TTC - Fate Reforged & Ugin Boosters

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC - Fate Reforged & Ugin Boosters

Postby Graham » 24 Nov 2014, 22:33

MTG news updates! There are a couple spoilers from Fate Reforged floating around, and what are these "Ugin Boosters" all about? Let's talk about it!
crossbrainedfool
First Video: The Job

Re: TTC - Fate Reforged & Ugin Boosters

Postby crossbrainedfool » 24 Nov 2014, 23:43

As a netrunner guy, I can't help but laugh at the "let's get this party started" evaluation. For reference : Diesel is merely a staple, and Anonymous Tip is not usually played. Different games with different systems result in big swings is such effects.
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Postby DelphiSantano » 25 Nov 2014, 07:07

Re Nissa and the Eldrazi being freed:

The standoff between Chandra, Jace and Sarkhan at the Eye of Ugin was part of Bolas' plan and triggered the release of the Eldrazi spawn upon the plane, although the Eldrazi themselves were still held by the Hedrons. The spawn being released got Sorin's attention, so came back to Zendikar.
Nissa herself released the titans:

"Once the group arrived at the Eye of Ugin, Nissa's plans abruptly changed from what Sorin had expected. Instead of helping Sorin reinforce the spell containing the Eldrazi, she shattered the main Hedron and released the enchantment imprisoning the titans. Nissa thought the titans would flee, that they would leave Zendikar far behind them. She was wrong, and Sorin washed his hands of her and the entire plane, choosing to go about his own business once more since Nissa wouldn't heed his instructions." (From Zendikar: In the Teeth of Akoum)
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
Voidhawk42
First Video: Desert Bus 007

Postby Voidhawk42 » 25 Nov 2014, 07:59

Infectilator sounds just horrid.
Almost as bad as these guys:
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 25 Nov 2014, 08:31

crossbrainedfool wrote:As a netrunner guy, I can't help but laugh at the "let's get this party started" evaluation. For reference : Diesel is merely a staple, and Anonymous Tip is not usually played. Different games with different systems result in big swings is such effects.

Well, A:NR is more of an exception. In most customizable card games your options are limited to the cards you draw and draw 3 is always good. In A:NR you can always spend your turn to draw 4. And on the corp side drawing a card can leave you in a worse position - an asset that allowed you to skip your mandatory draw would probably be broken.
Diesel is only really good in a deck that wants to set up a rig quickly and the 2 Influence make it hard to splash. So while it ends up in a lot of Shaper decks, you'd rather have some other tutoring or draw effects OOF (I wouldn't consider it a staple for that reason. If you want to splash for draws, QT is usually the better option). And Tip is worth it only in some mega-rush type corp deck or if you are really dependent on Sea-Scorched. You want the 3 Jacksons before you want Tip and by the time you consider tip.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 25 Nov 2014, 15:25

I lasted to 2:25 when Graham wanted to laugh at the graphic design of the yugioh card. as a collector and fan of yugioh I feel insulted by his comments.

Yes Graham is entitled to his own opinion and free to express such opinion but that was not the time or place.

And apparently he forgot, or doesn't know, that yugioh is aimed at young kids and thus requiring graphics that is aimed at them. a style that is drastically different than Magic the gathering.

Whatever Graham's intention was with the comment it did not come out very favorable in my opinion.

Now I'm off to unsubscribe to the lrr youtube channel.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 25 Nov 2014, 20:40

mikeyjh wrote:I lasted to 2:25 when Graham wanted to laugh at the graphic design of the yugioh card. as a collector and fan of yugioh I feel insulted by his comments.

Yes Graham is entitled to his own opinion and free to express such opinion but that was not the time or place.

And apparently he forgot, or doesn't know, that yugioh is aimed at young kids and thus requiring graphics that is aimed at them. a style that is drastically different than Magic the gathering.

Whatever Graham's intention was with the comment it did not come out very favorable in my opinion.

Now I'm off to unsubscribe to the lrr youtube channel.

You come off as very insecure in your own beliefs here. It's not that you disagree with what graham said but that his differing belief offended you SO MUCH, that not only will you not listen to the rest of the pod cast but your not going to watch any thing they make ever again.

And what would be the "time and place" to discuss his opinions than on a podcast where they talk about their opinions. Would their have been a time and/or place where you wouldn't have minded.

I mean it's not like I haven't experienced people making fun of things I like. I like JRPGs and people make fun of those all the time. It's not like if I see someone make fun of JRPGs that I like I mute them and refuse to listen to anything they say just becuase they don't like something I do.
Last edited by Eric the Orange on 25 Nov 2014, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 25 Nov 2014, 21:09

I will echo the previous comment: Graham expressed disappoinent in a product, not you. The product is something which, while you may like it, should not be tied at all to ones sense of self as it is (like Magic, My Little Pony, and liking Metal Music) not important in the grand scheme of things. If you like it, great! If you like the art design, awesome! Keep supporting the thing you enjoy, but be prepared to come across those who don't. My fiancée HATES Star Wars while I enjoy it. It makes neither her or I lesser people it is just that we have different tastes.
Last edited by Bergie on 26 Nov 2014, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Nov 2014, 03:54

mikeyjh, I have no problem with Yugioh, and certainly no problem with the people who play it.
I don't play it myself, but I understand it to be a fun game.

That said, I think the graphic design of the cards looks amateurish, and from a pure readability standpoint is awful.

Does that make the game un-fun? No.
And it absolutely says nothing about the people who play it.

Above all, this is my opinion... and we're allowed to disagree.
I'm sorry you consider that as an insult big enough to unfollow all of our work. That seems like an overreaction to me.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 26 Nov 2014, 06:42

Thank you for a response Graham.

Overreaction? Sigh. Yes. Yes it was. For some reason it just struck a nerve with me. I was like I'm not going to take this and why should I watch and listen to someone who bashes something I like.

Sorry forum.

Nerd rage got the best of me.

Graham wrote:mikeyjh, I have no problem with Yugioh, and certainly no problem with the people who play it.
I don't play it myself, but I understand it to be a fun game.

That said, I think the graphic design of the cards looks amateurish, and from a pure readability standpoint is awful.

Does that make the game un-fun? No.
And it absolutely says nothing about the people who play it.

Above all, this is my opinion... and we're allowed to disagree.
I'm sorry you consider that as an insult big enough to unfollow all of our work. That seems like an overreaction to me.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 26 Nov 2014, 08:24

After reading what DelphiSantano wrote I have to accept that WotC actually did call one of his characters "Bolas". While listening to the podcast I tried to convince myself that it was me mishearing, but no, they actually did that.

Is there no one in all of WotC who speaks spanish to catch that in time?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 26 Nov 2014, 14:06

I will openly admit that comparing Zendikar to Snorsh broke me. I now imagine that Nahiri is trying to book the equivalent of David Caruso for some local access gig.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 26 Nov 2014, 14:37

Someone make a Hedron Weagle card.
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 26 Nov 2014, 18:54

Uh, I hate to ask this, but I'm not really sure where the best place to ask is. I'm subscribed to the podcast via itunes, and since the switch to different feeds, I've noticed that there's a lot of episodes that are just kind of...disappearing. It seems like the iTunes feed can only hold 10 "Episodes" at a time, and every time a new one is added the old ones just...disappear.

Is there anything I can do to download the earlier episodes?

And, uh, I guess to talk about the episode itself. Dragonclaw is a title, not a name so Yasova may not be an ancestor of Surrak. It's far enough back that it's impossible to tell, but the name isn't an indicator. I'm super excited about the trip to the past and what it means for MtG as a whole though, and the Ugin's Fate boosters are an awesome idea. And if you haven't seen them, they are ridiculously pretty for booster packs.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Nov 2014, 19:18

"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
chaucer345
First Video: Unskippable

Postby chaucer345 » 27 Nov 2014, 10:55

So if you don't want that Applejack card would you send it my way? She is the Batman of MLP.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 29 Nov 2014, 23:47

romangoro wrote:After reading what DelphiSantano wrote I have to accept that WotC actually did call one of his characters "Bolas". While listening to the podcast I tried to convince myself that it was me mishearing, but no, they actually did that.

Is there no one in all of WotC who speaks spanish to catch that in time?

Considering the fact that Nicol Bolas first appeared (and was therefore named) back in Legends, when the MtG creative team was basically just Richard Garfield and a handful of his friends, and before Magic was even actually translated into Spanish, I'd say that, yes, WotC had a dearth of Spanish-speaking employees when they picked a name for ol' Niccy.

Also, I heard somewhere that Nicol Bolas actually means something suitably ominous (like "great evil one" or somesuch) in Latin or Hebrew or some other language I don't speak. I haven't been able to verify that, however, so don't quote me on that.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
MetalMalethar
First Video: Echo

Postby MetalMalethar » 01 Dec 2014, 12:38

Kathleen is actually incorrect in saying that Nicol Bolas tricked the 3 planeswalkers into freeing the Eldrazi. What he DID do was trick Sarkhan into going to Zendikar to guard the Eye of Ugin. It was there that Sarkhan basically got into it with Chandra and transformed into a dragon, and then Jace shows up and didn't know that the dragon was Sarkhan, and he helped her fight him. They discovered an invisible fire spell in the Dragon Scroll, and they used it on Sarkhan. So, because there was the presence of 3 planeswalkers as well as an invisible flame, the eye opened and the Eldrazi escaped.
Drinking Tea Enables You Joyful

Return to “TapTapConcede”