The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby ArchieO » 07 Apr 2014, 00:38

From a Commander perspective I am honestly not overwhelmed by Iroas the Goblin War Drums effect is nice as is the Dolmen Gate effect but those are two cards that never really make the cut for me. Sure he is a seven power commander but getting him devoted and keeping it that way is tricky enough as it is.

I suspect that R/W tokens with a lot of anthem effects is the way I'm gonna build him (I have a project to build a deck for all of the gods, 10 down, 5 to go).

I honestly think Anax and Cymede is a more powerful deck for R/W tokens, you do need to run some janky cards for sure but that heroic effect can't be underestimated.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 07 Apr 2014, 01:51

In my experience, Anax and Cymede's heroic ability does not get a chance to shine in Commander. Granted, it heavily depends on how many combat tricks or other trigger effects you're running (I tend to include cards that kill other creatures over single-shot buffs), but it's still a card with rather high setup costs.

Iroas, on the other hand, will very definitely find a home in my deck (a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight angel tribal affair), as the particular combo of effects he grants will make it much, much harder to deal with my horde of flying things. In other words, yeah, Goblin War drums and Dolmen Gate are not that great, in isolation or as a double act. But, combine them into one card, make it indestructible, and give it a good, aggressive body? Sign me up!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 07 Apr 2014, 04:07

Between Iroas and the R for a 1/1 with the ol' "gets a +1/+1 counter" heroic ability, the RW heroic deck is going to make one hell of a resurgence in limited, if it doesn't end up one of those situations where everyone tries to pick it at once.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
BlackDragonMTG
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 07 Apr 2014, 09:52

I personally am a huge fan of boros my playset of reckoners will see at least one last jump in value before rotation. Not that I'd ever trade them away especially the foil wreckoner :) I think we could see a midrange naya deck happening. Dork into caraytid iroas in to aurelia t4 gg enjoy taking 20 just in one turn I like magical Christmas land lmao.

The starfish should see some play I think it's great block a weeny all day long then scry 1 eot. Pretty decent imo.

Not a lot of people seem to realize how bonkers that merfolk is going to be. I think it will see modern play in uxx control decks with snapcaster and uxx legacy control
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 07 Apr 2014, 15:19

I think the Dakra Mystic and Iroas both have potential implications for Modern. The Mystic doesn't seem to fit into any existing Legacy archetypes, since it's basically a worse Sensei's top. Merfolk doesn't want to run it, since it isn't something you want to attack with.
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 09 Apr 2014, 09:09

Can anyone recommend a Monogreen Aggro deck list? I kept all my Green cards in the event I got the desire to play again.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 09 Apr 2014, 14:34

What format do you want to play?
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Apr 2014, 15:50

CrazyMax46 wrote:Can anyone recommend a Monogreen Aggro deck list? I kept all my Green cards in the event I got the desire to play again.

I was actually updating my own Green Aggro - Greengro? Aggreen? Pau-per? - and was wondering what a Standard - or Commander - build would look like.
Credit to Foxmar
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 09 Apr 2014, 16:06

Since its my little sister's 21st birthday next week, I figured I'd take the opportunity to make another push to get her taking more of an interest in Magic again, and knowing how vast her adoration of all things pigs is, I decided to manipulate that to my advantage.

Presenting Pigs Can Fly, a R/U/G boar tribal deck, in which Levitation will result in such pigs as Zhur-Taa Swine and Flinthoof Boar to soar through the air, despite all the odds.

Clearly this isn't going to be a teribly competitive deck, but I've built it such that it ought to at least, mostly, function in a vaguely positive fashion. Its also mostly made up with cards that I've been able to find in my own collection, or trade for at very short notice, so there's a noticeable absence of the slightly better value older boars, but since the focus is more on the gimmick than the likelihood of success in any sort of competitive setting, I figure it ought to be okay.
CrazyMax46

Postby CrazyMax46 » 09 Apr 2014, 17:47

Jenelmo wrote:What format do you want to play?

Standard I guess. All of my Green cards are standard anyways.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 09 Apr 2014, 18:29

It's hard to say without knowing what you have available to you, but I do have a suggestion.

How about mono-green hexproof? You could use Gladecover Scout and Witchstalker as the main focus of the deck, with some solid bodies to back them up such as Kalonian Tusker and (depending on how expensive you want to go) Polukranos and Mistcutter Hydra (or Fleecemane Lion if you want to splash into another colour). Back that up with pants and combat tricks (for example, Boon Satyr, Trollhide, Ranger's Guile, Slaughterhorn, Giant Growth, Unflinching Courage if you go white, etc).
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 12 Apr 2014, 14:05

Was having a think this evening, and came up with what I believe to be a solid blue/white standard control deck. Having never really been that much into Azorius or control, it was a bit strange suddenly having the idea for this deck, and chances are it isn't actually particularly competitive, but I like the way it came out and I think it would be pretty fun to play, if it actually came together as I'd like it to.

Here is a convenient link to the deck list on TappedOut.net!

Of course, excluding the chance that I'd suddenly come into a very large sum of money, I doubt I'd ever raise the £125 or so that I'd need to acquire all the cards I'm missing, by which point it would be cheaper and more profitable to just buy a booster box of Theros, and trade for the difference, but a guy can dream.

Of course, if anyone has any improvements for it, I'd be happy to hear them, on the off chance I ever build a deck like this in the future.
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 12 Apr 2014, 15:01

Myrph wrote:Of course, if anyone has any improvements for it, I'd be happy to hear them, on the off chance I ever build a deck like this in the future.

What about Nightveil Specter? It would fit in with the theme of the deck and be a good early play that provides three early pips for Nykthos.
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 12 Apr 2014, 16:04

steric hindrance wrote:
Myrph wrote:Of course, if anyone has any improvements for it, I'd be happy to hear them, on the off chance I ever build a deck like this in the future.

What about Nightveil Specter? It would fit in with the theme of the deck and be a good early play that provides three early pips for Nykthos.

That looks pretty solid actually, and probably a much better play than Tromokratis. Which is sad really, as I've managed to accrue 8 of the foily promo Tromokratis and have no clue how I'm ever going to get any of them into a deck. Updated the deck removing Tromokratis and adding 3 Specters.

Edit - also removed the 3 plains plus an island to put in 4 Transguild Promenade. Delays curve more than already is the case, but let's me cast exiled cards of any colour.
CrazyMax46

Postby CrazyMax46 » 13 Apr 2014, 09:47

Shiny.

http://t.co/v4XfneSTHa

Hmm. Do I trade it in and get three Non-Foils? Or hold it and spend the $45 and get three more and have four?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 11:02

It's up to you. If you want Thoughtsiezes to play, then trade it in. If you can get three thoughtsiezes for it, that's a slightly good deal for you, at least from what I see online. Thoughtsieze goes for about $17 on Amazon, and the foil goes for about $45, or $47 on tcgplayer. If you can trade it in for enough value to get three, that's a solid deal.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 13 Apr 2014, 14:17

Another thing to consider. Before the reprint, Thoughtseize (non-foil) was pushing 80 dollars. Lorwyn foils currently sell for about 200-250 dollars. I'd certainly hold onto the foil. If anything, I'd recommend buying more foils now, while Theros foils are still cheap.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 14:27

That was pretty much my thinking too Volafortis. But then I realized that if you could get three for the one foil, that still evens out. Three $80 cards compared to one $200-250 cards. The non-foil versions will also likely be a lot easier to move in the future as well. If it was only two, or even two and some trade fodder, I wouldn't do it.

That said, I'd personally hold onto the foil myself. The fact is that if you have it now, it's going to get harder and harder to get later. So it seems better to hold onto it.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Apr 2014, 15:01

Long term value, the foil will be better than 3 regular ones. Eternal players love to foil their decks, and Thoughtseize gets played even in Legacy. Once it rotates out of standard, the regular ones will drop more than the foils.

On the other hand, if you want to play with them now, that does seem like a quick way to get most of a set.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 13 Apr 2014, 15:55

Also, foils retain value in the face of reprints much better. Lorwyn Thoughtseize is only 40 dollars now, but the foil is still around 200-250.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 13 Apr 2014, 16:06

I really need to sell my current 3 set of regular Thoughtseizes and pick up a playset of foils...
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 14 Apr 2014, 00:31

Funnily online that is far from the case, foils are worth far less that, Foil Lorwyn thoughtseize is only 18 online
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 14 Apr 2014, 01:36

I think it is because that people don't foil out their deck online much, i am foiling out both my legacy and modern and even though it is expensive i like the look, but i would never even consider trying to foil online even though it is cheaper as i don't like the look of the online foil
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 14 Apr 2014, 02:40

Yeah my friend said it best, MTGO is the only place where you are disappointed to run a foil copy rather than a regular one
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 14 Apr 2014, 04:54

You do know that you can turn foil off, so it is the same thing

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”