Fblthp, planeswalker

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Earthenone
First Video: idk, firday nights was the first series

Fblthp, planeswalker

Postby Earthenone » 19 Jun 2014, 13:17

not actually said as a build a card in the most recent TTC, but it seemed like fun. i hope other people will feel the same and post them here. Image
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Re: Fblthp, planeswalker

Postby jkefka » 20 Jun 2014, 05:01

Okay, I love "Search for a card, reveal it, then shuffle your library." That's brilliant tire-spinning right there.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 20 Jun 2014, 05:35

The +1 obviously combos with Panglacial Wurm
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 20 Jun 2014, 06:08

I just thought of his zero: "You may cast a card revealed by Fblthp, Planeswalker."
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 20 Jun 2014, 06:41

Another idea for his zero: "You may cast a card from your hand"
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 20 Jun 2014, 08:34

I have 2 concepts for Fblthp,

1) He is a very minor planeswalker that does do stuff that mostly stays out of the way and could be somewhat useful in certain circumstances.

+1 Reveal the top card of your library
-1 Return target creature you control to the top of owners library
-3 shuffle target creature and Fblthp into their owner's libraries
(i love that his ultimate is running away, but he takes another creature with him)

2) Alternatively, Fblthp, is actively annoying to the player, distracting you and making you "forget" spells (put them back on the top of your library). At any time, the player can dismiss Fblthp, if you are are sick of dealing with him, BUT if you stick it out for a really, really long time, you get an unstoppable killing machine. Kind of like Dark Depths, but way worse :)

+1 return a card from your hand to the top of owner's library
0 shuffle Fblthp into owners library
-20 exile Fblthp, put a 20/20 legendary homunculus token with flying, trample, death touch, indestructible and protection from all colors, named Fblthp, Ascended on to the battlefield
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 20 Jun 2014, 08:51

The only problem is that you can't trigger Fblthp with thespian's stage!
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Earthenone
First Video: idk, firday nights was the first series

Postby Earthenone » 20 Jun 2014, 12:59

i love the idea of "you may cast a card from your hand" as a 0. also for the activly annoying one Paul suggested i think there should be a pay 1 life added to his 0, because the player should feel bad telling Fblthp to go away like that, he was trying to help.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 Jun 2014, 13:40

I kind of like the idea of either version of Fblthp having 'put target nonland permanent on top of it's owner's library.' Like, for the 'bad' one, having that as a -1, but only on permanants you control. For the 'annoying' one, Having it as a - ability instead of the 0 would work I feel (though again, you could put the 'permanants you control' clause in there). This would let you get rid of him... only for him to show up again right away. Which seems more in flavor for what he is.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jun 2014, 14:38

Not in the flavor of Fblthp, but an amusing useless planeswalker ability would be "0: Add a +1/+1 counter to target creature, then add a -1/-1 counter to that creature."
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 20 Jun 2014, 18:14

"-0: Remove all loyalty counters from Fblthp and shuffle everything other than Fblthp into their owner's libraries. Each player's life total becomes the lowest life total among players. Exile Fblthp face down."

Not only is it extremely powerful and can be activated immediately, but it also makes Fblthp impossible to bring back with anything other than Karn's ultimate.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jun 2014, 22:03

I thought that would combo with Lich's Tomb, but realized that it would be in the deck by the time the ability resolved. If you had negative life and activated that, you'd cause everyone to lose simultaneously, forcing a draw.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duskstone89
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Duskstone89 » 21 Jun 2014, 04:37

What about this guy:

Fblthp, Ultimately Lost (½)
+½:Put an artifact with converted mana cost ½ or less onto the battlefield tapped.
0: Shuffle Fblthp into target player's library.
-2½: Fblthp becomes a 4/2 hommunculus creature that can ony be blocked by walls until end of turn.

½ loyalty
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 21 Jun 2014, 21:00

A while back, I thought about what Fblthp would look like as a planeswalker. I read as much as I could about him (did you know there's actually a story about him?), and based on what I learned, this is what I came up with:

Fblthp, Reluctant Planeswalker (1)
Planeswalker - Fblthp

0: Exile Fblthp. Return him to the battlefield under
his owner's control at the beginning of that player's
next upkeep.

-1: Exile target card from a graveyard.

-2: Untap all creatures you control.

Starting Loyalty: 3

The reasons:
0: When something scary happens, Fblthp hides. Where better to hide than in exile?
-1: It's his job to clean up garbage! It's a simple life.
-2: If someone's going to cause trouble, Fblthp alerts the guards.

Honestly, he's probably way too powerful for one mana with those abilities, and I Was hoping the fact that he had no plus abilities would help balance.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 22 Jun 2014, 01:44

Interesting design. I think i'd cost him at GU for those abilities.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 22 Jun 2014, 05:30

Also, the 0 ability would return him with all 3 loyalty, so you could untap, then exile, and return and do it all again.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 22 Jun 2014, 07:25

Myrph wrote:Also, the 0 ability would return him with all 3 loyalty, so you could untap, then exile, and return and do it all again.

That was the intent, and that's why the 0 ability doesn't return him to play until the following turn. He still only returns with three counters in 90% of circumstances. The thought was to never have him out of bolt range, or if he activates one of his abilities, at least vulnerable to bears.

Myrph wrote:Also, the 0 ability would return him with all 3 loyalty, so you could untap, then exile, and return and do it all again.

GU? I was aiming for more of a WU feel, since he's actually responsible for taking care of one of the Azorius' gardens, and I think I see where you're coming from.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 22 Jun 2014, 18:30

Hmmm, alright, here's my attempt.

Fblthp, the Lost - UR
------------------------------

0 - Until the beginning of your next turn, Fblthp gains "Whenever a player casts a spell, exile Fblthp. Return Fblthp to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step."
---------------------------------------------
0 - Reveal your hand and discard all cards named Fblthp, the Lost. Put Fblthp, the Lost on the bottom of your library.
---------------------------------------------
-1 - Reveal the bottom card of your library. If a card named Fblthp, the Lost is revealed this way, draw 2 cards and deal 3 damage to target creatue or player.

Loyalty: 2
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 22 Jun 2014, 18:46

I feel like one of his abilities should be "Put a 0/0 green Plant creature token onto the battlefield."

Because he's a gardener, but good token production would be too useful.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 24 Jun 2014, 19:16

I posted in the TTC thread, but now that I see there's a dedicated thread here, I'll cross-post here too.

My take on him is that he first learned to use his planeswalking spark to find a way to return home, after a traumatic experience. Now, he likes to go wander out a bit and find things - but he never wanders very far, and only finds things that belong to you. When he comes back from his little excursions, he can bring you lands from your library, permanents from the battlefield, and even a card when he takes an ill-advised trip to the graveyard.

What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Jun 2014, 01:21

that emblem is broken. You draw one card for every time it's been activated when Fblthp dies. He essentially cycles, ramps, and reanimates for U. If he's been out a few turns, you can draw X where X is the number of turns he's been out, minus 2 (one turn for +1 and one for -2). The emblems stack, too, so when you play another Fblthp and planeswalker-rule the old one, it's just U: Draw X cards.

it might be better worded as "0: until your next turn, when Fblthp is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card."
WP&P

Postby WP&P » 25 Jun 2014, 15:37

madAlric - thanks for your feedback. I actually did have a different version that used the suggested wording (pretty much) but then came up with this as a preferred alternative. If you venture over to the TapTapConcede thread, you'll see both.

I see what you mean about emblems stacking, but the alternate wording is ineffective because the opponent can just ignore the planeswalker. I wanted an emblem so that you can set up the cantrip for later. Maybe the solution is to create a legendary token artifact instead of an emblem? Or just call it a legendary emblem?

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 25 Jun 2014, 22:49

I think the problem with making the emblem legendary is that emblems don't have names. They don't even have types. Literally the only thing on the emblem as far as the rules are concerned is the text put there by the ability that created it.

If your goal is to limit it to one card drawn from him, may I suggest "Whenever a card named Fblthp the Explorer is put into your graveyard from anywhere, if that card is in your graveyard, you may put that card on the bottom of your library. If you do, you may draw a card." Unless I'm mistaken, the 'if' makes it so that if you can't perform the action (say, because you've performed it already for a different emblem), you can't draw the card.
WP&P

Postby WP&P » 26 Jun 2014, 17:15

So here's Version 3; I'm going with the token artifact similar to how "Gild" and "King Macar" work by creating Gold tokens. Some form of IF clause could work on an emblem too, but I think it would have to be worded clunky. The artifact is vulnerable to disenchant, but is any opponent really going to waste removal on such a permanent?

Maybe the problem then becomes the fact that this is a repeatable artifact generator, if sacrificing artifacts is something your deck wants to do. Is there any way in which that is broken?

WP&P

Postby WP&P » 26 Jun 2014, 17:24

Even as I think about it, though, I'm not sure that I agree that the stacking emblems of V2 would be all that broken. Yes, it can build up into something that nets a lot of cards for little investment, but you have to spend a lot of time protecting your one mana planeswalker in order to make that happen. Five turns without letting a burn spell through, just so you can draw three cards? I think every turn that you use his zero ability is like a raising of stakes for your opponent - they better kill him now, or things are just gonna keep getting worse for them. How does that compare to other planeswalker plus or zero abilities - doesn't Elspeth making token dudes exert a similar stake-raising pressure, or the new Ajani distributing +1/+1 counters? I think getting one more card is certainly reasonable by comparison.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”