The Pair

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: NEW VIDEO - The Pair

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Jul 2014, 19:59

Graham wrote:Fun fact, I've known Monty since high school. We were in musicals together.

I knew the name looked familiar.

A good but weird video this week.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Blackie62
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2 or Desert Bus 3

Re: The Pair

Postby Blackie62 » 20 Jul 2014, 23:45

Yep, that was one Kathleen ass (pun intended) sketch.
No matter what I say there is a 40% percent chance I'm not being serious, and if I sound like I'm not then I probably am.
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 21 Jul 2014, 02:02

Can we have more Missie in LRR videos please?
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Jul 2014, 02:46

Can't Wear Hats wrote:I agree with one of the YouTube comments, this is probably Kathleen's best performance to date. I could just feel the awkwardness radiating from the screen! Something of note is that, and forgive me for typecasting, Missie and Kathleen's roles seemed reversed from what you might expect from previous LRR videos, but they both nailed it and were hilarious. An excellent job all round!

This is the thing I wanted to elaborate on further from my comment on the YouTube page (btw, I'm so sorry that my comment flared out into a strange debate about the Bechdel Test). I love how Kathleen portrayed the less confident character and Missy was the uber-confident and free-spirited one. The former goes against Kathleen's natural personality and it was so great to see her completely embody that character. I think it also makes total and complete sense that the really hot dude is someone we've never seen before in LRR canon because (and let me be clear that I totally love all of the guys who have ever been in LRR vids) having someone more conventionally attractive show up for the last bits of the sketch amped up the risk for failure for both of the characters and let them shine even more.

Trisha Lynn
...I use the Test on individual comic strips, too...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
kade_zero
First Video: The LoadingReadyRap

Postby kade_zero » 21 Jul 2014, 03:36

I loved Kathleen’s line,
“Oh God; you didn’t see us smelling them did you?”.
That really made me laugh.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 21 Jul 2014, 04:19

Just because I also read Kathleen's doubts on twitter, I'll join the chorus of people praising her writing and acting. The former is not surprising, the latter... neither, but it isn't usual either.

Now taking bets on the number of colorful underwear related subscribers on tonights CP+.
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 21 Jul 2014, 06:59

Hah, that neuroticism is so painfully familiar to me. Missy's character was confident and slightly deranged, but it was the intense anxiety from Kathleen that made the sketch.

Also not sure why people think neuroticism is out of character for Kathleen...don't want to pretend to be an expert, but that...seems like a trait she has.

Edit: watched it a second time, which rarely happens. This is a really good LRR video, and interestingly, despite Kathleen's worries, it's definitely the three actors that make it. (Three...actpeople? actors and actresses? I don't even know. Is actors considered to have a gender-neutral definition?)

Anyways, it's good shit.
Last edited by deathjavu on 21 Jul 2014, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 21 Jul 2014, 07:54

Missie was excellent in this, just excellent.

Also, Monty Bjornsson has to be one of the coolest names I've heard in a while.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 21 Jul 2014, 09:32

deathjavu wrote:Also not sure why people think neuroticism is out of character for Kathleen...don't want to pretend to be an expert, but that...seems like a trait she has.

It's not so much that it's "out of character", it's just that we haven't seen that side of Kathleen emphasised so heavily in one video, certainly not recently. At least, that was my line of thinking.

Maybe it stands out to me since Missie's role is perhaps more of a "typical" character that Kathleen would play, I dunno. The bottom line is both Missie and Kathleen did an excellent job :D
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 21 Jul 2014, 10:25

FYI, I really do have some anxiety problems. But I don't really advertise them (I'm sure many people with them don't) and they don't often come up when developing characters.

I'm not sure I agree that this video doesn't pass the Bechdel test. You can read my thoughts on full thoughts Twitter, but these girls don't care about the theoretical man's feelings. He is totally objectified to them. Amy wants to know what he can do FOR her (opening up a whole new world of colourful underpants party access) and Laura (the unnamed neurotic one) just wants to know if she's going to get foot herpes or something weird. The guy is really only just a MacGuffin. An attractive, objectified MacGuffin.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jul 2014, 10:46

As someone in the YouTube comments put it, I consider the Bechdel Test a good writing tool, and an interesting metric, but too imperfect to flat judge something on. I point simply to that fact this sketch ostensibly "fails" it, in its strictest sense. Still, I like how this sketch plays out from that perspective.

Not that any of this was "the point" of the sketch either... Kathleen's script was just really funny. :D
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 21 Jul 2014, 11:09

Missie has been great in the three videos I've seen her in(this one, Doctors Hate Her, and that one Friday Nights where she has to say "Bonescythe Sliver").

Keep bringing her back!
Nyctef
First Video: ArMEGAdon

Postby Nyctef » 21 Jul 2014, 12:02

Master Gunner wrote:Missie absolutely killed it in this video, and Kathleen's freakout was extremely adorable.

Another +1 for Kathleen's amazing acting in this one. Missie egging her on was also awesome. I was laughing the whole way through :D
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Jul 2014, 12:10

Holy SHIT.

On the subject of britches, I had to go get some dry ones from laughing so hard at this!

I still have tears welling up in the corners of my eyes after it's all over (had to watch it TWICE because I wasn't coherent enough to catch all the fine aspects of the dialogue).

Kathleen. Sweet creamery butter - YOU WRITE AMAZINGLY! I...well, you took an unlikely, yet seemingly believable circumstance of little real import, and RAN WITH IT. You didn't just score a touchdown from your own goal line, you ran out of the stadium, across town, into the baseball park, and ran a home-freaking run with it too! :lol:

Laura? Yeah - no matter how self-confident you are, you can identify with her. And you nailed that performance.

Amy? Jesu Christus...Missie blew me away with that - tell me she's doing similarly artistic work elsewhere - MORE PEOPLE DESERVE TO BE AS ENTERTAINED AS THIS. :mrgreen:
"...you don't even know! Yeaaaaaaaaah" THAT! That delivery!@! Image

And Monty? Oh, how I WISH I looked like him! To be that tall, that young...to be able to pull off the forelock/pompadour like that...and that voice. Image
But yeah, Mr. B did great with the little touches he had to add a certain gleam to this gilded artwork! Backing away in fear of turning his back on 'these two weirdos'. And that stinger - his emotion. :lol:

The video DOES leave me wondering who ('in-universe') really IS the owner of that 'colourful sartorial expression'...not sure if that uncertainty is a bad thing, though. :)

Yeah, a great video - thank you so much for it! :D
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jul 2014, 12:23

Yeah, that ambiguous ending... Are they his and he leaves them in the laundry room on purpose? Or did he just want to get rid of them and get his detergent? Who can say?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Santhenar
First Video: Unskippable maybe?

Postby Santhenar » 21 Jul 2014, 13:18

This episode really had me smiling, would love to see more situations with these two characters in the future.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jul 2014, 13:27

Judging a video based on the Bechdel test is about as useful as judging a video based on the diversity of shirt colors. It's a great talking point, especially when discussing the wider industry, but when applied just to an isolated piece, it loses almost all meaning. After all, Debbie Does Dallas ostensibly passes the Bechdel Test, while Shawshank Redemption fails it.

So yes this video fails the test, but so would a scene with a doctor and a nurse discussing the condition of a male patient. The "test" merely states that the topic of conversation not be about "a man".
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Jul 2014, 13:43

Master Gunner wrote:Judging a video based on the Bechdel test is about as useful as judging a video based on the diversity of shirt colors.

If that's true, then "Somebody Has to Change" is THE BEST VIDEO EVER. (And it kinda is.)

It's a great talking point, especially when discussing the wider industry, but when applied just to an isolated piece, it loses almost all meaning. After all, Debbie Does Dallas ostensibly passes the Bechdel Test, while Shawshank Redemption fails it.

So yes this video fails the test, but so would a scene with a doctor and a nurse discussing the condition of a male patient. The "test" merely states that the topic of conversation not be about "a man".

If I could put on my English major chapeau and shrug on my tweed jacket, using an extended analysis of the video in question, it actually does indeed pass the test of not being a conversation about "a man." What the anxious character of "Laura" and the adventurous character of "Amy" are talking about society and all of its attendant anxieties. Laura's fear of touching a person's biological waste as secreted onto a piece of undergarments is analogous to society's fear of chaos while Amy's wish to become familiar with someone whose sartorial choice of undergarments extends beyond traditional colors is analogous to her embrace of that very chaos. At the heart of this conflict between two co-inhabitants of the same dwelling is a conflict of the inner and outer selves, the id and the ego to borrow Jung's phrasing. And so, the "Test" is indeed passed because what they're talking about is not a "man" but themselves.

Trisha Lynn
...blowing soap bubbles out of my pipe...
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 21 Jul 2014, 16:44

I really, really loved this sketch. This may be in my top 5 LRR sketches of all time.

There were so many clever lines, so many awesome Missie faces... and handsome Monty's backout was excellent.

Bravo!

(A side note: the point of the Bechdel test is not that it's to be used to determine if a film is good or not. Plenty of good films fail it. Some terrible films pass it. The point of the Bechdel test is to underscore how MANY films fail it. The quantity of failure among media at large is the point, not necessarily that any particular film passing/failing it is a measure of that film's quality.)
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 21 Jul 2014, 18:39

The line about all of her clothes being black makes me wonder if Kathleen wrote Missie's character for herself and latter swapped them.
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 21 Jul 2014, 18:45

I really enjoyed this episode. It's somewhat rare to have an lrr sketch that simply relies on the comedic chops of two actors taking a normal premise to absurd extremes (rather than an absurd starting premise or multiple characters interacting with one like with the pokemon rehab facility or the gatekeeper sketches respectively). I like it because it felt grounded in truth. I could easily see myself stepping in a guy's underwear like that and internally freaking out a bit. The comedy in the small internal 'ick' I might give being taken to extremes externally by Kathleen's character is great. So is Missy's response to everything.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 21 Jul 2014, 19:23

Not that the Bechdel test, such as it is, isn't useful in the bigger picture, but I don't see how the video fails it. Amy and Laura talk about several things other than our unnamed man: The difficulty of helping a friend in need when you're busy sitting down, the extent of grossness involved in touching maybe-dirty underwear, the magical world inhabited by colorful-underwear people and how they might get there and - although only indirectly - the extent to which their personalities may make people avoid them. Monty's character is a part of their conversation, sure, but hardly the exclusive or even dominating topic.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Jul 2014, 20:24

Amake wrote:Not that the Bechdel test, such as it is, isn't useful in the bigger picture, but I don't see how the video fails it.

My initial interpretation is that what set off Laura's initial freakout was knowing that it was a dude's possibly dirty underwear that was skeeving her out about the laundry room. Whether or not Laura would have felt the same way if it was a pair of colorful female underwear is a question best answered by Kathleen as the writer. If Laura was the kind of person who's leery of touching anyone's dirty underwear, that's a completely different characteristic than if she was just afraid of touching a man's dirty underwear.

Same deal for Amy. If she were the kind of person for whom meeting anyone who wore colorful underwear would be the highlight of her life and take it into an entirely new direction, it would be a different characteristic than if she met a dude who wasn't afraid to rock the colorful underwear.

By making the underwear specifically a pair of men's underwear (to quote Amy: "...some dude you don't even know!" @ 1:03-ish), they are each projecting the image of the man who left them in the laundry room and he is foremost in their thoughts as they talk about the underwear. The rest of the dialogue explores their very unique and fleshed out personalities, but only in relation to this unknown dude.

Somewhat related to this thought, earlier today Kathleen wrote via Twitter:

I wanted to write a video with pretty common trope and subvert it so women were the main characters. We don't see that enough.

Here's the interesting part, the part where I think this sketch inverts the trope and the Test. After "Attractive Guy" comes into the room and after he leaves, based solely on the personalities of the women, not once did I think that Amy's and Laura's reactions would have been any different had an attractive woman come into the room. Well, maybe Amy's reaction would have changed and perhaps she would have been more sad to not know any woman who rocks colorful guy's underwear. But Laura would have been just as mortified to think that some unknown woman caught her smelling the underwear, again, perhaps worse because now this unknown woman may have a wrong impression of Laura's sexuality.

(Hmm, gonna have to rethink that last bit...)

Anyway, but yeah. Because they specifically refer to the unknown person as a male, it doesn't pass the Test. But then again, because the person in question is a dude, it makes the sketch all the more interesting.

Trisha Lynn
...do I look good in tweed...?

P.S. I also just realized I argued both for and against this video passing the Test, once in a tongue-in-cheek way and once in a real way. (And yet, I kinda like my tongue-in-cheek critique and think it's totally valid.)
Last edited by Trisha Lynn on 22 Jul 2014, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
uberfail
First Video: Politically Minded

Postby uberfail » 21 Jul 2014, 22:48

My God! Graham is looking good ;)
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 22 Jul 2014, 09:13

I think I see what you mean, Trisha. We were probably supposed to assume a masculine gender identity of the underpants owner, and if you do the conversation can be seen as very dude-centric. I was probably the only one who didn't think about that. >_>
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”