Let's make a LRR block

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Let's make a LRR block

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 08:30

Since a lot of us are designing cards for the TTCs and we are obviously fans of both LRR and MtG, why not create more than single cards and go for an entire block?

The current large set format has
101 commons
80 uncommons
53 rares
15 mythic rares

That's 249 cards in total, and of course there's 2 small sets to go...

The LRR ("Loading", "Ready" and "Run") block should be playable and fun to play, but it should also be funny and hit the relevant tropes. So there should probably be some element of cat tribal (in UB?) and draft strategies showcased by the LRR crew should be viable. The best hats deck has to be a thing (build around uncommon in Loading or Run or both?).

I can think of one ability word Flunge - Whenever all creatures you control attack, do X

A simple common cycle of flunge cards could look like this:
Flungebird - W, Creature-Bird, Flying, Flunge: Gain 1 life, 1/1
Flungecat - 1U, Creature-Cat, Flunge: Tap target creature an opponent controls 1/2
Flungezombie -1B, Creature Zombie, Flunge: Regenerate CARDNAME, 2/2
Flungegoblin - R, Creature Goblin, Flunge: CARDNAME deals 1 damage to target creature or player, 1/1
Flungebear - 1G, Creature Bear, Flunge: Cardname gains +1/+1 until EOT, 2/2

Flungelands (first set?, rarity?):
C-Flungeland - Land T:Add 1 to your mama pool, Flunge: Add C to your mana pool.

Oh, and if we can make this NWO compliant and not break the color wheel it'd be great.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Let's make a LRR block

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Apr 2014, 08:54

Ooh, this looks fun. I'm not so good at the nitty-gritty of card design, but I have a few general ideas.

The core crew (which is to say Graham, Kathleen, James, and Paul...we'd need a fifth to complete the cycle. Alex, maybe?) should each be a monocolor planeswalker, while their friends/contributors (Cam, Beej, Andy, etc.) should be two-color legendary creatures, representative of each guild.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 09:39

Moonbase
Legendary Land
Moonbase enters the battlefield tapped.
When Moonbase enters the battlefield, put a legendary 0/1 colorless Stark creature token with indestructible onto the battlefield.
Tap: Add 2 colorless to your mana pool.

There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase.

It's Mythic, of course.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Apr 2014, 09:52

I don't know if the crew should all be walkers and not have the 'extended' crew not be walkers as well. That seems off to me. In either case, I do think that Graham would be W, Kathleen B, James G, Paul is U, and Alex is for the 'core' crew.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Apr 2014, 10:01

Alex would probably be red, so that would finish the mono-color cycle. I like it.
Maya would be a thallid - Click to Expand

Never did put art in this thing...
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Apr 2014, 10:09

I would think that their colors should represent their favorites in life? Like Graham should be green, Kathleen should be black...

I don't think the entire crew should be walkers, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most number of planeswalkers in a block were the original Lorwyn Five. If we're staying true to Maguc's core tenets, we should stay true to the specialness of planeswalkers as well.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 10:11

I think starting with mythics creates problems. I'd like to get some more ideas for keywords and get the commons sorted out. That being said, usually there'd be 3 walkers in the large set and 1 in the following ones. So we'd have 5 walkers in total, but putting all of them in Loading would probably be too much.

But the rares and mythics are something that gets added later on.

And, yea, Alex in red would make a logical choice, providing a narrative of Alex finding his spark through crapshots...
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Apr 2014, 10:18

Maybe something like "Kickstarter" or "Kickstarted" could be a keyword, with a kicker-esque effect to it.

Maybe something like:

Crapshot
Instant
1R
Kickstarter 4R

Crapshot deals 3 damage to target player. If Crapshot was kickstarted, it also deals 3 damage to each creature that player controls.

So sort of like kicker, but with a higher cost and a more dramatic effect? For a "this couldn't have happened without you" sort of flavor?

susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 10:41

I like it - it could be hard to stay out of the overload territory, but I think there's a bit of design space there - and it's a mechanic that can go on instants and sorceries.

At 4RR there should be targets that can take 3 damage, so it's not quite a wrath effect.

And one card that would play well with Flunge using this:
Courage of Brickwork
Sorcery
1W
Kickstarter 3W
Target creature with defender gains first strike until the end of turn.
If CARDNAME was kickstarted, each creature with defender may attack as if it did not have defender until the end of turn.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 12 Apr 2014, 10:49

If we're basing this off normal design, you're looking at about 5 'walkers to a block, usually 3-1-1. Perhaps core crew (GKFP) be walkers of the block, with probably alex rounding it out (since of the extended crew, he seems a good fit for red).

If we're being serious about this, I think the first thing we need to do is divvy up the slots a bit more. Get an approximate creature/spell ratio for each colour, etc. MaRo's written and said some stuff wrt this, so something to look into.

Keyword, ability words, etc. are essential to have cohesion, if we want this to be more than an assortment of cards. The flunge mechanic is a cool idea, seems to go one of two ways. Either it's a triggered ability (when a player/you attacks with all creature they control, ...), or it's effects that include "all creatures you control must attack this turn if able"

You'd want to decide what matters in this block. This is a top-down design, so I think we need to focus on what the core essence of LRR is, and how it's best represented mechanically.

Fixing is always good, so it'd be nice to do a cycle of dual lands, perhaps using video settings/places in Victoria.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 11:18

Well, I'm serious. And yea, the design skeleton is one of the next steps, but I think I'll be easier to build that with an idea of what the mechanics are. If we end up with 3-color themes, we need more fixing (and would change the color breakdown), if we want to do artifacts matter, there should be a few artifacts at common.

As written flunge is a triggered ability. I think "As an additional cost, all creatures must attack this turn if able" is a cool mechanic as well. The question there is whether to keyword it or not (It's somewhat restricted in that it can only really go on sorceries with combat effects and maybe some creatures, if they get haste and "sac if it didn't attack" - otherwise the cost is easy to circumnavigate).
The danger with using both is that they might be too good together (overrun for 2GG with that rider, triggering all flungers). Of course making it a cost means that everybody has to attack, even if the spell is countered, making it extra swingy.

One way to deal with this would be to focus on different parts of the color pie with the two.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 12:25

I feel like it'd be best if we spread out the keywords so that Loading gets one or two while Ready and Run get one each. If this ends up being the case, we need at least three keywords, and we already have Flunge and Kickstarter. I'm thinking that another keyword could be Viral. For a card with Viral, it's written as Viral X, X being a number of creatures you control that you can tap as you cast it. A card with Viral could look something like this:

CARDNAME 2UG
Instant
Viral 3 (You may tap 3 untapped creatures you control as you play this spell. If you do, you may scry 2 before you draw or gain three extra life.)
Draw one card. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

It's basically a way to take a card and make it stronger by having it take up all of your creature's time (by tapping it).

EDIT: On another topic, will there be any "reprints" from actual sets? Because if so, we have to include Creepy Doll.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 12 Apr 2014, 12:44

Viral's got too much fiddly rules baggage going on the way you've written it for it to be a keyword ability. It should probably be templated:
Viral - As you cast this spell, you may tap three untapped creatures you control. If you do, choose one: scry 2 or gain two life.

reveal the top card of your library, gain life equal to its converted mana cost, and put it into your hand.

Unless you meant for Viral to be more like Kicker
Viral 3 (you may tap three creatures as you cast this spell)

If the Viral cost was paid, choose one: scry 2 or gain three life

(templating's kinda my thing. I like to look at what you're trying to do, then make it work within the rules)

But beside that, each color gets an equal share of commons, uncommons, and rares, with any leftovers going to gold or colorless artifact. The average distribution for creatures (spells that create tokens, too) that can attack is about 50% of all spells for the color, with W getting more creatures (about 55%), G second(about 52%), then R(50%), B(48%), then U(45%). This can be pushed to be heavier or lighter on creatures, but I'd keep the ratios at or above these levels, with R hitting the average, WG being above-average, and UB being below average.

So, we'll need about 12 creatures at common in W, 11 in G, 10 in R, 9 in B, and 8 in U.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 12:52

Well, large sets usually have about 5 keywords and the small ones introduce ~2.

So we could probably do with 7 keywords in total and not make it too unweildy.

Your card introduces Viral, but it also adds Scry to the mix and while returning a mechanic makes sense, I'm not sure we should go with Scry (because it's in Theros and has been in M11 as well).
Viral is interesting as it shuts down Flunge. It could help making the "attack if able as a cost" cards more powerful if they need it.
Then I think it could also work with Kickstarter:
CARDNAME 2UG
Instant
Kickstarter Tap 3 untapped creatures you control.
Reveal the top card of your library. You gain life qual to that cards converted mana cost. Draw a card. If CARDNAME was kickstarted gain 3 life.

Probably not a common and I can't really see paying for the Kickstarter.

Reprints: Sure. If they play well with the set.

Oh and on fixing: Duals at common would be a bit much unless we go heavy into gold. At Uncommon a cycle seems doable, at rare it makes sense, though I'd like to break it up rather than giving the full cycle in the large set.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 12 Apr 2014, 12:56

Regarding create counts, MaRo's mentioned they generally counts spells that create tokens as creatures, and creatures with defender as non-creatures.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 12 Apr 2014, 13:01

Yup. I think 12,11,10,9,8 works, though if there's a cycle of L or A at common, it should be 12,11,9,8,7 I think, cutting a spell from W and G, cutting a creature from UBR.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Apr 2014, 13:20

If we're worrying about which crewmembers to make Walkers, why don't we simply have the four 'pro' crewmembers as walkers in their own right (personal colour designation would be Graham W, Kathleen B, Paul U, James G), and have 'The Crew' as a final (R) planeswalker to complete the quintet? Each could also have individual (probably legendary creature) cards to give them some individuality. It would be a break with form to have a single walker representing multiple characters, but it would be fair and would save the debate as to who is the '5th most core' contributor.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 14:03

I like this idea. Regarding expansion symbols, I think it should be:
the 3 little dots: "Loading"
the big dot: "Ready"
the triangle: "Run"

What's everyone think about having YellowJacket as a legendary land? How about Card Kingdom? (I'm actually thinking of that being a land with Flash, to showcase their amazing shipping speed.)
Asthanius wrote:Moonbase
Legendary Land
Moonbase enters the battlefield tapped.
When Moonbase enters the battlefield, put a legendary 0/1 colorless Stark creature token with indestructible onto the battlefield.
Tap: Add 2 colorless to your mana pool.

There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase.

It's Mythic, of course.
Needs to add "If Stark leaves play, sacrifice Moonbase." (There are ways to get rid of that token unless you make it Hexproof, and still even then, I could cast Devour Flesh when it's your only creature out.)
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:If we're worrying about which crewmembers to make Walkers, why don't we simply have the four 'pro' crewmembers as walkers in their own right (personal colour designation would be Graham W, Kathleen B, Paul U, James G), and have 'The Crew' as a final (R) planeswalker to complete the quintet? Each could also have individual (probably legendary creature) cards to give them some individuality. It would be a break with form to have a single walker representing multiple characters, but it would be fair and would save the debate as to who is the '5th most core' contributor.
Sounds good.

Also, perhaps we should have some legendary creatures that represent their commodoreHUSTLE counterparts? I'm thinking of a card like "Mustache James"
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 12 Apr 2014, 14:48

Creatures are really going to be the biggest problem. It's easy to come up with Legendary creatures or Planeswalkers, based on Crew or characters, but regular creatures have to be ones where there can be multiple of them.

I tried to come up with some cards for something like this a while ago, split into 3 sets for LRR/CH, Friday Nights, and Desert Bus.

The only normal creature I could come up with was "Snuggie Cultist".

Anyway, since my progress was non-existent, here's what I had made:

Kathleen, Cat Lady 2WW
Legendary Creature — Human
T: Put a 2/2 Cat token into play under your control.
Tap an untapped Cat you control: Kathleen, Cat Lady gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Snuggie Cultists 2BB
Creature — Human
Other humans get -1/-1
3/3

Graham, Face Puncher GGGG
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have it fight target creature.
“How do you play Magic without counterspells?”
“By punching them in the face with your giant creatures”
3/3

Kathleen, Dimir Agent UUB
Flying
Sorcery spells you control have Cipher.
1/3

Cameron, Dapper Gentleman WB
B: Cameron, Dapper Gentleman gains deathtouch until the end of turn.
W: Cameron, Dapper Gentleman gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
2/2

Cameron, Exiled 2UR
Discard a card at random: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2
“I didn’t really feel like playing Commander anyway. Apparently it’s suppose to be a ‘fun’ format?”
2/3

Paul U/R
T: Put a Contraption artifact token onto the battlefield under target player’s control.
At the beginner of each player’s upkeep, that player flips a coin for each Contraption they control.
Whenever a player wins a coin flip, that player draws a card.
Whenever a player loses a coin flip, Paul deals 2 damage to that player.
1/1
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 14:49

I'm sorry, but I just had to post this once I thought of it:

Tim Hortons
Legendary Land
Tap: Add 1 red to your mana pool.
R, Tap: All creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Apr 2014, 14:52

AdmiralMemo wrote:Also, perhaps we should have some legendary creatures that represent their commodoreHUSTLE counterparts? I'm thinking of a card like "Mustache James"

Why not simply 'James' Mustache' as an equipment?

Although actually, this has got me thinking about structure- with regards to creatures, what about making the contributors/crewmembers themselves walkers & legendaries, but the regular creatures (or some of them at least) being various LRR characters? With the actor playing each character being the creature type. This also lends itself to some synergy within the setlist- so the Andy legendary creature might have 'All Andy-type creatures [Andies?] get +1/+1 for every musical number in play'.

Or something- I thought up that example on the fly.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 15:19

Great, now we need a way to get Steak Pork's Plank-Fried Jack Butt tokens to buff creatures with the MEN type.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 15:53

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:Also, perhaps we should have some legendary creatures that represent their commodoreHUSTLE counterparts? I'm thinking of a card like "Mustache James"
I was thinking about that... "Equipped creature gains +1/+0 and becomes a Dick in addition to its other creature types"?

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 15:59

AdmiralMemo wrote:
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
I was thinking about that... "Equipped creature gains +1/+0 and becomes a Dick in addition to its other creature types"?

Butt (5)
Artifact Creature - Construct
If you control at least one Dick, you may sacrifice Butt and target Dick and put a 6/9 colorless Dickbutt token on the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/3
Last edited by Asthanius on 12 Apr 2014, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 16:04

Token needs a color? Black? Colorless?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”