The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby JackSlack » 22 Sep 2014, 19:35

Idea:

Playset of Meandering Towershell. Some ramp. Temur Ascendancy and a bunch of evolve creatures.

Whenever the Towershell attacks, it comes in the next turn again. That triggers Temur Ascendancy and, with the 9 toughness, almost certainly every evolve creature on the table.

What do people think? Playable?

Edit: Oh, damn. Of course it doesn't work. RTR goes out of standard as Khans goes in.

D'oh!
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 22 Sep 2014, 20:13

So how should I go about making a Standard deck that's full of morph creatures, using Trails of Mystery and Secret Plans to increase the fun value? Stay in UG? Go five colors and not worry too much since that's what Trails of Mystery is for? Maybe three or four picking specific creatures instead of a potluck of "the best"?
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 22 Sep 2014, 21:19

Phosphatide wrote:So how should I go about making a Standard deck that's full of morph creatures, using Trails of Mystery and Secret Plans to increase the fun value? Stay in UG? Go five colors and not worry too much since that's what Trails of Mystery is for? Maybe three or four picking specific creatures instead of a potluck of "the best"?

My ancient wisdom says that going five colours is a Bad Idea unless (even?) if you're trying to play a Sliver Queen or other five-colour thing (and even in a sliver deck, there's enough slivers these days that you could probably stick to two or even one colour and have a pretty nice green aggro deck).
Personally, I'd want cards that buffed my 2/2 morphs - such as, say, a couple of Incremental Growths and some Abzan - but then I'm obsessed with building an Abzan/Golgari deck right now, so your mileage may vary. Green/blue is pretty potent though, with green creatures, blue removal, and blue fliers filling in green's usual obvious weak spots.
Now I think about it, green/blue would allow you to splash black for Sultai or red for Temur; the choice might come down to whichever has multicoloured cards you want. I think I'd go Sultai, for no more intellectual a reason than that I really like the Rakshasa Deathdealer. And also the whole Golgari thing.
It's fish in a tin!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 22 Sep 2014, 21:27

Phosphatide wrote:So how should I go about making a Standard deck that's full of morph creatures, using Trails of Mystery and Secret Plans to increase the fun value? Stay in UG? Go five colors and not worry too much since that's what Trails of Mystery is for? Maybe three or four picking specific creatures instead of a potluck of "the best"?

But how does the turtleshell fit into that? Cause I think that was the entire point of the idea. It still kind of works with Temur Ascendancy, but not enough to really make it amazing. It basically becomes 'draw an extra card every other turn if they don't just kill your guy.'
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 22 Sep 2014, 22:28

Tinfish wrote:My ancient wisdom says that going five colours is a Bad Idea unless (even?) if you're trying to play a Sliver Queen or other five-colour thing (and even in a sliver deck, there's enough slivers these days that you could probably stick to two or even one colour and have a pretty nice green aggro deck).
Personally, I'd want cards that buffed my 2/2 morphs - such as, say, a couple of Incremental Growths and some Abzan - but then I'm obsessed with building an Abzan/Golgari deck right now, so your mileage may vary. Green/blue is pretty potent though, with green creatures, blue removal, and blue fliers filling in green's usual obvious weak spots.
Now I think about it, green/blue would allow you to splash black for Sultai or red for Temur; the choice might come down to whichever has multicoloured cards you want. I think I'd go Sultai, for no more intellectual a reason than that I really like the Rakshasa Deathdealer. And also the whole Golgari thing.

Well the theory is having Trails of Mystery helps unflip my morph creatures no matter what their morph cost is since I'm paying three colorless mana for a 2/2 and whatever color I need from a basic land search. It worked in a session of mini masters, at least.

I suppose at the worst I can have an army of 2/2's for 3 in what is probably a Simic deck at the core.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Sep 2014, 23:51

Kapol wrote:But how does the turtleshell fit into that? Cause I think that was the entire point of the idea. It still kind of works with Temur Ascendancy, but not enough to really make it amazing. It basically becomes 'draw an extra card every other turn if they don't just kill your guy.'

I think you're conflating two threads.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 23 Sep 2014, 00:12

JackSlack wrote:
Kapol wrote:But how does the turtleshell fit into that? Cause I think that was the entire point of the idea. It still kind of works with Temur Ascendancy, but not enough to really make it amazing. It basically becomes 'draw an extra card every other turn if they don't just kill your guy.'

I think you're conflating two threads.

I think my brain is just kind of broken. It's been a long weekend.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 29 Sep 2014, 10:18

heh... an old college acquaintance of mine does the occasional flavor text discussion on her comic. Thought you all might like it

http://imogenquest.net/?p=458
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 29 Sep 2014, 11:22

I like to imagine all the historians trying to invent explanations for the making out statues, about them being metaphors for the way in which the war between the states of those rulers bound them together or something.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 29 Sep 2014, 16:30

These aren't just statues; they're golems. When activated, they probably start making out.
It's fish in a tin!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Sep 2014, 16:34

Yes. Just 'making out.' Nothing more than that. >_>
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 29 Sep 2014, 21:55

Well, they're defenders, so there probably isn't much usage from their spears.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 01 Oct 2014, 21:23

Anyone know how to search for cards that only use colored mana as a casting cost? Ex. Precinct Captain or Puresteel Paladin.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Oct 2014, 22:38

Do you specifically mean cards that have no colorless mana in their costs, but can have any number of colors in them?
I'm wondering if you're just looking for things like Ball Lighting, with RRR, or whether you're including things like Esper Charm, with WBU. (If so, you can easily include probably the hardest-to-cast card in MtG, Progenitus: WWUUBBRRGG.)

This page could help. It has a search where you can search specifically by mana cost. However, you have to put in each one in individually, so you'll have to do a search for WW, and one for RRR, and one for GGGG, etc. And then, that's only single colors, so then you'd have to search for things like WBU and such.

Also, I can't figure out how to input hybrid mana symbols into Gatherer, so it'll miss a bunch of stuff from Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Alara, Ravnica, and Return to Ravnica blocks, like Ghastlord of Fugue for example.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 01 Oct 2014, 22:47

If this is more than a passing curiosity, I can whip up something using mtgjson to get you a list...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Oct 2014, 07:29

To be more specific I'm looking for white cards that only cast for white and no colorless. I want to see if I can maximize devotion output for my Brimaz commander deck as well as abuse light from within.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Oct 2014, 08:25

OK, so you're specifically looking for permanents, too, so Blood of the Martyr for WWW doesn't increase your devotion at all. A quick search shows no quintuple-white spells, and the only quad-white spell is Dawn Elemental, so you're just looking for W, WW, and WWW. (However, the previous caveat of lack of me being able to search for hybrid mana cost means there might be something in Lorwyn block I'm missing. I did find Divinity of Pride, Godhead of Awe, Nobilis of War, and Oversoul of Dark, which would enhance white devotion.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 02 Oct 2014, 09:30

ElFuzzy wrote:To be more specific I'm looking for white cards that only cast for white and no colorless. I want to see if I can maximize devotion output for my Brimaz commander deck as well as abuse light from within.

Well, hybrid mana won't help you here, because color identity, but other than that, I'd just search for cards that have WWW and WW in their mana cost with a cmc of less than 5 to maximize the devotion there.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 05 Oct 2014, 10:38

I am so happy right now I have to post this inane bit.
When I started playing MtGO earkier this year I tried a new player draft once.
Considering that I had no idea what I was doing I did horribly.
Just now I decided that with the knowledge I had gained since then (via TTC and LR), I'd try again.
I went 2-0. I won 5 packs, sooo happy.

My Deck
- I was in the middle of sideboarding
- Main had one less negate and pillar of light and one more midnight guard.
- I finished that sideboarding by taking out the encrust since my opponent's only real target for that was wall of limbs.

The very first pack in the draft I opened had a Genesis Hydra and a Foil Cruel Sadist ... I took a Raise the Alarm. I fought the Genesis Hydra in Game 2 of my first match and devoured it with light.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Oct 2014, 15:28

Format idea: Un-Block Constructed. Unhinged, Unglued, and Conspiracy.

God, that'd be banana sandwich, but so hilarious.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 05 Oct 2014, 15:36

Prospero101 wrote:Format idea: Un-Block Constructed. Unhinged, Unglued, and Conspiracy.

God, that'd be banana sandwich, but so hilarious.

Every time a draft is held, the person in charge would be obligated to say.

"To third pack was supposed to be Unlimited, but we couldn't find any anymore so we'll just substitute Conspiracy."
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Oct 2014, 15:45

In fairness, drafting Unlimited would be awful. There's only eight cards per pack and at least half are going to be basic lands.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Oct 2014, 15:55

And the best creature will likely be a 4/4 for 8. With downside. Kappa
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 06 Oct 2014, 03:02

A thought for everyone.

Let's say you're playing Conspiracy. You draft Lore Seeker.

What are your top 5 choices for a booster to add to the draft? Go crazy with this. (Wait. No Unhinged/Unglued, etc. Not THAT crazy.)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 06 Oct 2014, 03:39

If you get to keep the cards:

Alpha
Beta
Unlimited
Alliances
Modern Masters

Those choices are for potential value more than anything. But I also think it'd be kind of neat to have a pack that has as many cards as drafters (assuming 8-man draft). Though even without value I'd be tempted to get an older pack anyways. The power level of ABU is so wonky that you could pull a piece of power, then pass nothing but garbage and basic lands. Plus, the fact you could claim to have drafted Alpha.

If it's one of those hypothetical situations where we don't get to keep the cards anyways, then likely (in order):

Future Sight
Rise of the Eldrazi
Modern Masters
Time Spiral
Planar Chaos

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”