Goofiest Game of Magic You've Ever Played

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Goofiest Game of Magic You've Ever Played

Postby Arakasi » 28 Jun 2014, 10:55

I think it'll be hard to top this, in standard anyway.

He had two Seraph of the Swords on the field, meaning I couldn't hit in with my Child of Night which got ridiculously boosted by Sunbond (which gives a +1/+1 counter for every life you gain in a turn. I also had an Ephara's Radiance attached to a Nyx-Fleece, allowing me to get the 4 life per turn I needed to get two 4/4 angels from my Angelic Accords, while also pumping the Child.
On his side, he had like 21 2/2 cats from his Ajani and three things which could stump me in the air.

Knowing I'd eventually just get him in the air with my angel token generators, he swung in with his 20 cats.

This allowed me to gain some life by blocking with my Child, which boosted my lifetotal and my Child even further to 55 +1/+1 counters,a and I blocked with several angels.

At this point I felt confident swinging in, and swung in with my child and all my angels winning me the game.

Then I won the goofiest game I've ever played with a life-total of 104, but I lost the war. I have literally no idea how anyone could do this with paper magic.

So, what's the goofiest game of Magic you've ever played?

Edit: Tried to resize images using BBCode but it didn't work, so I just left the links in instead.
Last edited by Arakasi on 28 Jun 2014, 19:40, edited 3 times in total.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Goofiest Game of Magic You've Ever Played

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Jun 2014, 11:11

If images are too big, I always just put them in a collapse tag.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 28 Jun 2014, 19:40

AdmiralMemo wrote:If images are too big, I always just put them in a collapse tag.

Good idea, thanks Memo.
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 28 Jun 2014, 20:11

Witnessed a game during Scars Block/Innistrad standard between French Rites and Solar Flare, the Solar Flare player was up about 106 life to 10. Rites got out Grislebrand, was able to get massive card advantage, and beat the Solar Flare player after the game went to time.

Not quite as ridiculous as a huge Child of Night, but it was a lot more entertaining than getting beaten by Delver again.
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 28 Jun 2014, 20:26

Yeah I find it kind of ironic that my Child of Night got massively swole with a Sunbond.
Must be some kind of reverse vampire.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Jun 2014, 05:29

I beat an opponent who ultimated the new ajani twice by having two Grim Guardians two and Servant of Tymaretand and getting my Phenax, God of Deception down like turn 20.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 29 Jun 2014, 09:09

I think the goofiest magic game was a multiplayer legacy game I played at university. There was a guy there who'd been collecting for far too long and had far too many decks, so would bring a dozen or so along each week to hand out and the rest of us to play with.

This particular week we decided to go full goof and pit a bunch of turn 3 win decks against each other, see who could fire off their ludicrous combo first. As I recall, the 4 decks we were using were The Cheese Stands Alone, Dragonstorm, Goblin Charbelcher and High Tide. Its been a couple of years since we played that game, and I've no idea what half of what went into each deck was, but it was some of the most ludicrously hilarious magic I've probably ever had the joy of experiencing.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 29 Jun 2014, 21:07

I feel like Belcher always wins that race, if only because Belcher should always go off on turn 1 or 2. Unless, of course, High Tide has a Force of Will. Then Belcher loses.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 30 Jun 2014, 16:00

Actually, it was remarkably balanced, I think each deck won at least once, and as we were cycling the decks between us, I actually managed to win a couple of games, once with Cheese and once with Dragons.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 30 Jun 2014, 20:12

Belcher (which I sort-of play (I have 1-Land a and No-Land versions proxied)), goes off on turn 1 or 2 about 60% of the time, and loses the rest. Force of Will is very hard, but can be played around if you're careful (if they counter too early a spell, you can try again another turn. If they wait too long, you can use Empty the Warrens as your payload to push through (storm is hard to counter)).
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Ricardo Anderson
First Video: Hero's Path - The Calling

Postby Ricardo Anderson » 09 Jul 2014, 14:20

Well, this was a casual game with 2 modern decks.
One golgary and one artifacts and white (that I was playing with).
The game, somehow got to this stupid stand still,
On my side I had 4 Courier Hawks, my opponent on the other hand had 4 Walls of Tanglecord.
Whenever we tryed to do something besides attacking or blocking (in witch nothing would obviously happen) the other would have an adequate response.
We were at a standstill for like 8 turns, until he won with a Death right Shaman.
At the time, when the game ended, we proceeded to laugh heavily, and my friend even made an illustration of the hawk and the wall in battle (witch unfortunately I can not find, otherwise would post it).
Happy times and boring games. :-)
Stand Sure
Anderson Clan
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 10 Jul 2014, 18:55

Well, there was a Conspiracy game recently where we ended up voting "grace" on Magister of Worth. This ended with us making a physical stack of cards to determine how things should resolve. Been a LOOOONG time since I've had anything that goofy.

Hopefully the upcoming 2HG Conspiracy draft I'm trying to put together tops it though.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 Jul 2014, 14:03

We had so much fun with a resolved Knowledge Pool on Saturday. We had to physically represent the stack at nearly all times because I was playing Counterspell 2! (You're still not doing that.), and the other corner of the table was playing Storm, and the Pool had been filled up with hard counters and stifle effects. At one point, I had Force of Will, Pact of Negation, and Cryptic Command in the pool. It was nuts.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 13 Jul 2014, 23:38

Four-player Commander game, girlfriend had an active Nekusar, the Mindrazer in play, along with Spiteful Visions. We've all been taking some damage for a bit - us more than her, obviously - but for some reason, no one could get rid of Nekusar or Spiteful Visions. Even with the increased drawing.

She then proceeds to Prosperity for 7, giving me 12 cards in my hand, then Fork a Winds of Change. Granted, she took 31. She lived through it, though. Everyone else, however, took 62, right to the face. I guess she didn't NEED to Fork it. I think she just did it because she could.

Then again, I should throw up her decklist for her 60-land Child of Alara EDH deck. Every match against that thing is insane.
Credit to Foxmar
Ricardo Anderson

Postby Ricardo Anderson » 22 Jul 2014, 06:30

Argh, Nekusar is a pain in the butt.
Stand Sure
Anderson Clan
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 22 Jul 2014, 16:18

It's so bad. Because you're raming into cards. You're drawing answers to him, but you never play them. They just never...hit...the table. It's so demoralizing.

What's more demoralizing is her new Zedruu EDH deck. It's not based off of Zedruu, that's just a red herring and color enabler. I played against it with four of my Commander decks I have, and I only beat it once. THREE Times, that deck went infinite on me: Once with Coalhauler Swine/Pariah/Darksteel Plate combo - I thought I'd be safe, until she tapped her own Mana Vault - once with Knacksaw Clique equipped with Paradise Mantle and Training Grounds on the table - apparently, that one just came to her - and finally, once with Restoration Angel and Kiki-Jiki. Her Zedruu deck has 20 independent infinite engines.
Credit to Foxmar
Ricardo Anderson

Postby Ricardo Anderson » 23 Jul 2014, 00:52

That's, Wow. 20 independent infinite engines sounds like trouble.
Well, my girlfriend just made a EDH with Progenitus as her commander, and that deck is insane. ive played four times against it and also just won once. :-)
Stand Sure
Anderson Clan
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 23 Jul 2014, 05:37

Yeah. There's a Commander tournament at our FLGS this weekend. $5 buy-in and the prize is a booster box of M15. If she's not running it in favor of her Child of Alara deck, I'm taking it and running it myself.
Credit to Foxmar
Ricardo Anderson

Postby Ricardo Anderson » 23 Jul 2014, 06:00

Muahahaha!
So much evil Mister WickedBoy6 (66?).
But yes, you must to that!
For the greater booster box of M15 Good!
:-)
Stand Sure
Anderson Clan
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 23 Jul 2014, 15:42

That's my intention. There's a Blue Mage there that runs an Azami, Lady of Scrolls deck that essentially has one flavor: Mind over Matter Azami - or any Wizard - to run through the entire deck until hit Laboratory Maniac, drop, mill rest of deck, win. Problem is, since he's blue, his deck goes off way too quick for my liking. Even my Bosh deck - which can get nutty - can't really stop him. So, the plan is, if she uses her Zedruu deck, I might run Bosh or Slivers, just because they're pretty good, but also bonkers fun. If she uses Child of Alara, I'm taking Zedruu, but honestly, she'd be a fool NOT to play Zedruu.
Credit to Foxmar
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 26 Jul 2014, 07:19

I think I can now quit Magic forever.
JamesTheNecroMage
First Video: LRRCast

Postby JamesTheNecroMage » 26 Jul 2014, 10:12

Arakasi wrote:I think I can now quit Magic forever.

How the heck did that happen?? :O
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 26 Jul 2014, 10:27

JamesTheNecroMage wrote:
Arakasi wrote:I think I can now quit Magic forever.

How the heck did that happen?? :O

Same as in the OP. Sunbond + Child of Night + Indestructibility = exponential madness.
JamesTheNecroMage
First Video: LRRCast

Postby JamesTheNecroMage » 26 Jul 2014, 10:32

AH, I see. I sure hope it was a good game for ya :)
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 27 Jul 2014, 23:06

Well, the tournament didn't go as planned.

It was a 3-round competition, and whoever knocks someone out of the match gets a point. Top 4 points get into the finals for the box. Well, my girlfriend used said Zedruu, the HATE Hearted deck and got 10 points - 3 perfect rounds, and because of some drops between 2 and 3, a bonus point to balance out the fact that there were a couple 5-man pods - And I only got 3 points with my Bosh deck.

First game went wacky with a player playing...I don't remember honestly, a girl playing Omnath, and the guy across from me playing Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts. Since the girl playing Omnath was diagonally, and the guy playing Teysa was across, I saw his threats clearly when he played some nasty Orzhov stuff. I had to Contagion Engine him quickly. Of course, I failed to realize the Green Mage going off suddenly with Primal Surge, putting SO much Green Beef on the table. She actually could've won on her turn with one more mana - I forgot how - but she had to reluctantly attack the Orzhov Mage, clearing his board and putting him at 2. Draw-Go from him, and at the end of his turn, I ended up taking the kill with using Myr Turbine with Purphoros in play. I did some silent math as she was going off, and thanks to Illusionist's Bracers on my Bosh, I was able to do exactly lethal to her, attack the other player, then make one more Myr to deal the final 2 damage to him.

Second game, didn't do as well, as I played against a Sliver player that got mana-flooded, someone who played Sharuum, and the final player playing Maelstrom Wanderer - a deck I've seen go infinite with Zealous Conscripts and Kiki-Jiki. However, he mulled to 3, so he was no danger. After an early Planar Cleansing, and later a "Bust" from Boom/Bust, Sliver Mage could never recover. Sharuum went off after copying my Thopter Assembly, and went in for an attack. Thanks to a Magister Sphinx, I was at 10. He attacked me with lethal, but if I just blocked his Sharuum, I could've lived. Instead, I blocked his stuff, and let the Maelstrom Wanderer guy run me down with his big flyers. And I might've went off that next turn - again, with Purphoros - but it was unlikely, since Sharuum had NINETY LIFE at that point!

Third round, I was paired with my girlfriend, and she just went off in five rounds with her OWN Overzealous/Kiki-Jiki combo.

Sadly, even though the final round went to five players, I was only number six, as the only other player that went 3 points got 2 in my 2nd match, so I guess that meant he was able to go on, and I was out in the cold. She lost to a different Azam i, Lady of Scrolls deck, but they all agreed to split the booster box five ways. The match was for the odd 36th booster of the box. :P

P.S. She pulled Soul of Innistrad and Chain Veil, and there was only one Planeswalker in the entire Box: A Chandra that went to a mutual friend. It wasn't a strong box pool.
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”