LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Jul 2014, 06:47

I was just asking the question because they are not a "standard" minecraft thing so I was wondering why they existed.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Jul 2014, 08:18

Ah... OK. :)
They exist because I thought they were neat, essentially, and other people did, too. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 05 Jul 2014, 22:36

Someone's been a busy little bee...

http://imgur.com/a/7mGSh

Just to clarify though, the part of the wall made of Nether Bricks? That started life as roughly 40 stacks (approx 2560 individual bits) of raw Netherrack - with the additional cost of about 10~12 steel pickaxes, and somewhere in the vicinity of 410 lumps of coal spent to cook it all (although, being the super pro Minecrafters you guys are, I'm sure you already know the exact numbers).

Sooooo yeah... not expecting this to be done any time soon. If you guys have any spare Nether Brick, or even just Netherrack, feel free to donate a little. Uh... that said, The Omega Lair is kind of a pain in the butt to get to so... bring snacks?

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 05 Jul 2014, 23:57

Well, I know that adding bulk Netherack to the Market is in Memo's Plans. I can also share my design for a functioning (opening/closing) gate if you'd like.
Looks like this... - Click to Expand
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 07 Jul 2014, 07:09

Omega Lairon wrote:Someone's been a busy little bee...

http://imgur.com/a/7mGSh

Just to clarify though, the part of the wall made of Nether Bricks? That started life as roughly 40 stacks (approx 2560 individual bits) of raw Netherrack - with the additional cost of about 10~12 steel pickaxes, and somewhere in the vicinity of 410 lumps of coal spent to cook it all (although, being the super pro Minecrafters you guys are, I'm sure you already know the exact numbers).

Sooooo yeah... not expecting this to be done any time soon. If you guys have any spare Nether Brick, or even just Netherrack, feel free to donate a little. Uh... that said, The Omega Lair is kind of a pain in the butt to get to so... bring snacks?

Heh, I've mined my fair share of netherrack too, but I need it to start filling in the hole I left in the nether lava (eventually, I haven't been able to play much lately).

I recommend a diamond pick, Eff V, UB III, dig down into the ground where you can just keep mining in a line. Aim the pick at the top block and you can mine netherrack as fast as you can run. Turn around when you eventually hit lava, mine back down the next line over...You can fill an entire inventory (45 x 64) in about 10 minutes. Of course, it only makes 1/4 as many brick blocks...

Smelting it all down into netherbrick is another problem entirely. I recommend either making a bank of 30 or so ovens, or if you want to go all out, building a big autokiln like Siba's.

Edit: also, if you're way out in the boonies, you'll probably want visitors to come via the Nether. Probably worth marking out a path from your place to spawn.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jul 2014, 07:24

My general philosophy on furnaces is that ideally you want to have enough so that by the time you finish loading the last one, the first one will have just finished.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 07 Jul 2014, 12:42

Just be careful about strip-mining the Nether. I think it's something that tends to annoy Memo.

That said, if you do start mining down to the Lava Sea, use that for smelting. A bucket of lava will smelt 100 items; a stack and a half with change. Or, if you use coal, craft it into blocks. A block of coal smelts more than the 9 coal used to make it.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jul 2014, 13:09

I've gotten a bit lax on that, as I can more easily fix it in 1.8

Mainly just totally ignoring the Nether at this point other than getting portals fixed.

Coal blocks burn for 10 coals but are made with 9 coals.

Lava Bucket burns for 12.5 coals.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 07 Jul 2014, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 07 Jul 2014, 13:14

ChroniclerC wrote:Just be careful about strip-mining the Nether. I think it's something that tends to annoy Memo.

That said, if you do start mining down to the Lava Sea, use that for smelting. A bucket of lava will smelt 100 items; a stack and a half with change. Or, if you use coal, craft it into blocks. A block of coal smelts more than the 9 coal used to make it.

Most of my mining has been underground, just because it's a lot easier. It's tricky because a lot of people want netherbrick, but it takes 4 times as much netherrack to make it, tends to result in big mining projects.

Using a lava bucket is tricky as well because a) it burns more than a stack, so you have to have good timing not to waste a bunch of it and b) lava mining is also an issue... I put in a lot of time trying to clean up the lava mined areas around my project, and it's a cleanup job that's still ongoing.

You could buy lava buckets, but since they don't stack you can't really carry a worthwhile amount back from spawn. Better off buying the coal blocks, even if they also smelt more than a stack.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jul 2014, 13:17

deathjavu wrote:Using a lava bucket is tricky as well because a) it burns more than a stack, so you have to have good timing not to waste a bunch of it.

You could buy lava buckets, but since they don't stack you can't really carry a worthwhile amount back from spawn. Better off buying the coal blocks, even if they also smelt more than a stack.
Lava Buckets and Coal Blocks are best used with a hopper system on your furnace.

Otherwise, just input 8 coal/charcoal for a single stack of whatever.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 07 Jul 2014, 14:26

Master Gunner wrote:My general philosophy on furnaces is that ideally you want to have enough so that by the time you finish loading the last one, the first one will have just finished.

Right now I have 2 set up... that's enough, right?

Welp, looks like I found a use for all that currently "empty" space in the back yard.

ChroniclerC wrote:Just be careful about strip-mining the Nether. I think it's something that tends to annoy Memo.

I've been pretty careful about it thus far... using my extensive "getting all the way out to the ass-end of nowhere" experience to find a nice secluded spot, and only mining out large, empty islands.

deathjavu wrote: also, if you're way out in the boonies, you'll probably want visitors to come via the Nether. Probably worth marking out a path from your place to spawn.

I suppose... but I know my track record with this game so far. I try doing anything with portals, and the whole damn system will break... best to leave that whole hornet's nest alone for now.

deathjavu wrote:I recommend a diamond pick, Eff V, UB III, dig down into the ground where you can just keep mining in a line.

Now there's a fun story - I went in to Spawn to get an unbreaking/fortune pick, but I kept a few level in reserve for some freelance enchanting (one of the neighbors has a table - I hope they don't mind a little break & enter action. Sorry). So instead of the blank book I had handy, I throw my fancy new pick on the table accidentally, and now it also has silk touch. DERP.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 07 Jul 2014, 15:34

Yeah, I know AdmiralMatt has just 2, and sometimes it can be slow.

If you're gonna get more furnaces though, don't make any; there are about 3 or 4 stacks in spawn storage just sitting there.
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 08 Jul 2014, 06:18

SAJewers wrote:Yeah, I know AdmiralMatt has just 2, and sometimes it can be slow.

If you're gonna get more furnaces though, don't make any; there are about 3 or 4 stacks in spawn storage just sitting there.

Eh, it's just cobble. Literally more common than dirt.

Memo's right though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use lava unless you've got a hopper setup, and at that point you might as well go full-auto.

I suppose... but I know my track record with this game so far. I try doing anything with portals, and the whole damn system will break... best to leave that whole hornet's nest alone for now.

Well, you obviously already have a nether portal nearby to mine netherrack, so it's just a matter of finding a good path to the spawn gate.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 08 Jul 2014, 13:02

I use lava and I don't use auto-furnaces. And for super-large projects, I've got an array of eight furnaces. But then, I'm content to sit around with that going in the background and just checking on it every few minutes to swap stuff out.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 08 Jul 2014, 17:39

Is it just me, or is the Server and site down?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jul 2014, 18:39

Server's up for me. Site, I just noticed, is down, and I don't know why.

Edit: It's down because I didn't renew the domain. I was going to renew later tonight, but time zones and all with the company being in France.

If you want to play for the time being while I get that sorted (could take 12 hours for propagation), the server's IP addresses are:

IPv4: 173.246.104.36
IPv6: 2604:3400:dc1:43:216:3eff:fee4:f41a

Edit 2: Working again from the regular URL.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 09 Jul 2014, 02:51

Wait you actually set up an IPv6 access? Thats got to be a sadly rare occurrence among (minecraft) servers.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 09 Jul 2014, 06:37

Dutch guy wrote:Wait you actually set up an IPv6 access? Thats got to be a sadly rare occurrence among (minecraft) servers.

IPv6 is going to be the new standard because IPv4 is literally running out of domains...it was never designed to be used on such a global scale.

At least, once ISPs stop sitting on their asses and upgrade their infrastructure. So, probably once Google Fiber looks like more of a threat.

(someone correct me if I'm remembering this wrong)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jul 2014, 06:39

It came automatically with the server, so I used it.

Interestingly, while not available when I originally set the server up, I could now configure it to have only IPv6 access with no IPv4 access.

If I do that, that saves us 6.632¢ per day! What a bargain! ;)
James wrote:We're losing entire cents! Daily!

DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 09 Jul 2014, 07:59

It's not too common with servers because so many providers are not yet taking advantage of ipv6 for some reason. I really don't get why not.

cPanel took forever to provide ipv6 support, and they're one of the major players in web hosting control panel software.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jul 2014, 08:27

The fact that the company I work for doesn't use cPanel may be a reason why we picked it up relatively early. :)

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 09 Jul 2014, 08:58

deathjavu wrote:IPv6 is going to be the new standard because IPv4 is literally running out of domains...it was never designed to be used on such a global scale.

At least, once ISPs stop sitting on their asses and upgrade their infrastructure. So, probably once Google Fiber looks like more of a threat.

(someone correct me if I'm remembering this wrong)

Yeah, pretty much that. My ISP is currently not even providing IPv6 service. I suspect mostly because they are now charging an arm, a leg and your first born child for a static IP. (which makes hosting a server from home is becoming much harder)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 09 Jul 2014, 09:04

Dutch guy wrote:Yeah, pretty much that. My ISP is currently not even providing IPv6 service. I suspect mostly because they are now charging an arm, a leg and your first born child for a static IP. (which makes hosting a server from home is becoming much harder)

I'm sure that you're aware, but most home internet packages specifically prohibit hosting servers. But if it's not attracting any sort of abuse or high usage then it is usually ignored.

IP usage must be justified to ARIN or whoever is distributing them in your country. If they aren't justified they can actually take them back. Some of the costs for IPs are pretty outrageous, but some are justifiable. A small cost to cover reporting that justification, and to prevent everybody from trying to get one, can be pretty reasonable. I wouldn't pay more than $4 per month usually. That's even pretty high for me, but probably the norm right now.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Jul 2014, 13:25

Server's down until I can get off work.
New player came on. Mods and I were unavailable to authorize.
Too many status updates caused the server to be unstable by the time I did get on to try to authorize, and I had to take it down for its own integrity.

I'll see about getting it back up when I have time and my boss isn't looming over me.

Edit: Not only is it back up, but I have a new feature: access the IRC server via the web client.

tsukikage
First Video: Something on The Escapist...

Postby tsukikage » 12 Jul 2014, 10:04

How are users informed if their building request has been approved?

Return to “Video Games”