Bad Idea Magazine here's your cover story! (Karona Kommandr)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Bad Idea Magazine here's your cover story! (Karona Kommandr)

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Nov 2014, 12:10

So I finally got a Karona and Chromanticore so this will be my next Commander deck and 2nd 5 color. The plan is to voltron up Karona and pass her around the table. There's 34 Bestow so I can run them all, I dont know what else to do with it. Should I try Constellation too or just focus on not letting her kill me. Can I get Commandered out by my own Commander? Also I need to put Assault Gear from the new Commander set in too.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karona_kommander/
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: Bad Idea Magazine here's your cover story! (Karona Komma

Postby Atifexe » 02 Nov 2014, 12:59

Commander damage is unique to each commander regardless of who controls. You can be killed by commander damage from your own commander, and if your commander's being passed around, each person could hit you with it in turn to achieve that total.

I was going to suggest the Vows, but you already have those. You also have Ghostly Prison, which reminded me of one of my old favorite cards, Koskun Falls. It's basically the same card, but in black and with an upkeep cost (specifically, tapping an untapped creature you control). I know there are other, more cost-effective versions of the effect, and perhaps it's something to consider if you find you need more ways to deter attacks. Oh, it's also one of the enchantments with the World supertype, if that's relevant to you at all.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Nov 2014, 13:51

I saw Koskun Falls but propaganda and Norn's watnot is better. Also Sphere of Safety just blows them all out of the water with a bestow deck too. Good to know I need to be concerned about Karona's damage too though, thx.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 02 Nov 2014, 15:15

There's a new equipment from C14 that prevents the equipped creature from swinging at you. I'm sure there are a couple of other cards like that too, such as auras, and you could run them, put them on Karona, stop people from swinging at you
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Nov 2014, 16:29

Yeah I had planned on that, previous ones are the Vows from Commander as well as anything with a Propaganda effect.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Nov 2014, 11:04

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/Karona_Kommander/

Okay, yesterday I spoke with a friend for a better part of the day about what I could do w/ this deck. This is the MK 1 build. Said friend also has a 5 color but he runs all the shocks and the Khans fetches which I can't quite justify yet.

That being said my solution was a Mazes' end subtheme which at the very least is fixing of sorts on top of an alt win con.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 21 Nov 2014, 18:35

No Homeward Path? Good choice if someone seems to be gearing up to try and kill you with Karona.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Nov 2014, 21:56

oh shit, didn't know that was a card. ON THE LIST IT GOES
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 22 Nov 2014, 12:57

Yeah, Homeward Path is probably a good idea if your theme is "Voltron-up Karona", but man do I ever hate that card if I'm playing any of my decks that have blue in them; stealing creatures is my jam and it's soooooo annoying when people stick that into decks that aren't even building around it. Which is why the very first thing I try to do when playing my Simic deck is steal Homeward Path - no more trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen, no sirree!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Nov 2014, 18:26

When I was building a deck with green in it, I found a Brooding Saurian in a folder and threw it in. Needless to say, it's come in handy a lot. Doesn't help with Karona, but does beat Bribery et al.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 22 Nov 2014, 23:35

Brooding Saurian feels too much like trying to "Fix" Karona. Homeward path gives me the political upper hand in convincing people to use her elsewhere.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Nov 2014, 23:38

Brooding Saurian does nothing to Karona. She hops back to the controller at the end of each turn, and then moves to the active player on their upkeep. There's really no difference.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Nov 2014, 07:56

oh yeah you're right, for some reason I had it in my head that she only goes to the person on my left.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Nov 2014, 15:31

ElFuzzy wrote:oh shit, didn't know that was a card. ON THE LIST IT GOES

I run my own Karona Kommandr deck. :)

Don't fuss too much over Karona's ability; at 6 mana she's a mid-game entrant at best and a lot of games will go by with her sitting in the Command Zone the whole game.

That said, Karona Voltron is a lot of fun, and you can totally make your fellow players hate you. Please see: Worldslayer. Whispering Madness. Or anything on this list.

Remember, YOU retain control of artifacts equipped on Karona. So if she deals damage to someone while under another person's control, and the artifact triggers? It's you who gets the benefit. Take advantage of this.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Nov 2014, 23:22

I run worldslayer as a boardwipe in my Reaper King Artifact deck. Need to get Mycosynth Lattic to save my non artifact lands w/ Darksteel Forge.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”