M15 Prerelease Experiences

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

M15 Prerelease Experiences

Postby Duckay » 11 Jul 2014, 20:46

It's that time again! How is everyone enjoying their prereleases? Anything you've noticed?

I'm presently 3-1 (waiting for the last round to fire) at my prerelease with a red/blue deck I wasn't really thrilled with. I chose red, and ended up with a few really powerful white and black cards, but not enough to actually make a deck with. The dragon is pretty good but I'm not really convinced if it's necessarily where you want to be at 7 mana. Soul of Theros is doing serious work in other people's decks (top advice for how to beat it is "win before they cast it") and there's a chap who is running 3 Ornithopter and 3 Ensoul Artifact for value.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: M15 Prerelease Experiences

Postby Dix » 12 Jul 2014, 02:56

I went 2-1-1 and I'm UBER salty about my loss. I went black (dat Tormenter tho) and was paid off with a pretty awesome black pool and a debate between green and blue. Green had a bunch of creatures but blue had evasion and a nice bounce/draw suite that I couldn't resist.

Meet "Obby's World" (aka: "Torment Never Loses")

1-3 Drops - Click to Expand

Triple Tern. So stronk.
4-6 Drops - Click to Expand

Never got the -10 life trigger off Ob Nix but he was still beastly.
The Sideboard - Click to Expand

The other 3 blue cards in my pool were terrible (Glacial Crasher- biggie that needed a mountain, Aeronaut Tinker- got flying with artifact in play, and Nimbus of the Isles- the 3/3 flyer for 4B). I did get value off Festergloom in sideboarding situation.

First round I played against a LRR fan playing BG who recognized my zones playmat and we tied after going to turns. Second round I 2-0 stomped a girl who started playing in April who got a Hornet Queen down in game 1 but only attacked with the queen and not tokens (to be fair, I did have a few big fliers they were holding back) and I stalled enough to build up my Sadist with counters to ping the tokens to death and then pummeled her with Terns and Tormenter (a common occurrence). I got to walk her through some interactions her deck had post-loss and show her stuff she didn't know she could do like how her promo (of which she actually had TWO in her pool)would shock the board on attack and wouldn't necessarily pair well with the rare red enchantment that gives "Tap to deal damage equal to toughness to creature or the face" because of loss of shock value (heh).

Round Three. Round. Three. Going off a Graham reply tweet, I allowed something illegal that ended up costing me a game. Long story short: somewhere around turn 8 or 9 opponent plays Juggernaut, pauses a second and then says "oh crap... I didn't mean to play that.". What would you do? Let him just take it back and play something else? I was reticent to do so and let him roll a d4 and even=takeback and odds=play stands. He got a 4. So he takes it back and then uses the 3BB kill spell on my 7/7 Ob Nix. As he was returning Juggernaut to hand he said "I'll just play it next turn then" and I said "thats fine". Of course he never plays it and wins two turns later (had I had one extra turn I would have drawn a response to his beatdowns). So I lost game 1 to him taking advantage of my kindness. I got salty after that and it only grew after I mana flooded (drew 6 straight land turns 4-10 and had 0 board state and got stomped) and lost 0-2. I was not happy at all.

So I calmed down and ended up going 2-0 in my game 4 against a guy with a GW deck that had all kinds of the odd green bouncy creatures and was main decking the gain 8 life convoke spell (of which he played both games and I still demolished him). I went T1 Sadist, T2 Tern both games. Lets just say that's a potent combo... especially paired with a T3 Military Intel.

Anyway, Black feels super weird without all its usual cheap good removal suite but was still really fun to play with. I only lost 3 games all evening (total of 5-3-1 on the night) when my Indulgent Tormenter DIDN'T hit the battlefield. When it did land, I either won or tied. Its quite a house, even if you let it sit. My Round 4 opponent let me keep drawing 2 off it and it just powered me home to wins. This definitely feels like a slightly slower format that THS Block. My 3 losses also came when I was either super flooded (6-7 lands straight) or mana starved (4 lands with 5 CMCs in hand)

I should also mention that the winner at my store had a Soul of Theros in his deck and was his wincon basically.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2014, 03:54

Yea, having a slightly better chance at a Soul of Theros is the BIG reason I heavily considered going white honestly. But I ended up going green for the event. Ended up G/R after opening up a foil Chandra and a foil Hoarder Dragon. The 4/4 dragon for 5 put in a lot of work just as a 4/4. Chandra didn't show up for the first half of the night, and was a dead card more than a few times due to not hitting two mountains (I was running 8/8/Evolving Wilds). But when she came out and did some work, she did some work. Her ability was normally late enough in the game that I'd just 0 her to 'draw a card' basically. Her pinging was strong enough to make sure my opponent would lose in the long term. She ended up being an all-star.

Genesis Hydra proved good, if unexciting. Hornet Queen, however, basically stole a bunch of games. They had powerful fliers and/or Tormentors. I'd play the hornet, hold down the air, and just sac 1/1s until I drew into gas. It's just really hard to deal with 5 deathtouch fliers at any stage in the game. The promo itself was pretty useless, but I did 'live the dream' a couple times of giving it a bowl of Hot Soup. A dream that was ruined one of those times by a Torch Fiend. But the secret tech was A Phrexian Revoker who shut down an opponent's Soul of Innistrad from getting stuff back. It still became a 10/10 lifelink deathtouch, but I managed to come back and win from it.

Overall went 4-1. The only loss was due to getting seriously mana-screwed my first match. Three land of one color game one, and top-decking a bunch of land after a mull to five in the second. Also, got kind of salty my last match because, it being 5 in the morning, I forgot to untap my guy during untap. My 7/2 unblockable who was going to kill my opponent. So my opponent was like 'nope, doesn't get to untap.' I could be wrong, but this is a casual REL event, isn't it? Missing untap because you didn't do it before draws doesn't mean you shouldn't get to untap at this level of rules enforcement, should it? I just accepted it, but it just kind of seemed douche-like to me.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2014, 04:00

Dix wrote:somewhere around turn 8 or 9 opponent plays Juggernaut, pauses a second and then says "oh crap... I didn't mean to play that.". What would you do? Let him just take it back and play something else? I was reticent to do so and let him roll a d4 and even=takeback and odds=play stands. He got a 4. So he takes it back and then uses the 3BB kill spell on my 7/7 Ob Nix. As he was returning Juggernaut to hand he said "I'll just play it next turn then" and I said "thats fine". Of course he never plays it and wins two turns later (had I had one extra turn I would have drawn a response to his beatdowns). So I lost game 1 to him taking advantage of my kindness. I got salty after that and it only grew after I mana flooded (drew 6 straight land turns 4-10 and had 0 board state and got stomped) and lost 0-2. I was not happy at all.

I'm usually more forgiving myself, but I kind of ended up not letting someone take something similar to that back. He tapped out his mana to play Nissa. This guy got Nissa, Chandra, AND Lilianna and played them all... and he go them all out against me. Still ended up killing every one of them. But he taps out his mana to play Nissa, then +1's her to make a forest a 4/4 trample. After he does and put a dice on it to designate it as such, he realized he could have used a mana dork to leave his forest untap in order to attack. I kind of had to draw the line, as it was both a very big play, and he waited so long to try to take it back. I'm kind of guilty I didn't let him (as mentioned in the last post, casual REL enforcement and all). But I felt like that far made it a bit unfair to take it back at that point.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 12 Jul 2014, 07:11

Went 3-1 with a WU mess. Not quite enough tempo plays to control, not quite enough low drops to aggro. Mostly walls and flyers. MVP was Scuttling Doom Engine; resolved it 4 times, i think, and never lost the game.

Traded for a Chord of Calling; might try to do a prophet bant deck in standard.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 12 Jul 2014, 09:20

Picked red for better odds at removal.

Only ended up opening a single Cone of Flame. No Lightning Strikes, no Stoke the Flames, no Heat Ray.

I did open FIVE Flame Fists though, ran 3 of them and they performed pretty well.

Opened Soul of Theros AND Avacyn, so obv decided to go Red/White. Went 3/1 at the prerelease and was very close to going 4/0. Triplicate Spirits did a tonne of work (I had 2) and it was well supported by my white anthem guy, who tended to be a magnet.

Only match I lost was when I got blown out by Cone of Flame which is just a serious freaking card.

Will be doing another event in a few hours, I'm tempted to do white this time just for better Triplicate Spirit odds, because that card is serious business.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 12 Jul 2014, 10:03

My LGS decided to give us all a lunch break. Right now, my R/U deck is 2-0. My red seeded pack was pretty strong, albeit lacking in a good rare. (I mean, Kurkesh is fine, but it's pretty much only a Borderland Minotaur.) But I'm doing fine with a deck that's just raw aggression and Military Tactics. And in both of my matches, I was able to go turn 2 Generator Servant, turn 3 a 2-drop and Illusionary Angel. Filthy.

Update 1: Was blown out in round 3 by U/B. Did not get the Generator Servant start. Eve proved to be a nice lightning rod, which allowed the black promo to smash me.

Update 2: Final record was 2-2. Lost to G/B. Green soul wrecked me.

My deck:
Pathmage was cut when I realized it put me on 41 after land.
Last edited by MowDownJoe on 12 Jul 2014, 11:52, edited 4 times in total.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 12 Jul 2014, 10:31

I went with the white pack. Ended up building a WUR thing that can only be described as "a deck", using Boonweaver Giant to draw out Spectra Ward and others, while punching face with an assortment of other white creatures (I used the red for burn, Hammerhand and Brood Keeper; the blue for Turn To Frog, Polymorphists' Jest and Divination).

Ended up going 2 wins and 3 losses. Overall, M15 seems really really fun, and I'm looking forward to the drafts.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 12 Jul 2014, 16:16

Guys, I'm hearing about a lot of funny business going on during your games, so let me give you the best event advice you'll ever read. Ask a judge.

Not sure how to resolve a play or what's polite in a situation? Ask a judge. Don't ask your friend, or Graham, or your opponent, and certainly not yourself. Just ask a judge! That's what they're there for. Anyone who might look at you sideways for calling a judge is simply doing it wrong. Asking a judge. Just do it.

Anyway, I had a great time and I really like the set so far. 3-2 really didn't do justice to the deck.

http://imgur.com/mv0oYPz&BpICHFd (1-3)

Inferno Fist is a really great card. When it's not functioning as timely removal (which it usually is), it does double duty as a cheap aura to punish opponents who stumble.

http://imgur.com/mv0oYPz&BpICHFd#1 (4-7)

(Apologies for my camera. That's a Covenant of Blood and a Heat Ray down there.)

I only drew my rares a couple times each, they were OK when they came out. The real bombs in my deck were Cone of Flame and Kird Chieftain, however. I pulled two Evolving Wilds, so I never failed to find my single Forest when I wanted it.

Burning Anger was generally mediocre, but in one very special game it landed on a Child of Night and then proceeded to kill four creature cards and dome my opponent for 16 (he gained a lot of life with the Angel promo... but not as much as I gained off that Child).

My best story is from the one match I felt my deck was completely outclassed. I go Child of Night into Inferno Fist and he plays Hornet Nest.

"Ah-ha," I think, and drop my sideboarded Crippling Blight before attacking for four more lifelink damage. So what does he do but slam Hunt the Weak and dump four hornets on the table. I'd already thrown my cards in the graveyard before he reminded me that the -1/-1 from Crippling Blight meant the Child wasn't dead.

I actually managed to win that game off the back of the Tormentor, Cone of Flame and a couple of minor misplays on his end, but it was still one of the biggest blowouts of the tournament that I saw.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 12 Jul 2014, 17:52

Went with black because everyone else at my LGS seemed to want green and white. Urborg and the Murk Lurker prompted me to go U/B with emphasis on the B. The plan was to get low-drop blue guys out quickly and bounce threats until I could get big guys and hard removal on-line. And it worked... when land deigned to cooperate with me. Ended up 2-3 with one loss due to flooding and the other two to being stuck on 2 or 3 land (and also, at the end, being so exhausted that I started doing stupid shit like trying to block with a tapped creature). I rematched two of those losses to kill time between rounds (I lost in less than 10 minutes in one of them so there was LOTS of time to kill) and the deck did much better each time. Too bad it didn't count.

Cards that gave me a real hard time: Spectra Ward (obviously) and Cone of Flame. I'm thankful I didn't get matched up against the guy who was living the Ensoul-Ornithopter dream.
Caustic Tar put in a lot more work than I expected it to. It was my 23rd card, and I'd considered running Meteorite instead.

Deck List - Click to Expand
I ended up calling it "Three's Company" because the number 3 was quite prevalent in the deck.
x1 Frost Lynx
x1 Into the Void
x1 Jorubai Murk Lurker
x1 Nimbus of the Isles
x2 Research Assistant
x1 Turn to Frog

x1 Accursed Spirit
x1 Caustic Tar
x1 Endless Obedience
x1 Eternal Thirst
x1 Feast on the Fallen
x2 Flesh to Dust
x1 Indulgent Tormentor
x1 Necrobite
x1 Necrogen Scudder
x1 Sign in Blood
x1 Ulcerate
x2 Witch's Familiar
x2 Zof Shade

x1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
x6 Island
x10 Swamp
Last edited by Juliamon on 12 Jul 2014, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
brb, assaulting children.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 12 Jul 2014, 17:53

One girl at the pre-release opened Ajani, Nissa, and a foil Garruk.

I opened two Ornithopters and a Scuttling Doom Engine. I have to say, enchanting an Ornithopter with Inferno Fist is really satisfying, and the aura works well with Cone of Flame to just wipe a board, especially when you have an active Nightfire Giant. Honestly, my deck was just B/R burn with only two direct damage spells (Cone of Flame and Lightning Strike).

Krenko's Enforcer and Xathrid Slyblade turned out to be huge threats my opponents couldn't deal with, the Enforcer going on the offensive and the Slyblade being an incredible blocker (when I had 4 mana up).

I ended up 2-2 because there were times the deck just couldn't get going soon enough.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 12 Jul 2014, 20:34

I picked white for my second prerelease and was quite surprised at the sheer lack of white cards in my seeded pack. Seriously. Besides the promo and the guaranteed on color rare (the quite awesome Spirit Bonds) I had 2 white cards. Yeah. Anwyay, I had a very shallow white pool and was deciding between WG aggro/convoke or WB stuff. I stayed true to my old school days and went WG. I went 3-1 and finished 5th in my store based on opponent win percentage (they weren't that good) which is the best I've ever finished at a prerelease event. I've had many a 2-1-1.

I give you "Dude, where's my White?":

1-3 drops - Click to Expand

Sunblade Elf and Sungrace Pegasus were my All-Stars of the day

3-7 drops - Click to Expand

I know I know... 3 7 drops... but two have convoke. And I never ONCE saw Scuttling Doom Engine in my hand. I was sad. Dude is a house.
Round one was relatively uneventful where I rolled over my opponent after we both ended up stalling out for a while drawing nothing but land many times in a row. Opponent ended up scooping after not getting answers to my pegasus boosted by the Paragon. Took him nearly to time just due to durdling around with stuff. (2-0 Win)

Round two was my loss at the hands of a RB burn deck that was running all sorts of mini removal and goblin kaboomist and ended up with a Soul of Innistrad. He used the -1/-1 enchantment on my turn 1 and 2 plays in both games (Sunblade Elf and Oreskos Swiftclaw in both games) and in game 2 I drew 6 straight lands, then drew a Gather Courage and ended up with no board on the next turn and got wrecked. Drew the next few cards post game: land, land, land, Hunt the Hunter, Land, Land, Land, Selfless Cathar, Resolute Angel. Yeesh. (0-2 Loss)

Round 3 me and my opponent durdled a whole bunch during game 1 with big stretches of us drawing just land and I ended up winning the day with boosted up Pegasus (had +1/+1 counter on it and I used the +1/+1 ability from the Elf and sacced the cathar AND they had +1/+1 from the Paragon AND vigilance from it. Wow. Much lifegain. So stronk.). Those guys did some work for me all day long. Game 2 my deck FINALLY decided to cook off like intended. I think I had him dead by turn 5 with curving out with Sunblade, Swiftclaw, Netcaster, and totem with the counter on swiftclaw and using mana on 5 to use Sunblade's ability. It was gross. (2-0 Win)

Round 4 I pretty much did the same thing with my opponent as R3G2: I won 2-0 in roughly 7-10 minutes. Deck cooked off splendidly by turn 6 in Game 1 and in Game 2 I got to this board state by about turn 6 (Seraph was convoked in and was a 7/7 and the spider had the +1/+1 token):

Dat Board State Tho - Click to Expand

It was quite fun to see it cook off with my aggro convoke strategy like I wanted in the end. (2-0 Win)

Also, it must be said, the Paragon cycle of Anthem on a stick are amazing. I had the black one last night and white today and they did WORK.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 12 Jul 2014, 21:50

Prerelease day 2.

First pool had 2 Soul of Shandalar and a Garruk. Only went 2 and 2 in it. Pretty sure both matches I lost I forgot aboutthe Soul ability from my graveyard.

Second pool had mostly dirt but I went 3/1 and got prizes. Actually had Hushwing Gryff do serious work. Opponent was in blueblack and had coral barriers and rotfeaster maggots that did so little vs me.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 12 Jul 2014, 21:52

I helped judge for today's prerelease the entire day, which was a normal 1v1 event in the morning and then 2HG in the afternoon. I don't think much product was given out for 2HG with so many games going to overtime and eventually a draw; I think M14 gave out more prizes for 2HG if only because slivers was an actual deck you could construct. Also Siege Dragon gave us 2HG judges a headache for about an hour.

I would also like to thank the many players who didn't care for their giant Garruk cards because now I have a playset. Dunno what this will do for me, but why wouldn't I want a playset of a planeswalker?

Now to actually play on Sunday and hope for like two Ensoul Artifacts and maybe four Ornithopters.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 12 Jul 2014, 22:46

My prerelease was almost an all-around disaster. (Rant incoming; you've been warned.)

First, the store had been advertising that as long as each prerelease got 10 people to play, they'd give the winner a box of M15. The midnight prerelease (that I didn't go to) got 13 people. The noon prerelease (which I went to) got 8. So from the start, things weren't great.

Second, the store promised that they would provide pizza at each of their prereleases, as they had in the past. Again, midnight got it, we didn't.

The third part was my fault, as I had been locked in on black almost the entire run up to the prerelease, and then in the 24 hours beforehand I saw an article by a well-known Magic pro (whose name sounds like a video game) that suggested black wasn't a good prerelease pick, and then I watched part of a livestream on Twitch from a store in the UK where the winner had played a white pool, which was my backup color plan, and no one in the top 6 had played black. So, foolishly as it turns out, I audibled to White.

The rares I pulled: Resolute Archangel (the promo), Liliana Vess, Hushwing Gryff, the green Bard legend, a foil of the red Goblin that makes Goblins attack, Burning Anger, and double Spectra Ward. The first deck I built was GW decent stuff, featuring my only bit of fixing (Verdant Haven). After getting smashed in two straight games by a Black/Red deck with double Tormentor, I swapped out the green for black. I then lost my next match in 3 games, where the only game I won was on the back of Ornithopter Voltron, and the one and only time all day I got to cast my promo, my opponent had a Hushwing Gryff of his own. The third and final round, I received a bye, because 1 person had dropped, and everyone else had won a match. My prize pack for finishing 5th-ish contained Haunted Plate Mail as the rare.

After the disappointment that was my prerelease, I stuck around for a game of EDH. That seemed to be going well, as my Ruric That deck stayed pretty much in check with everyone else, until one of my opponents showed that he was going to Animate Dead his Worldgorger Dragon the next turn, which through a convoluted series of bouncing would allow him to kill us all at once. He was on 25 life, so the only other opponent capable of attacking him that turn took him down to 13. All I needed to do was get one of my two attackers (either Pelakka Wurm or Ruric Thar) through his Maze of Ith for at least 7 damage to ensure he would kill himself with the Animate Dead, which the Kessig Wolf Run I had on board or either of the bloodrush creatures in my hand would allow me to do. I went to declare attackers, and declared both of them as expected. The fourth player, who had before and during the game said such things as "I'm not really a combo player" and "I don't really like infinite combos" decides that, rather than letting me kill the guy about to combo out and letting the three of us keep playing on, the best play is to Maze of Ith my other attacker, to ensure that the combo goes off unimpeded.

I won't claim that I'm the most rational person in the world, but I hope it isn't too hard to believe that I entertained very serious thoughts about quitting Magic and/or never going back to that store on the drive home. I've managed to talk myself out of that for now, but I finally understand better why people leave this grand game.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2014, 23:36

eostby wrote:The rares I pulled: Resolute Archangel (the promo), Liliana Vess, Hushwing Gryff, the green Bard legend, a foil of the red Goblin that makes Goblins attack, Burning Anger, and double Spectra Ward.

That... seems like pretty good pulls honestly. Like, the Hushwing Gryff is actually pretty bad. But the goblin, double spectra ward, and burning anger are all solid cards. The Spectra Wards alone make a guy a near impossible to kill or block guy. I don't know the rest of your pool, but it sounds like you should have gone W/R Auras or something similar. Not much help now, but food for thought for future games.

As for the Commander game... the third guy doesn't sound like he was doing much and just wanted to get the game over with. Maybe he knew the winning guy and figured he'd let him win. I'm not sure, but I feel like there are reasons for it. That said, I do know the feeling of having someone just randomly decide to help kill you for no good reason.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jul 2014, 23:38

My second prerelease experience went better, with me coming 2nd off the back of U/B with double Tormentor (sorry) and a bunch of sweet tempo plays. I wanted to play red so badly because I had 6 wonderful red spells and nothing else in red.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 13 Jul 2014, 00:27

Kapol wrote:
eostby wrote:The rares I pulled: Resolute Archangel (the promo), Liliana Vess, Hushwing Gryff, the green Bard legend, a foil of the red Goblin that makes Goblins attack, Burning Anger, and double Spectra Ward.

That... seems like pretty good pulls honestly. Like, the Hushwing Gryff is actually pretty bad. But the goblin, double spectra ward, and burning anger are all solid cards. The Spectra Wards alone make a guy a near impossible to kill or block guy. I don't know the rest of your pool, but it sounds like you should have gone W/R Auras or something similar. Not much help now, but food for thought for future games.

Yeah, looking back at the pool, RW would have been decent, with the same weakness to flying all the other version had, but with ways to make up for that. Oh well.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 Jul 2014, 04:44

Phosphatide wrote:I would also like to thank the many players who didn't care for their giant Garruk cards because now I have a playset. Dunno what this will do for me, but why wouldn't I want a playset of a planeswalker?

I didn't get to play Prerelease, but I did know that people were just going to leave the oversized Garruks on the tables, so I asked a friend who did play to grab me one. He and another friend got me a grand total of 10. I gave one to the owner of our new FLGS (they didn't get to prerelease because WPN took too long setting up his account).
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 13 Jul 2014, 04:57

Some cards that were real powerhouses I witnessed or played (in no particular order): Military Intelligence, Soul of Theros, Indulgent Tormentor, Stoke the Flames, Nightfire Giant, Generator Servant, Inferno Fist, Void Snare.
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 13 Jul 2014, 07:04

Pulled the Green Bard and the Blue Polymorphist with only charging rhino and will forged golem as bombs, so I played Grixis aggro instead. Got matched down due to some early losses, and then came across two lifegain decks, which managed to stall me out.

Still picked up some cool legendaries, shivan reef, and a few cards I wanted for EDH, so a net win, I suppose.
rucdoc
First Video: unknown

Postby rucdoc » 13 Jul 2014, 07:15

I'm jelous, I have to wait another what two or three weeks before we get to play m15 on mtgo
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 13 Jul 2014, 08:04

Man, people have been (rightly) afraid of Generator Servants now and I can see why. Hasty promo dragons on turn 5 are fairly insane. Also Cone of Flame is just bonkers.

*edit* Also Hushwing Gryff may only be mediocre in most fights but it sure works over the White promo -_^ "Go back up to 20" "ut ut ut, not so fast"
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 13 Jul 2014, 09:14

The white promo made for a lot of angry players in 2HG. There's an immense feeling of despair when you get a team fown to 6 life or so, and then they just drop the angel and go right back up to 30. Maybe that was why so many games ended in a draw.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jul 2014, 11:13

Went Black, Went 4-0-1 last round was a split. guy at the counter said "so you are back huh" In the last 4 prereleases I was in 3rd 1st round 3 1-2 drop, and today in second.

The big thing I screwed up last time was I got too focused on my rares. Last time I lost round one and round two hard, switched into black red with no rares and won easy.

So this time I ignored my rares Ajani, Specral Ward, Chasm Stalker, phytotitan, urbog tomb.

And built my deck. B Splash ur with 4 islands 4 mountains, 8 swamps, and the urbog even though of my 23 I had 4 blue mana symbols, 5 red mana symbols and like 18 black.

My overall MVP's were Double Carrion Crow, Double Wall of limbs, triple eternal thirst. I had a wall of limbs and a eternal thirst in 6 of my opening hands and one or the other in the other two. Also Tormenter is OP.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”