The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Jul 2014, 07:29

You forgot the part about bonding over IM Client of choice. Because that's adorable.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2014, 07:31

Fayili wrote:When I was still fairly new here, Chemistring made a thread saying she was giving away some of her creations as they were taking up space and didn't suit her as well as she'd hoped. I claimed one, then posted a picture of myself wearing it (a scarf) when it arrived. IX messaged me saying it looked like the lighting wasn't great in the picture, and maybe he could fiddle around in photoshop to make it look better. Then we started talking.

But then after Lady Hosk left Lord Hosk for John Cusack I dumped IX like a sack of rotten potatoes. I proposed to Lord Hosk immediately, which he accepted and have been happy ever since, he is amazing.

FTFY!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Jul 2014, 07:32

Had dinner with Tapir, Graham, Kathleen, Ashley, James, Kirky_girl, her then boyfriend. Tapir and I kept talking after that and now are good friends.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 22 Jul 2014, 07:59

Master Gunner wrote:You forgot the part about bonding over IM Client of choice. Because that's adorable.

Sadly, neither of us use Pidgin anymore because of computer changes and not needing much more than gchat and an IRC client.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Jul 2014, 15:55

I don't want to flood this thread with updates, but things have been progressing well for me :D. Because of the distance meeting up for the day isn't really practical, so plans are being formed for me to head down to Tacoma for a couple days in the not too distant future. And a couple months ago I would have thought this would all have me overwhelmed with anxiety and nerves, but we've been talking so much and about so many things that I'm really just excited. Twice already this week we've ended up Skyping for hours longer than we'd planned, late into the night talking about all manner of things and just not wanting to stop.

It's all still weird getting used to this, but not in a bad way. I'm just growing more and more optimistic and feeling this connection get stronger with every conversation.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Jul 2014, 15:56

D'awwww.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Jul 2014, 17:10

Woo!

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ricardo Anderson
First Video: Hero's Path - The Calling

Postby Ricardo Anderson » 25 Jul 2014, 17:35

Me and my girlfriend have been living together for 4 years and a half.
We've had our ups and downs, but things are good, sure we do fight a bit, but I think most couples do.
Funny story, when we met, we went out to a disco after going for dinner at a common friends dinner party, and ended up getting pretty drunk.
I dunno how it happened but I ended up screaming something in her ear, and as a response she punched me straight in the stomach.
But then laughed heavily.
I then took a peek at her boobs (an obvious but non rapist peek) and ran away.
One month later we were dating.
:-)
Stand Sure
Anderson Clan
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 25 Jul 2014, 19:50

Ricardo Anderson wrote:Me and my girlfriend have been living together for 4 years and a half.
We've had our ups and downs, but things are good, sure we do fight a bit, but I think most couples do.
Funny story, when we met, we went out to a disco after going for dinner at a common friends dinner party, and ended up getting pretty drunk.
I dunno how it happened but I ended up screaming something in her ear, and as a response she punched me straight in the stomach.
But then laughed heavily.
I then took a peek at her boobs (an obvious but non rapist peek) and ran away.
One month later we were dating.
:-)

Hang on, let me take some notes. Dinner... party... scream... ear... punch... stomach... Got it! I'll give this a try and let you know if it works for me too.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Jul 2014, 00:46

Actually, I've just realised I have a story to contribute here; my cousin's husband admitted during his wedding speech a couple of years ago that they met in a nightclub, he got her number and spent the next few hours spamming her with texts. This led to the unusual situation where the first message he ever received from the future mother of his child was 'Why do you keep texting me, you stalker?'
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 26 Jul 2014, 02:16

Waiting in line to a party, decided that the line was not worth the wait and whilst walking back conversed with a lady about our pessimistic tendencies. After some repeated meet-ups we decided to 'officially' go out as boyfriend and girlfriend, we are nearing our 1st year together actually :)
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 26 Jul 2014, 18:26

I will share how I met my boyfriend. He was actually a student in the calc 2 class of Fall '12 at the school I was (am still kind of) a student-tutor for (student employee, not technically staff of the district). After some talking and chatting I learned his end goal was to teach math, so I recommended him to become a tutor as well. He ended up teaching me how to play Hearts the next January by sitting behind me and explaining stuff to me and I got to shoot the moon my first time playing. A couple months later several of us tutors were supposed to go out bowling but everyone else flaked, and we ended up having sushi and making out in his car and I suppose the rest you can put together.

Kind of carrying over from the venting thread, we talked about the not-talking thing, and he was upset that I was ribbing him about not working this summer. I'm mostly glad he actually talked to me about it instead of just ignoring it like usual. He checked on my cats while I was on vacation this week, and we had a lovely last couple of days being huge nerds. I think there's probably a "serious talk" on the horizon, since I'm applying for grad schools this fall, but right now at least everything is good and happy and stuff.
-betsy
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 29 Jul 2014, 07:14

Been away for a while, bit of an update. Me and girl I was seeing have decided that we are boyfriend and girlfriend and that we love each other. Having a very nice time with her and, by happy chance, the new apartment I'm moving in to is twenty minutes walk from hers. (Also twenty minutes walk from my best friend's house too. Which is nice.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 30 Jul 2014, 00:57

Home again. Barely cried at the airport this time. Progress?

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jul 2014, 01:40

I think so.
Balthasar_Wiseman
First Video: ENN Episode 1 Nerd Flu

Postby Balthasar_Wiseman » 30 Jul 2014, 21:12

Sorry to interrupt I need some opinions.
Is it bad form to take a first date to a chain restaurant?
I'm meaning Earls, Red Robin, Keg something like that or is it a way better showing to find something independent and local?
Background is I know this girl from work, I've been interested for a long time and I'm finally going to make a move.
I know she likes spicy foods and Chinese food but not American Chinese food which I have no experience with and I don't want to take her to a Chinese restaurant that is terrible.
I want fairly casual so some of the really nice places that instantly come to mind are probably a bit over the top and fancy.
I'm thinking in Vancouver, close to transit.
Any suggestions on the level of appropriate?
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 30 Jul 2014, 23:23

I believe the classic, romantic advice is that wherever you take a first date won't matter, who you are will matter more.

In practice, I's say going for a classy independent place will get you style points, just check around the Internet for recent reviews to makes sure it's good and book ahead to make sure you're not waiting for a table, because hungry people are irritable.

Having said that, going all out on a crazy classy upper crust kind of place would be overkill, a relaxed environment is preferable.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 31 Jul 2014, 02:43

Over the top can add a level of pretense to the date. Be casual. You know she likes spicy and Chinese food. Show her that you know her by taking her to a place she'd enjoy the food.

Also make sure the place is relatively quiet. I take my lady to a chip shop where you can sit in that's usually dead inside. Everyone wants a take away. Good food, chairs and quiet. We'd not be able to hold a conversation at McDonald's.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Jul 2014, 11:52

So, anyone remember the girl with the cape that I met at a convention?

If not, to summarise I met a girl whilst at a convention, whom I encountered quite often (made all the easier by her characteristic capes) and we shared some kisses on the eve of the final day. We've kept in touch since but she advised me that she doesn't really reciprocate my romantic infatuation with her and so I've left it at that.

Recently however she seems to be showing a marked increase in positivity with me. More emoticons, more jubilant greetings, more private conversations (meaning, conversations away from the larger circle of friends we usually chat with), etc. etc.

I have no idea what this actually means but it seems like it could be construed as indication that she actually has started to reciprocate. On the one hand, I could easily just be reading what I want to read into this, on the other I am famously terrible at reading subtext in human interactions. For the moment I've resigned to assume her previous statements remain valid until such time as she clearly invalidates them, but what do other folks think?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 31 Jul 2014, 11:57

I think your last line of reasoning is perfect. She was the one to draw that line so it has to be her that explicitly says that it's no longer the case.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 31 Jul 2014, 13:41

Lyinginbedmon wrote:So, anyone remember the girl with the cape that I met at a convention?

If not, to summarise I met a girl whilst at a convention, whom I encountered quite often (made all the easier by her characteristic capes) and we shared some kisses on the eve of the final day. We've kept in touch since but she advised me that she doesn't really reciprocate my romantic infatuation with her and so I've left it at that.

Recently however she seems to be showing a marked increase in positivity with me. More emoticons, more jubilant greetings, more private conversations (meaning, conversations away from the larger circle of friends we usually chat with), etc. etc.

I have no idea what this actually means but it seems like it could be construed as indication that she actually has started to reciprocate. On the one hand, I could easily just be reading what I want to read into this, on the other I am famously terrible at reading subtext in human interactions. For the moment I've resigned to assume her previous statements remain valid until such time as she clearly invalidates them, but what do other folks think?

You could always ask her. Be straightforward
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 31 Jul 2014, 13:50

The problem with being straight forward is if he turns out to be wrong about his hunch, it could end up with him losing what he has now too. It's quite delicate.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 31 Jul 2014, 13:55

Lyinginbedmon wrote:So, anyone remember the girl with the cape that I met at a convention?

Don't get your hopes up too high, that's what I always do, it's better to be pleasantly surprised I think. Though, I tell myself this all the time and I wont even listen to myself so... I don't think you should rush in and ask her. Just remain your normal self and engage at a human level.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 31 Jul 2014, 14:21

Balthasar_Wiseman wrote:Sorry to interrupt I need some opinions.
Is it bad form to take a first date to a chain restaurant?
I'm meaning Earls, Red Robin, Keg something like that or is it a way better showing to find something independent and local?
Background is I know this girl from work, I've been interested for a long time and I'm finally going to make a move.
I know she likes spicy foods and Chinese food but not American Chinese food which I have no experience with and I don't want to take her to a Chinese restaurant that is terrible.
I want fairly casual so some of the really nice places that instantly come to mind are probably a bit over the top and fancy.
I'm thinking in Vancouver, close to transit.
Any suggestions on the level of appropriate?

La Taqueria or Peaceful Restaurant at Cambie/Broadway.

Pizzeria Ludica has great pizza and board games. Stadium/Chinatown. Could catch a movie after, too.

Fable in Kits. Going tomorrow. My wife's fave restaurant. Get the canned tuna and chickpea fritters, thank me later.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 31 Jul 2014, 14:44

All I know is jubilant greeting =/= this girl is totally into me.

Return to “General Discussion”