TTC - Conspiracy Review Part 2

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - Conspiracy Review Part 2

Postby Graham » 19 Jun 2014, 00:45

Graham, James and Alex take a look at more Conspiracy! Specifically the mechanics of Dethrone, Parley, and Will of the Council.
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Re: TTC - Conspiracy Review Part 2

Postby DelphiSantano » 19 Jun 2014, 02:12

Unfortunately, that isn't Fblthp in the Conspiracy cards.
It's obviously the same species, but there was a DailyMTG article that specifically stated that it isn't him because he's locked to Ravnica due to his lack of planeswalking abilities.
I'd love to see him appear as the first Homunculus Planeswalker, but it looks unlikely :-(
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 19 Jun 2014, 02:58

Alex praising the sun at the end of the episode made me laugh really hard XD
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 19 Jun 2014, 08:08

Fblthp, Planestumbler U
Planeswalker - Fblthp
+1: Reveal your hand to target opponent.
-1: Look at the top card of target player's deck.
-5: Shuffle Fblthp into target player's library. You get an emblem with "All creatures except Homunculi lose haste, first strike, double strike, vigilance and lifelink."
1 Loyalty
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 19 Jun 2014, 08:58

Just so you know, Zombie Cutthroat was lauded mostly for the sake of limited. Because his Morph cost doesn't cost mana, you can play him in any deck even if you don't run swamps. So, he was pretty good as a "Oh, you block my 2/2? Surprise! He's a 3/4." To be fair, Morph in general was pretty good in limited for that, but Zombie Cutthroat and Gathan Raiders were standouts for the reason of not requiring mana to turn face-up. Especially the Raiders.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Rootbreaker
First Video: Checkpoint 1

Postby Rootbreaker » 19 Jun 2014, 10:01

Zombie cutthroat was great in the situation where both players play a morph on curve, and your opponent attacks into yours. Now you can block, they have priority first, so they have to flip up their morph first if they want to. Often the morphs that they can flip up for 3 or 4 will lose to a zombie cutthroat, so you get card advantage and a big tempo hit.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Jun 2014, 11:50

DelphiSantano wrote:Unfortunately, that isn't Fblthp in the Conspiracy cards.
It's obviously the same species, but there was a DailyMTG article that specifically stated that it isn't him because he's locked to Ravnica due to his lack of planeswalking abilities.
I'd love to see him appear as the first Homunculus Planeswalker, but it looks unlikely :-(
But there's plenty of cards in the set that aren't on Fiora. Decimate specifically mentions Gruul.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 19 Jun 2014, 11:56

Graham wrote:
But there's plenty of cards in the set that aren't on Fiora. Decimate specifically mentions Gruul.

And Unquestioned Authority mentioned the Ninth District, which was mentioned a lot in RTR. So, yeah, that's Fplthp. Doubtful about Provoke, though. You might just be a racist to think all Homunculi look alike.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
erjhunter
First Video: an MTGO Academy draft

Postby erjhunter » 19 Jun 2014, 15:54

The guy on Provoke isn't Fblthp as noted here:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1513

but, it is definitely Fblthp on Unquestioned Authority.

Anyway, made this. I think its pretty balanced for a 1 mana walker:

Edit: I fixed the order of the abilities and changed it to black border, the silver border was bugging me.
Last edited by erjhunter on 21 Jun 2014, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 19 Jun 2014, 18:43

erjhunter wrote:The guy on Provoke isn't Fblthp as noted here:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1513

but, it is definitely Fblthp on Unquestioned Authority.

Anyway, made this. I think its pretty balanced for a 1 mana walker:

A minor quibble (and nothing more than a quibble), is I think the 0 ability should be under the +1? I'm not sure.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
nubrain
First Video: Unskipable #1

Postby nubrain » 19 Jun 2014, 21:18

Fblthp, planeswalker cost U/C comes to to play with one loyalty token

+1: create a 0/1 blue homunculus creature token and place on the top of target opponents deck. these tokens count as cards in terms of card draw and hand size but can not be played from the hand or discarded.
0: search your library for any card that does not share any color of many you can currently produce. colorless cards can not be searched in this way.
0: until your next turn if any source would do damage to Fblthp, planeswalker no damage is done and the source of it is placed one top of its owners library.

"what purpose to they serve? I just make the darn things you lot can figure that part out" - Mad Traren, homunculi addict.
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Postby DelphiSantano » 20 Jun 2014, 00:02

MowDownJoe wrote:
Graham wrote:

And Unquestioned Authority mentioned the Ninth District, which was mentioned a lot in RTR. So, yeah, that's Fplthp. Doubtful about Provoke, though. You might just be a racist to think all Homunculi look alike.

Ah, fair enough. I hadn't seen the flavour text for Unquestioned Authority. It's just Provoke that doesn't have Fblthp in it then.
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 20 Jun 2014, 01:52

nubrain wrote:+1: create a 0/1 blue homunculus creature token and place on the top of target opponents deck. these tokens count as cards in terms of card draw and hand size but can not be played from the hand or discarded.

Unfortunately, tokens cannot exist outside of the battlefield. Perhaps it would work templated as

'+1: Exile the top card of target opponent's library, you may search that player's library for a card with the same name as a card exiled with Fblthp and place it on top of its owner's library. Cards with the same name as cards exiled with Fblthp cannot be cast or discarded except during their owner's cleanup step.'
kie_is_awsome
First Video: How To LRR

Postby kie_is_awsome » 20 Jun 2014, 08:46

Look i made a fblthp plainswalker, i just love the fact that he is always lost, not even death can save him
SephironNyl
First Video: A Video Conspiracy

Postby SephironNyl » 20 Jun 2014, 13:35

You guys are missing the point of "Treasonous Ogre". It's not about the mana, that's just a bonus. It's about ensuring that you never have the most life, and therefore always have targets for your dethrone.
erjhunter
First Video: an MTGO Academy draft

Postby erjhunter » 20 Jun 2014, 18:58

Lurkon wrote:A minor quibble (and nothing more than a quibble), is I think the 0 ability should be under the +1? I'm not sure.

Yes, you are correct. I made it pretty hastily without thinking too much about templates.

Edit: Fixed it.
Last edited by erjhunter on 21 Jun 2014, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 20 Jun 2014, 20:33

Here is my take on our beloved planeswalker. Having come to terms with his surprising spark, that had rescued him once before by getting him safely home, Fblthp now likes to venture outwards. He tends to find things and bring them back to you, because that's how he learned to use the spark.

So, he can delve into your deck, and help you find your lands. Or, he can go find the things you already have on the battlefield. And he can go into the graveyard to bring you a card. He keeps trying to make himself useful, and he's getting better at it.

What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
TheHokeyPokey
First Video: Unskippable pilot

Postby TheHokeyPokey » 20 Jun 2014, 22:10

Marchesa seems pretty sick with undying
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 21 Jun 2014, 08:34

After some thought, I realized that his 0 ability would really just be a sort of non-turn for him, since once activated, the opponent can simply refrain from attacking him. Maybe that is in flavor for what we're looking for in a humorous sense - an ability that literally does nothing - but I think a better way to handle it is to generate an emblem. Thus, Fblthp still has to spend one turn setting up his dumpster-diving, but once he does, he can become a dumpster-diving cantrip later. So, here is Version 2:

I also like that you are forced to draw a card, as this might become something for a mill opponent to exploit. One other thought I had was to make his minus ability be costed as -X where X is the permanent's casting cost, but I think I prefer a simple low number.
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 23 Jun 2014, 10:39

It was only when they got to Marchesa's Smuggler that I realized.

"Wait a second. Dethrone stacks with itself, doesn't it?"
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 24 Jun 2014, 07:16

multiple instances of dethrone on a creature trigger separately. If Marchesa's out and another creature with Dethrone, that other creature has two instances of the trigger.

So delicious.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 24 Jun 2014, 12:24

One additional point on Scourge of the Throne: you can attack the player with the most life, and get a Dethrone counter. Then, since it has evasion, you have a decent chance of dealing 6 or more damage to them. This might cause their life total to drop below that of another player, so on your second attack phase, you can get dethrone off of attacking the new highest-life-total player!
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Lynks
First Video: Brain transplants made easy

Postby Lynks » 01 Jul 2014, 22:44

There's some good Fblthps here, however I went down a more flavourful route.

I apologise for it's poor apprearance, the card builder I was using didn't seem to have a proper way to build planeswalkers or colourless cards.

Of note: you must resolve the last ability before play can continue.

Return to “TapTapConcede”