The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Re: The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

Postby Lemegeton » 16 Apr 2014, 01:38

i don't think pharika will see play. the decks that would want that effect are much happier with scavenging ooze and deathrite. after rotation she might see play as a reanimation hoser if nothing better comes along. a constellation deck is possible but we would need to see more good constellation cards in those colors.

some interesting limited cards spoiled today. that font cycle is kinda cool. the black one is easily the best IMO. the red one, like lava axe, will be a good finisher for the aggro decks.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Apr 2014, 07:51

The fonts seem fun. I really like the green font. Seems like some easy early mana ramp as long as you dont fight hyper aggressive aggro
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 16 Apr 2014, 07:54

Green Font is fun, seems like it would be good in a commander deck that could efficiently recur it or in an enchantress deck that would want to get the draw off it
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 16 Apr 2014, 10:58

Oh man, Bearer of the Heavens is hilarious. "You sure you want to kill my 10/10?"
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Apr 2014, 11:27

I love Bearer of the Heavens. That's the top of my list for 'I want to make this card do its thing'. Which is to say, I don't know if it will actually be a competitive inclusion in a limited deck, but I'm going to draft it anyway. At least once or twice.

That said, I don't really like any of the Fonts. There's a time and a place for some of them but I wonder if in the end they're just not really relevant.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 16 Apr 2014, 11:27

Bearer of the Heavens, sacced to Rescue from the Underworld = New Legacy reanimation strat. (But not really.)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 16 Apr 2014, 11:31

If you do it in a JBT draft, though, you need to stand up and dance around the table.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2014, 11:55

Lemegeton wrote:the black one is easily the best IMO. the red one, like lava axe, will be a good finisher for the aggro decks.

I disagree with you on the best. I feel the blue one is easily the best, and might even be constructed playable in a control shell, replacing Divination. The fact is that you can play it on turn 2, then leave it until you're ready to crack it. When you want to crack it, you can leave the mana open, allowing you to hold back a counterspell or some removal just in case, then crack it at their EoT.

Getting back creatures from your yard is fine, but it comes at a high cost and that normally means you're already behind. So you might not have those extra turns to recast them all. The red is expensive and I'm not sure it'll be worth it. But the extra 5 surprise damage can come in useful. White is just bad. The green is likely the second best in my opinion. It's not great, but it allows for fixing and ramp. Likely not enough to see play, but pretty solid in limited.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 16 Apr 2014, 14:22

Kapol wrote:I disagree with you on the best. I feel the blue one is easily the best, and might even be constructed playable in a control shell, replacing Divination. The fact is that you can play it on turn 2, then leave it until you're ready to crack it. When you want to crack it, you can leave the mana open, allowing you to hold back a counterspell or some removal just in case, then crack it at their EoT.

I agree. It's not necessarily the most powerful in isolation - rampant growth is a really good ramp spell and divination is decent card draw, but not amazing. But in blue being able to drop this early and activate it at a cost equal to most good counters makes it a lot better. That being said, I could see the green one getting played in the same type of deck. If blue-green control/ramp is a thing, it has the same ability of sitting there waiting for your opponents EOT.

The black one wants cheap creatures with either ETB or sac effects to get decent and in both cases, the Whip does the same job AND has a good static ability on top. If you want to drop an Overlord twice, doing it for 4 with haste rather than for 10 seems like a good deal, even if you have to exile it. The same with Gary.

On Pharika and constellation - Strength of the Fallen is a bit of a nonbo, but Eidolon of Blossoms seems really good with her and Doomwake Giant can produce big blowouts. Enough to make a deck? I doubt it.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 16 Apr 2014, 15:10

The blue Font is almost a reprint of Courier's Capsule and having played with the capsule i don't think it is good enough for standard
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 16 Apr 2014, 15:20

It could be, after Sphinx's Rev rotates, but it's not perfect.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2014, 15:43

susu.exp wrote:The black one wants cheap creatures with either ETB or sac effects to get decent and in both cases, the Whip does the same job AND has a good static ability on top. If you want to drop an Overlord twice, doing it for 4 with haste rather than for 10 seems like a good deal, even if you have to exile it. The same with Gary.

That main argument with that would be that the black one is a common, while whip is a rare. But you'd like to get creatures with ETC or sac effects to make it work. And even then, it feels like Rescue From The Underworld is just better.

Duckay wrote:It could be, after Sphinx's Rev rotates, but it's not perfect.

I'm mostly thinking as a replacement for Divination in the decks that run them. While it cost one more in the end, the fact you can actually crack it at their EoT to allow you to hold up stuff makes me think it might be better than Divination in those decks. But the question more boils down to what else those decks are doing turn 2. If they'd rather drop an Omenspeaker or that new Merfolk turn 2, then they'd likely rather just have Divination to stay on-curve.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 16 Apr 2014, 16:26

MowDownJoe wrote:Bearer of the Heavens, sacced to Rescue from the Underworld = New Legacy reanimation strat. (But not really.)

Alternatively, putting everything (including the Bearer of the Heavens) into one pile with Whims of the Fates and successfully rolling critical, making everyone else's pile choices pointless and miserable.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Apr 2014, 16:32

sac Bearer, then regen or indestructible some of your stuff. Win.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2014, 16:39

Utilitarian wrote:sac Bearer, then regen or indestructible some of your stuff. Win.

You're likely going to want to go with Boros Charm outside of limited. It's one of the few things that gives EVERYTHING indestructible in standard.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Apr 2014, 17:02

True, but realistically even just something like a Polukranos against an opponent starting from 0 permanents is likely enough for a win.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2014, 17:11

Boros Charm just makes better rub-ins. "Man, I LOVE having lands. And creatures. And other stuff. Don't you? Oh... right."
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Apr 2014, 20:35

Banishing Light: Oblivion Ring is back, and it's HUNGRY
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 16 Apr 2014, 20:42

Looks like LRR got a nice one for their spoiler. One card and 2 mana at instant speed to take care of all your opponents Thassa or Erebos or any other god? And can even take care of a Detention Sphere, Underword Connections, or other relevant enchantments. I think there are some decks out there that would be interested in such a card.

Also, insane art, flavor, and even flavor text, not to mention completely playable in limited. All-around very sweet.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Apr 2014, 23:29

While Renowned Weaver isn't impressive in any way (a fine card, though), I LOVE the Greek Mythology flavor of it. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Apr 2014, 01:45

Kapol wrote:
Lemegeton wrote:the black one is easily the best IMO. the red one, like lava axe, will be a good finisher for the aggro decks.

I disagree with you on the best. I feel the blue one is easily the best, and might even be constructed playable in a control shell, replacing Divination. The fact is that you can play it on turn 2, then leave it until you're ready to crack it. When you want to crack it, you can leave the mana open, allowing you to hold back a counterspell or some removal just in case, then crack it at their EoT.

Getting back creatures from your yard is fine, but it comes at a high cost and that normally means you're already behind. So you might not have those extra turns to recast them all. The red is expensive and I'm not sure it'll be worth it. But the extra 5 surprise damage can come in useful. White is just bad. The green is likely the second best in my opinion. It's not great, but it allows for fixing and ramp. Likely not enough to see play, but pretty solid in limited.

i was only referring to limited, sorry. the good black decks in the current limited format tend to be attrition based and are built for the long game. a lot of the time you don't have anything relevant to do on turn 2 so playing one of these that gives you the option to get back 3 creatures down the road is really good in that deck. that's just my experience. :D i didn't think any of them would hit constructed when i read them but i like your thinking on the blue one replacing divination possibly.
Last edited by Lemegeton on 17 Apr 2014, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Apr 2014, 01:46

JQuill wrote:Looks like LRR got a nice one for their spoiler. One card and 2 mana at instant speed to take care of all your opponents Thassa or Erebos or any other god? And can even take care of a Detention Sphere, Underword Connections, or other relevant enchantments. I think there are some decks out there that would be interested in such a card.

Also, insane art, flavor, and even flavor text, not to mention completely playable in limited. All-around very sweet.

that card is insane. bye bye revoke existence.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Apr 2014, 01:51

Lemegeton wrote:
JQuill wrote:Looks like LRR got a nice one for their spoiler. One card and 2 mana at instant speed to take care of all your opponents Thassa or Erebos or any other god? And can even take care of a Detention Sphere, Underword Connections, or other relevant enchantments. I think there are some decks out there that would be interested in such a card.

Hardly. Revoke Existence hits artifacts, this doesn't. When you consider that cards like Erase exist (in magic, not in standard), Diecide doesn't seem really insane at all outside of standard. It is one hell of a god-hoser though, and will almost certainly see some sideboard play, since the gods have proven to be pretty decent.

And, the flavor, name, and art are all fantastic, of course.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 17 Apr 2014, 01:55

Volafortis wrote:
Lemegeton wrote:

Hardly. Revoke Existence hits artifacts, this doesn't. When you consider that cards like Erase exist (in magic, not in standard), Diecide doesn't seem really insane at all outside of standard. It is one hell of a god-hoser though, and will almost certainly see some sideboard play, since the gods have proven to be pretty decent.

And, the flavor, name, and art are all fantastic, of course.

i don't play anything other than standard and limited so for me its insane. godsend is the only non enchantment artifact that could see play in standard and that's not enough for revoke to see play over Deicide.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 17 Apr 2014, 04:41

When I saw Iroas I figured we would also see a new god-hoser card, because otherwise Iroas is nigh-unstoppable in limited with the handful of exile cards in BNG and THS. Lo and behold, we get a very specific god-hoser card! Unfortunately it's at rare.

The new O-ring is lovely. Always good to see a classic come around, even if you can't do stack shenaniganery this time. O-ring is powerful enough for it's "intended" purpose that you don't need that for it to be a good card.

In other news, Grave Pact didn't really need flash, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have it!
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”