Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Golldum
First Video: Hot & Saucey

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby Golldum » 24 Oct 2014, 21:20

Deck name: Pureblood Heartless

Heartless hidetsugu commander
all cards that double damage of a source (eg. dictate of the twin gods)+
card draw and looting+
mana rocks

the goal: kill all players in one turn

any suggestions?
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Oct 2014, 22:34

Golldum wrote:Deck name: Pureblood Heartless

Heartless hidetsugu commander
all cards that double damage of a source (eg. dictate of the twin gods)+
card draw and looting+
mana rocks

the goal: kill all players in one turn

any suggestions?

Go back a few pages. I built a deck with the same basic idea and it was figured out how to do it.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 28 Oct 2014, 00:22

Does anyone have thoughts on the Commander 2014 previews released so far? (link here)
Planeswalkers as Commanders seems like a no-brainer, but I'm interested in the way they've designed these specific commanders - they seem more designed for the long game rather than instant blow-outs, power-wise. Freyalise and Ob Nixilis don't give you emblems which do stuff, and while Teferi does, it's a highly situational emblem that I don't think works very well with Teferi himself. To get maximum value from Teferi it seems like you'd need other (necessarily mono-blue, if Teferi is your commander) planeswalkers. Looking at the list of blue planeswalkers, they don't seem all that synergistic with it either.
The interesting thing about Freyalise and Ob Nixilis not giving tokens is that, if you get an emblem from Teferi, his ultimate then becomes something you're not going to cast for the rest of the game; whereas the other two are useful, hand-refilling abilities you'll pretty much want to use as often as possible.
On the other hand, Freyalise's other abilities are entirely situational. About the earliest you could cast her would be turn three (with a pair of Elvish Mystics helping) at which point her Elvish Mystic generating ability seems a little lackluster; even more so if you cast her on turn five. Her -2 ability is very useful - since it basically reads "I explode your combo" - but, again, situational.
For Ob Nixilis, his -2 ability seems like something you don't want to cast unless you have to; I'd expect to see him going +2, +2, +2, -8, over and over again. Though I guess on the other hand if you cast Ob Nixilis on turn five and then immediately -2 him, you've essentially got a 5/5 flyer for 3BB and 2 life - which is very nicely costed, particularly in black. It's interesting that the art on this Ob Nixilis is a dude and not a demon - I'm not sure what's going on there.
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Oct 2014, 00:44

I'm loving the black deck. The full list got spoiled on 4chan and it looks amazing. I need 10
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 28 Oct 2014, 00:54

RadioshackRaider wrote:I'm loving the black deck. The full list got spoiled on 4chan and it looks amazing. I need 10

Why ten? Four will get you a playset of everything in it.

On second thought, Freyalise's +2 ... actually, on third thought, Freyalise's +2 ability doesn't work with mono-green Devotion, since the token creatures it makes don't have casting costs. But I guess you can use it to make some really big hydras, so there's that?
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Oct 2014, 01:09

I pretty much only play commander, and I'm gonna end up with 32 commander decks once they make 4 colour legends so buying 10 seems like a good idea
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 28 Oct 2014, 04:04

RadioshackRaider wrote:I pretty much only play commander, and I'm gonna end up with 32 commander decks once they make 4 colour legends so buying 10 seems like a good idea

"Once" they make four-colour legends? You might have to wait a while ...
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Oct 2014, 05:10

Tinfish wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:I pretty much only play commander, and I'm gonna end up with 32 commander decks once they make 4 colour legends so buying 10 seems like a good idea

"Once" they make four-colour legends? You might have to wait a while ...

Well they did consider it for this year's Commander decks, but upon seeing that mono-coloured decks were popular, they went with those instead
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 28 Oct 2014, 06:07

i'm back to the forums! lol, what all have i missed. did jer actually ever post his diochan deck?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Oct 2014, 12:16

I have to say, I'm really, really excited about the way the red Commander 2014 deck is shaping up. Red metalcraft was my first ever deck, so that has a soft spot for me already. And the fact that it's more likely than not the deck getting a Wurmcoil Engine certainly doesn't hurt.

The hard part will be picking whether to use Feldon or Daretti for any given game.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 29 Oct 2014, 13:14

Nahiri kind of speaks to the aggro player in me, personally. Oh, but I'm probably going to buy the red and black decks as well.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 29 Oct 2014, 13:18

Okay, So I'm looking through the spoiler list for Commander 2014 and I see Reef Worm. It's kind of a silly card so I chuckle and continue on with my day. About 20 minutes later, it clicks, and I bust a gut laughing. The spell is literally "Summon Bigger Fish".

I wanted to tell someone right away, but almost no one I know would get it, so I thought I would share here.

Edited to add: So far the black cards looks like they will be utterly filthy in my Kresh the Bloodbraided deck, as does some of the red. I'm kinda not impressed with green so far. Titania looks good, but she'll only really work in decks with stuff like Crucible of worlds, and those are already OP. Wave of vitriol also seems like a really crappy Balance, or just a way for budget deck to equalize with really expensive manabases. Nahiri and a lot of white stuff shown will have a great home in my Esper artifact commander deck.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Oct 2014, 13:28

unknowngamer wrote:Okay, So I'm looking through the spoiler list for Commander 2014 and I see Reef Worm. It's kind of a silly card so I chuckle and continue on with my day. About 20 minutes later, it clicks, and I bust a gut laughing. The spell is literally "Summon Bigger Fish".

That was were my mind went pretty quickly too. Even if it wasn't a good card I'd probably keep it in a deck purely so I can make that joke every time it comes out.

I wrote a book!
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 29 Oct 2014, 15:28

Daretti seems like an ... interesting commander. I have no idea if he's good, or how good he is. He seems kinda insane in a good way? I'd like to play him I guess. But I think my allegiance here belongs to Nahiri. I've never really mucked about with equipment before ... but I want to try.
It's fish in a tin!
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 29 Oct 2014, 20:49

First part of a bad idea was completed today.

Step 1: Acquire Karona.
Step 2: fill it with 5 color bestow
Step 3: get the new equipment from the next Commander set.
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 30 Oct 2014, 00:00

Now that all five planeswalker-commanders have been previewed, I really want the rest of the previews to be out so someone more knowledgeable than me (such as our gracious hosts) can tell us what they're supposed to be doing. I like green and blue, but Freyalise and Teferi seem kinda underwhelming ... Ob Nixilis seems solid, but he's solid like a potato. Full of starch and boredom. The ones that immediately excite me - Daretti and Nahiri - I want to know more about the decks they're in, see what synergy is in there.
It's fish in a tin!
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 31 Oct 2014, 06:27

Tinfish wrote:Now that all five planeswalker-commanders have been previewed, I really want the rest of the previews to be out so someone more knowledgeable than me (such as our gracious hosts) can tell us what they're supposed to be doing. I like green and blue, but Freyalise and Teferi seem kinda underwhelming ... Ob Nixilis seems solid, but he's solid like a potato. Full of starch and boredom. The ones that immediately excite me - Daretti and Nahiri - I want to know more about the decks they're in, see what synergy is in there.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the- ... commanders

than check out my thread in Salvation
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 31 Oct 2014, 13:57

So, full decklists are out. I already had a red one preordered before spoilers started, but man, am I glad I did. It's exactly the kind of deck I want to play, has a ton of cards that'll work well in my already existing decks, and just all around looks like a ton of fun. Also doesn't hurt that it seems to have the most expensive cards.

I wrote a book!
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 31 Oct 2014, 16:18

I have to say, I'm really loving the white deck. If I was still in the game, I would definitely picking that one up. This is one of my favorite archtypes!
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 31 Oct 2014, 18:02

I'm quite enthused by the white, red, and green ones, now I've read the decklists - though I think there may be a better mono-green commander for an elf deck than Freyalise. She does remain a little underwhelming, even in an elf-pump deck. In the red deck, some of the artifacts seem a little underwhelming, but the deck itself seems like a lot of fun. And the white deck is just all the tokens, all the time.

Hmm. I wonder if you could get Rhys the Redeemed and squash the white and green decks into mega-elf-spam?
It's fish in a tin!
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 01 Nov 2014, 03:00

So I ordered a couple cards for my Narset deck, and I am tentatively calling it finished for now. There are still two cards on the way for it, Rhystic Study and Aggravated Assault, but first tests indicate this deck is really fun.

Code: Select all

//Commander
1 Narset, Enlightened Master

//Lands
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Garrison
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Forbidding Watchtower
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Ghitu Encampment
1 Homeward Path
8 Island
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Izzet Guildgate
5 Mountain
1 Mystic Monastery
9 Plains
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Tranquil Cove
1 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
1 Aqueous Form
1 Argivian Find
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Blind Obedience
1 Boulderfall
1 Brainstorm
1 Call the Skybreaker
1 Cleansing Meditation
1 Coat of Arms
1 Condemn
1 Conqueror's Pledge
1 Counterbalance
1 Crypsis
1 Crystal Ball
1 Darksteel Plate
1 Devouring Light
1 Divination
1 Dovescape
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Ephara's Enlightenment
1 Erase
1 Eyes of the Watcher
1 Feat of Resistance
1 Fireshrieker
1 Gift of Immortality
1 Goblinslide
1 Haunted Plate Mail
1 Homing Lightning
1 Hordeling Outburst
1 Ignite Memories
1 Increasing Devotion
1 Inferno Fist
1 Intangible Virtue
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Jeskai Banner
1 Jeskai Charm
1 Kill Shot
1 Kiora's Dismissal
1 Marked by Honor
1 Mass Calcify
1 Master the Way
1 Moment of Heroism
1 Pillar of Light
1 Plea for Guidance
1 Pull from the Deep
1 Quiet Contemplation
1 Rousing of Souls
1 Sanctified Charge
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
1 Scourge of the Nobilis
1 Seize the Day
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Spare from Evil
1 Spectra Ward
1 Steel of the Godhead
1 Storm Herd
1 Suspension Field
1 Taigam's Scheming
1 Winterflame
1 World at War
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 03 Nov 2014, 09:58

How "fun" of a format is EDH at LRR and how do you define fun?
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 06 Nov 2014, 00:58

While looking through my binder, which was full of cards that were originally in my various commander decks before I replaced them with something else or foiled them out, or cards I'd opened that I never found a home for in my existing decks, I realized that I had enough cards lying around that I could probably put together a halfway decent Temur deck.

So I did just that. Apart from the basic land (my brain insists that basic lands in my commander decks all have different artwork, and be shiny or full-art), I have not and indeed, will not be blinging this deck out except incidentally as I happen upon things or shift cards from other decks, as doing so would violate the theme of "cards I had lying around". I should probably have a "stop buying all these foil versions of perfectly good cards you already own" intervention, but I've dodged that bullet this time, huzzah!
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 08 Nov 2014, 02:30

My LGS is running a Commander league event using the premade decks this November, today was the first day. I picked the white deck (I was tossing up between white and green, and went white largely because I prefer Nahiri to Freyalise). It took about an hour and a half for enough people to collect to fire up the game, unfortunately - there's two MTG stores in Christchurch and I go to the less competitive/hardcore one - but eventually we managed to get five people together, one of each colour. It was my first time playing Commander, and I have to say, it was a lot of fun.

I lost count of the number of times the board got wiped by various effects - once, unfortunately, by the red player's Steel Hellkite while my Nomad's Assembly was Rebounding. I'd managed to cast Deploy to the Front for seventeen, then Nomad's Assembly for twenty-six, and I was looking forward to making a truly obscene number of Kor Soldiers ... but it was not to be. Another time, I'd managed to get Cathar Crusade and Sacred Mesa pumping out increasingly large pegasi ... it seems that the white deck can snowball into "obvious threat" territory really fast, but not quite fast enough.

The game ground down into attrition, with the black and green players left (the red and blue players having milled themselves out) ... finally the green player cast Whirlwhind, and in response the black player pumped his Pestilence Demon for twenty, clearing the board. The next turn I was able to make a Kor Soldier with Nahiri, skull clamp it, and draw Serra Avatar and Assault Suit. Suited up, my Avatar hit for twenty-eight, with double strike thanks to a handy Silverblade Paladin, and I won the game. :)

Other highlights included Nahiri being turned into a Forest twice with Song of the Dryads (I cast Oblation to get rid of it the first time), being bounced three times by the blue player, and casting Condemn on my own Kemba, Kha Regent (turned facedown due to Ixidron) voltronned up with Strata Scythe, Masterwork of Ingenuity copying the Strata Scythe, Stoneforged Blade, and Loxodon Warhammer ... so that the blue player would only gain twenty-seven life from it instead of sixty.
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Nov 2014, 09:57

So I'm currently waiting until I can get an empty the Pits in order to build my Sulti deck, and was wondering about the Temur deck I'm going to build and what I want it to do. Any suggestions? I want it to be a litte Zendikar-ish since that seems like a good plane for RUG.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”