Canada queation

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Canada queation

Postby asteriskreaper » 01 Nov 2014, 19:40

So, I'm thinking of moving to Seattle or straight out up to Canada. how is Victoria?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Canada queation

Postby Matt » 01 Nov 2014, 20:40

Small. Pretty. A little boring. Somewhat secluded and tough/expensive to leave if you like to travel out of the city very often.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Nov 2014, 20:53

Also worth noting that if you currently live in the US, it'll be far, far easier to move within the country than internationally. Though I'm certainly not one to ever discourage someone from moving to BC.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 02 Nov 2014, 06:07

Jamfalcon wrote:Also worth noting that if you currently live in the US, it'll be far, far easier to move within the country than internationally. Though I'm certainly not one to ever discourage someone from moving to BC.

well maybe ill just move to seattle. how much is it for the ferry from seattle to victoria, round trip?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 Nov 2014, 09:07

In the $100-$150 range.

I wrote a book!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Nov 2014, 12:27

I'd go with "beautiful" over "pretty". I love living here so much.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Nov 2014, 12:34

And here we see the difference between the guy who lives there and the guy who moved away ;)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 02 Nov 2014, 13:11

I read recently that US citizens that live in other countries are still taxed as normal by the US government, unless they renounce their US citizenship. Based on that alone, you may find moving to Seattle more cost-effective than moving to Victoria. =P

The ferry is one way to get from Seattle to Victoria, and there's also the option of taking a plane that will land right in the inner harbour. Looking it up now, it appears to be about twice the cost of the ferry (depending on the day), but means about a 45 minute flight instead of a nearly three hour ferry trip. Could be worth it if your plan is to vacation here for a couple of days a year.
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 02 Nov 2014, 19:18

Atifexe wrote:I read recently that US citizens that live in other countries are still taxed as normal by the US government, unless they renounce their US citizenship. Based on that alone, you may find moving to Seattle more cost-effective than moving to Victoria. =P

The ferry is one way to get from Seattle to Victoria, and there's also the option of taking a plane that will land right in the inner harbour. Looking it up now, it appears to be about twice the cost of the ferry (depending on the day), but means about a 45 minute flight instead of a nearly three hour ferry trip. Could be worth it if your plan is to vacation here for a couple of days a year.

what if I bought a boat? like a speed boat or something?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Nov 2014, 19:32

Its also incredibly difficult to emigrate to Canada from the US. It can take more than a decade and require thousands of dollars and a marriage to a citizen or a corporation willing to sponsor you.

Many Americans mistakenly believe that they can "move to Canada" in the same way that they could "move to California"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Nov 2014, 20:13

It can be significantly easier to emigrate to Canada or to the United States at least temporally if you have a job lined up before you leave your country of origin. For example, if I was offered a job at an American university working as an astrophysicist it should be relatively easy for me to then obtain a temporary work visa to the United States.

Sadly, the United States can be rather unfriendly to people who are not American (and even to Americans living outside the United States). I think it should be easier for Canadians and Americans to live in one another's countries. An interesting parallel is Australia and New Zealand who allow their citizens to live and work in one another's countries indefinitely.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Nov 2014, 20:28

Depending on where you're from, the PNW has a lot going for it;

1) Moderate climate (Victoria especially). Heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures are uncommon. Similarly, 30C heat waves are uncommon. The rain is ever-present but frankly, imo, overblown. Victoria rains significantly less than Vancouver or Seattle.

2) Incredible access to the outdoors. Everywhere is forest, mountains, or oceans. Vancouver has three ski hills within its metro area; Victoria is nestled in some foothills with true mountains a few hours north. Seattle has easy access to the Cascades and Olympics.

3) I can't really speak from experience, but there's a lot going on on the Mainland for the economy. The condo boom is still, inexplicably, happening, so competent construction workers are in demand. Seattle and Vancouver both have strong technology and research sectors. Victoria is a government town.

4) Awesome culture in Seattle and Vancouver, to a (much) lesser extent in Victoria

5) The food and dining culture here is amazing (Victoria really shines here).

6) Expensive as hell.

7) A real melting pot, so you get to be exposed to many different cultures.
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 03 Nov 2014, 09:55

My speed boat question?
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Nov 2014, 10:10

That might be one to Google, it's not a common method of entry, so I don't know if anyone here will have much knowledge on it. I probably possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involved more paperwork or potential searches than a traditional border crossing. And I can't speak to how long it would take or how difficult the sailing would be.

I wrote a book!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Nov 2014, 10:10

Probably depends on the route you take, how fast your boat is, and how bad the Salish Sea is. If you can take a direct route, probably faster than a faster than a ferry but slower than the plane. If you have to hug the coast/San Juan islands and cross at the Haro strait, the ferry will probably overtake you.

Cost-wise, boats are very expensive to maintain, and would only be practical if you were regularly using the boat anyways.

Note that I'm from the opposite end of the country, so I'm just basing this on looking at Google Maps. Also, I have no idea what customs is like when boating across.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Nov 2014, 10:12

My father-in-law paddled a canoe the other way. He checked in with border agents at the ferry terminal before heading out.

Depending entirely where you set out from, the voyage could be a couple hours or a day.

It's really not practical or cost-saving unless you already had the boat (and gas... and mooring...)
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 03 Nov 2014, 20:51

What's the distance between Victoria and Seattle ? And I'm talking like a motor boat not a canoe
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Nov 2014, 21:06

Based on the travel time and service speed of the Victoria Clipper I would guess about 75 nautical miles is the distance by sea from Victoria to Seattle.

The great circle distance, the shortest distance if you flew and not have to worry about the coastline, is 63 nautical miles (116 kilometres or 72 statutory miles).
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Nov 2014, 22:45

I hope you understand that this is a foolish plan.
asteriskreaper

Postby asteriskreaper » 04 Nov 2014, 08:09

Metcarfre wrote:I hope you understand that this is a foolish plan.

Just an idea
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 10 Nov 2014, 09:07

On the moving to Canada bit - the smart thing to do is to hire a Canadian lawyer specializing in immigration. Not just some random dude claiming he's an immigration adviser or something, an actual lawyer.

Sure, up front it'll cost you some money (in the four-digits range) but you'll save so much time and effort it's not even funny.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Nov 2014, 13:10

MisterDee wrote:On the moving to Canada bit - the smart thing to do is to hire a Canadian lawyer specializing in immigration. Not just some random dude claiming he's an immigration adviser or something, an actual lawyer.

Sure, up front it'll cost you some money (in the four-digits range) but you'll save so much time and effort it's not even funny.

THIS.

You might well secure the aid of a practising lawyer for less than that (in some cases Legal Aid may be able to assist), but YES, this WILL help you GREATLY.

And yes, I speak from experience.
Tzimisce
First Video: it's magic

Postby Tzimisce » 10 Nov 2014, 22:06

Alberta is pretty but to far north and you best be used to -40 temps pre wind chill. It is great though. No pst!
I am Tzimisce.
I am incredibly warped and Twisted...
Would you like to be, too?
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
http://www.gofundme.com/gzmie4

Return to “General Discussion”