The Biggest, Blackest Dump

News, with silly hats.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

The Biggest, Blackest Dump

Postby Kathleen » 16 Jul 2014, 11:23

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ckest-Dump

There's a new black material and Kathleen and Ash are EXCITED. Also a drunk mayor and a crazy lady from Canada.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Re: The Biggest, Blackest Dump

Postby mariomario42 » 16 Jul 2014, 11:34

Hey! I can talk about the black stuff!

While not this name brand, my year long project I finished a couple months ago used CNTs on metal substrates to eliminate light for optical telescopes (well, the idea at least). From the place we got them from, a square tube 6 in long cost around $100,000 (luckily we made a deal). But yes! There were 90 degree corners that I could not see. Also not gonna be for clothing anytime soon, especially since they can flake off easily and may be toxic.

I can post a pic or two later tonight if people are interested :)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Jul 2014, 12:00

...colour me very, very interested.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 16 Jul 2014, 12:41

I read a thing a bunch of years ago about then-theoretical hyperblack colors that they believed would be mostly invisible to the naked eye, being so dark that the eye would treat it as a blind spot and overlook it. Invisible ninja suits can be a real thing, you guys!

I'll never call it "ventablack" or any such silly brand names though. You could trademark a nuance of ultraviolet under the name "Starbucks purple" and it would sound just as respectable.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 16 Jul 2014, 13:38

Off-topic, but we should take a census of how many Feed Dump thumbnails are of Paul looking surprised.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Jul 2014, 14:07

By my count, seven (depending on one's definition of surprised)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 16 Jul 2014, 16:43

Alright, post time!

Here's our CNT coated pieces. This is the only picture we really have of them (I asked probably a dozen times before I got this single one) outside the design. I would want a better one, but oh well. The pics inside aren't really as cool looking since you can't see anything.

Here we have an isolated strand sticking out a little. The entire bar at the bottom is a tenth of a millimeter.

Next we did some scratch testing. CNTs like each other, so they just kinda clump together.

This project also helped me get my current job since it was optical related :) And I can start showing the analysis pics that show how much better these are, but I think the cool looking SEM pictures are nicer.
Preacher
First Video: The Job

Postby Preacher » 16 Jul 2014, 18:07

So I walked into my work a couple of days ago, I work at a hospital as a ward clark. The first thing I hear is, said completely straight with no trace of sarcasm or humor, "Don't give him that, that will turn his poo black. And That Would Be Bad"
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Evil Smurf
First Video: I can't remember, it was on the escapist

Postby Evil Smurf » 16 Jul 2014, 22:15

I can't load the video, on either mobile safari, or chrome. Ironically, all I see is a black rectangle.

Halp

Return to “Feed Dump”