The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby CrazyMax46 » 17 Oct 2014, 23:25

Is DB Chat down for anyone else? Or is it just me?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Oct 2014, 06:46

Welp, here comes Gonzalo...at least it's weakened from Hurricane to Tropical Storm status, but an expectation of at least 30mm of rain (and at a torrential rate - 25mm/HOUR) isn't gonna be fun...

...and I gotta work right through this. :(
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Oct 2014, 06:52

It is working for me, but the chat banner is showing:
Survivor chat might be moving to bunker until after DB for DDoS mitigation reasons. This would happen on the 25th (Sat). If you are unable to connect here, connect to irc.chatspike.net, #DesertBusBunker. Don't forget to register a Twitch account for chat during the event. Email Fugi ([email protected]) w/ your current & desired name (if you can't get yours) FAQ! - http://bit.ly/1pqCA42

So that might be related
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 18 Oct 2014, 07:14

empath wrote:Welp, here comes Gonzalo...at least it's weakened from Hurricane to Tropical Storm status, but an expectation of at least 30mm of rain (and at a torrential rate - 25mm/HOUR) isn't gonna be fun...

...and I gotta work right through this. :(

...so it's a little misty. Vongfong dropped 190mm of rain on us here last monday

Edit: got my storms confused, Phanfone was the previous weeks typhoon, only dropped about 75mm of rain...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 18 Oct 2014, 07:25

Dutch guy wrote:It is working for me, but the chat banner is showing:
Survivor chat might be moving to bunker until after DB for DDoS mitigation reasons. This would happen on the 25th (Sat). If you are unable to connect here, connect to irc.chatspike.net, #DesertBusBunker. Don't forget to register a Twitch account for chat during the event. Email Fugi ([email protected]) w/ your current & desired name (if you can't get yours) FAQ! - http://bit.ly/1pqCA42

So that might be related

So...I used the web client to access DB Chat. So I may need advice on where to go from here...
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Oct 2014, 14:46

Picked up the Humble Star Wars books bundle. I'm enjoying them for the most part, but why are all the humans white? A friend pointed it out to me and now I can't un-see it.

I wonder if there's an internal mandate at Dark Horse or something.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 20 Oct 2014, 14:55

So I'm reading this article written in 1999, and I've just read this passage.

Yet by the end of the 1990s, optimists could be confident. Iraq, they could say, had been contained, South Africa had passed more painlessly than many had expected from its illiberal past, Slovenia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia Herzegovina had been separated and stabilized, and Kosovo, perhaps, would be. Cambodia had been provisionally settled, and if the war in Afghanistan and several of those in Africa had not stopped, these had had no consequence beyond their immediate vicinity. Intermittent threats from North Korea had been offset by greater caution from China, a more conciliatory government in South Korea, and negotiations, however fitful, with the United States. Relations between India and Pakistan had improved and then deteriorated, but the hostility had been largely for domestic display, and there was no open war. Israel and Palestine continued to argue over the implementation of the Oslo accords, but there was less fighting than before. Moderates had strengthened their position in Iran. The Association of South-east Asian Nations brought China into discussions in its Regional Forum and admitted Burma, Laos and Cambodia to its membership. Everyone hoped and many expected that the imbalance in the international economy at the end of the decade, whereby half the annual increase in world demand was being accounted for by private spending in the United States, would be offset by recovery in Japan and western Europe. The economic crisis in Russia persisted, but the IMF was lenient. The crises in north- and south-east Asia had not had the consequences that many feared, either in Asia itself or in the 'emerging markets' beyond; indeed, they produced a will to try to regulate the speculative activities of the hedge funds and the careless interbank lending that prompted them. There was progress in the negotiations on the terms of China's entry to the WTO. Competitive electoral politics appeared to be reasonably secure in most of Europe and Latin America, to have been strengthened in Thailand, and to be establishing themselves in Indonesia. Even those who remained critical of some of the actions of the United States could perhaps have agreed in 1999 that 'with the demise of the Cold War, virtually all the major problems that afflicted Great Power relations over the last half-century have been resolved'

Well, not that I'm being too critical but...Most of these are now problems again in 2014, with a new pile of bigger problems thrown in.

The moral of the story? Be cynical, because you're more likely to be right.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 20 Oct 2014, 15:13

Saw a couple of comments on the Hatoful Boyfriend wikipage that I thought were funny, I will omit the first one since it contained spoilers, but the reply to that comment was;
I know, the ending was so questionable,

To that I couldn't help but think "Dude, you're playing a game about dating pigeons. The whole damn thing is questionable!" :wink:

EDIT:

I've been slowly planning (slowly because my studies currently keep me occupied, and will do so til around mid December), but I still wanted to do a shout-out and see if there'd be anyone here who'd be interested in joining a text-based pen and paper(Where OOC would be done on voice chat, for better communication)? I was thinking a fantasy setting. Can't say what system I'd be using yet since I'm pondering on a few different ones, but also want to have time to look at DnD 5e before I make decision. So I know this is rather vague so far, but I'm mostly wondering who'd be interested, at all, not really making a tally for who would join and such just yet.
Hurp-De-Durp!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Oct 2014, 13:33

Nerf Now, #1404: "Obsolescence"

Yeah, Jo, and landline phones, and...
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 22 Oct 2014, 03:02

Why is sports anime so damn addictive to watch? Binge watching Kuroko's Basketball and Hajime no Ippo. It's satisfying entertainment, but I have so much work I should be doing!
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 22 Oct 2014, 05:38

You're Australian aren't you? Perhaps it's just part of your DNA that you must like anything about sport, even anime sport!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 22 Oct 2014, 05:59

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:You're Australian aren't you? Perhaps it's just part of your DNA that you must like anything about sport, even anime sport!

Hahaha it must be something in our water :P
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Deedles

Postby Deedles » 22 Oct 2014, 14:21

Reading through a list of latin words to find a good surname for a Harry Potter character and finding that this is quite interesting/educational.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 22 Oct 2014, 14:40

Latin is a dead language.

e.g. When was the last time I used Latin? Me, my mum, my neighbour et al. never use Latin, since we're not lawyers, and even if we did need a lawyer-ry term, we'd just think of an Ad hoc phrase. Of course, not that we've ever used lawyer words, per se, because to us, lawyers are persona non grata.

In short, why do we need Latin, it's dead, it's not used, it's just redundant etc.

Oh, and why not use "Wedgewood" as a surname?

Because it's a pottery maker...so it kinda fits in with "Potter"...because, Wedgewood is a potter...and stuff.

Deedles

Postby Deedles » 22 Oct 2014, 14:51

Ok? I wasn't really advocating the revival of Latin, I just remembered that JK Rowling used it a lot herself when making names for several characters.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 22 Oct 2014, 15:09

Yeah I know, I was just posting a joky post about how much we use Latin in everyday English language.

There is a movement here to get Latin back on the curriculum. Which I think is a good idea, since it's likely to improve English standards if people are able to understand the origin of words.

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 22 Oct 2014, 15:12

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:There is a movement here to get Latin back on the curriculum.

Ba dum tss.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 22 Oct 2014, 15:13

I can definitely agree with that. I think there at least should be an option to learn about it(other than self-studying).
Hurp-De-Durp!
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 22 Oct 2014, 17:30

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Yeah I know, I was just posting a joky post about how much we use Latin in everyday English language.

There is a movement here to get Latin back on the curriculum. Which I think is a good idea, since it's likely to improve English standards if people are able to understand the origin of words.

But not THAT many English words come from Latin. Not as much as any romance language out there anyway.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 22 Oct 2014, 17:39

True, but it's a good start, plus it may help kids learn other romance languages.

Since learning a foreign language at school is not compulsory in most cases, and when it is, it's really poorly taught.

'Cause you know, the whole "everyone speaks English in the world, why learn another language?" thing.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Oct 2014, 18:34

By that logic we should be learning German as well.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 22 Oct 2014, 19:43

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:True, but it's a good start, plus it may help kids learn other romance languages.

Since learning a foreign language at school is not compulsory in most cases, and when it is, it's really poorly taught.

'Cause you know, the whole "everyone speaks English in the world, why learn another language?" thing.

People always underestimate other languages that are not English but the fact of the matter is my employer hired me because I knew how to read and speak french (as well as English and Spanish). So learning other languages does help.
Latin... I don't know.
My sister knows how to speak latin and write it too and I don't think it did much for her.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 22 Oct 2014, 20:01

Lord Chrusher wrote:By that logic we should be learning German as well.

I don't know if you SHOULD but it'd be easier.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Oct 2014, 00:44

viscomica wrote:People always underestimate other languages that are not English but the fact of the matter is my employer hired me because I knew how to read and speak french (as well as English and Spanish). So learning other languages does help.
Latin... I don't know.
My sister knows how to speak latin and write it too and I don't think it did much for her.

I'm not talking about learning it as a fluent language, more of just learning the basics and the history behind it.

You could even do it as a part of history when learning about the Romans. Although I can't remember if the Romans are still part of the national curriculum, but I don't know a school that hasn't done a bit of Roman history.

Lord Chrusher wrote:By that logic we should be learning German as well.

I think we probably should. Heck, I think there should be a real effort to try and get kids to speak *any* second language.

All my non-British friends can speak English to a very good degree, as well as their own language. Most of my British friends can't speak another language, and the few that can, only a couple can do it to a good level.

CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 23 Oct 2014, 01:12

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:I think we probably should. Heck, I think there should be a real effort to try and get kids to speak *any* second language.

Henning Wehn:
It's good how proud the British are, when they get out one or two words of a foreign language.

Ironically said on the BBC.

Return to “General Discussion”