The Gatekeeper

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Re: The Gatekeeper

Postby ch3m1kal » 21 Apr 2014, 06:16

The bush dive made it for me. It was just... perfect.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 21 Apr 2014, 07:58

I think having G up on top of...something...for that silhouette shot was awesome. Although, I had this thought of his cape getting caught on something and him falling off the perch.

This was hilarious, I see these people all the time, and try to avoid being this person. A hilarious sketch and I hope to see more like it!
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 21 Apr 2014, 08:48

So butt-slapping, much bro, wow.
DericWadleigh
First Video: Crapshots Ep. 25 - The Punishment

Re: NEW VIDEO! - The Gatekeeper

Postby DericWadleigh » 21 Apr 2014, 09:29

AdmiralMemo wrote:Theft of Wii-mote and calling police: Yes! :D

So i'm gonna be one of those people. It wasn't a Wii-mote. It was a Sonic Screwdriver. Yes, I have seen every episode of who in existence and listened to every radio story that I could get my hands on. And John Hurt does count. If you wanted that argument, you should've mentioned Peter Cushing. Oh that gets some people raging.

<--- Check the avatar yo.

Anyway, this video had me rolling with laughter. Funniest thing you guys have done in a long time. Whenever I wear my Fedora I'm going to have to start yelling "I am the gatekeeper." at some of my friends when they do.... things.... *Shudder*.
"Hi! I'm the Doctor! Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off!"
DeltaStrata
First Video: Canada is Sorry

Postby DeltaStrata » 21 Apr 2014, 09:35

A lolerful video. That squealing bush dive was superb.

Clypheous wrote:I think having G up on top of...something...for that silhouette shot was awesome. Although, I had this thought of his cape getting caught on something and him falling off the perch.

That bit was green-screened. If the over-the-shoulder shot were real, the reflections of the red lights on the left (as compared to those for the behind-the-back shot) would be higher up on the side of the building and further down on the tiles.
Thank you for calling tech support, how can I be the outlet of your misplaced frustrations today?
MrWhitekeys
First Video: ENN

Postby MrWhitekeys » 21 Apr 2014, 11:46

DericWadleigh wrote:

So i'm gonna be one of those people. It wasn't a Wii-mote. It was a Sonic Screwdriver.

I think it was a sonic screwdriver Wii-mote. It has a d-pad and buttons on it.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 21 Apr 2014, 11:55

DericWadleigh wrote:[...]And John Hurt does count. If you wanted that argument, you should've mentioned Peter Cushing. Oh that gets some people raging.

Peter Cushing is sort of an alternate reality Doctor, where the Doctor is human. Quite an interesting idea IMO, and -- excluding the Metacrisis Doctor -- one that hasn't been explored a lot.

As for John Hurt, as you said, he does count. The only way he wouldn't count is if you are only talking about the pre-2005 Doctors, and then you have the issue of the Shalka Doctor, so then you have to say pre-2003, and then there are some other weird things to deal with(Such as the Valeyard), so it's best to just avoid hassle and include John Hurt.

Anyway, great video guys. :) I personally do my best not to be The Gatekeeper, and I usually end up being an anti-Gatekeeper(Which is to say, I try to out-pedantic them, and I usually win), although I do sometimes show Gatekeeper tendencies(As I'm sure we all do sometimes)...
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 21 Apr 2014, 12:07

MrWhitekeys wrote:
DericWadleigh wrote:

So i'm gonna be one of those people. It wasn't a Wii-mote. It was a Sonic Screwdriver.

I think it was a sonic screwdriver Wii-mote. It has a d-pad and buttons on it.

upon a second viewing of the video, I can safely say that it is indeed a sonic wii-mote. You can purchase one here: http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Doctor-Scre ... wii+remote

I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere but amazon was the quickest to locate.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 21 Apr 2014, 12:14

Oh dear, in my weaker moments, I've definitely been the Gatekeeper, particularly when it comes to Doctor Who. But then, we've all made mistakes...

Anyhow this was a great video all round, Graham diving into the bush and Alex's little butt-slapp had me rolling XD.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 21 Apr 2014, 12:44

Amake wrote:So it's not a fedora, but just looks enough like one to fool the untrained eye?

I don't know if this was what was discussed on the stream, but just about everyone that gets called a "fedora wearer" disparagingly is actually wearing a trilby. The misconception is so large that when I just tried to image search "fedora", most of the results are either trilbies, or Linux screenshots.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
kade_zero
First Video: The LoadingReadyRap

Postby kade_zero » 21 Apr 2014, 15:00

I definitely recognize this guy from the internet.
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 21 Apr 2014, 18:34

just so wonderful. When my wife cracks up hard at a LRR sketch, I know its one of their best. She loves you guys, she doesn't isn't a big laugher, so when she does, its gold.
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby Beej » 22 Apr 2014, 00:06

Omega Lairon wrote:Also, Beej makes a scarily convincing brony.

My actual lock screen.

Honest to God.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1iylul4adedjbv/2014-04-22%2001.00.56.png
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 22 Apr 2014, 01:30

So yeah, this one hits really quite very close to home.
I like to think of it as an angry complement to Internet Opinions. Like, Paul is actively working to stop people like Graham's Gatekeeper from, well, doing what they do.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
charl
First Video: First episode of Check Point

Postby charl » 22 Apr 2014, 01:38

I am not sure I am actually allowed to like this, but nonetheless: excellent video.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 22 Apr 2014, 05:38

Beej wrote:

My actual lock screen.

Honest to God.

We need a cHustle where Matt and Beej just have a complete Brony geekout. ...If we can ever get Matt to show up again.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 22 Apr 2014, 08:30

Oh my god there is a 30 post long thread in the youtube comments of people arguing about how Anita Sarkeesian is a fraud because she doesn't really like games

I can't

how can someone miss the point so spectacularly

like it sailed straight over their heads.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 08:41

So meta. Much stupid. Wow.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 22 Apr 2014, 16:22

I really, REALLY need to stop responding to these comments.

NO MORE. I PROMISE.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 22 Apr 2014, 16:35

The Gatekeeper is also known as Cat Piss Man.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 23 Apr 2014, 08:59

I hope SO BADLY that the Loading Time for this episode includes footage of how Graham did that bush-dive. I'd love to see how that looked from another angle. I think I'd throw out my back if I tried a stunt like that.

This episode is also a great spiritual successor to the satirical "Internet Opinions" from earlier in the year. It is important to remember that the joke is on The Gatekeeper character, and that LRR is using comedy and wit as a weapon to criticize people who behave like this, hopefully into improvement.

I think the MLP scene was meant to compound the hypocrisy of The Gatekeeper character, where his own self-proclaimed role as lone decider and arbiter still didn't hold up to scrutiny. He ended up both attacking and defending a MLP fan and in the end couldn't justify his own bullshit. The joke was not on MLP fans whatsoever.

I've watched this half a dozen times already, and it is just such an electric and lively sketch. Great work!
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 23 Apr 2014, 15:04

MowDownJoe wrote:
Beej wrote:

My actual lock screen.

Honest to God.

We need a cHustle where Matt and Beej just have a complete Brony geekout. ...If we can ever get Matt to show up again.

I don't think they're paying for another limo.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Apr 2014, 18:27

AlexanderDitto wrote:Oh my god there is a 30 post long thread in the youtube comments of people arguing about how Anita Sarkeesian is a fraud because she doesn't really like games

I can't

I got as far as "Words words words blah words Anita Sarkeesian. [Click to view all 40 replies]" and immediately responded "Nope" and backed out of the thread.

... and then came back and read it anyway, because I'm a masochist with no self control. But what I read made me wish I hadn't.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 24 Apr 2014, 23:26

AlexanderDitto wrote:Oh my god there is a 30 post long thread in the youtube comments of people arguing about how Anita Sarkeesian is a fraud because she doesn't really like games

I can't

This is one of my other experiences with the internet, where you can set your watch to the slight woosh of something going over someone's head.

Usually I attribute it to people not reading, but it's a video in this case.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 25 Apr 2014, 03:17

I probably wouldn't like videogames either if I became the target of a torrent of death threats and photomanipulations depicting my rape when I opened my mouth to talk about videogames. But I wonder how Sarkeesian's taste in entertainment would relate to her observations about the toxicity of videogame culture. Kind of like saying, how can your cancer research give any meaningful results? You don't even LIKE cancer!
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”