The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 02 May 2014, 07:20

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 May 2014, 07:26

Congratulations.
I need a massive bucket load of good winds so if you have some spare please pass them my way if you could.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 02 May 2014, 08:14

I need some of my good wind for an appointment of my own today. But I can break off a piece and share with you, if you don't mind a bit of broken wind.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 02 May 2014, 08:18

Fezzul, you're breaking wind? How disgusting!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 02 May 2014, 08:49

Darkobra wrote:He's got this. In fact, he's so got this that I can say this.

She sues Twitter?! So she has a lot of money too! KEEPER!

Clearly not, or else she wouldn't have to keep suing.
Image Image Image
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 02 May 2014, 22:29

Met another OKCupid girl today. Also very nice. Fun and friendly, made her laugh. This whole thing is going well so far.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 03 May 2014, 23:56

Date go well. Story about tomorrow, too tired to write words good
Image Image Image
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 May 2014, 02:28

Nice.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 04 May 2014, 02:47

Great Sieg Reyu :)

Good news here as well. The girl I've been seeing since december was finally able to call me boyfriend, it's a big deal since she's quite afraid of commitment.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 04 May 2014, 09:53

Okay, so a while back, I did something to my car and ever since, the serpentine belt has been squealing. I went to get it fixed once upon a time, and the guy quoted it as costing several billion (not really) dollars to fix, so I decided not to, since that seemed like an absurd price. But yesterday, I decided it would make me look better if I didn't have a horrendous sounding car, so I finally decided to replace it myself. Buy one from a local auto zone, pick up an extendable ratchet, and take it home.

I pop the hood, and it seems like the problem is, there is this little piece of plastic that covers part of the belt, and shows the schematic for how it runs. But part of what was holding it up has broke off, so the belt has been rubbing against it. I decide it can't be that important, so I take it off and replace the belt. I then notice that there is a cable that runs above where that plastic was and realize that maybe that plastic kept the too from touching. So I zip tie it to another cable hoping it will keep it away. I head off, but I listen to this gut feeling that says I should keep the tool kit with me.

She lives a little over an hour away, and about 40 minutes later, I pull up into a town, and I start hearing this sound like someone hitting the rim of a drum with drum sticks. I think it's part of the song, so I ignore it. But then the song changes, and I realize the sound persists, so I pull over and pop the hood. It looks like the zip tie wasn't enough, and the cord was rubbing against it. The plastic sheath is completely gone, and a segment of the belt has shredded and that was what was slapping against the hood making that noise.

First, I dig around for something in my car to fix the cord problem, I manage to find something to tie it to a cross bar, but I've still got this belt to worry about. A couple of guys eventually stop by to help, one of them just cuts off the loose bit for me and tells me I should probably go back. The next guys tells me that there is an Auto Zone like three blocks away around the corner. Awesome

I get there and they're willing to replace the belt even though it was probably me fault. I get the new one on and ask them to take a look at it to see if I got it on right. Turns out I did not, and that might have contributed to why the first belt got damaged. I get it back on there, and then we notice that the belt isn't riding fully on the tensioner. So he tells me I probably have to replace that.

I buy one, and thankfully I kept that tool kit. Her's a fun fact for you, in a 2003 Impala, to replace the tensioner, you have to remove the coolant tank. To remove the coolant tank, you have to loosen this giant cross bar. Thankfully, the tutorial I watched earlier demonstrated how to do those things in case you had problems replacing the belt. So I get all that unscrewed, and I get the ridiculously hot tensioner off and I put on the new one.

I bring the guy out again, the problem persists, realize it's because the "Harmonic Balancer" is bad, and it's not something I can easily replace. BUt he lets me take the new tensioner off and trade it back in for the other part, so I have to switch that back. Thankfully, I'm not an idiot, so I hadn't put the tank back yet. So another few minutes and I get that done.

No, at this point, I have fixed two problems out of three that could have caused the belt to become damaged. It is an hour and a half past when our date was supposed to start and I'm still half an hour away, but I've been texting her about my situation and she's been gracious about it. I decide, I've already come this far, I'm starving, and if something goes bad, her city is closer than mine. So I tell her I'm on my way.

Thankfully I get there without any problems, driving 55 on the instate just to be safe, and the date goes well, or at least in my opinion it did. We catch the late showing of Shpidaman 2 and since she works at the theater we get in free. We talk for a while because we got there an hour before it started and during the movie, I pull the old yawn arm move, and she sort of leaned closer when I did, so I think she dug it. I have a few gripes with the movie, but we both enjoyed it, but it's now almost 1 o clock, so we decide it's best that I head home now. I decide to take a different route along the interstate home because it takes me to Marion, a town I drive to a lot, so I know the route from there to home really well. The interstate splits at one point, and I go the wrong way, I realize immediately, but it still takes about 15 minutes for me to get back to where I was. I pull up google maps on my phone to be sure I don't mess up again. But it tells me now that I'm heading towards St. Louis, which is definitely the wrong way. I'm hoping it just isn't sure of where I'm at, so I keep checking where it thinks I am , but it doesn't change, so I start to second guess myself and think I might have actually went the right way the first time. But just as I'm about to pull of on an exit and circle back, I see a sign that's says it's 28 miles to the town I'm heading to. I breathe a sigh of relief and keep on trucking.

Rest is rather uneventful, driving 55 means I don't get to Marion until 2 o clock, and home until 2 30. I make sure she knows I'm safe and then I hope on the LRR forums to tell everybody the date went well and then head to bed.
Image Image Image
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 May 2014, 10:32

Car trouble aside, sounds like it went well. And that she was willing to wait that long is probably a good sign!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 04 May 2014, 10:42

I like to focus on the positives, if it works out, it makes for a bitchin' first date story to tell everyone forever.
Image Image Image
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 04 May 2014, 15:26

Nice one, lad ;)
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 04 May 2014, 15:33

Mums and Sieg, kudos!
:D
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 May 2014, 03:03

Speaking to someone has given me a boost in confidence, I just have to deal with the trepidation of having to wait longer to ask.
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 05 May 2014, 06:56

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Assuming you're both comfortable doing so, could you provide any explanation for the event?

Are you asking me or someone else?
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
Kortanios

Postby Kortanios » 05 May 2014, 09:17

Nice one Sieg!
Ergo bibamus!
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 05 May 2014, 19:16

Went on second date with OKC girl number one. I like her, but I feel like we're looking for different things. Not a problem, seeing a few girls at the moment. I hate to say the phrase "shopping around" but that's what it feels like...
Kortanios

Postby Kortanios » 06 May 2014, 04:28

Well, joined OKC a few months ago. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I barely ever get responses when sending out messages... Is it something about my profile?
Ergo bibamus!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 06 May 2014, 07:41

Kortanios wrote:Well, joined OKC a few months ago. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I barely ever get responses when sending out messages... Is it something about my profile?

If I wanted to go in detail, there a lot of little critiques. However, the overarching feedback that I have for you would be thus: You repeatedly state that you are going to be traveling a lot in the nearish future. To me this says "not available." Not saying you shouldn't travel, but maybe you shouldn't be trying to establish a new relationship right before leaving the country?
Kortanios

Postby Kortanios » 06 May 2014, 09:51

Thanks. Yea, I see what you mean. The only problem being that effectively I am only going to be staying in one place for a few months at a time over then next one and a half years, after that do a PhD so be settled in one place for 3-4 years, but all the places I would want to do a PhD in are nowhere close to anywhere I would want to work. After that all my actual career aspirations are things that would involve moving at least every couple of years and/or traveling a lot in general, even if that doesn't work out essentially the "I'm not going to be staying around here" factor would rule out any serious relationship until I am almost 30...
Ergo bibamus!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 06 May 2014, 10:08

Kortanios wrote:Thanks. Yea, I see what you mean. The only problem being that effectively I am only going to be staying in one place for a few months at a time over then next one and a half years, after that do a PhD so be settled in one place for 3-4 years, but all the places I would want to do a PhD in are nowhere close to anywhere I would want to work. After that all my actual career aspirations are things that would involve moving at least every couple of years and/or traveling a lot in general, even if that doesn't work out essentially the "I'm not going to be staying around here" factor would rule out any serious relationship until I am almost 30...

Maybe I should also give you the relevant facts about me. F, mid-30s, working on my PhD, perpetually single. Maybe I'm not the best one to give advice, but I am an example of what's out there.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 May 2014, 10:26

Kortanios wrote:Thanks. Yea, I see what you mean. The only problem being that effectively I am only going to be staying in one place for a few months at a time over then next one and a half years, after that do a PhD so be settled in one place for 3-4 years, but all the places I would want to do a PhD in are nowhere close to anywhere I would want to work. After that all my actual career aspirations are things that would involve moving at least every couple of years and/or traveling a lot in general, even if that doesn't work out essentially the "I'm not going to be staying around here" factor would rule out any serious relationship until I am almost 30...

Perhaps it's slightly callous to think so, but I reckon 'I might not be around for long' isn't quite first-date material. A relationship that lasts 3 months or so and ends up having to be broken off due to circumstance is still a relationship, and quite possibly one worth having, but unless such a situation is forced upon them very few would actively go looking for it. So essentially... just don't mention it. You and others might have some more fun along the way.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 06 May 2014, 10:33

Yeah "I'm not going to be around long" sounds like you're seeding a good, credible excuse you can use later to cut her short if you don't like the first date. Looks like you're being humorous about yourself though, that's always good, as far as what I like to see in a profile page.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 06 May 2014, 11:18

I think it's important to let people know you won't be around long. If they're looking long-term, take a chance with you and you just pack up and go, tears will be shed.

You shouldn't be expecting many dates with the circumstance you're in but it's better than complicating things a few months down the line.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “General Discussion”