Dark Souls General

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Sakana
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Re: Dark Souls General

Postby Sakana » 19 Jun 2014, 12:59

Alex Steacy wrote:I refer you to exhibits A and B.

Exhibit C:

I think the most annoying thing about the invisible sky volcano is that they could easily have fixed it by just having the elevator go down instead of up.
Flying Sky Volcano bad.
Underground Lava Cavern good!
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 19 Jun 2014, 14:01

My intent was to highlight how the Jacquays style of dungeon design is definitely the way to go, and the other way is so not because it leads to boring, gamey yawn-fests.

But yeah, I suppose I didn't take into account the haphazard arrangement of locations. Amendment to previous assertion: Dark Souls 1 is still Caverns of Thracia (i.e. awesomely interconnected and stuff) but Dark Souls 2 is like a bunch of "Keep on the Shadowfell"s all thrown into a blender and set to "meh".

And with a fucking flying lava castle.
HeyZootie
First Video: Commodore Hustle

Postby HeyZootie » 19 Jun 2014, 19:56

Whoops dropping something OT in the middle of this erudite discussion, but it more belongs here than in the LRRLive threads. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Got a DS PC controls question. I have DSFix and DSMFix running and use DSFix GUI 2.2 to start the game. After repeated efforts + guides, I have now *almost* got it to be playable with mouse and keyboard.

Almost. There is exactly one thing spoiling the gameplay now. When I'm running the character, the mouselook controls the direction and the camera appears to follow the character's POV. This is exactly how a native PC game works, and it is great when it's like that.

But when I STOP running, suddenly the mouselook only controls the camera, and the keys appear to control direction completely. So I die because I'm spinning the camera to face the opponent and my guy just stands there because I'm not using the keys to point him to places. (Which is really hard anyways - 90 degree turns or nothin :( )

Does anyone know any tweaks / hax to keep the mouselook controlling the character's direction when it's standing still? I would love to turn to face the enemies with the mouse, THEN use the movement keys.

Thanks again for any help!

Zoot
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 19 Jun 2014, 20:19

Uhh that is exactly how the controls work when using a controller and I don't think there's any real way to change it.
Obviously with a controller it's not a huge issue since you have analog movement controls, but I have no idea how you could make it work with M/KB.
rerout
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby rerout » 20 Jun 2014, 18:07

Can anyone test this texture mod for me? I made it to contribute to the LRRsouls stuff if anyone wants to use it. Unfortunately, Dark Souls has encountered the "executable has stopped working" error again right after I made it and nothing I do will fix it. So I haven't been able to test it myself.

It's for the Silver Knight Shield so you'll need to be up to Anor Londo at least. If anyone does test this please take some screenshots for me so I can see if I need to fix anything or not.

V2:http://www.mediafire.com/view/h33lwjtq39ezj85/c27775db.png
V3:http://www.mediafire.com/view/24t56l9471c7cc2/c27775db.png

I know it's not that great but it's my first texture mod for Dark Souls and I really want to see how it turned out.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jun 2014, 12:35

ch3m1kal wrote:Anyway my point was that you had the build to do it, and all the skills, but you just fumbled on that particular fight because everyone is always like "OMG Capra demon is the worst" so instead of keeping calm and dealing with the situation, you kind of panicked.
I disagree with this premise, 100%.

Everyone said everything was the worst. Before every new fight or area, someone in the chat said it was the worst for them. I was no more panicked for this than anywhere else, I was following the chat's "tried and true" method for the boss (running up the stairs). When I couldn't do that, after 4 attempts, I got bored of it and wanted to try something else because I didn't want to bore the viewers.

I guess the concept of "you could have easily beat it" bothers the crap out of me, when it was my first time playing the game. Maybe a knowledgeable player could, maybe even I could now, but then, no, it's not as simple as "I had a build that could beat it".
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 21 Jun 2014, 12:52

Is it really just me who has had zero trouble with the Capra demon? I've found myself leaving my summon sign there for easy cash.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Jun 2014, 13:10

ChroniclerC wrote:Is it really just me who has had zero trouble with the Capra demon? I've found myself leaving my summon sign there for easy cash.

I was able to beat him on my first try, through a combination of having heavy enough armour and shield to block/take a couple hits, and luck of getting away and figuring out how to avoid him quickly. But I could have seen myself just as easily going the other way and banging my head against it for hours if just a few slight factors were different. I can certainly understand why he's such an annoyance for so many players.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 21 Jun 2014, 13:16

Graham wrote:Everyone said everything was the worst. Before every new fight or area, someone in the chat said it was the worst for them. I was no more panicked for this than anywhere else, I was following the chat's "tried and true" method for the boss (running up the stairs). When I couldn't do that, after 4 attempts, I got bored of it and wanted to try something else because I didn't want to bore the viewers.

I guess the concept of "you could have easily beat it" bothers the crap out of me, when it was my first time playing the game. Maybe a knowledgeable player could, maybe even I could now, but then, no, it's not as simple as "I had a build that could beat it".

I only said "easily beat it" because I went back to watch the first couple episodes of Stark Souls and I was surprised by how incredibly well you did with, especially for a new player.

What I was trying to get across is that sometimes even if one is otherwise prepared to handle the situation, it's still entirely possible to fail, especially if you get in the wrong mindset. For example I'm playing through DS again right now, and I've just had to take a break from the game because I can't get past those 2 greatbow archers in Anor Londo.
I know exactly how to deal with them, I have the right build, but for whatever reason I just can't get it together.

I only used your fight with the Capra demon as an example because it provides nice common ground, since most people reading this have also probably watched the video and because that is a fight many players seem to have trouble with, at least from what I've seen on the Internet.
For that matter, Cam had a lot of trouble there too, but his build is not something I, or most new players for that matter would be inclined to play, so I can't really offer any insight on it, beyond the fact that it makes everything MUCH harder.

I'm sorry If it came across as "just get good and stop scrubbing". That was absolutely not the idea behind my previous posts.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jun 2014, 15:00

Jamfalcon wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:Is it really just me who has had zero trouble with the Capra demon? I've found myself leaving my summon sign there for easy cash.

I was able to beat him on my first try, through a combination of having heavy enough armour and shield to block/take a couple hits, and luck of getting away and figuring out how to avoid him quickly. But I could have seen myself just as easily going the other way and banging my head against it for hours if just a few slight factors were different. I can certainly understand why he's such an annoyance for so many players.

(Upgraded) Zweihander > Capra Demon, and pretty much everyone else. I look forward to the next time I face the Capra Demon, to see if he'll present a challenge in the future.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 23 Jun 2014, 02:25

Its all about practice, personally I find the gaping Dragon to be the best boss to leave your summon for easy souls.

On that note I just finished my second playthrough and am on to my first NG+, +15 Zweihander still crushing my enemies.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 23 Jun 2014, 06:19

My PS3 save was NG++ with a +15 Uchigatana and +14 of that black leather armour. The minute I found that sword I swore to use nothing else!

I got it on PC recently too because I enjoyed the game so much and don't always feel like setting up my PS3. Played a little and beat the Capra Demon last time. Just ran that game into the ground and can't see myself playing it to the extent others do.

The toughest boss I ever faced was Artorias. Took me DAYS to beat him! Nothing else gave me problems to the extent he did!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 23 Jun 2014, 06:57

My boogie man (or men rather) is the Ornstein and Smough fight, soloing that thing is an absolute arse I found, especially using a heavy weapon, you just don't recover in time from an attack to get away from a butt slam. After beating it on my first playthrough (Spear and Shield) I ended up just dirting Super Smough out with the crossbow in my second.

A highly upgraded Zweihander makes a lot of the bosses in NG a lot easier as you just chunk off so much of their health with each swing that it's much easier to straight damage race them, especially the ones that can be staggered. As I use Miracles as well a Sunlight Blade and Replenishment applied before battle starts can lead to a ridiculous DPS burst at the start of the battle with low risk. Even in NG+ I just destroyed the Bell Gargoyles.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 23 Jun 2014, 10:43

Just a quick update to let everyone know that Dark Souls: Prepare to die Edition is currently on sale on Steam for 75% off.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 23 Jun 2014, 11:27

ArchieO wrote:My boogie man (or men rather) is the Ornstein and Smough fight, soloing that thing is an absolute arse I found, especially using a heavy weapon, you just don't recover in time from an attack to get away from a butt slam. After beating it on my first playthrough (Spear and Shield) I ended up just dirting Super Smough out with the crossbow in my second.

Now, that fight will be my nightmare for a while, but not because of the actual boss fight, but that by repeated bullshit I could not actually reach the blasted fog door. I mean, I had completely cleared out Anor Londo, I have killed every mob between the major bonfire and that door. I go back, I pop humanity, I'm gonna summon SunBro for my tenth Sunlight Medal. What follow were the ten-or-so most bullshit deaths I have ever had in the game. EVER.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 24 Jun 2014, 00:50

I will admit to camping at the Gaping Dragon to get my ten medals for an early Great lightning Spear. NG+ Diaries: Capra Demon down, turns out that with high level armor and a good stability shield he is a lot easier as you can tank a hit or two to get past the Dogs and up the stairs. Also Sunlight Blade + Plunging attack = ludicrous amounts of damage.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 24 Jun 2014, 13:19

ArchieO wrote:I will admit to camping at the Gaping Dragon to get my ten medals for an early Great lightning Spear. NG+ Diaries: Capra Demon down, turns out that with high level armor and a good stability shield he is a lot easier as you can tank a hit or two to get past the Dogs and up the stairs. Also Sunlight Blade + Plunging attack = ludicrous amounts of damage.

How do you get Sunlight Blade, anyway? I know the other "sword buff" miracle is a covenant thing...

Also, please advise. I wanna stick with sword & board (splashing miracles). Am I better off pumping levels into Strength or Dexterity? Stat scaling on weapons seems to favor Dex builds; is that observation correct?
HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 24 Jun 2014, 15:09

ch3m1kal wrote:Uhh that is exactly how the controls work when using a controller and I don't think there's any real way to change it.
Obviously with a controller it's not a huge issue since you have analog movement controls, but I have no idea how you could make it work with M/KB.

....wut? On consoles the camera POV does not move with the player's POV, you have to manually drive it with the stick?

...I looked at the GPLP of Cursed Crusade (again) and it kind of looks like the camera does autofollow when running, but stops doing that when you stop.

OMG. That is SO TERRIBLE. Why is that a thing? I understand (and like) having the option to move your camera if you want, but being forced to do so every time you stop? So every time you are trying to fight?

I can't imagine running around in Fallout, Skyrim or any FPS game I've played since 1990, without the camera auto-pointing to wherever I point my character. Wow.

That being said, if you all have been playing console games like that all this time, color me impressed. I can't imagine running the camera at the same time as I'm trying to fight stuff.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 24 Jun 2014, 15:41

Well the game is designed so that you lock on to targets, which does make the camera track. Though it tracks the target, not your character. But yes, when stationary you have to operate the camera manually, it does not track the direction you character is facing.

It's pretty standard for 3rd person console games.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 25 Jun 2014, 00:54

ChroniclerC wrote:
ArchieO wrote:I will admit to camping at the Gaping Dragon to get my ten medals for an early Great lightning Spear. NG+ Diaries: Capra Demon down, turns out that with high level armor and a good stability shield he is a lot easier as you can tank a hit or two to get past the Dogs and up the stairs. Also Sunlight Blade + Plunging attack = ludicrous amounts of damage.

How do you get Sunlight Blade, anyway? I know the other "sword buff" miracle is a covenant thing...

Also, please advise. I wanna stick with sword & board (splashing miracles). Am I better off pumping levels into Strength or Dexterity? Stat scaling on weapons seems to favor Dex builds; is that observation correct?

To get sunlight blade you need to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin in Anor-Londo, to get to him you need to get the Darkmoon Seance Ring from the Catacombs (I believe its just past the Titanite Demon). You should then return to Anor Londo and go to the rotating platform. Put the platform on the lowest level and go down to the Bonfire there. Now you have the ring an invisible wall should disappear allowing you to reach the fog door and either join the Darkmoon covenant or battle Gwyndolin himself.

As for Strength or Dex you should choose the style of weapon you want to use and pump your points there. For eg if you favor Greatswords and the like put your points into strength or if stuff like the katana's appeal to you more then put more points into dex. One argument for a dex build is that when the stat gets high enough, I believe around thirty points it reduces the cast time for your miracles. As many people have said, its more about finding a weapon moveset you are comfortable with and upgrading yourself based around that than a set build.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 25 Jun 2014, 02:43

Uh, hrm. Lemmie rephrase, then.

I went from Broad Sword to Drake Sword to Astora's Straight Sword. I like the fast swings, but I could use a bit more reach. Maybe something that keeps decent scaling if I upgrade it to Divine. Maybe a vanilla Balder Side Sword or Silver Knight Sword paired with a Divine Longsword?

By the same thought, is weapon swing speed dictated by some stat, or is it static?
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 25 Jun 2014, 03:51

Attack speed is purely weapon based in DS1 and does not scale with any stats.

That said, why not try a spear? The Silver Knight spear has the holy attribute that lets it kill skeletons, pretty decent base damage (244 at +5)and you get to keep some swing attacks. Also E/C scaling, compared to E/D for Balder Side Sword and all other spears.

Personally I would go for a Winged Spear. A Divine Winged Spear +10 does 145/177 damage, and it even scales gets C level scale with faith.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 25 Jun 2014, 08:17

Honestly I can't give you a good recommendation on short swords as I never used them in either of my playthroughs so far. If you want to move to spears I would definitely recommend the Silver Knight Spear, it got me through the whole of my first playthrough and has the inbuilt divine bonus so you don't need to switch it out for the skellingtons.
HeyZootie

Postby HeyZootie » 29 Jun 2014, 06:52

ch3m1kal wrote:Well the game is designed so that you lock on to targets, which does make the camera track. Though it tracks the target, not your character. But yes, when stationary you have to operate the camera manually, it does not track the direction you character is facing.

It's pretty standard for 3rd person console games.

ow. Then I will never be able to play console-style garmz. I am absolutely , instinctively used to the character's direction of view (camera) turning with him as I move, and it's integral to my vidya game combat reflexes. I had such great fights in Skyrim, etc., I was really looking forward to even better ones in DS /sadface.

Thanks for helping me figure that out. I guess a controller isn't going to help with that issue, so time to move on.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 30 Jun 2014, 17:30

Hay guise.

I picked up DS via steam summer sale and have been having a lot of fun with it. Currently I've been building around my Zweihander and have it +5 with the Elite armor set, except the helm is the burlap sack. So my question is, how should I upgrade Sack Knight's Zweihander? I've tried fighting the Gaping Dragon once and it's been the first boss that I didn't do 1/4 of its health or more per swing. Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Return to “Video Games”