Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Jun 2014, 12:37

Star Wars: Last Command by Timothy Zahn. I love the Empire Trilogy because of Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Jun 2014, 13:17

Any comments on the recent Disney de-canonization of the EU?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Jun 2014, 13:44

BLARGH!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 17 Jun 2014, 06:43

Some of the extended universe was a bit shit.

I have finished On The Road and moved onto Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Jun 2014, 14:59

Yeah, there was some good stuff in the EU, but there was also a lot of stuff that felt like bad fanfiction. Keeping the old EU meant keeping all of it.

De-canonizing it doesn't mean everything has to change, they can keep certain ideas and re-write them into the lore. It simply allows them to strat over with a clean slate.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 14 Jul 2014, 16:54

A strange little thought... I stayed a few nights at a friend's place so I raided his bookshelf for something to read and ended up with one about Harold Shipman. The prologue went to great lengths to say that they didn't want to disrespect the victims by focusing more on their killer than on them, but... The book was published with Shipman's name in big letters, and his face on the cover.

The same sort of applies to everything in the true crime genre, and it's very sad. I still can't decide whether it's better to own the fact that you're selling to a crowd who wants to know the gory details of the criminal, or to take the time to acknowledge that it's sort of fucked up that we care more about the killer than his victims (even if you then go on to do the same thing as everyone else).

This may not make much sense, I'm just sort of rambling.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Jul 2014, 17:12

I'm reading Coupland's relatively new novel, Worst Person Ever, and it is tremendously vile. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Jul 2014, 23:24

Volafortis wrote:Yeah, there was some good stuff in the EU, but there was also a lot of stuff that felt like bad fanfiction. Keeping the old EU meant keeping all of it.

De-canonizing it doesn't mean everything has to change, they can keep certain ideas and re-write them into the lore. It simply allows them to strat over with a clean slate.

Except certain characters like Mara Jade and Corran Horn are now gone. Along with the X-Wing series which was probably the best thing ever to come out of the EU. And Jaina Solo. But I guess no one cares about her all that much.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Jul 2014, 03:31

I didn't think anybody cared all that much about the EU in the first place.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Jul 2014, 03:47

No I guess you're right.

LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 16 Jul 2014, 04:03

I finished Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett and Grave Peril by Jim Butcher on honeymoon.

Raising Steam was... less funny than I'm used to from Pratchett, and certainly nowhere near as good as Going Postal or Thud which are the two it's most connected to, but it's still pretty good.

Grave Peril was... Well, it was a Dresden Files book. I enjoyed it as much as the first two and got annoyed with exactly the same things as I did with the first two.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 16 Jul 2014, 04:55

My to-read list is slowly building up again - Currently I have the entire Space Marine Battles series, some Poirot and I want to re-read the Harry Potter series again.

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Jul 2014, 06:24

Geoff_B wrote:
Volafortis wrote:Yeah, there was some good stuff in the EU, but there was also a lot of stuff that felt like bad fanfiction. Keeping the old EU meant keeping all of it.

Except certain characters like Mara Jade and Corran Horn are now gone. Along with the X-Wing series which was probably the best thing ever to come out of the EU. And Jaina Solo. But I guess no one cares about her all that much.

If that's your mark of quality, no wonder they tossed the lot in the bin.

Frankly, I quite enjoyed the original Thrawn trilogy, which really felt like it had the structure and pacing of the movies while still expanding the world and characters. Nothing else held a candle to it.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 17 Jul 2014, 06:43

I think what is good and what isn't will eternally come down to a matter of taste. Remember getting into a debate with a(now-former, but not because of this argument) friend about whether or not Mandalorians were mary-sues or not. His opinion was based off of the Republic Commando series, which is about an Elite Troop of Clone troopers, not Mandalorians, but somehow he still felt those books made Mandalorians into mary-sues.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 17 Jul 2014, 06:50

What I loved about the X-Wing series is that there were no jedi, no force, no characters-who-are-in-everything-else, just a bunch of normal people/aliens going up against villains and threats. X-Wing - The Bacta Wars is probably my most read of any Star Wars book.

intrepid.cml
First Video: Can't even remember

Postby intrepid.cml » 17 Jul 2014, 09:46

Currently I am working my way through the audiobooks of the Dresden Files. I have read them all before and love them. I am reading The World Without Us by: Alan Weisman.
Godspeed young cosmonaut.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 18 Jul 2014, 11:31

Finished The Godfather and now on to Jurassic Park.
Almost done with it and have to say that it is almost 100% different from the movie. Don't get me wrong I love the movie but the 2 are entirely separate stories.

After Jurassic Park I will be reading World War Z because apparently this summer I am only reading books that have been made into movies.

Oh, and Bebop Man you were right about The Godfather. I didn't understand the broken lady parts scene either. I figure the author read an article about that and wanted it in his book.

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jul 2014, 22:09

I recently finish The Middle Class: A History by Lawrence James which not surprisingly is a history of the British middle class.

I am rereading Terry Pracett's Guards! Guards! as well.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Jul 2014, 22:26

I found out last weekend that Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's "The Long Earth" is not a single book, but the first part of a trilogy. I'm currently reading the other two (though not simultaneously), despite being annoyingly busy.

Edit: Oh! I don't know if it counts, but after "The wolf among us" I've bought some of the fable books, which I plan to read after TP & SB's two, and I have bought Batman Black and White volume 4, which was full of short stories as excellent as the first three. Highly recommended if you get the chance.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 31 Jul 2014, 10:01

Finished Guards!, Guards!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 31 Jul 2014, 14:22

I think that's honestly one of my favourite of the Discworld books. Vimes is certainly my favourite lead character
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 31 Jul 2014, 14:35

I may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I stopped reading it last time about 20 pages in, but this time I've picked it up and it's got me hooked.

I'm reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's absolutely brilliant.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jul 2014, 14:39

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I think that's honestly one of my favourite of the Discworld books. Vimes is certainly my favourite lead character

It certainly was my favourite until I read Going Postal. Vimes still sneaks ahead as my favourite lead, but I think Going Postal is just brilliant. (Also, I was so happy when they cast Richard Coyle as Moist, but that's going a bit off-track.)
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Aug 2014, 00:16

Prompted by the discussion of Hogwarts houses in a recent LRRcast, I am rereading the Harry Potter books. I have finished the Philosopher's Stone and now I am onto the Chamber of Secrets.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 11 Aug 2014, 13:59

So many huge fantasy books, so little time.

I'm almost halfway through the second of Malazan Book of the Fallen, Deadhouse Gates. Really, reeeeeeeaaaaaally good, but it's like almost a thousand pages, man. Crazy stuff.

After that, I've got some things scheduled. Gotta finish the first Wheel of Time book (not the greatest, but it'll be a fun diversion after all this "literally everyone dies ever, also complicated plot" fantasy I've been reading), then probably onto either The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie doing what he does best: terrible people doing terrible things to slightly more terrible people), or the third Malazan book, Memories of Ice, which is like, another thousand goddamn pages, man. Seriously.

I love it, though, I really do.

Return to “General Discussion”