RWBY

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: RWBY

Postby Tycherin » 31 Oct 2014, 16:36

I'm telling you, there is a good story in this, somewhere. Please let me know if you find it, I would really like to see it.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Nov 2014, 01:38

It's in the world building bonus videos.

Does feel like Heroes. So close to being great, and it's frustrating.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 02 Nov 2014, 07:33

I think I was like part-way through the first season when I stopped watching. I'm sure I'll get back to it someday when I'm not trying to finish watching other things.

As an attempt to make an anime-like series, I think they succeeded. The characters have interesting qualities and the world is also an interesting one. The main problem with this series (and I think it might be one of the reasons Graham doesn't like it) is that the story is so condensed that they're using a lot of hacks, tricks, tropes, and shortcuts to tell you what's going on.

If British TV has taught us anything, it's that you can have a complete story arc in three (Sherlock) to six (Coupling) episodes, and that's perfectly okay for a season of a show. TV shows don't need to be 13 to 26 episodes long to have a complete story.

Maybe it takes longer to produce an animated show, but given the character design and how "automated" the characters' actions feel, maybe it didn't take them long to "program" their scenes.

More thoughts after I finally finish watching it.

Trisha Lynn
...the first series theme grates after a while...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Nov 2014, 14:28

I skip the theme. The singer's good. They just write music for her to sing that include notes that pushes her voice too far.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Nov 2014, 17:44

That would be her father.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Tzimisce
First Video: it's magic

Postby Tzimisce » 11 Nov 2014, 00:47

I like it for the combat. Which is pretty well done. But really why are these girls in school? It's like sending level 20 d&d characters in to a goblin camp.

Mind you the combat itself is intresting.
Ruby the syth dancer.
yang the burzerker
wiss the quick fluid strikes and
blake the shadow rogue
I am Tzimisce.
I am incredibly warped and Twisted...
Would you like to be, too?
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
http://www.gofundme.com/gzmie4
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Nov 2014, 00:53

Wiss is also semi mage.

I think Soul Eater does the "young people who fight monsters and also attend school" better.

RWBY is getting better at making itself different from Soul Eater.
Tzimisce

Postby Tzimisce » 11 Nov 2014, 01:48

You know i knew i saw that sorta trop before. I loved souleater.

I didn't like the end of season 2. It's combat felt to... two many cooks not enough kitchen. Kinda like Heroes season one vs scyler.

It just felt like a camio show instead of a grand battle. Maybe it should have been a 2 or 3 parter or even a 30 minute episode instead of 10 or 15. Give some time between showing superpowered ult vs superpowered ult.

I mean jaun is the only character should be enrolled in the school. Underpowered, bumbling idot.
I am Tzimisce.
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2014, 02:42

Tzimisce wrote:You know I knew I had seen that sorta trope before. I loved Soul Eater.

I didn't like the end of season 2. It's combat felt as too many cooks, not enough kitchen. Kinda like Heroes season one vs Sylar.

It just felt like a cameo show instead of a grand battle. Maybe it should have been a 2 or 3 parter or even a 30 minute episode instead of 10 or 15. Give some time between showing superpowered ult vs superpowered ult.

I mean Jaune is the only character who should be enrolled in the school. Under powered, bumbling idiot.

Needed to be done.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Nov 2014, 02:51

Finale felt more like a trailer to introduce the characters than a finale.

Felt like they were aiming for coolness as opposed to "closing the series' arc whilst leaving a bit of thread to continue".

They should had ended the series an episode earlier. At least then I would be angry (ending it too soon) as opposed to underwhelmed (didn't satisfy).
Tzimisce

Postby Tzimisce » 11 Nov 2014, 03:07

Elomin Sha wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:You know I knew I had seen that sorta trope before. I loved Soul Eater.

I didn't like the end of season 2. It's combat felt as too many cooks, not enough kitchen. Kinda like Heroes season one vs Sylar.

It just felt like a cameo show instead of a grand battle. Maybe it should have been a 2 or 3 parter or even a 30 minute episode instead of 10 or 15. Give some time between showing superpowered ult vs superpowered ult.

I mean Jaune is the only character who should be enrolled in the school. Under powered, bumbling idiot.

Needed to be done.

Thanks. Lol I'm typing on my phone.
I am Tzimisce.
Tzimisce

Postby Tzimisce » 11 Nov 2014, 03:13

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Finale felt more like a trailer to introduce the characters than a finale.

Felt like they were aiming for coolness as opposed to "closing the series' arc whilst leaving a bit of thread to continue".

They should had ended the series an episode earlier. At least then I would be angry (ending it too soon) as opposed to underwhelmed (didn't satisfy).

Well they have a cast of characters. For me a really good show that did the whole gathering of heros right was 'The Avengers:earths mightest heroes' but then they only had a maximum hero count of 7 in the main group.
I am Tzimisce.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2014, 05:11

Tzimisce wrote:Thanks. Lol I'm typing on my phone.

Phone?
Back in my day we were using teletypes to talk on the series of tubes and the mainframes across all the spreadersheets. GUI!
Tzimisce

Postby Tzimisce » 11 Nov 2014, 05:37

Elomin Sha wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:Thanks. Lol I'm typing on my phone.

Phone?
Back in my day we were using teletypes to talk on the series of tubes and the mainframes across all the spreadersheets. GUI!

If the forum had a like button.
I am Tzimisce.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2014, 13:01

We tried that before but quickly realised it was unfair to other forum members because all my posts would be liked to the nth degree because I'm such a likable person.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Feb 2015, 23:06

Bump.

So, this got to Netflix recently. I don't know if that had anything to do with Monty's passing or if it was a surge in popularity brought it to the top of Netflix's search terms or something.

Anyway, so I watched the first hour of Volume 1. I don't know what that was in the original episodes, but the RWBY team formed right at the end of where I stopped.

My main thought while watching: Why does EVERYONE sound the same?

I don't think the acting is necessarily bad, but... if I was listening to it without watching, I would have no idea who was talking! What's the last cartoon you can think of where that would be possible? Here, the headmaster sounds like that criminal, and I swore almost every woman was doing the same voice, but they're all different people!

I suspect that, even if the actors and actresses had more distinct voices, I don't think they're being directed enough to have different performances. They mostly have the same sort of "attitude" when talking, with a bit of arch character delineations.

The action is really good, but I think I'm having more trouble following it then I ever did back in the Dead Fantasy days, and I don't know why that is.

I'll keep watching this, because now I am curious where it's going, and it's very bittersweet to watch now, but... yeah, I kind of agree with Graham's analysis from earlier. Despite the obvious effort on screen, I'm not bowled over.

Monty's death has made me really, REALLY want to work on some more creative video stuff rather than the reviews I've been focusing on lately. I remember doing Metal Gear: Everlasting years ago, and I'm still very happy with it. I want to do something in that vein again, but with the equipment I have, it'd be such a hassle.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Feb 2015, 01:21

A couple days ago I went back and watched some of the older episodes in Volume One and noticed more how different the normal animations were. Instead of being fluid mixing two motions together eg: a,b and c,d,e; movements were more a then b and then c. I never really had that much issue with the voices having heard Lindsey, Kara, Arryn and Barbara talk numerous times in shorts before.

I've also been a little mre creative too because of Monty too wanting to get more art and writing done.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Feb 2015, 04:46

Tried watching the first episode and didn't like it. It's so... unexceptional.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Feb 2015, 09:28

I hope, they can still produce volume 3, since I have faith it can be great... It's like Heroes. There's glimpse of awesomeness to be found.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 14 Feb 2015, 09:40

We'll have to see whether they find it tasteless to continue a project which seemed to be Monty Oum's baby, or if they decide to continue it as a way to pay respects. It could be either or.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2015, 10:00

Monty picked Miles and Kerry to be writers with him on the project. The series will be in good hands even if it doesn't have Monty's awesome dance moves on it.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 07 Apr 2015, 20:16

Bump. Watched the rest of Volume 1.

So, the fight scene in the last part of Volume 1 is the first thing I've seen that even remotely rivals Dead Fantasy's absolute batshit craziness. I liked it, and the story is growing on me, but... yeah, there's a reason it took me two months to come back to it.

Whereas, in the very first Dead Fantasy, which is STILL the craziest shit I've ever seen:

https://youtu.be/SIy5Q3EB6ec

Elomin Sha wrote:The singer, Casey Williams, is 15.

WHAT?!
a winner is you. - Ash
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 Apr 2015, 07:20

Yep, I was surprised too. I thought she would have been in her later teens.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 19 Apr 2015, 16:42

Finished the two currently released volumes of RWBY.

Gotta say, it's growing on me. I think I'm on board now. I wonder if I'd like the earlier stuff better with my understanding of the characters now.

And yet... God, I wish the voice acting was better directed. Some lines get rushed, some have slightly incorrect emphasis, it's just a little off.

It dawned on me that BOTH Celestial Sea and even my own Metal Gear: Everlasting have sharper voice direction, and those are machinimas without the freedom RWBY has. (Now, I went to school for direction, so if I couldn't direct people, that would be silly.)

Still, it's about a thousand times better than Sucker Punch, that piece of crap.
a winner is you. - Ash
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Apr 2015, 01:41

I'm waiting for the Japanese dub to see how those are done. There have been a fan dub for four episodes and they were okay.

Return to “General Discussion”