Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Apotheosis

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Apotheosis

Postby Graham » 22 Apr 2014, 20:30

Kathleen and Cam mope while Alex and Graham talk about the new cards from Journey into Nyx. The Oracle of Theros talks to Kathleen. And then it's time for the Prerelease, where nobody plays their usual colors.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Apotheosis

Postby Professor STAFF » 22 Apr 2014, 21:35

Ah, does it feel good to get my Friday Nights fix! When's the next episode in the Prime Storyline? I feel like we missed a month? Speaking of which...

Of Prologues & Previously: I liked a "Previously! On Friday Nights!" It was a fun way to address the fact this is a specific storyline arc separate from the regular Friday Nights episodes, but it also had a madcap "90s TNG & Similar Shows" quality to it that I found delightful.

Much Needed Apathy: Cam and Kathleen's misery was a much needed injection of reality for this arc. Several of the middle episodes have felt a little "ad heavy" where characters can't break free of the constraints of loving nothing but Magic: the Gathering and how it operates. Cam whining about no reprint of Serum Visions, which if his Tweets are to be trusted, is based on his real opinion, had me both laughing as well as crying in commissary. Have I said in every single post previous what a great addition tot he Friday Nights cast Cam is? Let me restate that.

Limitless Resources: I have to thank the cross-pollination of Friday Nights for turning me on to Limited Resources. I'm not a limited player, but I enjoy the podcasts. Here, "The Oracle" really wins me over by telling Kathleen to get over the fact she lost (It's a game! Sometimes you lose!) and go play Magic and have fun. This is what Friday Nights is all about.

Color Blindness: I also enjoyed everyone choosing different colors. Cam going for red and Alex doing mono black, etc. Again, this is very true to prerelease for most of us, and I enjoyed that humorous look at the reality of the game.

For a moment I thought this was the end of the arc, but then realized we still have 2 more episodes. Color me impressed. I was electrified by the first episode in this path, but found myself preferring the regular "Friday Nights" for the other episodes. The Apotheosis recaptured that spark for me (no pun intended) and I think that's largely due to the allowances of regular Friday Nights/Commodore Hustle characteristics and jokes to trickle in.

Overall Grade: A

Shameful Confession: This episode is called "The Apotheosis." True story: I learned the word 'apotheosis' from an episode of The Tick, where Sewer Urchin remarks that in the sewer, he is the apotheosis of cool. Arthur confusedly asks, "Did...did he just say APOTHEOSIS?" and I ran to to dictionary to look the word up. For all of my adult life, whenever I say apotheosis (and I say it a lot!) I always feel like a sham because I learned that word from a cartoon...at age 17. I'm a professor of English. Great episode! I'm going to go drink now.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 22 Apr 2014, 21:52

In constrast to the above post, my opinion on this episode:
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Apr 2014, 22:35

Confession: I didn't know what apotheosis meant until I looked it up just now.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Apr 2014, 22:58

Confession: I only learned the word apotheosis a few years ago, and that was from a D&D book. Looking it up now, I realize the definition I thought it had was narrower than the real one.

Also, the music here immediately reminded me of something, and I can't figure out what it is. The closest thing I can think of is this, and that's probably it, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something that's even more similar. It's weird.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Apr 2014, 05:34

I really liked the episode, especially the introduction. The (we maybe have not been totally clear about that) line was killer.

I liked the flash back to previous episodes and Kathleen and Marshal with follow up graham was just perfectly written and delivered with precise timing that really punched it up.

one thing and maybe its just me did anyone else feel that the Cam/Kathleen conversation at the end felt a little choppy?
Like the lines were written as lines not as a conversation?
Also how can this be the Apotheosis if there are two more? are the release day and game day ones going to be bad episodes? or will they be "The Apotheosis 2" and "No this time we mean it".
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 23 Apr 2014, 09:48

The last 2 will be the Falling action and the conclusion?

I like to imagine the Heroes Path Graham ran around the apartment to locate the cats before confronting Kathleen
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 23 Apr 2014, 09:58

KiteNeravar wrote:I like to imagine the Heroes Path Graham ran around the apartment to locate the cats before confronting Kathleen

Hero's Path Graham is not the sharpest Graham in the Loading Ready Run multiverse. I get the feeling that Commodore Hustle Graham and Friday Nights (Prime) Graham get together and make fun of him a bit.

EDIT: Although he might stomp on them both in a Greek trivia contest or Theros flavor test.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Apr 2014, 20:33

It is so named for a late stage in the hero's journey, but not the final stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
MinuteWalt
First Video: Prince of Persia (2008)

Postby MinuteWalt » 24 Apr 2014, 01:06

This has bugged the hell out of me from day one when this character was first introduced:

Kathleen is talking to an *MP3* on "play" for all of these. It shows the time played and the time left to the end.

It's right there!

A phone call won't show the the total length of a conversation before you hang up, or show a progress bar indicating how long that conversation will last!

Maybe iPhones are creepy-weird that way, and can predict the length of a phone call. I've never had one, so I DON'T KNOW. That may be a Droid weak-spot no one talks about.

Seriously, has no one else noticed this?

PS: the mystery man has a great voice. Not quite Tom-Hardy-as-Bane, and nowhere near George Takei's eloquence. Quite pleasing nonetheless.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Apr 2014, 01:37

3:00 onwards. The Oracle has always been a magical (in both senses) podcast, not a call, hence why Kathleen refuses to tell Graham why she's talking to her phone about Magic.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 24 Apr 2014, 04:51

The Hubris joke killed me, seriously. Sometimes things just go very right with things like these.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Apr 2014, 07:08

I think the quality of these is why I nit pick, I get so wrapped up in how amazing they are that something that is 'just good' sticks out.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Apr 2014, 11:14

Fair enough, I appreciate that :)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 24 Apr 2014, 19:05

MinuteWalt wrote:Kathleen is talking to an *MP3* on "play" for all of these. It shows the time played and the time left to the end.

PS: the mystery man has a great voice. Not quite Tom-Hardy-as-Bane, and nowhere near George Takei's eloquence. Quite pleasing nonetheless.

She's talking to Marshall Sutcliffe of the Limited Resources podcast. He does have a very nice voice. So far he's never started speaking to me directly as the Oracle of Theros, but it could happen...
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 25 Apr 2014, 13:25

Jamfalcon wrote:Also, the music here immediately reminded me of something, and I can't figure out what it is. The closest thing I can think of is this, and that's probably it, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something that's even more similar. It's weird.

A staccato riff of similar rhythm was also used in Macarena. Is that what you're thinking of?
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Apr 2014, 15:20

UNHchabo wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:Also, the music here immediately reminded me of something, and I can't figure out what it is. The closest thing I can think of is this, and that's probably it, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something that's even more similar. It's weird.

A staccato riff of similar rhythm was also used in Macarena. Is that what you're thinking of?

Probably not, I'm not very familiar with it. My mind is probably just making connections where there are none.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 26 Apr 2014, 14:22

MinuteWalt wrote:This has bugged the hell out of me from day one when this character was first introduced:

Kathleen is talking to an *MP3* on "play" for all of these. It shows the time played and the time left to the end.

It's right there!

A phone call won't show the the total length of a conversation before you hang up, or show a progress bar indicating how long that conversation will last!

Maybe iPhones are creepy-weird that way, and can predict the length of a phone call. I've never had one, so I DON'T KNOW. That may be a Droid weak-spot no one talks about.

Seriously, has no one else noticed this?

Go back and rewatch the scene with Graham asking who she is talking to. It's not intended to be a phone call. It's an "oracle" who communicates through the Limited Resources podcast...

Return to “MtG”