The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby empath » 12 Oct 2014, 06:21

Previously I've used images that I've found that I feel represent what I am like - something to give an insight to the person within when you already have access to my outward appearance.

...and then Jester made an offer to do pictures of people as superheroes (ala Who You Gonna Call) and I haven't looked back since, since he managed to capture both. :D
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Oct 2014, 11:19

I've had essentially 6 avatars that I've used online, this current one being very recent.

1. My face.
2. An old AIM avatar of the IM figure beaming up. (This one I don't use anymore.)
3. A stylized § on a starfield, signifying my like of Sev Trek. (This one is rare now, and I think the only major thing left is my Steam account.)
4. The American flag comm badge. This is my most common one these days.
5. The #WeAreN campaign ن symbol. When this dies down, I'm reverting back to the regular one.
6. For work-related accounts, I use an American-styled version of the company logo.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 12 Oct 2014, 16:05

Mostly my avatar's are just my face (facebook/twitter) or something I just thought was cool (here).

Interestingly, Deedles, I figured out who you were on Twitter because you had the same avatar, though a different name.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 12 Oct 2014, 16:43

korvys, as I recall you previously had some geometric avatar that seriously buggered with my perspective every time I tried to look at it. I think it was "nevermore" in the shape of a raven or something like that.

I bring this up because the way I recall you changing your avatar was someone offhandedly mentioned how to make .gifs into avatars and you were like "I HAVE TO GO." and came back with what you have now. It was quite funny.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 12 Oct 2014, 16:51

That's pretty much exactly what happened.

Yeah, the nevermore raven was my old one, because korvys is like Corvus, but spelled differently because... reasons... and Corvus is the genus of Crows/Ravens/Etc.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 12 Oct 2014, 20:12

korvys wrote:Mostly my avatar's are just my face (facebook/twitter) or something I just thought was cool (here).

Interestingly, Deedles, I figured out who you were on Twitter because you had the same avatar, though a different name.

This avatar actually started being used on my Skype account, then my Twitter and finally I added it here, for a couple of reasons. 1 being that I felt like updating, since I'd had my avatar for years, and 2. I thought that since I'm Deedles here and Nintarie on Twitter having the same avatar in both places could make me recognizable. :)
Hurp-De-Durp!
VmKid
First Video: One of the Daily Drops, I think.

Postby VmKid » 13 Oct 2014, 11:16

For a while, my avatar was an incredibly poorly-photoshopped Virtual Magic Kingdom logo (as that game's where I derived my username from).

Eventually, I started using a crash test calibration symbol for a short period of time, before moving to a "[V]" that I generated in GIMP.

Soon after that, I moved to my common "V-Cog" logo. The avatar I started using recently is the new Video Games AWESOME! mascot, Turbo Buddy, stylized to look like Chiro from that robot monkey show I'm too lazy to type the title of.
There was a computer stats image here. It's gone now. Thx, WhatPulse.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 13 Oct 2014, 11:32

My avatar is just a photoshop that took me literally a couple of minuets. I'm just too lazy to make, find, or ask someone else to make me a new one.

Plus, I don't think it's that bad.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Oct 2014, 12:05

I just use Spike. Comes with the name.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 13 Oct 2014, 16:34

It's a Lairon... because username. Usually it's just an in-game sprite, similar looking official artwork from spin-off games, or a trading card that looks particularly cool. But at time of writing, it's in "Halloween mode" / "Spoopy vision", which is just a quick 5 minute MS Paint sprite mash-up of a Lairon, Gastly, and the unidentified Lavender Tower ghost(s) from Fire Red / Leaf Green versions.

As for "why Lairon?" - A few years ago, I was involved with some small time Pokemon RP group/site (roughly 6-10 members, tops). I wanted to make a character which was my all time favourite Pokemon: Aron. But I didn't think anyone would take him seriously due to being so small and adorable, so I figured I'd make him an Aggron instead. But then we already had an Aggron in the group (who posted twice and then left. Thanks guy). So naturally, I settled for Lairon. I ended up posting a 3 out of 4 parts of a terrible fanfic series before realizing it was all kind of stupid, so I just never went back.

...maybe someday I'll write out the ending, just for closure if nothing else.

So yeah. TL;DR - matches username I obtained while roleplaying.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Oct 2014, 16:49

Lairon = Sylph Scope Ghost?
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 13 Oct 2014, 19:18

Bebop Man wrote:Lairon = Sylph Scope Ghost?

Indeed, as are all Pokemon. Or at least that's how I interpret there being one generic ghost sprite for all the various species that would be buried there. The eyes being a similar shape was a big plus also.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 15 Oct 2014, 02:32

After the weather we've been having the past couple of days, this popped up on the Blue Mountains Police Facebook page:

Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 Oct 2014, 02:45

Well, one half of Australia being on fire while the other half is underwater is not unusual. Snow on the other hand ....
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Oct 2014, 10:21

Yeah, isn't it SUMMER down there? How high are the Blue Mountains?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Oct 2014, 12:34

Isn't it Spring in the S. hemisphere, and Autumn in the Northern?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Oct 2014, 13:04

1. Yes, Bebop
2. Thank you from the depths of my heart for not referring to it as 'fall'
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 15 Oct 2014, 13:06

Judging by the weather, we've seemed to have missed Autumn and gone strait to Winter.

Or is it just me? Since I'm finding the weather to be freezing at the moment.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 15 Oct 2014, 15:17

Prospero101 wrote:Yeah, isn't it SUMMER down there? How high are the Blue Mountains?

It is indeed Spring, as Bebop said. The snow occurred because of a storm that crossed the Greater Sydney area and surrounds. Most areas were hit with heavy rain and high winds, rather than snow. I was delayed getting home on Monday, due to lightning strikes affecting the railway signalling system.

As for elevation, it depends where you are. The main strip, along the A32/Great Western Highway, ranges between around 150 and 1200m. Where I am is around 650m. It is not unusual for snow to occur above 900m (Leura, in the bottom image, is 985m), though it usually only happens a few times a year.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 16 Oct 2014, 06:37

So when I registered for the Kickstarter, I had a different forum name so can't get into the KS forums? Anyone know who I should contact?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Oct 2014, 07:24

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 16 Oct 2014, 14:24

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Judging by the weather, we've seemed to have missed Autumn and gone strait to Winter.

Or is it just me? Since I'm finding the weather to be freezing at the moment.

I had a typhoon this week so couldn't say that, but it seemed to blow the miserable heat off this island for a bit at least.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 16 Oct 2014, 19:34

For me today was the hottest day in months.

I have little frame of reference for what "Autumn" even is. Seasons always seem like they would be such a weird thing to experience.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 17 Oct 2014, 00:29

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here; Tally is a really nice person. Was feeling down about my art, so when I saw a tweet of hers on being creative I responded to it, asking how she manages to stay motivated, and got a lovely conversation out of it.

Made me realize I don't talk enough about art on here, like what I feel about my art and such, instead of just posting an image and that's it, but that's because I get defensive, and don't dare say much in conjunction with something I post.

Because honestly I feel crap about my art most of the time, but don't talk about it much, which makes me sad, because drawing is awesome and fun. So I should really change that and try to be more open.
Hurp-De-Durp!
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 17 Oct 2014, 06:12

Same here as far as art goes. I usually feel like my story writing is awkward and clunky. Seems to be a thing with creating in general.
I also don't know where to post this, so I guess it'll go here. Had a spider in my house yesterday, and this shit went beyond Shelob levels. We're talking Ungoliant herself crawled out of my couch post-maiming of Melkor (been reading the Silmarillion). Whacked it with a phone book and it laughed my attempt to kill it off.
In the end I had to drop the phone book onto it, kneel down and pull off some kind of 10,000 hit Fist of the North Star combo on the book to squash it.
I don't normally mind spiders, but there's a distinct size limit to this.

Return to “General Discussion”