Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Doctor Who

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Sep 2014, 22:16

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Sep 2014, 01:12

I like Donna, but really didn't like Catherine Tate as she mocked Science Fiction. Mocked in good humour, but mocked never-the-less. At least the other actors who have played companions who admit they're unfamiliar with Science Fiction/Fantasy respect it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Sep 2014, 04:00

From what I've seen, Catherine Tate mocks anything and everything - Science Fiction is just an easy target because of her tenure on Doctor Who.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 04 Sep 2014, 15:11

AdmiralMemo wrote:[Awesome comic strip]

Could not be more spot-on.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 04 Sep 2014, 22:23

TIL Greg still makes Real Life Comics. I read that shit WAYYYYYYYY back in the day. Like before LRR. Didn't realize he was still going. That's crazy.

AdmiralMemo wrote:Image
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 04 Sep 2014, 22:34

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:I actually think that Moffat managed to do some things very right with characterization in this episode - specifically with a certain new guy called Mr. Pink.

How long was that dude on screen? Five minutes, maybe? He's already received more proper characterization and establishment than Clara has to date.

However, Characterisation is very different from Character. An Actor can characterise for five minutes based on no written material at all, in fact the 'waiting at a bus-stop' improv is a well known method acting practice. Brief characterisation means very little towards if a character if properly fleshed out or not.

A good actor, and a good director can make a character we see for a few minutes appear full of character. It's when you have that character around for twenty minutes that the writing matters.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Sep 2014, 23:23

James wrote:TIL Greg still makes Real Life Comics. I read that shit WAYYYYYYYY back in the day. Like before LRR. Didn't realize he was still going. That's crazy.
Dude's now got a daughter going into pre-school.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 05 Sep 2014, 12:26

Rumours, rumours... Moffat might be looking for a replacement. On the other hand, maybe he isn't.
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 05 Sep 2014, 12:27

JayBlanc wrote:However, Characterisation is very different from Character. An Actor can characterise for five minutes based on no written material at all, in fact the 'waiting at a bus-stop' improv is a well known method acting practice. Brief characterisation means very little towards if a character if properly fleshed out or not.

A good actor, and a good director can make a character we see for a few minutes appear full of character. It's when you have that character around for twenty minutes that the writing matters.

Sure. Still, I can see potential with this character - they've laid the groundwork for something interesting, at least. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 05 Sep 2014, 21:25

I've heard some strong rumors about Moffat potentially being replaced, and while I could complain about Moffat's writing all day long, I think his problem is that he doesn't have anyone to bounce ideas off of. In Sherlock, he has Mark Gatiss to say "No, that's stupid" or "Perhaps they could do this instead" or "How about they do that at a different point".

However, if Moffat is replaced, it would certainly be interesting to see what a potential new guy brings to the series.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Sep 2014, 01:18

I can't think of any writer who is free who could replace him. That's my problem.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Sep 2014, 06:43

First, doesn't Mark Gatiss work on Doctor who as a primary writer or something like that too? Like he isn't officially in charge but what he says carries basically the same weight as Moffats word. Similar to Joss Wheaton with Marti Noxon, Drew Goddard and a couple others. Or the White House Chief of Staff, officially they dont have any power but in reality they are in charge and run things.

I dont know how much influence Gatiss has on Doctor who, but considering he is co-creator of Sherlock and in a similar position on both shows, and they suffer many of the same problems I would imagine that him taking over would be more of the same rather than any kind of departure.

This last inside the Dalek episode was more of the same, great idea, poor execution with characters that made no sense. The blond girl, like she made this great sacrifice but up until she did that did she even speak in the episode? We were clearly supposed to care about her but she didnt exist as a character until the moment we were supposed to care.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Sep 2014, 07:58

Mark Gatiss' episodes I've always found 50-50.

Last episode wasn't a written solely by Moffat. It was written by someone else.
-
New Last episode was fun. I will now avoid all comment sections regarding this episode as to not ruin my sincere opinion via peer pressure.
tbug

Postby tbug » 06 Sep 2014, 15:07

Robot of Sherwood felt a lot like Classic Who. I had ridiculous cheesiness, which you either love or hate.

Hai!
Dale
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Sep 2014, 15:50

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I can't think of any writer who is free who could replace him. That's my problem.

Hello.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 06 Sep 2014, 20:40

tbug wrote:which you either love or hate.

Well, turns out I didn't love it, so...
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 06 Sep 2014, 22:21

I really liked it...
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 07 Sep 2014, 04:05

I was enjoying the episode, cheese and all. And then....

That bullshit golden arrow.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Sep 2014, 05:11

I can't help but feel there's just something wrong with how the doctor has been so flippant about people dying. It's just jarring, I know they each have different personalities quirks, but respect for life has always been part of the Doctor's underlying personality, and it feels very wrong for the Doctor to make a bitter joke about someone dying...
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 07 Sep 2014, 09:30

I'm actually okay with bitter jokes about people dying. That's a real way that a lot of people deal with hard issues - gallows humour to cover over your real feelings. Hell, I do that.

It isn't necessarily that the Doctor doesn't care; it could well be that he does care, and this is 12's way of dealing with those emotions. I feel it's being set up for a reveal at some point.

Or, you know, not. In which case, yeah, that's a real break with the character.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 07 Sep 2014, 09:50

To be fair, "Not sure if intriguing character flaw or bad writing" could be applied to pretty much the entirety of New Who.
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 07 Sep 2014, 10:33

Well, that is true...
Hiramas
First Video: The Zero Punctuation Crossover

Postby Hiramas » 07 Sep 2014, 13:28

As far as I can figure out Moffats writing so far, I am sure that those really irritable quirks of the new doctor mean something.
The day of the doctor fundamentally changed something. We have the hint of Missy but there is no real connection yet. But I am convinced this irritating doctor is not just his new personality, but something more important.
Also, did anyone notice that not every villian gets to go to Missy? The evil guy this week did not. The other two were not evil per se. The first guy just tried to go to the promised land, the soldier sacrificed herself.

On the episode: not my favourite, but the Existenz of Robin Hood is significant, too.

edit: corrected spelling. damn phone.
Last edited by Hiramas on 08 Sep 2014, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2014, 13:33

Hirmas, your spelling didn't make your post very coherent. I thought you were a bot.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 07 Sep 2014, 17:02

I enjoyed that upto the Arrow at the end, which seemed just a lazy last minute resolution.

Particularly as it seemed to be showing the gold was repairing something/containing something earlier - not some arbitrary power source. (which I wouldn't have minded as such - TimeMachine style gold power I can dig - but it should be established, and even then merely hitting the hull is a bit too arbitrary).

Besides, given the silly-levels in general, they could have shot the arrow though a window on the ship or something to hit something inside to make it fit a bit better. I am fine with silly, just like a bit more consistency really.
--
oh, pretty sure the Docs supposed to be more of an arsehole this time. Put it down to the new set of regenerations, or maybe fear of being the evil doctor, or whatever else. Either way, its clearly a intentional character difference. The same writters have been working on Who awhile, so if the Doctor starts being darker/nastier in his humour, its gota be intentional.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.

Return to “General Discussion”