The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Phosphatide » 16 Oct 2014, 02:20

My LGS is pretty big, so something like this excites me. This is especially true if Conspiracy FNM becomes an occasional occurrence, or even Commander FNM.

I would love to hear about a store running Vintage for FNM, though.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 16 Oct 2014, 10:16

Information on the strategy board game has been revealed at last: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/alexullman-news-10162014-more-magic-the-gathering-strategy-board-game-info-information/

My bet for the last planeswalker is on Elspeth just because that would be super rad for the reveal of who the white walker will be. Gideon would be cool too.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 16 Oct 2014, 12:05

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question about the board game: Why?
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Oct 2014, 22:47

Or

Depending on how you want to view it.

But mostly,

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 17 Oct 2014, 05:45

So last night I had a dream that I became best friends with Stanislav Cifka because he sat behind me in my Statistics class. He agreed to loan me some of his fetch lands for FNM tonight.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 17 Oct 2014, 17:54

So here's my go at G/B Constellation. Anything I should be running? using it on Game day.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-10-14 ... tellation/
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 17 Oct 2014, 19:49

RadioshackRaider wrote:So here's my go at G/B Constellation. Anything I should be running? using it on Game day.

Grim Guardian. Always run a grim guardian in a constellation deck. Trust me, they will kill your opponent faster than you will realize. Also, maybe have every permanent in that deck be an enchantment, so you're always getting triggers from constellation.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 17 Oct 2014, 20:18

chetoos wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:So here's my go at G/B Constellation. Anything I should be running? using it on Game day.

Grim Guardian. Always run a grim guardian in a constellation deck. Trust me, they will kill your opponent faster than you will realize. Also, maybe have every permanent in that deck be an enchantment, so you're always getting triggers from constellation.

I've put it in the sideboard for now. If I don't do too great, which I suspect I won't, I'll board it in for lulz.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 Oct 2014, 02:50

Who has two thumbs and just won his second Games Day champion playmat? :D

GW beefy facepunches won me Theros gameday, and now Abzan beefy facepunches has won me Khans gameday... I guess midrange, me, and newly-rotated Standard formats are a proven combination now.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 22 Oct 2014, 03:39

Is it worth trying to make a green/black reanimator deck in Standard? I like the idea of turning my graveyard into a never-ending fountain of value with things like Sidisi or Nyx Weaver, but I'm not sold on Delve as a mechanic for graveyard interaction. My instincts say that it'd be better to make a deck which pulls things out of the graveyard rather than exiles them from the game entirely; Kheru Lich Lord, Pharika's Mender, and Whip of Erebos, that sort of thing. But reanimation effects seem expensive right now (Soul of Innistrad, Dutiful Return etc) - although I have to say that my expectations are still calibrated to the days when Raise Dead cost B and Animate Dead cost 1B (and you could get a Counterspell for UU). And I'm not sure how you'd make such a deck survive until it could start sprouting things from the graveyard, given the mana costs. Is this a worthwhile idea or just too clunky in today's MTG?
It's fish in a tin!
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 22 Oct 2014, 11:29

I would consider trying to build around Endless Obedience (I used it with Pack Rat in M15 Standard for fun times with Ashen Rider). You might also use it with a cute interaction with Disciple of Deceit -- discard a six-drop, transmute for Endless Obedience.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 23 Oct 2014, 01:07

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem ... I don't like Sylvan Caryatid. I really don't like Courser of Kruphix. These are very good cards! Any competitive green deck worth its salt - and many that are only marginally green - runs four of each, along with four of the venerable and inoffensive Elvish Mystic. Which is why I don't like them - they're just incredibly dominant, almost mandatory (not to mention incredibly expensive). Which I dislike because I also have the problem that I don't like to do what everyone else is doing, I want to be a special snowflake and tap for snow mana. And that's a problem because I tend to like fat creatures, things floating around 5 mana like the delightful Keepsake Gorgon (toughness: too big to easily kill, power: functionally infinite due to deathtouch, monstrous: turn your enemies' friends into lawn ornaments).
It's fish in a tin!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Oct 2014, 01:32

I've seen an Abzan list running Endless Obedience and Whip of Erebos that seems kind of like what you were thinking of. Of course, it runs Caryatids and Coursers and is in white as well for Ashen Rider, Resolute Archangel and Siege Rhino, but that's some small evidence that it's worth considering. Big roleplayers in the deck are the aforementioned reanimation spells, Nyx Weaver and an assortment of big creatures and taking advantage of a few removal spells to keep you in the game.
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 24 Oct 2014, 17:21

Interesting proposition I have. Today I was given this.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85 ... 9d7773.jpg

So...should I crack them open? Or sell?

Keep in mind, I know it's in Japanese. It wouldn't bother me to play Japanese cards considering some of my Standard deck is already in Japanese.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Oct 2014, 17:44

CrazyMax46 wrote:Interesting proposition I have. Today I was given this.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85 ... 9d7773.jpg

So...should I crack them open? Or sell?

Keep in mind, I know it's in Japanese. It wouldn't bother me to play Japanese cards considering some of my Standard deck is already in Japanese.

Gonna go with the Cam answe and say draft with it if possible. If not, crack them and make me cry because cool Japanese commons and basics
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 24 Oct 2014, 18:16

The thought of drafting it has come up. Considering the people I play with have the set memorized by artwork.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 24 Oct 2014, 18:26

I may have started salivating a little at the thought of drafting that... If you do, I'll be with you in spirit.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Oct 2014, 18:30

Then you should definitely draft it. the people at my LGS went to GP Mancheter this year and they all drunk drafted a box of German Return to Ravnica with no problems because we had all drafted it from it's release to the release of Gatecrash.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 24 Oct 2014, 20:33

This is my favorite deck I've ever drafted in any format: http://i.imgur.com/VI9EmVK.jpg
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Oct 2014, 01:12

Is there a card that can make my opponent's creatures the creature type of my choice? I want to abuse Sliver Overlord's second ability in commander.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 Oct 2014, 03:35

I don't think so... you can do it to your own creatures, but there doesn't seem to be anything else like that. You can do it until end of turn, though (and there's a couple of other cards with similar effects).

[edit] Having actually read Sliver Overlord now, I think this might be your best bet...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Oct 2014, 09:49

Duckay did I see you jump into a queue at like 10:55 your time?

We were getting ready to fan draft at 11:00 your time and your name or one very similar popped into the queue.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Nov 2014, 08:57

I just watched the PAX Aus interview with Aaron Forsythe.

Based on what he said next block after Kahans will be a artifact combo set.

What he said

"well I can't reveal what is going to happen next but we try to keep things fresh with magic so we came out of a dual color set, into a momo colored set, into a tri-colored set I think we will be swinging the pendulum away from that in the next set"

"I really like the combo decks, where you take a few cards that are not that good on their own and then slam them together to win right there, recently we have had a lot of creature focus but I like it when its not just about "here is my three three I hit you"

Also at the PAX Prime panel one of the panelist responded to the question "are there any worlds we are going to be returning to like we did with Ravnica" and they replied we really liked Mirrodin new pherexia so we might go back there.

All though this depends on what plane tarkir turns out to be. If you notice the official planes of magic haven't been updated. They are still:
Dominaria, Kamigawa, Lorwin Shadowmore, Zendikar, Alara, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Innistrad, Theros.

[–]Graham_LRR
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 03 Nov 2014, 14:00

So following on from fate reforged we have dragons of tarkir. Colour me intruiged.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 06 Nov 2014, 07:58

So has anyone else taken to calling Treasure Cruise the Booze Cruise yet?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”