The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Aug 2014, 09:17

With instant speed discard and reanimation you could even surprise someone with Ob Nix.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Aug 2014, 14:45

jkefka wrote:If you're not restricted by standard, may I recommend Boldwyr Heavyweights. Sure, they don't HAVE to search, but you have an 8/8 trample for 4 with no downside. It almost becomes a question of whether they want the 10 off of Ob or to take lots from the Heavys every turn.

Nah, it becomes an answer of whether or not they have removal.

Although, to be fair, I suppose if they have removal, they probably already killed Ob Nix.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 08 Aug 2014, 15:16

Hey guys, I, uh, I have a problem.

I'm pretty sure I'm awful at Magic. One does not simply lose as consistently as I do by sheer bad luck. Trouble is, during gameplay I get so caught up in the moment that I can't point out my own play mistakes. And I certainly don't have the means to have others watch and point them out to me.

I'm making the effort to be more self-aware, at least. I keep bad hands. I bend over backwards to play black. Any mana base that's not 10-7 or 11-6 confuses the hell out of me. But how can I get better if I can't tell what I'm doing wrong?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 08 Aug 2014, 15:54

Talk yourself through your plays (it's easier on MTGO but do it in your head if playing live.) And make the effort to go through every single option on the table and in your hand prior to committing to decisions.

That should get you to getting a small share of wins, at least. The next step is "what does the guy in front of me has in hand that could change the game?" But that requires studying the meta, and that's not what you asked about.

EDITL: alternately, you could get drunk, draft terrible M15 decks, screw up your manabase (to the tune of 14-lands deck, including two Evolving Wilds) and misread your cards. I've won a draft and am 1-0 on the second one using that strategy, so clearly it must be working, right?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 08 Aug 2014, 15:59

For context, this refers entirely to Limited, since that's all I play these days. I have a Modern list that I won't be able to put together anytime soon, but yeah, just Limited.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
MisterDee

Postby MisterDee » 08 Aug 2014, 16:27

Kidding aside, I've had the same problems playing Dominions 3. There's just something about the breadth of options those games offer. I won my first game of Dominions by writing a LP about it - while it's overkill for MTG, I do think that forcing ourselves to think about and justify each play is really important in those games.
MisterDee

Postby MisterDee » 08 Aug 2014, 17:23

And DRUNK LOWLAND DECK wins!

Admittedly, Worth went easy on me despite the terrible manabase (I went 1-2 in Game Ones, then I could fix the mana in sideboard) but it's one draft where I can definitely say my good plays outnumbered my bad ones.

Maybe, just maybe I should dip my toes into the shark-infested pool of the 8-4 drafts...
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 08 Aug 2014, 17:37

So I just built my new Mill Deck which is otk mind grind via kruphix. I didn't get the prophets though, so I'm running disciple of deceit instead and MAY have discovered a great combo. Oracle's insight + disciple. free combat free inspired trigger. use scry not only to fix draw but find potential pitch for said inspired trigger. card draw in general is realllly good.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 08 Aug 2014, 18:22

When playing a deck I'm not familiar with, I'll sometimes talk to myself my options out loud. Just hearing someone, even myself discuss the options really seems to help, I find.

(And it's funny, I only really play paper Magic, so while I sometimes give away information, it seems to just as often tilt them out when they know I have answers to their things.)

Also, I never do this in major tournaments, obviously. I only do it when playtesting a new deck with friends, or trying out a new limited format for the first few times. (Once I know how a limited format works, again, I don't do it anymore.)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 12 Aug 2014, 07:44

in a new format, I spend a lot of time going over my plays. I've punted more than one game by just making the snap play and not considering the board, much less what my opponent might have.
MisterDee

Postby MisterDee » 12 Aug 2014, 09:15

Two realizations I had today:

1-I suck at playing control. I can recognize when I should be playing control, but I'm not that good at managing the resources I have to outlast the opponent.

2-There are a lot more learning opportunities when playing control, so if I want to get better I have to play control more often. Obviously, I figure that out at the very beginning of an aggro-focused format. :)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Aug 2014, 09:35

I end up playing aggro better than I do control, but I don't like playing aggro as much as I do control. I loved playing Orzhov in Gatecrash because I was playing control done right. I could just sit there and play blockers and removal, all the while extorting. That slow bleed felt so good. I felt pretty good with Azorius in RTR, but not quite as good as Orzhov. When I could make Esper Limited decks in Dragon's Maze, I was pretty happy.

But whenever I would end up with things like Gruul or Boros, I would win more games. It's weird.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Aug 2014, 05:45

So I'd like to ship three years worth of draft shash to Card Kingdom for store credit. Mostly bulk commons and uncommons. Anybody have any tips for shipping bulk items like that effectively?

steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 14 Aug 2014, 07:07

Try getting those plastic boxes that card stores use to ship lots of cards. Also use padded/bubble-wrap mailers. Other than that, just follow the directions they give you (include the order number and have the cards in order, yadda yadda).
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Aug 2014, 07:14

Blargh. I'm beginning to wonder if the cost of shipping exceeds the money I'll get for these cards.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Aug 2014, 07:16

I dont think that Card Kingdom does Bulk purchases. They have a set buy list that they update daily.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Aug 2014, 07:30

Welp, my Commander deck just got a whole lot more expensive.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2014, 14:34

In my experience, selling your bulk commons and uncommons is going to cost you more in shipping that you'll get in credit. Nobody really wants the commons most of the time. And even the uncommons need to be something special to be worth anything. The best advice there would be to look for a local game store and see if they have an online buylist. I sometimes buylist a bunch of random uncommons and a few rares for $50 or so. It saves on shipping too since you don't have to send out a bunch of bulk. But they normally again have to be uncommons the store is looking for rather than just anything. You could also take the collection to the store and ask how much they'd offer.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 14 Aug 2014, 16:48

If they commons and uncommons are sorted, you might be able to find a few that are worth more than the rest, if they've found a home in a few Modern decks, and the sets are hard to come by. Serum Visions for example is $5.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 14 Aug 2014, 16:58

Yeah, I only found out yesterday how much a foil Delver of Secrets is worth. It's worth going through if the sets are out of standard and see what sees play in eternal formats.
korvys

Postby korvys » 14 Aug 2014, 18:32

This site basically lists anything that's worth more than average for each set in Modern (there are ones for Standard and Legacy as well). Mostly rares, but for the commons and uncommons that are worth something, will list them too. Very useful: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=modern

keybase.io
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 14 Aug 2014, 18:53

Woah, when did the Eldrazi jump to 50 each?
korvys

Postby korvys » 14 Aug 2014, 20:09

For that, we have a different site: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Rise+of+the+Eldrazi/Emrakul+the+Aeons+Torn#paper
It looks like it jumped about $10 earlier this year, but has been going up pretty steadily since mid 2012.

keybase.io
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 14 Aug 2014, 20:10

It happened when Tron, Sneak & Show, and Commander all started loving them.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 15 Aug 2014, 13:00

Well, Emrakul I knew was at 45 for a while now, but for instance, Kozilek is 51 dollars average now.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”