TTC - The TTC Sideboard Hour

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - The TTC Sideboard Hour

Postby Graham » 18 Aug 2014, 10:03

With the regular TTC crew out of town, join the self appointed TTC Sideboard (Cam, Alex and Serge) for all things MtG.
Dusk_Shine
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: TTC - The TTC Sideboard Hour

Postby Dusk_Shine » 18 Aug 2014, 11:06

Cam's voice in the intro....so soothing...*sleepytiems*
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 18 Aug 2014, 12:01

Even if Cam, Alex and Serge are only sideboard cards, they combo with each other quite well. I would love to see them more often on the podcast, maybe it will be possible after rotation in Standard? This episode is my all time favourite so far, there was so much value in it.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 18 Aug 2014, 12:48

Dat Cameron intro.

Also, it is a bit strange listening to a TTC episode where Cameron's mic isn't broken. ^^
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 18 Aug 2014, 20:49

Card set elitist. ;)

Good episode. Really enjoyed this.
^( " )^
winner!
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 19 Aug 2014, 03:10

As a new player who loves making wacky lifegain decks in Standard, I salute thee.
mbooma
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby mbooma » 19 Aug 2014, 04:39

Awesome video guys. I part net deck, part home brew. I love that you mention pet cards... sadly mine is pack rat because I made a golgari rat combo deck with it using ogre slumlord, Jarad's orders and immortal servitude. my friends hated me.

Was good to see the sideboard work in combo together :P
mbooma on lrrcraft.com :D

square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 19 Aug 2014, 05:50

Was it the Enclave Cryptologist you were pairing with the Sea Gate Oracle? I'm really enamored with that idea now. I hope we get a follow-up card with them meeting up for coffee in Ravnica.
Muscadine
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Muscadine » 19 Aug 2014, 11:02

Important question: did Alex find his Bob? :?
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 19 Aug 2014, 11:37

My Standard deck is BUG Mill with Kruphix and Mind Grind. It runs Disciple and my activation is Oracle's Insight so I get to see if I want to keep the scry for a good card or good pitch
Garbonzo42
First Video: Ransom

Postby Garbonzo42 » 19 Aug 2014, 19:30

I've been trying to make a deck that recreates a stupid win I got in Magic 2015. The AI destroyed my 17/17 Chasm Skulker, so I got 16 squids. He had 18 life and a blocker and I had 19 1/x creatures, it was so dumb.

But the intentional version of the combo is to pump the Skulker as high as I can, get an Ogre Battledriver on the field to give all creatures Haste and +2/0 on the turn they come in, give the Skulker the Hot Soup so that any damage destroys it, and cunning sparkmage or shock it to blow it up and dump a pile of 3/1 Hasted squid on the opponent. I will call it... Calamari Surprise.
notaballoon
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby notaballoon » 19 Aug 2014, 21:54

Question for Serge: why did you not call that deck "Claw Blade"?
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 19 Aug 2014, 23:38

You remind me of when I used to play magic, and why I never played with anyone outside my friend group.

First as context I played from about 1995 to 2000. I remember I got my first few packs as revised but 4th Ed. came soon after. I kept playing but really stopped buying cards around stronghold.

I was, and I guess still am, a very Timmy player. So my decks almost always were theme decks. And I would stick to the theme even to my detriment.

My best, and most unfair, deck was my mono red burn deck. it was all direct damage all to the dome, the only creature in it was Mogg fanatic, which was usually a chump and one damage to the dome. won fairly consistently by turn 4.

My favorite deck was one that was in part based around a combo of 2 card. Aluren and recycle.

Aluren
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... rseid=4747

Recycle
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... rseid=4782

And the rest of the deck was 3 or less casting cost creatures and a few overruns. So if I could get Aluren and Recycle out I could pretty much keep drawing and playing creatures from my deck until I hit land.

I had a blue/black deck based round bouncing cards(blue) and having your opponent discard cards(black). Admittedly this was just slow two step removal when I had perfectly viable removal like terror in black, but like I said I stuck to the theme even to my detriment.
idesama
First Video: the first Friday Nights episode

Postby idesama » 20 Aug 2014, 02:17

I generally do not brew my own decks. It's not a matter of being elitist, or a Spike, or hating on someone's pet cards, that's not it AT ALL. It's a matter of...I just don't have a lot of patience for deckbuilding. Tweaking someone else's list to suit my own tastes, sure. But not actually sitting down and putting together my own list of 60. The reason I bring this up is while I could never imagine calling someone a casual, scrub, or worse for playing some pet card (well, except for Sorrow's Path, I mean you have to have some standards), and those people would rightfully be called out as jerks...fewer people seem to bat an eye at calling someone like me a sorry netdecker. "Why don't you be original, netdecker? Stop just copying everyone else." And it's like, look, I don't have the patience for deckbuilding. I would never call someone dumb or a noob for playing what they want to play. Why does that mean you get to be nasty to me because I built a deck from some online list? And a lot of times a budget list at that. I know you guys wouldn't do that to a person (at least I hope you wouldn't), I just wanted to say that your public service announcement about homebrewers, well, it cuts both ways. I think we should all simply agree that the correct way to play Magic is the way that is fun for everyone involved. :)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Aug 2014, 03:23

Yeah, I admit... I'm a Spike, and one of the reasons I don't play at the games store near my house is because I would rather drive for an hour to play with friends who treat the game the way I do than be that one asshole who net decks with the non-Spikey players. Of course, that means instead that I'm the asshole who only shows up during WMCQ season and net decks, but...

In general, I stand by "don't be a dick to anyone for the way they play magic". It is solid advice.

And I want to ask again: did Alex find his Bob?
LadyRhian
First Video: "The Job

Postby LadyRhian » 20 Aug 2014, 19:36

Back when I played Magic- somewhere between Revised and Ice Age/Homelands. (I had collected The Dark, Fallen Empires, Revised, 4th, Ice Age, Homelands and Chronicles.) I played a Mono White Deck. I had 4 Serra Angels, 4 Seraphs, 2 Veteran Bodyguards and a Personal Incarnation, among others). I also had a ton of Walls (Wall of Light being one I remember from Legends). I also collected many of the Legends cards, but I didn't have all of them.

After Homelands, I drifted into a White/Red Flyers deck with Abbey Gargoyles.:) But I couldn't afford to play both Magic and AD&D, and I preferred AD&D. So I gave my cards away or sold them to buy D&D stuff.

Return to “TapTapConcede”