Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
tbug

Re: Doctor Who

Postby tbug » 07 Sep 2014, 18:03

He kind of reminds me of Seven, with the way he can be callous.
Dale
Hiramas
First Video: The Zero Punctuation Crossover

Postby Hiramas » 08 Sep 2014, 05:40

I apologize for my spelling but my phone tried to correct EVERY LAST WORD into german there. Never post from your phone in a different language than the system is tuned to.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Sep 2014, 07:13

It's been stated that the Doctor needs someone to act as his moral compass. Riversong herself stated this, and she knows The Doctor the most (ignoring the TARDIS).
It's interesting seeing the Doctor being darker, when before he was warned about having this behaviour.
He' still trying to be a good person, but he seems too at ease at people dying.

It will be interesting to see if this gets addressed. Especially if Riversong does reappear. (I know expect a reply saying how terrible she is).
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 08 Sep 2014, 08:31

River Song should not return; her story is over. There wasn't a huge amount of closure, but there was a quick ending(See Name of the Doctor) which sort of "Wrapped up" her whole story, which was already pretty much done by that point.

However, more exploration of the new Doctor's darkness would be interesting.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
tbug

Postby tbug » 08 Sep 2014, 09:53

I'm in partial agreement. River Song should only return if there's an appropriate story for her, much like Sarah Jane Smith's return in series two.
Dale
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 09 Sep 2014, 01:53

... *Remembers how good Sarah Jane's episode was* ... Agreed, but they should definitely give her a rest for a while(At least a season or two).
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
tbug

Postby tbug » 09 Sep 2014, 05:30

A break of at least a season or two sounds great.
Dale
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Sep 2014, 12:11

Man that golden arrow was lame. "you dont have enough gold! This one little bit will somehow be just enough" Forget about all the platters, and other gold that had already been collected that was not yet refined. There was no reason for them to launch when they did. If they were close enough that that arrow would have been enough, why wouldnt they have just kept the doctor and friends in the jail cell for ohhh 10 more minutes so they could finish? Also Gold is HEAVY a arrow like that would weigh like 20 pounds even a modern bow could only manage to throw it a few feet forget about accuracy or distance.

The episode itself was fun though. I really liked the whole exchange between Robin and the doctor in the end where Robin explains how stranger things have happened.

Also I dont think that this Doctor is "darker" than previous versions just more callused and stoic. Matt Smith was all "LETS GO SEE THE NEW THING OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY!" and Tenant was very "im here to help you I care about you as a individual" Capaldi is more big picture, the individuals arent such a big deal.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Sep 2014, 13:49

The episode itself was fun though. I really liked the whole exchange between Robin and the doctor in the end where Robin explains how stranger things have happened.

I really didn't like this episode, but that last little exchange at the end? About pretending to be a good man? Loved it. Credit where it's due.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 09 Sep 2014, 13:57

I actually liked this episode way more than I thought I would; it just felt quite wonderfully silly. Like they'd decided 'OK, we're doing a Robin Hood episode- might as well go the whole hog on the ridiculousness front'
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Sep 2014, 14:13

See, silly is fine. But it lacked, I dunno, emotional depth. That's been my main complaint about the Moffat era the entire time, actually. No emotional or character depth. What happened to things like "Midnight," or "The Family of Blood"? Or Wilf in "Turn Left"?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Sep 2014, 14:43

Vincent and the Doctor.
I suppose that's a real person though.
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Sep 2014, 14:46

True. But how long ago was that? And how often does that sort of episode get written anymore? It's something I really miss.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 09 Sep 2014, 17:07

It's fair to say the Moffat era has so far been defined by imposing more heavily intertwined series-long plot arcs, which when compared to the Davis era seems to have allowed less opportunity for stand-alone adventures of the sort that resulted in the likes of Blink, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, The Doctor's Daughter & Midnight (but of course also gave us Fear Her, 42, Lazerous Experiment, etc.). Especially with the essentially two mini-series structure of series 7 and, in a way, series 6 as well.
Hopefully with a full uninterrupted series length to run through, it should allow episodes wholly unrelated to the series arc to make their return.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 10 Sep 2014, 01:43

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I actually liked this episode way more than I thought I would; it just felt quite wonderfully silly. Like they'd decided 'OK, we're doing a Robin Hood episode- might as well go the whole hog on the ridiculousness front'

My sentiments exactly.
PlasmaCow wrote:(But of course also gave us Fear Her, Love and Monsters, Lazerous Experiment, etc.)

FTFY.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Sep 2014, 04:13

I felt like Clara being a fangirl of Robin Hood was kinda, not shadowed.

It was like, "Hai. This is Clara. She is going to reveal she always loved Robin Hood for an episode set in Robin Hood".

I guess I suppose it's the same as Amy and the Romans, but, Amy didn't exactly fan girl a lot.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Sep 2014, 06:09

Yeah, that made it feel like this episode should have being one of Clara's first trips with Smith, not Capaldi.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Sep 2014, 06:43

That would have made more sense.

My own experiences with people, is that if you spend enough time in their company, they will at least refer to an obsession of theirs.

Or like my sister, almost constantly.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 13 Sep 2014, 12:01

I find myself conflicted somewhat by "Listen".
One one hand, seeing more of a Companion's story is interesting. On the other, it needs to go somewhere. I guess since it's only the 4th episode of the season there's still time, but it just seems to meander along.

On a similar note, it took 4 episodes, but we're seeing what the Doctor is like more in this regen now. Not sure how necessary Clara's bit with the "dream" was to the character. Sits a little wrong somehow...

Maybe we can have a space-type episode soon? I get that Clara's not a full-time traveller, but... I don't know, do we need to have that tie-in all the time? It's almost like all of time and space isn't as good as a 9-5 and a bit of a social life.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Sep 2014, 12:25

I really liked it.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 13 Sep 2014, 14:18

I also really liked it. :D
A really weird episode, but weird is good in this case.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Sep 2014, 14:45

I liked the references to previous episodes:

Midnight. Day of the Doctor

I feel perhaps the figure in Rupert's room might be revisited? Everything could be explained rationally. That... could definitely not. I feel like it's prime "yeah, going to show this bit again from a different POV to show you seeds have been planted throughout" - like with The Doctor reversing in time in The Big Bang

But yeah, said scene would scare me shitless if it happened to me IRL. That was proper creepy.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 13 Sep 2014, 15:18

It seemed very interesting at first,
then got even more intriguing when they went to the future, then just kind of derailed itself by somehow going to Galifray...
My real question though is what the hell was the relevance of the blanket creature in the children's home if it was supposedly all in the Doctors mind?

I did like the Danny/Clara developments, but the "main plot" fell short.

Moffat talks Listen - very briefly, without really explaining what he was up to.
Doctor Who Extra gives much more detail - it was all about sound and not much else.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Sep 2014, 16:01

It really hit the atmosphere and tone of previous creepy episodes, like Midnight, which I really like. On the other hand, the plot really does seem to fall apart in places (unless they do link this episode into a wider arc).

Specifically, going to Gallifray is supposed to be impossible for the TARDIS (though I suppose the developments of "The Day of the Doctor" might change that), and what was on under the sheets in Rupert's room.

I also take issue with the Doctor's premise in the opening monologue. Many creatures evolve "hiding" as their main survival trait, at least to the same level as the examples for "hunting" and "defense".

As to Clara's double lifestyle - say what you will about Donna, she had the right attitude towards having the opportunity to travel throughout time and space.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Arclight_Dynamo

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 13 Sep 2014, 19:41

I'm confused. I... liked it? It did the things I want in Doctor Who? It engaged me on an emotional and character level?

Huh.

Return to “General Discussion”