The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

Postby WickedBoy6 » 24 Jun 2014, 23:55

I'm surprised no one's been talking about this yet, even in the mega-thread. So, here's where M15 will be discussed.

What do you think of the Souls cards? Underpowered? Interesting concepts?

Return of Slivers: Yay or nay?

Convoke is back. Glad, or wish another mechanic got returned?

Where do you get your spoilers? MythicSpoiler, MagicSpoiler, or do you get yours straight from the source on Wizards?

Ask and/or answer all of these questions and more. I'll open up the floor for discussion, but I do wanna say: With Sliver Hive and Obelish of Urd, I am SO glad I got my Sliver EDH up and running. I can't wait to see what else M15 has for me.
Credit to Foxmar
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

Postby Volafortis » 25 Jun 2014, 00:00

UNTAPPING. FOUR. FORESTS.

Sorry, I appear to be stuck on that.

Super excited to see the new Jace, though.

Also, like new Slivers, happy they brought back the old art style. Like the land.

Convoke is fun.

I get my spoilers from the Wizards site.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 25 Jun 2014, 00:15

I get my spoils from Mythic Spoiler, I'm far too excited to wait for Wizards to post social media spoilers the day after they were being spread around the public.

Convoke is exciting, especially when using it with something like Obelisk of Urd.

Maybe Karn will come back as the 6th planeswalker (or 7th if Garruk is still doing something) to continue the pairings of planeswalkers with planesouls.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 00:49

Volafortis wrote:UNTAPPING. FOUR. FORESTS.

Inorite? Especially if those forest are enchanted with awesome, like Leafdrake Roost, Squirrel Nest, and Verdant Forest.

I'm also well-excited for Soul of New Phyrexia for my Bosh Commander deck. I think the Souls might not see a lot of Constructed - definitely minimal draft play - but in Commander, they're going to be amazing.
Credit to Foxmar
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 25 Jun 2014, 06:07

Garruk is gonna be in since he's the poster child.

I'm curious at what he's gonna be up to though.

I like Notch's card, I'm thinking it goes into red rush decks as a way late game draw engine?
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 06:33

I might try some Red, mainly because the two Goblins they showed look amazing. As long as there's good Gobby support later in the set or in KHAAAAAAN.

They haven't spoiled Jace yet, but it's interesting that Liliana and Chandra get reprints, but Ajani is all-new - and possibly wearing Elspeth's cloak? - and a new Nissa. According to MythicSpoiler, it'll be a new Jace, but we don't know the abilities yet. I wonder if this is deliberate, because they hay have done it again in making an OP Jace without realizing it?

Also, there's some new uncommons that get +1/+1 for having ally-lands. What does everyone think of these? And do you think we'll only get WUBRG-order pairings, or do you think they'll reveal reverse ones, as well, like a white creature that gets +1/+1 with a forest?
Credit to Foxmar
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 25 Jun 2014, 06:38

ElFuzzy wrote:Garruk is gonna be in since he's the poster child.

I'm curious at what he's gonna be up to though.

I like Notch's card, I'm thinking it goes into red rush decks as a way late game draw engine?

Garruk might not be an actual card, they seem to have built a "face the hydra" style thing starring him - "Garruk the Slayer"
http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-news/garruk-slayer/

I don't think we'll see a real Garruk planeswalker in the core set, maybe in Khans.

Notch's card is absolutely what a red aggro deck wants to finish the job, I actually think it's a dangerously good card for the red burn deck that needs to find that last bolt.

The cycle of allied-color activation cost creatures that Marshall revealed today is...interesting. I can't get a feel for how aggressive they want this set to be, because some stuff is really aggressive and other stuff is really durdly. I feel like they want a lot of low-drop creatures that then do stuff later in the game.

The green one-drop and the blue three-drop are easily the best of that cycle, hot damn.

Nissa is crazy as hell. Her middle ability is the only one that's going to see use (maybe you use the other +1 or her ultimate as a weird finisher), but it's so good.

Slivers: Yay new art, but I bet it's going to be the same annoying "slivers YOU CONTROL" BS again.

Convoke is sweet as shit and I love the convoke cards they've revealed so far, especially the artifact.

The two cards that have me most excited are the new legendaries, particularly Yisan and Jalira. I don't know that they'll be much for limited, but they are hot shit for constructed funtimes.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 06:53

I don't mind the "Slivers you control" mechanic. Very rarely do I ever see Sliver decks anymore, so even the "All Slivers" abilities rarely come into play for the opponent. Besides, having a mix of both ensures that you could possibly get an edge up on the other Sliver deck, as long as they, too, don't have the same plan in mind.

I think Sunblade Elf is the winner out of the five so far. A nice 2/2 for G on turn two if you play your cards right, and since Nykthos is legal for another year, a great way to use all that extra mana.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 25 Jun 2014, 07:10

Its also kinda cool that there is going to be at least 1 season of standard with the shock lands
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 25 Jun 2014, 09:13

Can not wait to get my hands on Nissa. She looks super awesome.

New Phyrexia is going to be a premium beater in my green deck no question.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 25 Jun 2014, 09:17

As an EDH player all I can say to Nissa is 'Meh', she's fine but even if her ultimate goes off 1 wrath and its all over
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 25 Jun 2014, 09:43

I thought this thread was going to be about the LRR spoiler James and Graham teased during last week's draft. =P

I'm excited for a number of these cards. As someone possessed of a collector mentality, however, I have an "if it's not a reprint of a card I own, I want a playset of everything below mythic rare and a copy of each mythic" compulsion nagging at the back of my mind. This could prove to be a very expensive set for me.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 11:15

As a nearly-exclusive EDH player, I luckily only need a few cards. Anything Sliver is a sure-fire 1 of, though I may end up doing five-of - one for my EDH deck, and one for a Sliver Standard. Soul of New Phyrexia was almost designed FOR my Bosh Commander deck, and I love every bit of it. Nissa looks like she could easily go into my Elf EDH deck, as well.

A lot of other stuff is nice - I'm keeping a close eye on the Goblin output, since it looks like we're getting some nice ones - but I'm just watching right now. So far, only one thing Sliver has come out. I need more Sliver info, and I'm really excited to see if they Planeswalker Garruk again as a B/G one.

...wait, Crucible of Fire? +3/+3 to all Dragons for 4? Tarkir is Sarkhin Vol's homeplane, and he does massive stuff WITH Dragons?

Methinks I have an EDH deck idea brewing again.
Credit to Foxmar
jkefka

Postby jkefka » 25 Jun 2014, 11:18

Where are you seeing Crucible? Are they actually reprinting that? It's a mainstay of my Prossh "jund 'em out" dragon EDH deck, it gets out of hand very quickly.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 11:24

MagicSpoiler.com. They have 3 new cards up. Brawler's Plate looks fun, mainly because there's a new trample outlet, and Witch's Familar is just...well, it is.

I guess they reprinted it specifically for KHAAAAAANs of Tarkir.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 Jun 2014, 14:28

I think new Nissa seems eh. Her land animation ability isn't one I'd like to use. The fact her untap is limited to forests really kind of drags her down a lot. If you're not mono-green, then it's entirely possible it'll not untap to it's full potential. If you are mono-green, it doesn't untap Nykthos, which is what you'd likely rather untap. There isn't any 'put a land into play' ramp in standard, so you're not likely going to ramp into her and be able to play another four drop. I think her ultimate is actually pretty good, given it ramps you, fills the board with dudes, and thins your deck. Normally you aren't hurting that bad for lands (assuming you didn't animate the rest) even if they board wipe either. But overall, I just think she's kind of eh.

I think that Soul of Theros is the best Soul myself. The fact it pumps all of your guys (including itself), gives First Strike, AND gives Lifelink leads to a swing that's hard to recover from. You can use the ability even if they do doom blade him away. Colorless is really strong too. Blue is good due to card draw. Red is interesting in that it can kill stuff. Green and Black are just kind of bleh.

I like Ajani, The Steadfast. I like that he seems to have Elspeth's cloak. I like his abilities seem pretty good. I like he can make something gain you life and get stronger for a turn, or he can pump your team AND your other walkers. And his ultimate is just kind of a middle finger to burn and green beef. He seems pretty interesting. Not great, but fun. Also, Dat Art.

I personally preferred the M13 'if you have this type of land, it gets stronger' cycle. All of the ones from this seem too expensive for what they are, especially in terms of abilities. But they aren't bad by any means. The black one seems really strong in R/B limited.

Other than that... nothing stands out. White seems pretty strong to me. I'm just super looking forward to M15 limited.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 16:08

The Souls are really gonna be strong until Theros rotates out, due to Nykthos. They're perfect sinks for excess mana.

...wait...what lands? I've only seen the basics, Sliver Hive - which is amaze-balls - Darksteel Citadel, and the one that gives you 2 life. What other ones are out?
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Jun 2014, 16:18

I wasn't talking about lands. I was talking about the creatures that get stronger based on if you have a specific land. Sliver Hive is... fine. It's really good if you wanna play Slivers. Which reminds me, I should buy slivers...
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 25 Jun 2014, 17:08

I want Modern Slivers to be a thing. I want Telekinetic Sliver to have a chance to shine. Is that too much to ask? I hope that with Sliver Hive and maybe the M15 Slivers, we will get there.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 17:18

I have a Slivers EDH deck, and a Slivers Standard. Sadly, I'll lose what's in M14, but I pray they'll be enough in M15 to have my Standard Slivers still. And Sliver Hive is a must for my Commander deck.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Jun 2014, 21:42

Avacyn?! Why are you here? And how come you got so... weak?
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 25 Jun 2014, 22:30

Had a silly chat with a friend over Nissa and now all I want to do is activate her ultimate with a Hedron Crab out on the field.

Avacyn looks... fine, probably. There's no way she's gonna be able to come close to how bonkers her 8 CMC predecessor was, and this version is alright I guess?
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 23:20

I think it's the Souls, and something to do with the story. Heliod has a Pilgrim in M15, and we now know there's a Soul of Theros, so I'm sure they're connected.

Also, DAMMIT, PERILOUS VAULT! I JUST made my things Indestructible with Soul of New Phyrexia, and now YOU come along to muck it all up.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 26 Jun 2014, 01:47

Eh new Avacyn is still a slam dunk in my Angel and Archon tribal deck especially as the general is Heliod (Devotion Baby). Also the new Ob-Nixilis gets windmill slammed into my Erebos demons and minions deck, I'm actually kinda sad that there aren't any ways to force a player to search their library in mono-black apart from Maralen and thats just not a good idea at all.
jkefka

Postby jkefka » 26 Jun 2014, 04:09

New Avacyn is a little more color-heavy Serra Angel with one extra power. The abilities are gravy, on vanilla test alone she's solid. You commit to heavy white if you take her, but that seems like something this format could support.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”