Youtube Buys Twitch

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Youtube Buys Twitch

Postby ArchieO » 19 May 2014, 02:50

Sooo Twitch is going under the hammer huh.

Wall Street Journal Report

It definitely doesn't seem to be as clear cut as the early reports were making it out to be but it still is a very real possibility.

All I can say is please god don't force G+ intergration....
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Youtube Buys Twitch

Postby Geoff_B » 19 May 2014, 03:29

So does this mean that audio on twitch streams can be blocked because they could be in breach of copyright (like how some of Cam's recordings of XCOM on YouTube were affected)? I guess some of that was down to the music Cam had on at the time though.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 19 May 2014, 04:08

People are going to overreact to this, and then -- in around a month -- no one will care.
On the positive side, at least it's Google and not Facebook.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 19 May 2014, 04:31

IIRC one of the biggest things about Google acquiring YouTube was that studios and companies now had someone to complain to over copyright breach.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 19 May 2014, 05:41

Geoff_B wrote:IIRC one of the biggest things about Google acquiring YouTube was that studios and companies now had someone to complain to over copyright breach Copyright trolls completely unrelated to anything involved in the accused video could shut people down for now reason thanks to the over-protective 'guilty until proven innocent' policies.

FTFY. :|
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 19 May 2014, 07:14

Thats the worst thing about Youtube atm, that policy + the 3 strikes policy means that people have to be so so careful about putting content up.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 May 2014, 07:42

I'm not too upset about G+ integration. It lets me see who I've pissed off on Youtube when I go to Google to search.
Before I actually had to check my email.s
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 19 May 2014, 07:54

@Empath - I stand corrected :D

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 May 2014, 10:01

It's a rumor, guys. "Sources" have been known to be wrong.

Even if it turns out to be true, I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions just yet on how this will affect Twitch.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 19 May 2014, 10:50

I hope to Snorsh this isn't true. More media consolidation, the death of network neutrality...cyberpunk is fun to read about, but I wouldn't want to live there.

This isn't the future we were promised, goddammit.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
empath

Postby empath » 19 May 2014, 18:15

Prospero101 wrote:This isn't the future we were promised, goddammit.

...wait, I thought you read cyberpunk? It's dystopias all the way down, man. ;)
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 May 2014, 19:28

Robo4900 wrote:On the positive side, at least it's Google and not Facebook.

Right... If adding mandatory G+ integration means removing the mandatory Facebook integration (for certain streams) then sign me up.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 May 2014, 20:10

Geoff_B wrote:So does this mean that audio on twitch streams can be blocked because they could be in breach of copyright (like how some of Cam's recordings of XCOM on YouTube were affected)? I guess some of that was down to the music Cam had on at the time though.

While I'm concerned also, I believe the issues around live music is different from VODs. So, there might be issues with the replays, but less likely on the live streams themselves.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 19 May 2014, 23:40

phlip wrote:Right... If adding mandatory G+ integration means removing the mandatory Facebook integration (for certain streams) then sign me up.

Ah, but if Facebook bought it, ads wouldn't go away if you paid, and they'd put random ads in places like the Twitch Chat, on top of streams, around the streams, in the descriptions, and basically anywhere else they could put ads.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 19 May 2014, 23:41

korvys wrote:While I'm concerned also, I believe the issues around live music is different from VODs. So, there might be issues with the replays, but less likely on the live streams themselves.

Technically it's currently against Twitch terms of service to use copyrighted music during streams, unless you actually acquired the rights or permission to use it.
In practice this is never enforced and only becomes an issue when you try to upload VODs to Youtube.

For my 2 cents, it would be by no means a surprise if it does happen, as Google is generally pretty good at breaking into markets when it wants to. It should mean an overall better quality of service for users, since if nothing else nobody knows more about delivering video on the internet than Google/Youtube.

Other than that, my guess would be more but better and less intrusive ads, since after all delivering ads is where Google make their money.
Another interesting theory I've seen floating around was the possible removal of subscription options, since Google wants you to watch ads, not pay directly, though this would also mean they'd have to give streamers a larger cut of ad revenue.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 26 Jul 2014, 05:30

And I'm just going to bump this thread, because it seems that it's happening.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-google-youtube-twitch-20140726-story.html
empath

Postby empath » 26 Jul 2014, 06:19

AlexanderDitto wrote:It's a rumor, guys. "Sources" have been known to be wrong.

0/1.

Even if it turns out to be true, I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions just yet on how this will affect Twitch.

Jumping? I'm just cobbling together a syllogism here:

1. YouTube & Google Videos are competing platforms for a subform of media conveyance.
2. Google buys YouTube.
3. YouTube becomes a playground for trolls to cry wolf about Copyright infringement which, corporate giant Google has to take seriously, thanks to the state of affairs created by corporate-manipulated legislatures.

A. Google's YouTube & Twitch Interactive's Twitch.tv are competing platforms for a different subform of media conveyance.
B. Google buys Twitch Interactive.
C. ???

So is it COMPLETELY fallacious to extrapolate "C"?

I foresee AAA games suddenly getting a dearth of streams due to overreactive Legal Departments, and even indie games that the streamer SHOWS EXPLICIT, WRITTEN CONSENT at the beginning of the session 'trolled' out by evil little juveniles and maladjusted misanthropes, and yet another form of free marketing dry up and shrivel.

...oh, and the advertising gets more frequent, more intrusive and breaks people's streams more often.

There IS one good thing that will arise from all this: AdBlock and it's brethren will become even more prevalent and more supported.

...of course, that leads to the DOWNside of advertising revenues drying up even more. :(

Image Wait - I know where the silver lining is: Google's 'Spine of the Earth'-sized backbone and network; at least we'll have fewer network problems on Twitch's end - the chat lag might even drop to the sub-10s range...from time to time (I feel - in my completely unprofessional & unfounded on documented evidence opinion - that we're starting to butt our heads against the sheer physics of the situation :^) )
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 26 Jul 2014, 07:16

I don't really think automated copyright claims would work with streaming video, like they do with Youtube, since I doubt that system can monitor thousands of video streams simultaneously every minute of every day just in case someone plays some music.

Besides like I said before, it IS against terms of service and I don't think the loss of music in the background of stream would be particularly noticeable even if it DID happen.

I also don't think you can apply Youtube copyright strike trolling to Twitch, since the content is different. The Youtube videos most often flagged (besides the ones with music) have been ones critiquing various things (mostly video games), in a completely idiotic attempt to silence critics. That is not the kind of content you find on Twitch.

There's also a fundamental difference in how Youtube and Twitch content is created. On Youtube, person X puts many hours of work into capturing footage, recording commentary, editing and uploading a video covering a game. The game makers are unhappy with the portrayal of the game so they use the copyright system to either take the video down or attempt to leech money off it.

On Twitch, the streamer basically sits down at a desk, hits the GO button and the content is being created, watched and monetized in real time. There's no front loading of work so even IF there is copyright trolling(which I highly doubt is possible in real time), far less is lost for the streamer and they simply move on to stream something else while the game loses coverage and relevance.

Gaaah too many words, I hate having opinions about things!
I actually just came here to post this dreadful video from the BBC. I think it really illustrates how completely out of touch traditional media is with the way things work now and how the general public as a whole still views games.
I especially like the "videogames like they're real sports" bit. Fuck you, you condescending jackass. Clearly 20 grown men chasing a ball for a couple of hours is a far more refined form of entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPLool1mCvU&list=UU6o-wWU-v2ClFMwougmK7dA
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Jul 2014, 15:52

Most of that video was actually pretty acceptable in my eyes, although that one line did burn a bit.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 06 Aug 2014, 19:00

And to nobody's surprise, Twitch just rolled out their automated content flagging system today.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/3136/

It's pretty much what you'd expect.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 06 Aug 2014, 19:09

Andrew (Ferguson, of Kickass Photography fame) made a really good point on Twitter. Curtailing a feature that was a neverending expense spiral and limiting copyright liability? Smells awfully like preparation for sale.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 06 Aug 2014, 23:29

I heard about the past broadcasts all being eliminated after a few weeks. This is very annoying. :L
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Aug 2014, 01:36

Sounds like the script is written by a 12 year old in a English Class.

When referring to e-Sports tournaments:
"...now offering prize pools bigger than many Golf Tournaments", when put along side that condescending quote that patronises the notion of games being an eSport, it just makes the talking head man sound salty and bitter.

I don't understand why Youtube would want to buy Twitch besides money. Youtube has its own (worse) streaming option. One reason why it's worse is that it's easier for trolls to find it, and there's sod all you can do about trolls when they do find it. At least Twitch protects the streamer with an army of green swords or an overzealous modbot.
CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 07 Aug 2014, 02:07

Prospero101 wrote:Andrew (Ferguson, of Kickass Photography fame) made a really good point on Twitter. Curtailing a feature that was a neverending expense spiral and limiting copyright liability? Smells awfully like preparation for sale.

Yeah, I don't think so. I mean, the theory is sound, but the way they did it would point me more in the opposite direction. I was surprised they hadn't introduced some form of automated copyright management much earlier, seeing as more and more data was saved and the streams exploded. But now that they did, they went to a third party instead of working to implement content ID. For me, that's not preparation for a merger, that is preparing the defences.
The same goes for the whole VOD situation. Those videos cost probably enormous amounts of money to maintain with almost no value. And while the whole "put it on youtube" seems to push customers there, to me it seems more like a shifting of dead weight. And since they push their own tiwtch turbo at the same time it seems more like they are trying to concentrate their customer base.
Considering that there was no news in the two weeks following the first rumours I don't think there will be any movement in the near future. You know, except of people moving away from twitch "because it has become evil".
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Aug 2014, 04:40

The surprising thing is they ever let people save 12-hour streams indefinitely. Little is lost by purging the dead weight.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “General Discussion”