The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Oct 2014, 08:26

I can't do my apprenticeship abroad. I have to complete it in Britain.
Disappointing.

But it means I have to stay in Britain for 2 years. Meaning, maybe I can make a less-emotional decision on my career?
Since who knows where everyone who I actually give a shit about will be geographically in two years?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Oct 2014, 02:49

My rugby club has just decided to up sticks and move 130 miles away from their historic home.

This is not without precedent; 12 years ago they moved to just down the road from my old hometown after being kicked out of their stadium, and now they've actually got ownership of a stadium rather than renting from another club- a massive profit-losing operation. Long-term, it's probably a good decision- the fan base will rebuild up there, despite the fact we've moved right into the sights of three other major clubs in rugby's heartland, and owning a stadium should finally help sort years of financial difficulty. The club will continue under this arrangement- possibly even thrive.

Short term? It's a punch in the gut.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 09 Oct 2014, 08:32

The day after my cat dying... I feel kinda lost today. I feel like I'm walking around in a haze and I feel like I don't want to cry and yet want to cry most of the time, but... The reason this is in the mixed emotions thread is because this noon I got a call for a job interview. It's just part-time at a grocery store, but it's something, and despite being atheist I've told myself that God gave me this chance because Lille One cuddled him into doing so, and that thought makes me smile.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Oct 2014, 11:53

I know well what it's like for your cat to die. I'm here. It will get "better". You will keep on.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 09 Oct 2014, 13:18

Thank you, and I know. I find some comfort in, even though it feels cold, that with time it will get easier. It just happened so suddenly, probably because she'd been hiding it for a long time. It wasn't difficult for her to do so since she was always a quiet, timid and lazy cat, so we didn't notice the small signs, we have no idea how long she might of been ill. At least she's no longer in pain, and went out of this world while being cuddled by me and my mother. I also find some comfort in that; Wherever she is now, she's in a better place and no longer in pain.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 09 Oct 2014, 18:33

*Offers internet hugs.*
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 09 Oct 2014, 18:46

*hugs back* Thank you, Timelady.
Hurp-De-Durp!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Oct 2014, 05:30

On one hand, I totally want to do this with my next computer build:

...on the other hand, I don't know if I'd ever sleep again, just knowing it was in the same house...
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 10 Oct 2014, 20:54

Just finished Next Gen. I'm totally crying because my period, I swear.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 13 Oct 2014, 20:14

I'm relieved that I finally finished that Top 10 list.

But the radio silence so far from the crew is sort of scary. (They were streaming by the time it was up. I really hope they like it.)
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 13 Oct 2014, 20:39

Spent today freaking out over the next two months...

... but my R code works, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Pretty graphs.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Oct 2014, 13:18

I downloaded the Lyft app yesterday. This is related to my big post in the Depression thread. Maybe it'll help me be more mobile? It seems cheap enough. Cheaper than a taxi, at any rate.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 15 Oct 2014, 20:09

Found out a friend is pregnant:

Pros:
She would probably be a good mother

Cons:
Baby daddy not her husband
She tends to suffer from bad depression/self mutilation
Obsesses about not being "Asian" pretty (she's white)
Under massive financial debt (like 2/3rds paycheck goes to school/medical)
Has tendency to quit eating
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 15 Oct 2014, 20:39

Just got a call back on probably the most promising job lead I had going... no dice. Apparently, a major factor in the decision was my "planned vacation time in November".

>_>

On the upside, I wasn't super thrilled about landing that job anyway. It would have been more of the same of what I'm already doing, which isn't super interesting / stimulating. And it's good to know I actually did something about an opportunity, instead of spending my life wondering "what if?". Silver linings and all that.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Oct 2014, 23:47

People writing baby daddy and not the baby's daddy/ father.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 26 Oct 2014, 06:22

So I have been in Kyoto almost 2 months now and gone to 2 tourist things. One because it was with the school group, the other cause it seemed interesting enough to provide me with something to shoot.

Now I've come to realise that the main reason I haven't gone to these places is because I don't feel they will give me anything useful for my portfolio because of how common they are and over photographed. However this has come to a surprise to me as before getting here I would of never considered having myself as having a photography portfolio.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Oct 2014, 06:45

Rikadyn wrote:So I have been in Kyoto almost 2 months now and gone to 2 tourist things. One because it was with the school group, the other cause it seemed interesting enough to provide me with something to shoot.

Now I've come to realise that the main reason I haven't gone to these places is because I don't feel they will give me anything useful for my portfolio because of how common they are and over photographed. However this has come to a surprise to me as before getting here I would of never considered having myself as having a photography portfolio.

Don't forget to just go somewhere because YOU would enjoy it, and damn the portfolio. :wink:
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Nov 2014, 21:19

Desert Bus is less than 3 days.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Nov 2014, 05:30

Last night was my last night at my new/kinda-first job. I'd only been there a month and a half. I realized pretty quick it wasn't for me. It was simple, kind of mindless work that I feel didn't really challenge me in any real way. I was also way under the company's (in my opinion kind of absurd) standards. Plus, I felt like there wasn't anywhere I wanted to go in the company. It was a big chain of stores like Walmart. The only real options for me were management where I was. And I don't want that.

My manager basically fired me. It would have ended up just moving to a different position, during a different shift, working an lane+customers+other stuff... starting literally the week of Black Friday with all new training and everything as I've never worked a lane. I had been planning on leaving not long after the holidays (I wanted to help the people I worked with and not force even more of a Christmas load on them). Though that would have been if I actually find another, better job. So, in the end, I decided to just leave rather than continue and quit in a few months. The decision was really hard for me though.

I had to leave behind a lot of people I really like. And I feel bad it went down so quickly. I decided to quit yesterday, the day after I'd been told as I'd asked for a day to actually think about the choice. My last day was today (managers choice, not mine). It felt really bad to say goodbye to the people who spent a lot of effort to try training me.

But what bothers me is that I feel like I was kind of set up to fail. I was going slow. But I was accurate. Then, the day before I was told I was being transferred, I was given a huge number of cases to take care of. 150 in 6 hours including lunch and breaks. The other new person who started with me got 75. I'd averaged about 100 during my eight-hour shifts. The other person got done in about 5 hours and came to help me, then started working the easier section. I worked the harder section (furniture and crafts). Heavier stuff, slower putting things out, etc. As bad as it might sound, I feel like I'm significantly better than the other person. Honestly, it just kind of feels like I was purposefully screwed over in this situation. And from what I've heard with people who worked with me (and even multiple people that didn't work with me but worked the same areas), they all that I was doing pretty well. They didn't see the numbers I put out, but they still said I was doing well.

I dunno. I'm sad to leave people I like. I'm happy to leave a job I feel was built to trap people there forever. I'm angry that I feel like I was cheated out of a job. I'm nervous if I made the right decision. I'm worried that it's going to look bad to future employers.

But on the plus side, I have the rest of the week to watch Desert Bus. So I've got that going for me.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 16 Nov 2014, 15:15

Service industry jobs aren't worth the sweat Kapol. You get something like 4 or 5 tiers of management above you and it's their job to look busy by acting busy. This often results in random decisions like dismissing the wrong employee or whatever. Always do your best but don't fret too much if you don't make it past trial period.
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 17 Nov 2014, 13:39

Dessert bus is going on which makes me super happy.

But I'm working 12 hour zeta shifts at a major online retailer's warehouse til the end of december. I get an hour or so to watch and lift my spirits before work.

I wish I could fully participate in the desert bus experience, but even knowing it's going on makes me a lot happier than I've been in a long time. Thank you chat, thank you LRR, and thank you whoever put cat ears on Pika.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 19 Nov 2014, 22:16

Horrible Bosses 2 was kinda fun but I'm getting tired of this Hangover-kind of movies. And does Jenn Aniston have a clause in every contract that requires her to show up in lingerie in everything she's in? "Surprise, she's hot" has been done to death.
empath

Postby empath » 20 Nov 2014, 04:00

Wait, what? Horrible Bosses 2?!?

Spoilers, but the first movie ended pretty much fait accompli - the loose ends are tied, there's no REASON for a sequel! :evil:
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 20 Nov 2014, 05:30

Yeah there is! We need to know everything else that happened to these three idiots after all loose ends were tied!
empath

Postby empath » 20 Nov 2014, 13:14

I think you forgot a ':roll:' at the end of that statement. :P

Return to “General Discussion”