Of Vlogs and bandwidth...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Of Vlogs and bandwidth...

Postby Wraith » 17 Jul 2007, 10:33

So, I'm considering a video blog, but I have no clue what to expect bandwidth-wise. How much does LRR use on average?
-Wraith
Patch

Postby Patch » 17 Jul 2007, 11:25

Probably not that much, seeing as it's all streamed from Revver.
Offsite hosting for the videos would be the best way of doing it. Jewtube them, and embed the code in the page, or get a Revver producer account, and do it that way.

Unless you're scoring millions of hits, then you could do it on a basic free webhosting plan...
One Bot to rule them all,
And in the darkness lag them...
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 17 Jul 2007, 11:30

These days we use around 200GB/month. Most of that is just serving pages of the site and the forums, but that also includes streaming the podcasts and some of the archived videos. Ever since Talk like a Pirate, all our new videos have been served from Revver, which is a very good thing. If we were hosting our own videos, we would be transferring over 2TB/month.

Ever since the "online video revolution" (eg. YouTube) it really isn't worth it to host your own videos, unless you are trying to do something really fancy.

Keep in mind that this is after 3.5 years of doing stuff. When we started we had a 20GB limit and that was fine for the first year or so.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 17 Jul 2007, 12:10

I don't want to particularly host on youtube, because I feel like youtube content is supposed to mostly be general intrest stuff. I hate watching something, and then clicking on one of the linked videos, and it's just some idiot ranting about something no one really cares about.

If this site could be hosted by a little over 2TB, I'm not terribly worried. My hosting plan currently gives me 7.7TB, and increases weekly by 40GB.

edit: I just looked at Revver. THAT looks like it's got potential, though. You get to keep 20% of the ad revenue? Yea, that seems like the way to go.

Now, I just need to finish gaming the Coke-a-cola points sytem to get that Cannon Mini-DV camera.

The trick is to vulch catered events. If I continue at the rate I've been going, I should have enough in 116 days, give or take.
-Wraith
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 17 Jul 2007, 13:48

With Revver, the ad revenue is either split 50/50 between the creator and Revver or 20/40/40 between the affiliate(person showing it), the creator, and Revver. When you show your own videos on your own site, you are both the affiliate and the creator, so the split is 60/40. The thing to remember about Revver is that, unlike YouTube, you can't expect that much traffic from their site alone. They are more set up to be a back end for other people's sites.

From your ridiculous bandwidth limit, I assume you are using DreamHost. I use them for my own portfolio site and as a back system for all my client files for work (3TB bandwidth +16GB/week!).
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 17 Jul 2007, 14:10

Firstly, I don't need much traffic. It's just a personal Vlog. Basically, it's going to be just like My Livejournal, only I'll be speaking instead of typing. In fact, what it looks like I'm going to do is host the videos with Revver, and then embed them in my personal blogs.

And yes, I'm using Dreamhost. I got in on their kick-ass, one day only, unadvertised first anniversary sale. I get the $79.95 per month "Strictly Business Plan" for $120.00 a year, and as part of the sale, they can never increase the price. I've got 7.7TB per month of Bandwidth and 644GB of storage space. Not a bad way to spend $120.00 a year, no?
-Wraith
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 17 Jul 2007, 21:23

i used imageshack's video hosting yesterday. the quality seems really good (DV AVI to QT 3mbs mov to their flash format).

Return to “General Discussion”