TTC - FNM Changes and Q&A

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - FNM Changes and Q&A

Postby Graham » 24 Oct 2014, 11:53

Join Graham, Kathleen, James and Alex this week as they chat about the upcoming changes to FNM and take your questions from Twitter.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Re: TTC - FNM Changes and Q&A

Postby Eric the Orange » 24 Oct 2014, 13:19

not cutting the interrupting bit out of the podcast, so unprofessional guys.
lrrFRUMP
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 24 Oct 2014, 13:40

Judge! Er I mean, editor!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Oct 2014, 19:40

I forgot :(
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 24 Oct 2014, 19:47

Next time just make sure the puppy gets on camera and no one will complain :)
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 24 Oct 2014, 20:39

I don't think any of you count as Vorthos.
I sure enjoy watching LRR!

I wouldn't want to meet them though. I'm very allergic to cats and fun.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 25 Oct 2014, 09:20

Yeah in the story Teferi is a planeswalker I believe.

Rofellos as green planeswalker commander it would make sense

You guys should really embrace the competitive side of edh. Smashing everyone with combo animar is so much fun.
^( " )^
winner!
Jollyskull
First Video: 1337

Postby Jollyskull » 25 Oct 2014, 10:28

Alex, deathlace could save your creature from terror or toher black kill spells.
Jollyskull
First Video: 1337

Postby Jollyskull » 25 Oct 2014, 11:47

Graham Promethues is a Titan. The maker of man and giving us fire.
iceaxe852
First Video: Friday Nights Series

Postby iceaxe852 » 25 Oct 2014, 18:58

Hushwing Gryff doesn't necessarily stop Siege Rhino, but it does stop the 6 point life swing when it enters.
swilensk
First Video: Friday Nights: The Return

Postby swilensk » 25 Oct 2014, 19:44

It's really strange that a lot of people really do not like the banners, but the obelisks were really good in Alara, even though the draw a card ability makes the banners really good. I guess it must be that with morph in the set, turn three becomes so much more important?
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 26 Oct 2014, 08:12

The black planeswalker in the new commander product could also be Phage.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 26 Oct 2014, 08:50

Phage and Jeska are the exact same person. Though Jeska would be an interesting red planeswalker. She was, in fact, a planeswalker. (As was Teferi. The LRR crew must hand in their Vorthos cards now for that massive fail. The reason he has a card in Time Spiral was that, as the star of the block, he was the first Old Walker to sacrifice his spark to heal the time rifts over Dominaria.)

And yeah, given this article that they put up, we might see the Lithomancer in the upcoming commander decks.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 Oct 2014, 19:01

swilensk wrote:It's really strange that a lot of people really do not like the banners, but the obelisks were really good in Alara, even though the draw a card ability makes the banners really good. I guess it must be that with morph in the set, turn three becomes so much more important?

The issue with the banners is that Morph obsoletes them. On turn 3, I want to play a Morph. On Turn 4, I want to play a Morph, a 4-drop creature, or pump up my creatures. On 5, I want to either use spells to pump my creatures, or start unmorphing them. The banners sidetrack my plan and let my opponent pull ahead by one cards' worth of advantage because I took a turn off of affecting the board.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 27 Oct 2014, 05:30

But that's precisely why the banners aren't that bad. You want to hit 5 mana early for the scary morphs. If you have a couple of 2-drops they get better, because you can play your 2 before your opponent plays their morph and you can put down the banner and another 2-drop on turn 4 after playing your morph on turn 3. On turn 4 your 2-drops can usually trade with morphs, you get your fixing and ramp for turn 5.

I think the bad rep the banners get is mostly down to the idea that you would play it turn 3. But I think the correct sequence is to play it on 4 with another creature. Because you are playing a lot of colors, the fixing is relevant and a lot of decks want 17.5 lands really, which is pretty much what 17 and a banner gives you - if you flood you can cycle the banner for 6, which isn't that bad if you have no other plays...

On the Xlace cycle in 4th Ed.: A lot of relevant cards cared about color. You had COPs in white, so something like a deathlace could get a burn spell through COPR for instance. Then there were quite a few creatures with protection and you had a few other color hosers, including enchantments that had an activated ability countering a spell of a particular color. I guess it was mostly sideboard material if you were in a color your opponent had a hoser to.

FNM changes: I was at an A:NR tournament and talked to my FLGS about having a 2HG backdraft. This led to some interesting discussions (I think it's a good idea to P1P1 Sarkhan and then mostly stick to unplayable red cards and trying to avoid fixing for red, over passing him and hoping that it ends up in my pile). Khans in general is an intersting set for backdraft, because there's so much fixing and so many playables. And morph makes it even harder. If I can get 7 other people to go for it, it might be possible.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 27 Oct 2014, 15:42

In general in this format, I've been preferring 18 lands over 17 and a banner. I have played with the banners a couple of time, but I've just not been that happy with them. No matter what turn you can play them on, it's either disruptive to the curve (turn 4 + a 2 drop is the ideal situation, but that's still not optimal) or comes down too late to do its job (to smooth your mana).
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 27 Oct 2014, 23:43

Hey, Wizardchat got mentioned! Me and Nick should really have you as a guest on the Wizardchat podcast one of these days, Kathleen :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 30 Oct 2014, 08:12

Listening to this podcast again, I went hunting for the spoilers. Pleasantly surprised that the White Planeswalker is the Stoneforge Mystic. I used to enjoy a equipment deck with her, so the white Commander 2014 deck could be a lot of fun for me.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 01 Nov 2014, 06:01

I'm hoping that our hosts will discuss the commander decks in detail now they've all been spoiled. :)
It's fish in a tin!
dddeannn
First Video: FNM Changes

Postby dddeannn » 06 Nov 2014, 17:18

Alex I love the treasure cruise song if you are thinking about the penguin race from mario 64. Skip to 0:22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S858wXaD2pk

Return to “TapTapConcede”