1-18-08

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

1-18-08

Postby Tensen01 » 10 Jul 2007, 10:44

For those who saw the Transformers Movie, here's the trailer to new movie "1-18-08"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount ... large.html

I cannot wait....

The only clue as to what it might be is a single line "I Saw it, it's a lion, it's huge!"
Patch

Postby Patch » 10 Jul 2007, 11:16

A lion, eh?

:D
One Bot to rule them all,
And in the darkness lag them...
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 12:09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Welcome to a viral marketing campaign.

*sigh*
I can't think of a signature.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 10 Jul 2007, 13:34

What

The

Fuck

?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jul 2007, 13:42

CyberTractor wrote:Welcome to a viral marketing campaign.

Viral marketing implies some sort of chicanery on their part.
While they are doing viral marketing as well, this is just a trailer. Straight up, they're not hiding it.

Also, it looks cool.
CHO

Postby CHO » 10 Jul 2007, 13:52

I liked the trailer. Audience reactinos were amusing. :D

"Blair Witch style" mixed with visual FX and giant monsters strikes me as something that could be quite cool.
Sex hat keine Macht!
Sex hat keine Macht!
Du blutest nicht genug für mich
Küss mich noch ein letztes Mal

-Sex Hat Keine Macht by Oomph!
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 10 Jul 2007, 14:00

i dont like the home videos part.
i dont know what's happening anymore
AdmiralBarikir

Postby AdmiralBarikir » 10 Jul 2007, 14:04

Patch wrote:A lion, eh? *lolsy pic*

More than a lion...

It looks like a lion with four 120mm Cannons, 3 88mm mortars on its back, 16 .50 Cal machine gun ports on its underside, 40mm Anti-aircraft artillery for eyes, balls of Crucible Steel, cupholders and a sunroof.
Allen! wrote:I ????'d at the Admiral's signature.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Re: 1-18-08

Postby Misty » 10 Jul 2007, 14:08

Tensen01 wrote:The only clue as to what it might be is a single line "I Saw it, it's a lion, it's huge!"

The line is "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge!", actually... the trailer was all over Youtube for a while there and someone did a full analysis on it (a bit anal on their part, but whatever)

When I first saw the trailer it scared the hell out of me cause the crappy visual quality version I saw was really dark, and I was just WTF'ing the entire time. I saw it again right before Transformers, and it still creeped me out a bit cause I could see it correctly (the Statue of Liberty head!!), but I was more impressed than scared that time.

This had better be a damn good movie for all the hype that's surrounding it, that's for sure x3
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex

Postby Tensen01 » 10 Jul 2007, 14:46

See I've listened to it and to me it sounds like "A Lion" I've tried to hear it as "Alive" but I hear three syllables and no V sound... I've listened to it many many times.

But oh well :)

I'm looking forward to it.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 14:48

It definitely says "It's alive!"
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 10 Jul 2007, 14:50

Nice, I've been looking forward to a Voltron movie, like, forever.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 14:55

It would be cool if it was Voltron.

I really do not think that it is a Godzilla movie since there has been no official announcement of a new one (and I don't think Hollywood would risk another one with the epic failure of the latest one).
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex

Postby Tensen01 » 10 Jul 2007, 14:58

Well, Voltron is already in the works, by a completely different studio.

Okay, not that I listen to it again I hear "Alive" grrrrrrrrr
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 10 Jul 2007, 16:02

Clearly I've missed something because I don't get it.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 16:37

There's a link in the first post.

Nobody knows what movie it is for because it's a secret project that Abrams has kept under wraps.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 10 Jul 2007, 16:52

lol at the Voltron and Godzilla stuff.

Though according to the wiki on the movie, another possible choice is, I shit you not, Cthulu.

As for the "It's alive" line, i think It would have been funnier if people just ran with it thinking that the line was "It's A Lion".

"Narnia 7: Aslan Gone Evil... 1-18-08"
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

erm

Postby Wraith » 10 Jul 2007, 17:00

I don't buy for a second that the Ethan Haas campaign is not related. I did a wikipedia search for Ethan Haas and got a link to a fictional show called Classmates. I then went to tv.com and looked up classmates. There are videos there, and the actor who plays Ethan Haas (Jason Ritter), was the same guy who appeared in that trailer as Rob.

That seems like a pretty powerful coincidence.

Edit: a Voltron movie could work, as the monster could be a Ro-Beast, but to have it on present-day earth would be a HUGE deviation. My guess would be the rumored Cthulu movie. Things to consider:

1. Cthulu revolved around journals and prophecies. This would fit in with the "Ethan was right" campaign. Ethan, perhaps, was raving about the coming of Cthulu, similar to the artists in COC.

2. COC prominently features a cult determined to raise Cthulu, which could be the Mezin, who are trying to silence and discredit van so that he can't stop them.

I dunno, I always thought the COC was a grossly over-rated story; I don't get at all why people think it so scary.

What kind of terrifying, unstopable God can be knocked out by ramming a scooner into him?
Last edited by Wraith on 10 Jul 2007, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
-Wraith
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 17:06

If the game "Ethan Haas Was Right" has anything to do about it, we'll get more details on August 1st.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 10 Jul 2007, 18:33

THEORY!

Cloverlief will be a retelling of Call of Cthulu, only set in modern times. In the original COC, the author finds out about Cthulu through journals left behind by his great grandfather. What if, in the new version, as Hollywood tend to do, they've made a few changes, and in the new version, this guy, Van Mantra, finds out about Cthulu through the rightings of Ethan Haas, but unlike in COC, where Cthulu is anti-climactically rebuffed by a frikin scooner, Haas must gather a group to help him stop the Mezin from raising him?

Burried in the source code of Ethan Haas was right was this:

"war came, no longer from the elemental nor from the star's rain of fire. The world was again remade, and the glow was as the coming of the sun upon the Earth. The children of the gods were again too few, scattered and divided and among them walked the ancients and those whose thoughts were not as to the towers and the marvels, but to the End and the destruction of the Earth and to the fires from which nothing could escape."

Sounds pretty lovecraft-ian tome.
-Wraith
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 10 Jul 2007, 18:37

Sounds plausible.

We'll definitely have to bump this thread on August 1st, either supporting the idea or (unfortunately for closure's sake) turning it down.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Re: erm

Postby tak197 » 10 Jul 2007, 20:19

Wraith wrote:I don't buy for a second that the Ethan Haas campaign is not related. I did a wikipedia search for Ethan Haas and got a link to a fictional show called Classmates. I then went to tv.com and looked up classmates. There are videos there, and the actor who plays Ethan Haas (Jason Ritter), was the same guy who appeared in that trailer as Rob.

The show is called "The CLASS" and it is funny as hell.

The guy who played Rob is not Jason Ritter, as he isn't listed on the Wiki for it yet. HOWEVER, Lizzy Kaplan, one of the co-stars from The Class, IS slated as one of the main characters.

Also, EthanHasWasRight.com is in reference to an online game in which the main characters band together to prevent/survive the apocalypse in the near future.

wikipedia wrote:Ethan HAAS is not connected to "01-18-08(Codename Cloverfield)," JJ Abrams himself confirms.

In the end, be it Cthulu, EHWR.com, or a huge ass lion, this movie looks insane, and quite frightening.
Wraith

Re: erm

Postby Wraith » 10 Jul 2007, 20:56

tak197 wrote:
Wraith wrote:I don't buy for a second that the Ethan Haas campaign is not related. I did a wikipedia search for Ethan Haas and got a link to a fictional show called Classmates. I then went to tv.com and looked up classmates. There are videos there, and the actor who plays Ethan Haas (Jason Ritter), was the same guy who appeared in that trailer as Rob.

The show is called "The CLASS" and it is funny as hell.

The guy who played Rob is not Jason Ritter, as he isn't listed on the Wiki for it yet. HOWEVER, Lizzy Kaplan, one of the co-stars from The Class, IS slated as one of the main characters.

Also, EthanHasWasRight.com is in reference to an online game in which the main characters band together to prevent/survive the apocalypse in the near future.

wikipedia wrote:Ethan HAAS is not connected to "01-18-08(Codename Cloverfield)," JJ Abrams himself confirms.

In the end, be it Cthulu, EHWR.com, or a huge ass lion, this movie looks insane, and quite frightening.

1. The small amount of video they made for "The Class" was cornball to the point of being obviously fake.

2. ethanhaaswasright.com is not a reference to an online game about the apocalypse, it IS an online game about the apocalypse. And, again, I don't buy for a second that it's not connected to Cloverlief. The Class connection is too damning.

As for the wiki entry not mentioning Jason Ritter being in the Trailer, have you considered that perhaps I'm the first to make the connection? Do YOU think played Rob in that trailer? Because he looked an awful lot like Jason Ritter to me.
-Wraith
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 Jul 2007, 21:12

Either way, this sounds pretty awesome.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 10 Jul 2007, 21:39

I think though that with this much hype, a ton of people are gonna make assumptions and speculations.

First of all, after some research, I dug up that the character of Rob is played by Mike Vogel. According to his website though, it has only been released that he is in the movie, and there is a good possibility of him playing Rob.

As for The Class, look on CBS's "Intertube" video player at http://www.cbs.com, and look for The Class under full episodes and comedies. I have seen a few episodes, and as cornball as it may have seemed, I assure you that I saw it on TV last fall and also watched episodes online.

Finally as for the website, I admit my faux pas, it is a website for a game. I just played it through and on August 1st, I plan on seeing what is up.

Return to “General Discussion”