Siblings

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

How many siblings do you have?

11%
45%
24%
12%
4%
3%
1%
No votes
No votes
9+
No votes

Total votes: 105
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: Siblings

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Oct 2014, 01:57

I have a younger brother.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 29 Oct 2014, 05:25

One younger sister.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 29 Oct 2014, 06:01

A little sister. She's six years younger than I am.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Oct 2014, 09:24

I have one brother, who is a year and a half older. We've always been quite close and shared most of our interests, as well as having the same social circle throughout our entire childhoods.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 29 Oct 2014, 17:30

One younger brother for me.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 30 Oct 2014, 00:19

I don't count step-siblings...especially when I haven't met them.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Viking_Sleyheron
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Viking_Sleyheron » 30 Oct 2014, 05:19

1 younger sister.
My parents and all of my grandparents also had 1 sibling, though my maternal grandmothers brother died very early.... must be a 20'th century tradition in our family.
I HATE those stupid birds!

Vir prudent non contraventum mingit!
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 30 Oct 2014, 06:57

One half-sister, who's enough older than me so that her youngest kid is learning to drive right now which is not making me feel old at all. :D
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Nov 2014, 19:00

One identical twin brother, one older sister.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 02 Nov 2014, 06:49

Does anyone think the presence of siblings or lack thereof meaningfully affected their world view? Like do any only children feel more in tune with individualism than those with siblings around them, etc?
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Nov 2014, 09:22

No.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 02 Nov 2014, 17:24

I have a sister 6 years younger than me, and a half-brother 21 years younger than me (a long story, but I'm sure you can guess all the major plot points...).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Nov 2014, 18:57

I have something similar, my little brother is 22 years younger (writing that now is scary), my two other sisters are 17 and 18 years younger while my other sister is 1 year younger.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Nov 2014, 19:34

Shandi wrote:Does anyone think the presence of siblings or lack thereof meaningfully affected their world view? Like do any only children feel more in tune with individualism than those with siblings around them, etc?
The absence of siblings may have contributed to my mindset being what it is today.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Nov 2014, 20:20

Shandi wrote:Does anyone think the presence of siblings or lack thereof meaningfully affected their world view? Like do any only children feel more in tune with individualism than those with siblings around them, etc?

Broadly speaking, I've found a) only children to share certain similarities and b) first-borns to share certain similarities.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 02 Nov 2014, 20:50

I think of myself as having two siblings, as I grew up with a half-sister four years younger than me, and a half-brother five years younger than me. Technically speaking, however, I also have two step-sisters and at least one half-sister, none of whom I have ever met.
Shandi

Postby Shandi » 02 Nov 2014, 22:10

I grew up with one three-years-older sister. My mom also still runs to this day a daycare in the home where I grew up. I defined myself a lot as being very different from my sister, and by the time I was school aged I was surrounded by younger children who looked up to me. I wonder now if my self-image relies too heavily on me in relation to others.
I have a 16-years-younger brother now too, who is my world.
And a couple half siblings I have never met.

This is why I'm LOL!

-Shandi
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 03 Nov 2014, 08:27

Does anyone think the presence of siblings or lack thereof meaningfully affected their world view? Like do any only children feel more in tune with individualism than those with siblings around them, etc?

I have no siblings and it's really hard to say. As an "only child" I've had a lot of people say stuff like "You must really be glad you don't have any siblings! You don't have to share anything!" or "Don't you ever get lonely without siblings?" To those people I say what I've always said: I have no idea, I don't know the alternative. I'm perhaps more selfish than I might have been, I'm very possessive of things and I get pretty aggressive if anyone wants to take them from me. I'm not the best at sharing.

Statistically, I don't think we would've gotten along if I did have siblings. Sometimes I watch my boyfriend interact with his brother though and I wonder if it might've been nice to have someone who shared my experiences. Might've made the grown-ups vs. kids conflicts a little less one-sided.
SplitDemonIdentity
First Video: Ways to Hide a Body

Postby SplitDemonIdentity » 09 Nov 2014, 00:42

I have five brothers all of which are younger than me {although three are bigger than me} with the oldest of the lot being year younger than me and the youngest being eleven years younger than me.

I quite like them, they are lovely and we're all giant nerds together.
An artist is sad when he gets nothing for his work, but he is sadder when his art gets thrown off of the Empire State Building.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 09 Nov 2014, 20:06

I have 3 brothers, although my father remarried about a year ago and his wife has two children of her own, so if they count, I have 5 brothers. I don't really consider them my siblings, though. I didn't grow up around them (or them around me) and I've met them only once. If we lived in the same country, that would be different, mind you.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 10 Nov 2014, 17:02

I've one brother, two years younger than me. We used to absolutely loath each other, but now we've come full circle and are basically best buds. We tend to bond over good (and bad) movies, PC games, music and general weirdness. We somehow put up with each other's bullshit. I don't know how he deals with me. We make a good team regardless.
Tzimisce
First Video: it's magic

Postby Tzimisce » 10 Nov 2014, 21:31

I have a younger brother and sister.
I am Tzimisce.
I am incredibly warped and Twisted...
Would you like to be, too?
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
http://www.gofundme.com/gzmie4
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 11 Nov 2014, 00:01

While I've chimed in on the poll, I haven't chimed in here...

I'm the older-middle child of my family as I have an older brother, younger sister & a younger brother... all paced about 2 years apart (give or take 6 months).

Having siblings is a mixed blessing. There's a few times when you want to tear each others throats out, but there's other times when you can really get along. There's always some level of sharing, but you learn to be patient & how to compromise to keep some level of harmony.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Nov 2014, 07:11

In my experience the number of siblings in the home tends to heavily influence a persons sense of personal importance.

Single children and youngest children in families with 3 or more children tend to have a strong "im important" outlook on life.

I have also found that eldest children tend to have a alpha/dominant personality.

On another side, Does "favored child" seem to exist to people?

In my family the concept of "I love my children equally" was very strong, my cousins were the same way.

However my best friends parents most defiantly favored his eldest sister (three boys three girls) She had her own room in a four bedroom home where the three boys had to share and the younger two girls shared, as one example.

Similarly my in-laws strongly play favorites, my wife's younger brother was their favored child and still is, my wife and her sister were told they could move out as her sister did or in my wife's case started to pay rent when they turned 18, their younger brother however lived at home until he was 24, never paid rent and when he turned 17 the family bought a second car and he was "given" the old one. On a similar note they absolutely favor my eldest daughter, she gets more gifts for birthdays and Christmas and they criticize Lady Hosk and I for not controlling the Littler Lady Hosks behavior even when she is clearly copying Little Lady Hosk. Last time they visited they even asked if they could take Little Lady Hosk out for ice cream after dinner and when we suggested they take both of the older ones they said "no we dont want to go with both, Littler lady hosk is too much of a hassle" then told little lady hosk that "her mommy and daddy told them that they couldn't take her out for ice cream." Which we corrected, and explained that it wouldnt be fair if they only took her and not her sister, which little lady hosk thought was fine but didnt understand why they wouldn't just take both of them.

When we bring this up to them individually or together they respond "well why should we treat them all equally, they are different children and little lady hosk is just better behaved" or something along those lines. They even once said "little lady hosk is clearly not very smart she isnt potty trained yet" when she was less than 2 years old.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Shandi

Postby Shandi » 13 Nov 2014, 11:42

That's super interesting, Lord Hosk. I can definitely say I have observed strong favoured-child scenarios. In the strongest case I know of, the siblings get along great now as adults, and the less favoured brother has achieved much success in spite of his parents' less than fair treatment.
However, my sister and I have never gotten along very well. She wasn't very nice to me most of the time growing up and I never understood why, but my mother has since told me that while she didn't favour either child, our extended family was kind of more excited about the younger kid and harder on my sister. I wonder if as a child, she resented me for that, and maybe that's why we didn't have a better relationship.

This is why I'm LOL!

-Shandi

Return to “General Discussion”