The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Cybertrash » 23 Nov 2014, 11:46

I'll probably be going to Japan in May to watch the World Kendo Championships, never been outside of Europe by myself before :o
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Nov 2014, 11:50

When I went outside the UK for the first time I was staring into the eyes of a black bear. You'll have Godzilla.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Nov 2014, 05:57

My order of Pokemon Omega Ruby hasn't arrived yet from Amazon.

But
I received an e-mail from my Spanish friend.

If I had a choice, I would choose it this way round.
I mean, both would be great, but if I had a choice of one or the other, this is muy biene.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 30 Nov 2014, 17:22

So I think I may be going to the states in a few months. I have never travelled so much distance or by myself and never ever organised a trip on my own. I am doing all of those three now. I also don't wanna allow myself to feel excited until I have the flying tickets in my hands (so to speak) just in case.
In short, I'm sort of excited, sort of afraid something goes wrong in the last minute and really scared. Is that normal?
Anyway, I hope everything turns out just fine.
I was hesitant whether to post this or not but what the hell, right?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Nov 2014, 17:51

I have felt a bit mixed up before a couple international trips. I have always more than enjoy myself though.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Dec 2014, 10:16

It'll be fine, viscomica. :)
Where in the States are you going? You could easily meet up with some other Runners to relieve some of the "by yourself" tension. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Dec 2014, 16:51

This might belong slightly more in the Venting thread, but here's the latest Twitter emotional roller-coaster:

Thunderf00t tweets this:
https://twitter.com/thunderf00t/status/539557311640252416

Thunderf00t wrote:https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/148217327236808704 … and with that, anitas just earned herself another video!

Goddamnit, I'm getting sick of TF picking on Anita Sarkeesian. Let's see what that tweet was.

Anita's tweet was:

Anita Sarkeesian wrote:Christopher #Hitchens is a racist, sexist, warmonger. The fact that people are choosing to look past this just because he died is appalling.

WHOA. You could scarcely say something more offensive to me if you made fun of my dad AND the Venture Bros. I was horrified. There's hardly an atheist left anywhere worthy to kiss Hitchens' feet. Screw this.

I see a response tweet from someone saying, "from 2011?"

Check her tweet again. It's from almost three years ago.

Well, NOW I'm like, "What the hell are you doing looking through three year old tweets for, TF? Are you just looking for fuel for your videos or Gotchas or what? Don't you allegedly have something better to do with your time?"

Then I think, "When did Christopher Hitchens die, anyway? It was close to three years ago, wasn't it?"

Christopher Hitchens died December 15, 2011. Anita's tweet was TWO DAYS after his death. I know that wouldn't make a difference to some people, but if I saw that tweet the day it was tweeted, I'd have been very upset. I'm the type of person that believes you don't say stuff like this right after someone dies.

But I can also forgive this since it was three years ago. I think the statute of limitations on my outrage is definitely expired. I'm still pissed off about it, for now, and it's the first thing Anita has done that's really upset me in any way.

But now, it's a piece of firewood to stoke the flame of anti-feminist sentiments in a video that I doubt very much will be the least bit enlightening for anyone.

Ugh.

And I did a similar thing yesterday with two other Internet personalities got into a minor tiff. The one I disagreed with was rational, if still an asshole, and the one I agreed with flew off the handle. I hate watching the side I agree with being defended so badly, because it just pitching a big meatball right down the plate for the opposition to knock out of the park and act like they're right.

Ugghh.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 01 Dec 2014, 19:46

Sons of Anarchy is a fantastically made show, full of compelling, fleshed out characters, drama, and suspense...

And those characters are horrible people, doing horrible, brutal, depressing things to each other, things that leaving me mentally drained for having watched them.

I find myself wanting to watch as much of it as possible, as soon as possible, so I can get to the point where I can stop watching it entirely (it's the final season).
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 02 Dec 2014, 05:49

AdmiralMemo wrote:It'll be fine, viscomica. :)
Where in the States are you going? You could easily meet up with some other Runners to relieve some of the "by yourself" tension. :)

I'll be in Washington and Philadelphia, maybe NY if I can manage haha
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Dec 2014, 08:01

I know there are Runners in Philly. I think there are a couple in DC, too. :)
How are you getting from DC to Philly? Do you have time to stop in Baltimore, which is on the way? Maybe you could meet me and/or plummeting_sloth?

viscomica

Postby viscomica » 02 Dec 2014, 08:13

I think I will be getting from DC to Philadelphia by train, but maybe my relatives from Philadelphia will pick me up. I haven't worked out the details yet!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Dec 2014, 08:19

J/K - your itinerary sounds great (I think I'd enjoy the somewhat less pressured mode of train travel vs. air, with the freedom from effort that driving has). Maybe you'll have some free time while in Philadelphia, because iirc AlexanderDitto is there, at the least.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 03 Dec 2014, 16:42

I got sent home early from work. Mostly because it was dead, partly because I am sick. I'm both happy about this (more rest time) and unhappy about this (less hours to be paid for). Hopefully I get better soon because I have 2 14 hours shifts this weekend.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 04 Dec 2014, 04:35

Rikadyn wrote:Found out a friend is pregnant:

Pros:
She would probably be a good mother

Cons:
Baby daddy not her husband
She tends to suffer from bad depression/self mutilation
Obsesses about not being "Asian" pretty (she's white)
Under massive financial debt (like 2/3rds paycheck goes to school/medical)
Has tendency to quit eating

So back to this, still under massive debt still pregnant, The child's father is an abusive scumbag who has 4 children elsewhere that he's a deadbeat to, she says she's in contact with his exwife and he threw one girl down the stairs when found out she was pregnant, and now has assaulted her at least twice. Luckily this last one she went to the police but the time difference I don't know anything beyond that.

I worry that having this kid is gonna put her in serious risk of having to be in constant contact with this filth.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Dec 2014, 10:49

I just got a new computer! So why is this in Mixed Emotion instead of the Win thread?

Because I shouldn't NEED a damn new computer. My last one was barely six months old when it bricked itself. Goddamn Toshiba.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 06 Dec 2014, 11:46

So I got told I have a GREAT singing voice. The kind that can sing Elvis songs easily. I was singing Lonely This Christmas. The compliment felt great until I remembered.

I had a lecturer. Guitarist and singer. Fantastic legend of a man. Humble, kind, gentle and told you what you needed to hear in a way that you were thankful he said it. And he was preparing a few weeks in advance for a Christmas gig. That song was on the list.

Three days before the gig, his mother had died. And he still got on that stage. He still sung that song and played guitar. And he held it together until the end of the song like a professional.

Can ANY of you name ONE MAN that could do that? I know I couldn't. The man deserves my highest admiration and I wonder if he'd be proud of me for becoming such a musician that I can actually sing as well as I can drum now.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Dec 2014, 15:55

Most recent episode of Agents of Shield went to Vancouver. I paused the ariel shot to point out places I had been too. I saw Verinier beach. The train yard I passed in Gastown. I smiled, reminicing on the places I went to. Then I was sad because I miss Vancouver.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Dec 2014, 02:27

After being fired on Friday, I was contacted tonight by someone who still works there. Apparently, there is more than a little discontent in the ranks. Giving specifics would breach confidentiality, but suffice to say, perhaps it's a blessing. Maybe I was pushed off the train that's headed for the "Bridge Out" before it went over...
I'd like to see what's up in about a year.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Dec 2014, 03:52

Company wide, or just your area? (if you can say)
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Dec 2014, 04:20

Well, the only 3 "areas" are France (Paris), US (San Francisco), and Asia (Taipei). I don't think anything's wrong with Asia (especially since it's new and only has 4 employees), but the other two...

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Dec 2014, 10:38

Yay, I'm back home! That means time with the family, proper home cooking and a ton less work.
Boo, I'm away from all my friends from uni!

Yay, I got my computer repaired!
Boo, I'm still 100 miles away from my good PC, that can run games and has fast internet.

Yay, I just got a new car! And it's a good 'un too!
Boo, I just had to pay for a new car almost exactly a year after buying my old one...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Dec 2014, 15:03

Homegroup is a nice thing if you're a Christian.
Though, it's always hard hearing how people close to you are going through genuine shit.
The more you care, the more it hurts. At least it's a hurt coming from love, rather than darkness.

I feel so sorry for them...
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Dec 2014, 07:01

So.

A friend of mine is moving to another city...pretty much as soon as she can, and wants me to come along as a roommate. I pretty much have zero real attachments where I am, am tired of and kind of hate the city I'm currently in, and would like to move to a bigger city.

However, I have a decent job here with coworkers I like. While my company does have an office in this other city (Halifax, it's Halifax), there isn't anybody in my 'niche' there as a supervisor/mentor, and I'm woefully underqualified for my role as it is. I've put out my resume to a few places, but haven't heard back yet (unsurprising, considering how close it is to the Holidays). The real problem is that most of the IT/Developer jobs in Halifax seem to consulting roles, and I don't want to jump from just one consulting firm to another (for a number of reasons, chief of which is that the industry in this part of the world is too small to risk burning bridges, and the biggest shop in Halifax is one I know I'd hate to work for - I've already had to clean up some of their messes at my current job).

Blargh. I always talk/procrastinate myself out of small changes to my life, no matter how much I know I need them. I should just take the jump, damn the consequences.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Dec 2014, 07:58

I say do it Gunner.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 17 Dec 2014, 08:22

Master Gunner wrote:So.

A friend of mine is moving to another city...pretty much as soon as she can, and wants me to come along as a roommate. I pretty much have zero real attachments where I am, am tired of and kind of hate the city I'm currently in, and would like to move to a bigger city.

However, I have a decent job here with coworkers I like. While my company does have an office in this other city (Halifax, it's Halifax), there isn't anybody in my 'niche' there as a supervisor/mentor, and I'm woefully underqualified for my role as it is. I've put out my resume to a few places, but haven't heard back yet (unsurprising, considering how close it is to the Holidays). The real problem is that most of the IT/Developer jobs in Halifax seem to consulting roles, and I don't want to jump from just one consulting firm to another (for a number of reasons, chief of which is that the industry in this part of the world is too small to risk burning bridges, and the biggest shop in Halifax is one I know I'd hate to work for - I've already had to clean up some of their messes at my current job).

Blargh. I always talk/procrastinate myself out of small changes to my life, no matter how much I know I need them. I should just take the jump, damn the consequences.

Isn't Halifax close to St-Pierre-et-Miquelon? If so, please go and take pictures!
My take on this: take the leap.
Life is too short, dammit.

Return to “General Discussion”