LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
craddz1967
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby craddz1967 » 21 Jun 2014, 16:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:Yeah. All personal data, including inventory, location, and ender chest items reverted. I have zero idea why. :|

I wondered why I had a stone sword and was back around El Fuzzy's Skull. Also explains why I thought I had some stuff in my Ender Chest.

Ah well Stuff happens :)
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 21 Jun 2014, 17:10

I think it would probably require a lot of effort to get equal and sensible teams for each mod. Considering how many users there are, it would take an enormous amount of organisation to get each user online at the same time as their assigned mod alone. If you want to make the teams based on the time people are online, you'd also have to find out when everyone is usually online. Locations are probably easier since you already know them thanks to the claiming system, but also fairly trivial since mods can teleport anyway.

I think the only way to divide the teams that isn't going to be a crazy amount of work is to simply have as many mods as possible online over the next few days to authorise people as they log in.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 21 Jun 2014, 18:11

Not that it's a big concern, but what will you do about people who rarely log in (myself included) under this method? Is that going to throw off your count, or will we be shunted between teams?
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jun 2014, 19:28

craddz1967 wrote:I wondered why I had a stone sword and was back around El Fuzzy's Skull. Also explains why I thought I had some stuff in my Ender Chest.
Missing items can easily be replaced. Just let me or a Mod know what you had.
MagisterMystax wrote:I think it would probably require a lot of effort to get equal and sensible teams for each mod. Considering how many users there are, it would take an enormous amount of organisation to get each user online at the same time as their assigned mod alone. If you want to make the teams based on the time people are online, you'd also have to find out when everyone is usually online. Locations are probably easier since you already know them thanks to the claiming system, but also fairly trivial since mods can teleport anyway.

I think the only way to divide the teams that isn't going to be a crazy amount of work is to simply have as many mods as possible online over the next few days to authorise people as they log in.
Good concerns, and I was trying to get a bunch of Mods to take shifts so someone could be always online, but that didn't work out. I know where a couple of Mods are located IRL, but yeah... In-game location would probably be better.
eostby wrote:Not that it's a big concern, but what will you do about people who rarely log in (myself included) under this method? Is that going to throw off your count, or will we be shunted between teams?
If we go by location, as that's the way I'm leaning, then there shouldn't be an issue.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 21 Jun 2014, 22:20

I'm in favor of sorting "teams" by in-game regions, but it might be worth noting the players (and mods) who, by merit of real-world location, work hours, or just unusual sleep schedule, tend to be online at hours that most mods aren't.

(Woo, Zeta shift!)
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 22 Jun 2014, 01:30

The groups thing is a nice idea as well. Either just randomly, or by region / timezone or whatever. More just, go to this mod first, or this set of mods first. Which is what the mods are supposed to be anyways though, to keep the little issues from taking up your time.

I added a few of the hours I'm normally online to the chart, though not sure it is is being used. Is the IRC still up? My brain isn't working all correctly right now.

edit: I think I got into the irc. I'll play with it tomorrow. I think my programs hate it or something.
Last edited by DewKnight on 22 Jun 2014, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 22 Jun 2014, 01:32

I think putting people in teams under a certain mod is going to be very problematic, to say the least. For one thing, not everyones schedule is regular, making it very hard to make teams based on playing time or IRL location.

Edit: I've just put in some shifts. It's not much, but all I could manage on a regular basis. My weekends are always in flux. I'm normally only at home when I have an on-call shift (meaning I might have to leave within 30 minutes). Rest of the week I have to work.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 22 Jun 2014, 01:44

I think if we can get some overlapping of shifts, so there's usually two people scheduled for most times, that would cover things wonderfully. Then you have a better chance that one person will be on if they do have a changing schedule (like mine). There are some days I can commit to without any though, but there are others where I may not be able to make it for the time I had hoped.

So yeah, overlapping coverage would be really cool.

If anybody needs help getting set up with IRC, I am glad to help. I'm just getting back into it myself, but I'll offer any assistance that I can.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jun 2014, 08:41

I'm all for overlapping schedules, but I thought we'd consider that after we got the gaps in the schedule filled first.

More hands make less work, and I'm trying to add more hands at the moment.

DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 22 Jun 2014, 09:13

Yeah I may be overestimating the time available like crazy. I think you've got things going on the right track though.
Last edited by DewKnight on 22 Jun 2014, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 22 Jun 2014, 18:18

I signed up for 6pm-9pm Central Time (I think) on all days, so I'll be keeping an eye on IRC at those times, but that's moreso a guideline on when work doesn't interfere with my minecraft time. Still, as long as I can get to my PC, I should be able to help.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 22 Jun 2014, 22:11

I would suggest that everybody be on the IRC server when they're near their computer and able to at least hop in for quick things, even if it's not a time you put down. The more people available in there, the better (in my opinion).
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jun 2014, 07:26

Still no commentary on which route to go with the file? Deletion or repair?

Sibanamush
First Video: No Idea.

Postby Sibanamush » 23 Jun 2014, 08:11

Personally , I would say go for whichever option is easiest for you Memo.

People cant access their stored money anyway if the server is down.

Though that being said I don't have any money of consequence stored, and therefore have less investment in that data being preserved.

Also I could see it taking more time long term to reauthorize people, although this would also have the benefit of removing people from teams that don't log in anymore and freeing up space on the teams.

So I guess my vote would be to delete the offending file, and be willing to give people who had large amounts of Dongs stored back some with commands. If you think that's going to be the easiest way to get the server up and running again.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jun 2014, 08:21

I took a third option, which I should have earlier, but didn't think of because I'm an idiot: I back up the server anyway, so use the backup file.

So, the server works again, with a roll-back to 3 days ago for the scoreboard only (authorizations, money, and jail status). However, it's not up and running, because I suspect a new player coming in will kill the server again, so I suspect I just need to make a list of all current players and white-list the server to them until we can get people onto teams.

So, give me about 8 hours from now to start that process, after I'm done with real-world work. I'll either start white-listing people or start making teams.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 23 Jun 2014, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 23 Jun 2014, 08:24

I'm fine either way, I only had 12K dongs. I know Kool, Admiralmatt, and a few others had quite a bit though, so they'd probably have more relevant input.

EDIT: Also, yeah, since we can give money with commands, any major amounts of money lost could be given back.

EDIT2: And that works even better, Memo :P
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 23 Jun 2014, 08:54

Nice on the backup.

I would say separating people might be the best, since we're likely to continue having a stream of new players. Sucks that it takes so much time though.

I don't remember the switch to the scoreboard, but it was done cause the xp system was harder to manage, right?

This is where I'd love to say there are plugins for that exact thing, but course most of those server mods and plugins are up in the air right now with what is going happen to them. I really hope some sort of api for plugins is made in the next major release. It would really help things, even if it is basic. It's ridiculous that right now the people have to deobfuscate the server code, put their api and improvements on, and then recompile it all. Mojang should have hired them all in the first place and actually used them for a proper server. It's been like years now since they hired the guy I can't remember that I think was a big part of bukkit. man, we had wrappers that did better than the regular server all the way back to hey0.

Okay I'll stop being a crazy old guy now.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jun 2014, 09:10

DewKnight wrote:I don't remember the switch to the scoreboard, but it was done cause the xp system was harder to manage, right?
No, it was done because an update broke weighted pressure plates, so the sell-back system no longer worked. The idea for a new selling system that was easier to standardize and allowed more fine-tuning was why we went to a scoreboard, and also made developing a new sell-back system easier and more compact. (The old system took up the entirety of what is now the basement of the Market.)

Also, while the server's down, I thought I'd run a render for the minor updates. Looks like it'll only take an hour.

Admiralmatt
First Video: The Job

Postby Admiralmatt » 23 Jun 2014, 10:43

i like the idea of different teams. it would also give us the ability to have server events/competitions. like green team vs. orange team in a spleef competition, or pvp battle
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 23 Jun 2014, 12:16

Admiralmatt wrote:i like the idea of different teams. it would also give us the ability to have server events/competitions. like green team vs. orange team in a spleef competition, or pvp battle

I kind of like that idea as well. Good thing we have an arena already that can accommodate events like that!
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 23 Jun 2014, 17:26

A thought. Would it be a simple matter to export the player/points list to a text document? That way, you could just reset the list, clearing it of all the gone players, but have a way to reference dong totals for those people who care about then.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jun 2014, 17:28

1. It's already fixed.
2. If that is possible, I have no idea where. It's probably somewhere in the incomprehensible file.

DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 24 Jun 2014, 08:57

I think I'm going to have to revise the hours I put down. My schedule is so screwed up right now. I'm trying to grab hours that others may not be on though, since I'll usually be able to do that. I'll probably just take my name off it until it gets a little more filled out, then grab any remaining hours I can.

Two questions about the irc. Is there a nickserv? Also, could we possibly get a second channel (mod only?) That just echoes the server log (doesn't have to be exactly real time). Would be nice to be able to look at that real quick when a !mods text is received if we're not already in the server.

There are probably other events the irc bot could notify on as well. Like new players, jailing, etc. Or even upon a keyword notification it could paste the last x lines of the server log. Might move that to a second channel though, if the regular one gets used much by regular players.

There's always the option of using an existing network for our channels as well.

Just dumping my brain out.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 24 Jun 2014, 09:22

Jailing is already announced in the IRC. So thats already in place. (And I THINK new players is also already implemented)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 24 Jun 2014, 09:35

Excellent

Return to “Video Games”