The Limited thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The Limited thread

Postby Kapol » 16 Sep 2014, 21:23

In mono-M15? I'd say likely 3 would be the upper limit. It's an instant-speed removal that gets rid around most threats. But it's still 5-mana, clunky, and double black. So anymore than that seems pushing it.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Oct 2014, 16:53

Okay, I'm still not getting this format really. What did I do?

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Oct 2014, 17:01

Well, it looks alright to me. Feat is more of an Abzan card, though, enabling Outlast synergy. Also, how much did Smite see play? That one I'm not sure I'd main-board, but definitely side-board, if I didn't main it.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Oct 2014, 17:37

I can't honestly say that I'm certain about Smite the Monstrous; it's certainly relevant in a lot of matchups, but not universally. I think I'm generally in the camp that I would run one mainboard but keep any more than that in the sideboard. So far, anyway; that might change as the format goes on as I get more of a handle on things.

Feat I'm also not 100% sure of. So far I've been using it in the same kind of role as God's Willing (win combat, guard against removal, etc) and it has some synergy with Ainok Bond-Kin.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2014, 17:49

I like Feat quite a bit. But from the looks of it, I'd say you're going more aggressive than anything. So I think that Smite doesn't belong. Brave The Sands also seems like it's just not what the decks wants to be doing. Same with Salt-Road Patrol, it's too defensive.

I think the biggest issue that I have with the deck would be just how few ways there are to pump your guys. Like, I would love to see Raider's Spoils in this deck. It helps push through the extra damage you'll need to finish them off. I feel like aggro needs more of that kind of pump to be relevant with how many higher-toughness creatures in this set.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Oct 2014, 18:00

I would have loved to have seen a Raider's Spoils in the draft. Maybe I passed one early in pack one when I wasn't sure where I was going? Other than that, definitely didn't see one.

I'm definitely confused, though, that you think Smite specifically doesn't belong in an aggro deck. I think that's the place that it's most at home, to stop them from dropping a big fatty in your way that stops your attack.

Brave is more of a sideboard card, because it's only really valuable in the mirror match.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2014, 18:18

I figured you hadn't seen any. My comment was more that I feel those cards are a lot more important for aggro in this limited than in past ones more than anything. I can't really say what you could have done in the draft differently because I don't know how the draft went. That's kind of the problem about discussing a draft deck; it's hard to know what options were available. So I'm mostly speaking in broader terms based on what I see.

As for Smite, I feel like the biggest hurdles for aggressive decks are the ones Smite can't hit. The 0/5 wall, the 3/4 that gains them 4 life whenever it dies, and stuff like that. Most of the stuff it hits will be a problem, but not until you've (hopefully) dealt enough damage to have them near death. Most of them will be coming down turn 5, and normally you want to be able to keep attacking through them. As a comparison, Suspension Field is more what this deck would want due to being cheaper and hitting more of the stuff aggro cares about.

Also, I agree on Brave. I would bring it in against another aggro deck without too much hesitation.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Oct 2014, 18:54

That said, Brave did allow me to press my advantage when my opponent had an empty board by attacking and then also activating outlast. But that's not something you can really rely on.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Oct 2014, 15:01

Keep an open mind on your packs, dont get locked in.

I went 2-1 2-0 2-0 in a 8-4
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 11 Oct 2014, 14:57

That is not a deck that I would personally draft with my experiences. BUt I can definitely see how it would work.

"Fight you, Fight you, Fight you."

Sadly so far my only good experinces have been with Mardu or Abzan.
The one time i drafted High Sentinels they basically closed out every game they came up in.

Alabaster Kirin has been far more annoying than I thought it would be.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2014, 15:22

So is Goblinslide complete garbage or is it just me? Like... I wouldn't want to run that card even as a 23rd in any deck I can think of. Maybe if I go heavy for Quiet Contemplation or something, but even then... it seems mediocre. You have to pay 4 mana and cast another spell before you get 1 1/1. You have to pay 6 and cast 3 other spells before you get the equivalent of 1 three-drop sorcery. That card just seems pretty awful.

I ask because I played a guy who thought his deck was just about the 'right' deck for it. Largely because he had been passed a Butcher of the Horde, 3 Mardu Charms, and a Wingmate Roc. He figured that it 'made good fuel for his Butcher.' And talked about how he could cast Mardu Charm and get an extra 1/1 for value. To me, that's not value. That's getting a relatively minor effect that doesn't really help you that much. The only reason I beat him was because he was playing a bunch of bad cards like that in his deck, so he didn't do much even though he got Butcher down turn 4 both games against me.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 11 Oct 2014, 15:36

Personally, I think Goblinslide can work in a Jeskai Quiet Contemplation deck, but that's really about all I can think of. I don't really much rate the card.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Oct 2014, 15:40

That's the only deck I can think of too, just because it's goes along with that plan already. But I don't even know if it's good in that deck.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 11 Oct 2014, 19:52

What is this.
I don't even.
Just won a single elim with this deck.
Don't ask how.

I'm still kinda stunned.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 11 Oct 2014, 20:24

3-0d (6-0 in games) with this Mardu deck. Opened a Zurgo in both packs 1 and 3, and opened the on-color fetch in pack 2. The deck worked in a fairly simple way; curve out creatures, smash face, and then finish with a Zurgo or Arrow Storm. The Bloodsoaked Champion was a bit awkward with only a handful of sources to play him on turn 1, but got a bit lucky there and had him attacking on turn 2 several times.

I did also get to "go off" a bit in the final game, playing a Zurgo on turn 5 and then after he attacked on turn 6 I got play Warshrieker into Warshrieker into Unyielding Krumar. And just noticed one of the morphs is still in the 5 drop slot, which I basically never cast it as, so the curve was slightly better than it looks.

jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 13 Oct 2014, 08:36

Khans might be my favorite draft format since MMA, not counting Conspiracy (which is always going to top the list). It's brilliantly interactive and syngeristic. I've been really enjoying Jeskai and Temur, and particularly combining the two of them. For example, take Bloodfire Expert. This is a very solid Temur three-drop. Why? Because he'll trigger every non-creature Ferocious ability you've got. Sure you can also get the 4/2 bear for 2G, but this guy seems to go a lot later so it's easier to pick up a few copies, and if you ended up heavier in red he's good to have.

I also had what my opponent called the best turn-three play he had ever seen. He went turn 1 Mardu Hateblade, turn 2 some other Mardu 2/1 (not the discard guy I don't think, but something else). I went turn 1 nada, turn 2 Seeker of the Way, turn 3 Arc Lightning, killing both his dudes, pinging him for 1, then swinging in with a 3/3 lifelink. It felt so good.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 13 Oct 2014, 15:48

My two biggest groan test cards in this format so far have been Mardu Ascendancy and Crater's Claws.

I am pleased to announce that I just beat Mardu Ascendancy with a deck running Crater's Claws.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 13 Oct 2014, 16:52

I posted this in the LRR Fandraft thread too but I streamed a draft last night and got this Temur awesomeness (link to youtube video of my draft)

I punch bears and I know it. - Click to Expand
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 16 Oct 2014, 16:31

Something feels wrong when you have 3 board wipes in a limited deck.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Oct 2014, 05:51

I drafted the 5-colour morph deck at FNM and crushed with it (2-0-1, first place in the pod)... There something about a deck where once you get to 6 or 7 mana, suddenly 1/3 of the cards in your deck are 6-drops that just causes good times. Double Secret Plans isn't too bad either.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 17 Oct 2014, 21:59

It was draft night at my LGS for FNM. I opened P1P1 Big Knucks and decided to yoloforce Temur and it actually paid off in the form of a Temur Morph deck with a ton of tempo cards in blue to lockdown and hold off my opponents. I went 3-1 losing only to an Abzan midrange that just had gross amounts of lifegain off Kheru Bloodsucker, Sultai Flayer, and Abzan Guide. He kept stalling off a kill from my Master of the Hidden Way and gained probably 20+ life in G1. In G2 he just went off as i kept drawing lands and ended up killing me with having over 50 life.

If I went beyond turn 10, I didn't win. I also was able to be lucky enough to play Knuckleblade either on/before turn 6 in all 6 of my game wins (2-0, 2-0, 0-2, 2-1). He is a limited nuclear BOMB. (It was fun also going on an Ancestral Cruise)

Sadly the guy to my right opened a pack 3 Surrak but didn't pass him even though he was drafting WB warriors. I would have KILLED for him in my deck.

Here's the deck:
Deckname-- Te-Morph feat Big Knuckz - Click to Expand
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Oct 2014, 14:33

I just went 1-2 with this deck primarily due to Hoskling interference, they cost me 3 games to distracted play and one due to time. :(
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Oct 2014, 21:37

This was my draft deck tonight, I think its good.

I mulled to 4 one game.

I went 4-0 in matches and 8-0 in games.

I got home Lady Hosk said "how did you do?" I dropped my prize packs down in front of her, which she proceeded to open while I took off my shoes and got a drink. She turned to me and said "No foil islands, you are telling me you suck and magic and you lost tonight?"

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Oct 2014, 22:10

Hosk: I think you're married to the perfect woman for you.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 16 Nov 2014, 07:32

Tonight I took a brief time out from watching Desert Bus to go draft a cube with friends... first time ever cube-drafting, and I went 3-0 :D

Here's the deck I drafted... (crossed out card is a plains I brought in over Wasteland vs a mono red deck in the last round, and forgot to take back out before I photographed the deck.)

Turns out cube is, as previously reported by others, a lot of fun, and I look forward to having the opportunity to try it again. Maybe I'll give the MtGO cube a go one of these years...

More details than you probably want to know - Click to Expand
P1P1 was Joraga Treespeaker, thought I'd go into a ramp deck. Second pick was Ajani Vengeant, just because of the power level, despite not sharing a colour with my first pick. Rest of the first pack was mostly big green things, like Genesis Wave and Prime Time, but not much other ramp. Late in pack 1 I pick up Thalia, and start considering abandoning the ramp plan for GW mono-fair... midrange consistency, aiming to play beef and attack with it while my opponent is stumbling over a overcomplicated fancy deck (aka "the Brian Wong method", for those of you who listen to Limited Resources). I'm mostly resigned to not playing Ajani, but in pack 2 I pick up Taiga and Windswepth Heath which makes me pretty sure I'll be able to splash for it, and later picking up Lightning Helix and Chandra cements that decision.

Round 1, I played a mirror match... GW mono-fair vs GW mono-fair. My opponent has some mana troubles, and also they weren't too familiar with most of these older cards so they had a lot more cards from recent sets that were good, but not quite as big as what I had. Most funpolice moment: my opponent mulls to 5 and is stuck on 2 land... I go turn 2 signet into turn 4 Acidic Slime on the play to blow up their land.

Round 2, I played mono-black splashing red. First game, he has turn 3 Dark Ritual into Mind Twist for 5 (my entire hand). Game ends pretty quickly after that thanks to a Desecration Demon. I sideboard in the Maze of Ith to deal with the demon.

R2G2, opponent plays both Desecration Demon and Phyrexian Obliterator... I'm able to Maze of Ith one of them, but the other one is hitting me quite hard. But I manage to stabilise when he attacks into my Soul of Zendikar, having forgotten it has reach, and with the help of Gavony Township it eats his Demon, and I can also block some of his other stuff leaving him with just the Obliterator, which I can deal with using the Maze without having to sacrifice anything... though that leaves him with an untapped Obliterator so I'm not particularly tempted to attack myself. But after pumping out a few beasts with the Soul, and a large Genesis Wave that reveals almost entirely land, I start attacking in with my Soul on the basis that even if he blocks with the Obliterator I have useless stuff to sac, and the game is over pretty quickly.

R2G3 ends when my opponent casts Slaughter Pact on something, then spends a few minutes taking about the rest of the turn... which was long enough to forget to pay for the Pact next turn. Unfortunate, but that's the risk you take running that spell. I leave Maze of Ith in, figuring it probably should have been in there from the start, it's a lot more useful than I thought it would be even in the deck full of beef and good blockers.

Round 3, playing against mono-red. Game 1, his deck works pretty much how you want - turn 2 Burning-tree Emissary into Shrine of Burning Rage, hits me with stuff, I stabilise with beef, but I'm forced to Acidic Slime the Shrine while he has mana up to sac it, and Hell's Thunder and some bolts finish me off. I sideboard extensively, taking out some useless and durdly stuff, like Wasteland (no targets), Prime Time, Genesis Wave, Emeria Angel and Myr Battlesphere, bringing in Moment's Peace, Ohran Viper, Krosan Grip for Shrine, a Plains (for the Wasteland) and something else I forget. Probably some generic cheap blocker.

R3G2 and G3 both went roughly the same way - early creatures start to apply pressure, but my big guys start getting in the way pretty quickly, and then Lightning Helix and Ajani start killing things and getting me life back, and it's pretty much over. Game 2 sees a Maze of Ith blanking a Hell's Thunder, and an Elspeth ultimate+1 giving me an indestructible army of tokens that is (a) growing due to Elspeth still sticking around, and (b) growing due to Gavony Township. Game 3 has be getting close to doing the same thing again and my opponent just gives up.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”