Kahns prerelease

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Kahns prerelease

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Sep 2014, 06:11

Kapol, you might want to report the pack situation to the DCI stores can get in big trouble for that.

Wizards provides prize support for prereleases, if they are selling that prize support, which they are doing by running extra events, then they are violating a few rules.

One of the Grand Rapids Stores got shut down because of practices like this. They were caught selling FNM foils, and giving store credit instead of prizes for prerelease. Im sure there was more going on than just that but those things get brought up from time to time about what not to do.

They can decide however they want to who gets what prizes as long as it is posted before the event is 1/3rd over? Im not sure on the timing but it has to be posted and they have to honor what they post, so if they say on facebook "the winner of this prerelease will get a Mox Ruby" because they expect that they will be getting 250 people, then only 15 show up, they still have to give out that mox ruby to the winner. Thats why most stores will say something like "prize support is 2 packs per person, and we will figure out the break down after round one"

The store I really like does 1 packs for 9th-16th and then the rest go to top 8 it was 92 packs in total 8 for 9-16 4 each for 5-8, 8 each for 3-4 and then top two got 26 I think it would have been 34/18 if we had played. The store I dont like puts everything into top 8 with the majority into top 2, they had 124 packs, 5-8 got 6 packs each, 3-4 got 10 packs each, 1st got 50 2nd got 30.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 23 Sep 2014, 16:46

The LGS I went to was stingy as hell for prize packs for Top 3. Its was like 8 for first, 5 for second, 3 for third, 2 for fourth-eighth...
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 Sep 2014, 18:15

I went Abzan and took 11th with a 2-3-0 record. No prizes for me.

For prizes, we had 14-6-4-4-2-2-2-2. Our local community has decided that they only want prizes in finals, and the shop I run events for does 1.5 prize packs per player. We had 24 players at our prerelease. I'm hoping that Fate Reforged will get an even better turnout.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Sep 2014, 18:26

The store I go to for prereleases only offers 10 packs to 1st place as well, but offers prizes a lot further down than 8th.

I did pretty unremarkably with my Jeskai deck, but I was able to turn my 3 prize packs into a draft. I went 2-1. I'm still not sure I have any clue how to draft this set.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Sep 2014, 18:47

I personally prefer having prizes trickle down. One of the reasons I went to the second place was because everyone got two packs. That, to me, is kind of what prerelease is about. It's about playing mostly for fun. People who do better do get more prizes. But everyone leaves with something. The first place I went to only did top 4 prizing. Though, to be fair, they only got a single box for prizes for 37 people playing.

And Hosk: I guess to me the idea of 'we'll give you the packs later' isn't that foreign because I've seen at least one other store that does that. It's not like you won't get the prizes. It just won't be right away. The issue for my group was just not being able to justify that long of a drive. The issue of the other prerelease prizes being used for prerelease is a big deal. But I don't know if they would have been able to provide full support even if they hadn't. I think there were a lot more issues that I didn't know about though.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 24 Sep 2014, 02:07

The place I play does 4 rounds, 2 packs for a win, 1 for a draw. Means nearly everyone will walk away with something, probably a draft set or two, and every game is live.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Sep 2014, 05:43

I would report it, dci is much like the judge, if you call and are wrong now you know and the game goes on, if you call and you are right you get that bump you thought you were getting.

If you call up to report the problem, DCI will investigate, most likely just call up and ask what happened. If they are satisfied, they will say "ok you need to explain things to your players better" If the store did something marginal they will say listen thats not a direct violation but its not good, doing things differently would be better, if they did something wrong, then they get appropriate punishment and dci will keep an eye on the store.

no matter what it only helps in the future.

It sounds like the store was trying to force people to return, maybe buying more product or just give up on prizes so they could say "everyone gets two packs look at how much better our prize support is!" without having to pay for that prize support.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 30 Sep 2014, 21:00

With the MTGO Khans Prerelease starting in a couple of days, I'm curious - who is going to be playing? Any plans for a specific clan? Will you be playing the prerelease Sealed or Draft events?
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 01 Oct 2014, 09:13

I'm going to try to get in some draft. I don't think Khans is as engaging as a sealed format, and I haven't had time to draft it in paper.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 01 Oct 2014, 20:17

I did a draft last week and I'll do another this Friday.

The draft went well (2-0-1 split) I felt like "what the hell am I even doing?" the whole time but it seems like the format might be deep enough that you can decide to be in a clan and get there.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 01 Oct 2014, 20:32

I've done three drafts of this format so far - 2-1, 3-0 and 3-0. That feels like a very impressive start so I feel like I should be pleased...

...but I still have no idea what I'm doing in this format.
Zyme
First Video: The Job

Postby Zyme » 02 Oct 2014, 11:13

This last weekend the release even was at the local shop, did fine.

I went 2-2 and 9th place (7th prized). I made no play mistakes, the deck just didn't work as hoped. In any case, I pulled a foil Mire and walked out with a net 5 bucks in my pocket after selling that fetch.
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 03 Oct 2014, 15:40

Just finished my first Khans draft on MTGO. Ended up with a solid Abzan deck with some nice synergies. Finished 2-1 losing to a Warrior deck that in game 2 (I won game 1) played 2 of the "get 3 1/1 warriors" and then a trumpet blast and the +2/+1 in the same turn, and then game 3 had both of the Warrior "lords" out, played the 3 1/1s, and then the +2/+1 to smash for the win.

As for my deck, the standouts were definitely Abzan Ascendancy and Ivorytusk Fortress, which of course combo incredibly well together. Also having a few outlast creatures, the Corps, and an Incremental Growth added to the synergy with the Elephant too. And just for some nice value I opened a foil Empty the Pits, which added in with Utter End to pay the entire 15 ticket entry.

Drigien
First Video: CheckPoint

Postby Drigien » 03 Oct 2014, 20:29

I just went 4-0 in a Sealed Friendly event with an Abzan deck, I guess that means I should move up to the Competitive events.

Most of my damage was done through flying, the Abzan Falconer was an all-star card.
Using the +1/+1 counter cards (Feat of Resistance, Incremental Growth, Azban Charm) to buff and give my creatures flight was really problematic for people.

Also notable, I tended to side-board in more removal (2x Smite the Monstrous and the Debilitating Injury) to help deal with some of the larger and problematic creatures.

Conan_Edogawa

Postby Conan_Edogawa » 05 Oct 2014, 01:28

sorry to be replying so long after it happened, but I've been lazy and haven't been to the forums in forever.

my LGS goes 5 events per prerelease, if supplies allow, so I played each clan once.

first event: midnight friday into saturday

went jeskai. seeded pack had a promo Duneblast, so I sadly don't have any jeskai promos.

the midnight event always has the best prizes, payout being based on final standings and top prize being 2 boxes iirc. I went 0-3 and dropped so I could go home and sleep, only to find out the event was 7 rounds before cutting to top 8, not 6, so if I had miraculously won every remaining round, I could've won a pack or two. I feel I made the right choice.

notable pulls: promo duneblast, anafenza, and a foil abzan ascendancy.

second, third, and fifth events: 1pm saturday, 6 pm saturday, and 6 pm sunday respectively.

went mardu, then temur, and sultai for the last one. for any event after the midnight one, it's 4 rounds even if enough people show up that it would normally go longer, and prize payout is based on win/loss record, 1 pack for 2-2, 4 for 3-1, and 10 for 4-0, so you can have more than one undefeated, and they get the same prizes. I went 3-1 for all three of those events. that said, I got nice things.

notable pulls: mardu: bloodtained mire, promo mardu ascendancy, foil bloodsoaked champion, ghostfire blade. temur: promo surrak, and it's been too long, so I forget my other good pulls. sultai: promo necropolis fiend, foil kheru lich lord, trail of mystery, polluted delta.

in one of those 4 events, I also got a see the unwritten.

fourth event: 1 pm sunday

the first event on sunday, if it happens, is 2 headed giant team sealed. I went abzan for this one, my partner going mardu (and getting wingmate roc and foil sarkhan). we went 2-2, lost round one due to a misplay, lost final round, but that final round was close.

my notable pulls: promo siege rhino, Sorin and his emblem (not in the same pack), another see the unwritten.

notable pulls from prizes: I cannot remember.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”