Dark Souls General

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Dark Souls General

Postby Alex Steacy » 15 Jun 2014, 14:16

Want to talk about Dark Souls / Demon's Souls / Dark Souls II / Bloodborne?

Slam your questions, answers, thoughts and stories here!
Alex Steacy

Re: Dark Souls General

Postby Alex Steacy » 15 Jun 2014, 14:21

I liek dark soels
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 15 Jun 2014, 14:33

oooooh... that's what the last dozen streams were about. Makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Jun 2014, 14:36

I too like Dark Souls. However, I'm just about to enter Blighttown, and what I've heard about that area does not raise my confidence.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
adi_pie
First Video: Fun with condoms

Postby adi_pie » 15 Jun 2014, 14:39

Don't worry about it, the upper part of Blighttown hates the enemies as much as it does you.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 15 Jun 2014, 14:43

I've beaten it a few times. Leather armour and katana kind of guy. The co-op kinda sucks as I was expecting to play it with a friend the way I can solo but it turns out everything's fogged off and you're locked off from a lot of areas.

It's a good game but I can't see me rushing for Dark Souls 2.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 15 Jun 2014, 14:55

I was just about to start up a playthrough. I've been... influenced lately. So I'm going to clean my turtle tank, do my math homework, and start up Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. I feel like I should... read some literature on it before I start, though.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
adi_pie

Postby adi_pie » 15 Jun 2014, 15:01

darksouls.wikidot.com is your friend Lurkon. They have maps, walkthroughs and boss strategies if you ever get stuck.
Alcaste
First Video: The original run of friday nights

Postby Alcaste » 15 Jun 2014, 15:02

I'm a huge fan. The thing about Dark Souls though is that I can never seem to get myself to end-game. Is Dark Souls II worth it?
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 15 Jun 2014, 15:09

Lurkon wrote:I was just about to start up a playthrough. I've been... influenced lately. So I'm going to clean my turtle tank, do my math homework, and start up Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. I feel like I should... read some literature on it before I start, though.

Honestly don't even worry about it. Go play it, It's just a game, and it is NOT as hard as the fan boys like to say it is.

Oh it's definitely challenging, but like any challenge you can overcome it with a bit of perseverance and some skills that you should be able to acquire fairly quickly. Even though the game doesn't bother to explain most of them to you...

I actually mentioned in the chat on the last DS2 stream that I think the main problem most players have is panicking. Once you get over the natural "Oh shit!" response to some of the encounters, you can start focusing on actually fighting the enemies, and not yourself.

Re-watching Graham's playthrough was a real eye opener for me, since he did really well with some guidance from Alex, until he got to the Capra demon, where everyone is like "OMG Capra demon is the worst" and he panicked and ran repeatedly into it and died, despite the fact that he could have killed it fairly easily with his build.
adi_pie

Postby adi_pie » 15 Jun 2014, 15:22

What ch3m1kal said is definitely true, the game is challenging but it's also fair. It doesn't throw things in your path that you can't overcome with patience and perseverance.

I recommended the wiki because it gives you options and can be read at leisure, though I would also recommend playing the game on your own and only using the wiki in case you get stuck.

Dark Souls is at it's best when it can surprise you.

P.S. One golden rule of Dark Souls is that there is no "correct" way of doing things. If a way works for you, it works, that's all there is to it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Jun 2014, 16:12

ch3m1kal wrote:Re-watching Graham's playthrough was a real eye opener for me, since he did really well with some guidance from Alex, until he got to the Capra demon, where everyone is like "OMG Capra demon is the worst" and he panicked and ran repeatedly into it and died, despite the fact that he could have killed it fairly easily with his build.

I went into the Capra Demon's area by accident, so I just started flailing wildly with my Zweihander before it even registered where I was. By that point the guy was down to half health already, so I figured I might as well try to actually take the guy and started dodging around a bit and running up the stairs for some Estus. Ended up taking the Capra Demon down first try, while if I had actually being "prepared" for it, I probably would have run into the same problem as Graham.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 15 Jun 2014, 16:52

On my 6th playthrough(failure on all previous runs) I'm finally making progress, my save isn't being corrupted and I've optimised the shit out of my character. Killing bosses first try. Turns out the only hard thing remaining in the game is my poor sense of direction. How I did this?, mono club, incredibly light armour and getting strength to 40 first.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 15 Jun 2014, 17:47

Dark Souls is an extremely strong reccomendation of mine. Dark Souls 2 is... Okay. I'm almost 30 hours in and pretty disappointed with it. But in the same way that the worst Pixar movie is still pretty good...
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 15 Jun 2014, 17:48

If pixar was to kids as dark souls is to non-casuals?
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 15 Jun 2014, 17:55

Alex Steacy wrote:Dark Souls is an extremely strong reccomendation of mine. Dark Souls 2 is... Okay. I'm almost 30 hours in and pretty disappointed with it. But in the same way that the worst Pixar movie is still pretty good...

Cars 2.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 15 Jun 2014, 18:27

So... I started Bandit with Firebombs to get that sweet warhammer (I like hammers). I can't wield that hammer quite yet, because you start with 14 strength and need... 45. Would it be better for me to... start Deprived and level only Strength for awhile? I WANT to be using that warhammer.

ETA: CLEARLY I want to end up with Smough's Hammer eventually. I do not know what any of what I read about it means yet, but I want it.
Do a Pivot Table!

nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 15 Jun 2014, 18:35

Lurkon wrote:So... I started Bandit with Firebombs to get that sweet warhammer (I like hammers). I can't wield that hammer quite yet, because you start with 14 strength and need... 45. Would it be better for me to... start Deprived and level only Strength for awhile? I WANT to be using that warhammer.

ETA: CLEARLY I want to end up with Smough's Hammer eventually. I do not know what any of what I read about it means yet, but I want it.

Just use a club until you get your stats high enough for those big strength weapons. Its cheap as dirt from the games first trader and scales with an A from strength.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 15 Jun 2014, 18:40

I'm assuming you mean the Demon Great Hammer. You only need 31 STR to 2 hand that thing, which is kind of the way you're meant to use it, since 45 STR for a first playthrough isn't really feasible. You really need to buff your END too, otherwise you'll get a couple of swings in and that's about it.

Also note that you can get that hammer by trading that Sack that the butcher drops to Snuggly, and in fact by the time you get all that done you should also have the required strength as well as other nice things.
Sakana
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Sakana » 15 Jun 2014, 19:53

ch3m1kal wrote:since 45 STR for a first playthrough isn't really feasible.

I definitely got to 50 STR and DEX before hitting NG+, but I'm pretty sure I'm a scrub who farmed out way more than I should have and rushed strength to meet the requirements of weapons I never use.

Considering how annoyed Alex was by the awful texture tiling present in DS2, I'd be interested to know what he thinks about how the different areas of the game are connected to each other. For example where the hell is Iron Keep physically located.
You reach it by climbing to the top of a windmill situated on a largely flat expanse of land, at which point you take an elevator directly upwards to... the gigantic lava castle which is apparently invisible from the outside, balanced on top of the spire that is the elevator.

Compare to DS1, where all areas are connected fairly seamlessly without any 4-th dimensional overlapping (with the possible exception of Ash Lake, which seems to have its own underground sky.)
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 15 Jun 2014, 20:39

Yeah, as someone pointed out it's like different groups each designed a level and they just smushed them all into a loosely adjacent arrangement because they assumed players would just teleport around. It's just more of the lazy, uninspiring design that keeps making for a worse experience. The levels they DO have also feel way more like video game levels than areas in a rich and interesting world, iron keep being a good example.

Like, it doesn't have the functional layout of anything resembling an actual castle. It's just a lava/platform level with evenly spaced enemies who vaguely suit the area.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 15 Jun 2014, 21:00

Welp, I'm up to 31 strength, and I'm afraid that great hammers are slightly too slow for me. Maybe I can make it work at 45 strength, though... I think I'll try it out.
Do a Pivot Table!

Sakana
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Sakana » 15 Jun 2014, 21:08

Alex Steacy wrote:It's just a lava/platform level with evenly spaced enemies who vaguely suit the area.

But hey! At least the enemies vaguely suit the area! *Cough* grave wardens *cough*
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 15 Jun 2014, 23:44

I too like teh Dark Souls. Haven't had a chance to sit and play in a few days but I'm up to the ... bus, what was it's name ... the demon dude with the two dogs that Cam had trouble with? *herpaderp* I'm up to that. *nods*

I'm actually really digging it over all. Went with Wanderer in the end because YAAAAAY DEX BUILD.
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 16 Jun 2014, 03:38

I'm going with a Paladin build on my current playthrough, Sun-bro'd it up to get both lightning miracles and wielding the Zweihander, its going well so far.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!

Return to “Video Games”