The Limited thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Re: The Limited thread

Postby jkefka » 15 Jun 2014, 05:01

I hosted a little Conspiracy birthday party yesterday. Had six players, so we did two drafts (I kept all the cards to cube later). First draft ended up Grixis Defenders and won on pinging (which was an unexpected strategy for me). Second draft had a sort of scattershot deck...then I opened Wordlknit in pack 3 :D :D :D
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 15 Jun 2014, 16:59

A Vintage Masters draft I did. I went in trying to force blue as it's the only color I hadn't played yet, and ended up with more or less a U/R good stuff deck with a bunch of removal, some decent threats, and some ways to draw or dig through cards. Finished 2-1 only losing to a R/B deck that blew me out with a Living Death. I pulled a Badlands too (dual lands have certainly tanked in value due to VM and Badlands is far from the most valuable one, but still not entirely worthless).
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 19 Jun 2014, 09:41

This deck did some work. Piledriver is of course an MVP goblin, and with Matron calling him up and then another matron calling up the Warchief, there isn't much a blue deck can do to stand against the onslaught.

I've currently won my first match, I'll come by and let you guys know if I do any more winning. :)

ETA: I 3-0'd it. Won three packs (Swiss) So just need to go get 4 tickets and I'm ready for my next Vintage Master's draft. :)
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Jul 2014, 07:34

Decided to do a M14 Daily Sealed, just for fun... Will be back later with the results:

Round 1 vs. a Red/Blue deck
R1G1: Got down an Elvish Mystic and a Darksteel Ingot for a turn 3 Kalonian Hydra and my opponent just scooped.
R1G2: Got my Hydra down Turn 6, swung in, then got it stolen and it killed me.
R1G3: Kept hitting him with spiders while he kept hitting in with Academy Raider, pitching cards, and using red removal on the guys I put down. Saved my Hydra until Turn 9, when he was down to 2 life and I had 13. He stole it on Turn 10 and Claustrophobia-ed it after he attacked for 8. I just kept building my board and he kept building his, until he just had 1 more guy than me and stomped me. So close, though, with life totals 0 to 1.

Round 2 vs. No Clue
Won via time-out

Round 3 vs. a Blue/Green Hexproof-Deathtouch deck
R3G1: Just a straight back and forth until I lost.
R3G2: Turn 1 Elvish Mystic, Turn 2 Witchstalker, Turn 3 Trollhide on the Witchstalker. Started beating face until he got a Jace down Turn 5. I got my Kalonian Hydra down Turn 6, ignored Jace, and swung in for lethal Turn 7. Interestingly, I didn't get ANY mountains that game.
R3G3: It was apparently "Cancel all my spells Day" because I couldn't get much to resolve before he killed me.

Round 4 vs. a Green/Black deck
R4G1: Kalonian Tusker + Trollhide + Dark Favor + Advocate of the Beast is pretty powerful. Lost very quickly.
R4G2: Rumble back and forth again, and I lost.

So, 1-3 but it felt good. :) I didn't see Enlarge at all during the whole tournament.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 06 Jul 2014, 15:18

I drafted JBT last night at the FLGS. The red+white aggro deck just came to me. I got a fifth-pick Wingsteed Rider in the Theros pack. I got two Magma Jet and two Bolt of Keranos.

I lost two out of 7 matches -- one of my losses I played again in semifinals and knocked him out. I got knocked out in finals by an even better white-red aggro deck that had gone undefeated that night.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Jul 2014, 03:55

Just crushed my first M15 FNM draft. Maybe there will eventually be a day where people stop passing Inferno Fist so much, but today is not that day...

Here's what I got...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 Jul 2014, 17:40

So far, it seems like people undervalue red (little early to tell, though). You can get some great aggressive decks going in Red. My LGS ran a draft and, after opening a P1P1 Chandra and taking it, got passed a lot of amazing red like a couple of Borderland Marauders, a couple of Krenko's Enforcers, a Stoke the Flames, a Lightning Strike, a Generator Servant and a Altec Bloodseeker. I was practically mono-red in pack 1, and after realizing blue wasn't open (I REALLY wanted to drop a hasty Illusory Angel turn 3 with the Generator), veered into a pretty solid R/G deck:
10 Mountain
7 Forest

Generator Servant
Altac Bloodseeker
2 Borderland Marauder
Runeclaw Bear
3 Netcaster Spider
2 Krenko's Enforcer
Juggernaut
2 Living Totem
Charging Rhino
2 Siege Wurm

Gather Courage
Crowd's Favor
Lightning Strike
Inferno Fist
Chandra, Pyromaster
Stoke the Flames
Blastfire Bolt

Relevant Sideboard:
Reclamation Sage
Torch Fiend
Might Makes Right
Paragon of Fierce Defiance
2 Blastfire Bolt
Ranger's Guile
Naturalize

Took second, losing only to a pretty nutty G/B deck that opened Soul of Zendikar. Didn't help that I was color-screwed all game 2 after finding the Reclamation Sage that I boarded in against his Caustic Tar (which, if I had a green source, would've bagged me a Haunted Plate Mail).
Best moment of the draft: actually using Chandra's ultimate. In previous matches, I was mostly just using her 0. But I saw an opening and went for it. "Big money, no whammies! Ohh... triple Lightning Strike your face for the last 7 damage."
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 Jul 2014, 14:47

Did an M15 draft last night. Only lost one match. And both games were very close in that match. His deck just gave him more juice than mine did really (plus, the flood was real both games). So overall had a pretty good time.

Ended up drafting Izzet burn+creatures. Surprisingly, most of my power came from the blue cards. I barely had any real red creatures. Just a lot of burn. I drafted two Aggressive Minings. One was first pick cause I figured I'd try it. The second was eighth pick as it was opened by the person next to me and wheeled the table. I figured 'might as well try this plan.' Then I didn't use either of them. Might have been good for me though given how many times I got flooded.

Also found a good use for Wall of Fire. Turns out, it stops aggro dead. I got that out turn 3, and the super aggressive deck I played against couldn't get through anymore. It might not have the same huge butt and good ability as Wall of Frost, but being able to pump it is relevant when your opponent is putting down a bunch of one or two toughness creatures.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 19 Jul 2014, 16:07

Drafted last night. Green red. Felt good about the deck.

two kird chieftains, a lightning strike, a cone of flame. Decent selection of 2's and 3's and some fatty top end. Lots of red creatures and the red paragon.

Deck only went 1-2, which I was disappointed about but I felt like I was largely outclassed. First opponent had a nut token deck, multiple raise the alarm and triplicate spirits with two sanctified charges.

Second opponent had Ajani.

The excess of tokens certainly makes even well sized creatures lose a lot of weight. Opponents were frequently unconcerned with 5/5 and 6/4 creatures I was throwing at them so long as they didn't have trample. The chieftains helped but it's still a lot of mana to have to dump just to push through some damage.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 19 Jul 2014, 21:41

Ooooh had my opponent snap concede in the first turn by only:

Forest, Fyndhorn Elves, Mox Sapphire.

Dirty. :D
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 20 Jul 2014, 16:36

My most competitive draft to date, I nearly won a round!
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 20 Jul 2014, 18:44

Hmm... I would've run the Advocate over the Smelt. It's at least a reasonable dude, even without the bonus value from having beasts.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 20 Jul 2014, 19:28

Diplomats are good as well to force advantageous board states and to pave the way for attacks.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 20 Jul 2014, 21:22

I used the Advocate in a couple rounds. Not sure why it's out in the picture though. Maybe because I used it for the first round? I didn't even think of the Diplomats though. Ah well, this is what the New Player points are for, eh?
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 25 Jul 2014, 05:06

So, I'm 2 for 2 with crushing M15 FNM drafts... yet to drop a match in this format (4-0 last week, 3-0 tonight). Both with blue-red tempo decks, and both facing the mirror match in the finals. This deck is just disgustingly good... I can see it being the overdrafted archetype that everyone wants to be in, in a few weeks... but for now, when I can get all the Peels from Reality that I could ever want... I'm in a happy place.

Here's my deck... it had some powerful rares, but most of the games were won off generally annoying my opponent to death with bounce and removal, and preventing them from ever having blockers.

Overly detailed self-congratulatory nonsense - Click to Expand
Highlight of the day: R1G1, I'm manascrewed, stuck on 3 lands. Been holding my opponent off for a bit with a couple of 3 drops and some Peels, but I've run out of gas and just started having to discard to hand size. My opponent meanwhile is on 7 mana and drops Ajani. I manage to play my 4th land, Into the Void both their guys (who were starting to get scary), attack Ajani down to 2... they tick him up to 3, then I play my 5th land, play Burning Anger on my 3/2, kill Ajani. Then proceed to tear apart my opponent's board with the Anger, and they proceed to draw nothing relevant for the rest of the game and I eventually win with 2 life left. (To be fair, my opponent was pretty new to the game, and I had to explain to them how Planeswalkers worked, so they didn't exactly play optimally... but still, I was so incredibly not favoured to win from that spot...)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 25 Jul 2014, 15:32

So, I thought I'd try my hand at a Competitive MtGO pre-release prior to the LRR Fan Prerelease. This was my pool and what I ended up building:

I went 3-1, losing to a pretty nutty W/B deck in round 3. I think I could've gotten to game 3 of that match had I not attacked my T2 Generator Servant into Raise the Alarm, since I had my Soul of Zendikar in my opening hand and was definitely drawing the land to cast it. That or drawing the Back to Nature I boarded in against him. (He was packing Stab Would, Spectra Ward, and Marked by Honor... could not say no to an instant "Kill all of that BS".)

Replay was up here. My matches were way faster than the average, it seemed.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 26 Jul 2014, 13:15

Played an M15 New Player phantom draft earlier today, to get me into the mindset for the Fan Sealed event later today.

Deck image:

P1P1 was Soul of Zendikar, P2P2 Garruk, Apex Predator, and P3P1 the second Garruk. I'd initially been looking at a green red deck, but the first Garruk convinced me to change my mind. The second was, I suppose, both a reward and a continuation of an incredible luck streak that started yesterday (opening half a booster box that my girlfriend bought, I opened five mythics including three planeswalkers).

Round one went really fast, with my opponent just not being able to stand up to a steady deployment of creatures. I'm currently awaiting round 2, as my opponents are now pretty close to time, I think. I'll update with results in a bit.

Edit to add:
Lost the second round in three games to a black/blue controlly deck. Plenty of bounce, a few Frost Lynx, and a Chasm Skulker that destroyed me in game two. Game two and three I was forced to mulligan, down to five in game two and six in game three. Deck taunted me in game three by giving me a no-land hand that contained both my Garruks, which was the only time I saw either of them in the second round.

So, went 1-1 and got 3 M15 packs. Now to decide whether to open them, or keep them for a potential draft later on...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jul 2014, 02:24

So... I just did this in a new player draft:

Which lead to a turn five this...

Also, I Grindclock'd someone out. Cause I'm filthy.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 27 Jul 2014, 02:42

Atifexe wrote:So, went 1-1 and got 3 M15 packs. Now to decide whether to open them, or keep them for a potential draft later on...

Don't open, save for drafts somewhere down the line.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jul 2014, 03:12

Frankly, just opening packs in MTGO is one of the biggest wastes.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 27 Jul 2014, 07:32

I'm just thinking that I can't afford any tickets right now, so opening them might give me the tickets necessary to play in a draft. I have enough New Player Points remaining to guarantee myself another draft set even if I lose every match, since just entering an event is enough to get you a pack right now.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jul 2014, 14:02

The new player drafts don't give full boosters. They give five-card boosters like you might find in a store. So I don't think you can use them for drafting. If you open the packs (assuming they're full packs and not 5-card packs), then you'd pretty much have to pull Nissa to get enough to actually do a draft.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 27 Jul 2014, 14:51

Don't they give a whole pack for 1st?

Also, you've all just reminded me I made a second account a while ago, which will have been given the 35 phantom points, etc for the prerelease, so I can play in another one for free :D
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jul 2014, 15:17

Not anymore. That was changed recently. The new player drafts also don't cost a ticket anymore, but cost double the new player points.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 27 Jul 2014, 17:40

Well, in that case, there's really no reason to hang onto the boosters. They don't work in draft formats, after all.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”