RWBY

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: RWBY

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Nov 2013, 15:04

It's $9.99 for the album isn't it?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 14 Nov 2013, 17:38

Aye. Truth be told, it's less a matter of finding spare cash and more a matter finding a way to get it, as I don't really have a paypal account or credit card or anything. Hopefully I'll be able to nab an iTunes giftcard or something though.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 15 Nov 2013, 07:01

Not only are the songs good, I like how they give more information about the character that help flesh them out and even foreshadow potential future events.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Nov 2013, 07:32

Example: Blake's reveal is in her song too.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Nov 2013, 10:40

Was "Black and White" the last episode of the series?

If so, 'oh'.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Nov 2013, 10:42

It was. I can't remember when they said Vol 2 would start.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 15 Nov 2013, 11:14

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Was "Black and White" the last episode of the series?

If so, 'oh'.

It was the last episode of the season. I believe they are going to make more. :D
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 15 Nov 2013, 11:19

Pimpin J wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Was "Black and White" the last episode of the series?

If so, 'oh'.

It was the last episode of the season. I believe they are going to make more. :D

Volume, not season. This was basically the first half of season 1. I've heard talk that they already have plans for a season 3. Whether the volume thing means they'll do it more frequently than Red Vs Blue or whether it just means they don't feel comfortable referring to this section as an entire season has yet to be seen, as we have no word on when volume 2 will start airing.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Nov 2013, 11:20

They talked about the use of volumes when they had the live stream launch party.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 15 Nov 2013, 20:52

So I'm listening to the soundtrack endlessly today, some of the later additions are really good like "Gold" and "I Burn"'s remix.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 27 Jul 2014, 09:01

So the 2nd season is out. What do yall think?

I enjoyed the 1st episode but thought it lacked depth.
We got some inside to the bad guys but the good guys just felt like fan service.

Anyone else? Beside Graham .... :)

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Jul 2014, 09:02

You can expect the first couple of episodes to be light on content to get viewers up to speed.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 27 Jul 2014, 10:13

I'm inclined to agree on both counts. That said, the first season wasn't that heavy on plot. I know the series is modeled after anime in a lot of ways, but those have 25-minute episodes. You can afford to spend more time recapping when you have that amount of time to play with. RWBY is hitting half that, at best, plus having a relatively small number of episodes. It's hard for them to get much depth going with a setup like that. I'm really going to be looking for season 2 to add some weight into the established characters, and that's already on shaky ground with the first episode introducing yet more characters.

Though I have to admit, it was a very cool-looking fight. That's kind of expected at this point, though.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jul 2014, 13:09

I feel like RWBY executes fight very well, but scenes outside of combat feel a little clunky.
It's nice that the shadow people are gone. But there were some clunky actors in the background or in random shots to add "depth" to the world. But the clunky delivery broke me out of the immersion.

It doesn't help that it feels like the premise of the show is heavily parallel to the Soul Eater Anime (except for the Meta plot).

I don't feel like I actually care about many of the characters yet or dislike any of the villains, which is a problem for me.

I watch it because it could be great, and I am waiting for it to reach there.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Jul 2014, 03:56

While it's not the worst anime I've ever watched, as the fight scenes are extremely well done (though I think they were better in later series of red versus blue tbh) there are too many tropes (animal hybrid people, a section of society that are ostracised, and there is one exceptionally talented person on the main team who is worried about being revealed as having cat ears? Oh no! now there's a rebel who wants her to be proud of her heritage. Oh the hijinks.) Their world feels empty (which I'm well aware is rather difficult to get right), and walking and talking often looks unnatural.

It certainly has positive areas, such as its portrayal of positive female characters, and as everyone's stated before, the action with crazy cool weaponry.

I'm happy to continue watching, as Monty clearly loves anime and is passionate about contributing to the genre, but it's not really hooked me yet.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jul 2014, 04:06

I wonder if it'd come across better if it was dubbed in Japanese with English Subtitles.

I do hate the theme tune. I feel like the theme tune tries too hard to be "punk" sounding and "cool" and it's just noise to me. It sounds like the vocalist is being asked to sing in a key that her voice cannot handle.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jul 2014, 09:33

The singer, Casey Williams, is 15.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jul 2014, 10:26

That would make sense.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 04 Oct 2014, 16:21

I actually love the theme for season 2, and I absolutely flabberghasted that Casey is as talented as she is at her young age.

As for season 2 overall so far. Like Ptang noted there are several flaws with the series overall, like the tropes, but the fight scenes and abundance of good female characters makes me like it a lot. It makes me sad that Blake is the way she is though, because I see her a bit too much as a walking trope to be able to really like her, since it makes her feel like not-really-a-character.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Oct 2014, 00:57

I felt the stylized battleness of the last episode was OTT.
It worked in some scenes. But, in others it felt like it was parodying... but it wasn't funny.

The episode was fine, almost great. Just, that sword slash camera angleythings, don't know how to describe it were very distracting.

I'm glad the shadow people had gone.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 05 Oct 2014, 05:11

Yeah, I'm not really sure what I thought of the stylized battles either. Felt like it took away more than it added, even though I believe I understand what feeling they wanted to achieve with it.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 05 Oct 2014, 09:45

I'm with you guys. I thought it was a really interesting style that they could do interesting things with, but the reality is that it isn't at all consistent with the style that the show has had up to this point. Actually, it would be more accurate to say this show has had issues keeping a consistent style from the very first episode. It's like they can't decide exactly what they want it to be, so they keep trying different things and hoping one of them will stick.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Oct 2014, 10:17

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I wonder if it'd come across better if it was dubbed in Japanese with English Subtitles.

Good news, if you didn't know, Rwby is being dubbed into Japanese for export. That should be interesting.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Oct 2014, 12:46

Final episode of Volume 2 was kind of underwhelming to what was set up in last week's episode.

All in all I've enjoyed Vol 2 more than Vol 1.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Oct 2014, 08:49

That was the finale episode?

Wow, they take after the Heroes School of finale resolution

Return to “General Discussion”