Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby jkefka » 10 Nov 2014, 04:50

Are you committed to using the khans as your commanders? Because Surrak is just all your dudes have trample and can't be countered, which is fine but unexciting and not particularly Zendikar-ish. Unfortunately none of the RUG commanders are particularly well-suited to a Zendikar-themed deck, but you basically have two major routes:

1) Creatures all up in this bitch: Surrak, Animar, or Maelstrom Wanderer are all very aggressive big-creature-favoring deck strategies that basically want a lot of ramp, some evolve, and all the big green (and a few blue and red) fatties you can slam onto the board.

2) Combo central: Intet the Dreamer and Riku of Two Reflections are both very well suited to combo-type decks. My partner, who is the johnniest johnny ever to get her hands on a panoptic mirror, has an Intet deck that basically tries to draw the entire deck and play it for free, then win with Psychosis Crawler and a 37-card hand.

I'm going a kind of sideways route myself and working on an Animar-based deck that I call "the X factor," which takes a bunch of mana doubling and "your mana pool doesn't empty" effects and a bunch of x-cost spells, hydras, fireballs, mind spring, etc. That's a little zendikarish in that big ramp and big power fit the zendikar flavor nicely, but honestly I couldn't tell you if there's anything from Zendikar block even in that decklist right now.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 11 Nov 2014, 09:11

So I think I've figured out what I want my Temur deck to do. I only have Surrak, so he'll have to be the general, which is fine since the only non land cards will be either creatures or ramp spells.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 11 Nov 2014, 21:27

I kind of want to build a zombie Commander deck, and I'm not sure which colours to go with. I'm mostly trying to decide between Sultai, Grixis, and mono-black, since I already have a Grimgrin commander deck and those are the other colours I have potential commanders for already. Any thoughts?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Nov 2014, 01:49

I've got one with Karador as my commander. Maybe not the best, but it's what I had.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 12 Nov 2014, 03:45

I recently brainstormed up a Mono-black list with Gisa as the Commander. Haven't bought any of the cards yet, but I think it looks really potent.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gisas-zamblebees/
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 13 Nov 2014, 08:22

Atifexe wrote:I kind of want to build a zombie Commander deck, and I'm not sure which colours to go with. I'm mostly trying to decide between Sultai, Grixis, and mono-black, since I already have a Grimgrin commander deck and those are the other colours I have potential commanders for already. Any thoughts?

Mono-black, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed would give you a bonus across the board to your creatures and give everyone Undying.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249896

Grixis, Thraximundar, really just for more colors to work with. Otherwise, this guy is just pure power. If your opponent doesn't have removal on hand, this guy gets out of control quickly.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376552

Not really that many great zombie commanders.
[url]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[%22Zombie%22]&type=+[%22Legendary%22][/url]
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 13 Nov 2014, 11:02

He's not a zombie himself, but running Lim-Dûl the Necromancer as the general of a mono-black zombie tribal deck just oozes with flavor, as his abilities let you raise your opponents creatures as zombies to fight for you, and regenerate zombies.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 13 Nov 2014, 21:43

Lim-Dul is the way I was leaning. For that, though, I have to figure out where I put the Cabal Coffers I bought a while back. I know where my Urborg is (only really relevant for any nonbasic lands I wind up running, which would be a small but nonzero number in a mono-black deck). If I design a deck and post a link, could I ask for some feedback?
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 18 Nov 2014, 22:35

So I got my MTGO account back (hadn't touched it in 2yrs and forgot the password) finished building the commander deck i was working on before hand.

http://i.imgur.com/RMazD9d.png
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 19 Nov 2014, 15:20

So I've been working on this for a little while. It still needs some work, and there's a couple cards I don't have so aren't in the deck, but for a first version, I don't think this is too bad

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/omg-she-killed-kenny/

The name is because the next episode of South Park to air actually features MTG as a main plot point
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Nov 2014, 05:30

Rikadyn: We need to find time to duel with our Sliver decks to find who's the ultimate Sliver.

Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 20 Nov 2014, 20:02

AdmiralMemo wrote:Rikadyn: We need to find time to duel with our Sliver decks to find who's the ultimate Sliver.

That would be...an interesting game given how slivers work...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Nov 2014, 22:07

Exactly why I suggested it.

CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 22 Nov 2014, 13:56

Any suggestions for cards to add to the Eternal Bargain precon deck?
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 22 Nov 2014, 16:22

Which commander are you using? Oloro, Sharuum, and Sydri all have different play styles that really want different builds and different card selections.
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 22 Nov 2014, 22:12

Mostly Sharuum. I use him I'd say 9/10 times.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 23 Nov 2014, 00:56

So I seem to be winning the local Commander precon league thing. Nahiri is sweeping all before her, spamming creatures left and right. I like it a lot (but then I like winning).

Sometime in December a new Commander league is starting up, this one not (necessarily) using the precon Commander decks, and I'm wondering what to build for it ... but then I don't have much of the cards (or Commanders) I'd need to build a deck from scratch, so I probably won't, but then again ...

Anyway I'm trying to decide what colour(s) and Commander to run. I like creatures wide and tall, creatures all over the place, creatures stacked on top of creatures on top of creatures like a pancake pile of meat, so green appeals to me (and for that matter, my existing white deck appeals!). I could go mono-green, but it's weak on removal. I'd probably end up going green-black or green-blue (I kinda like the Simic approach) but then Izzet also tempts ... since I do like fliers. It's fun sailing over peoples' heads to smack them in the face. Red and blue is less about creatures, but I'd still get to beat face with dragons!

So I guess I could go full Golgari, super Simic ... or possibly Sultai with the Mimeoplasm? That'd be the best of both worlds.

So I think I've boiled it down to Jarad, the Mimeoplasm, or Niv-Mizzet. Does anyone have any experience with those commanders they'd care to share?

Edit: Riku of Two Reflections looks like he could be fun too. Copy all the things!
Edit edit: Herp derp I am a moron, I see that Riku and Mimeoplasm were previous precon Commander commanders. I suppose that's a place to start!
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Nov 2014, 09:22

So I bought the Mono Green Commander deck on Friday, mainly because my FNM didn't fire, yet again. I've spliced it with my existing Mono Green Elf deck, and this was the result

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/other-tr ... war-kills/
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 23 Nov 2014, 21:01

Tinfish wrote:So I think I've boiled it down to Jarad, the Mimeoplasm, or Niv-Mizzet. Does anyone have any experience with those commanders they'd care to share?

The Mimeoplasm wants things like Fauna Shaman, Disciple of Deceit, Jarad's Orders, and Buried Alive to find creatures, things like Avenging Druid, Nyxweaver, and Satyr Wayfinder to do self-mill with some profit, evasive creatures like Simic Sky Swallower or Invisible Stalker, and big creatures to eat for counters, like Krosan Cloudscraper, Lord of Extinction, Consuming Aberration, and Phyrexian Dreadnought. You can also include an infect subtheme with Blighted Agent, Phyresis, and Skithiryx (especially Skithiryx).
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 24 Nov 2014, 03:13

AdmiralMemo wrote:Exactly why I suggested it.

Well I'm currently 14hrs ahead of you so...might be a bit difficult to find time, but what's your name on MTGO?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Nov 2014, 04:10

AdmiralMemo

Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 27 Nov 2014, 03:45

After considering it a while longer, I've narrowed it down further to two and a half choices:

1) Vorel of the Hull Clade. I kinda like the Simic, and the green counter stuff added in Khans (Hardened Scales, Incremental Growth, Tuskguard Captain etc) would go well with him. This would be a pretty standard Simic deck, counters flying everywhere. The only problem is that green and blue don't have many board sweepers. Maybe if I added Nevinyrral's Disk?

2) Niv-Mizzet. There seems to be two ways to do Niv-Mizzet: the Firemind way, where you aim to draw as many cards as possible, and the Dracogenius way, where you pump as much mana into Niv-Mizzet as possible, and basically use him as a two-mana card draw effect with a ping built in. Of these two, I'm kinda fonder of the Dracogenius, though I suspect that the Firemind is better. I believe there's also an equipment which gives a creature deathtouch, which would make Niv-Mizzet a killing machine ... this deck would be pretty standard counterspells-and-burn-spells.

Of the two (and a half), Vorel is closer to my ideal colours, but I suspect that the Niv-Mizzet deck would be a lot more fun.
It's fish in a tin!
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 27 Nov 2014, 09:06

Tinfish wrote:After considering it a while longer, I've narrowed it down further to two and a half choices:

1) Vorel of the Hull Clade. I kinda like the Simic, and the green counter stuff added in Khans (Hardened Scales, Incremental Growth, Tuskguard Captain etc) would go well with him. This would be a pretty standard Simic deck, counters flying everywhere. The only problem is that green and blue don't have many board sweepers. Maybe if I added Nevinyrral's Disk?

2) Niv-Mizzet. There seems to be two ways to do Niv-Mizzet: the Firemind way, where you aim to draw as many cards as possible, and the Dracogenius way, where you pump as much mana into Niv-Mizzet as possible, and basically use him as a two-mana card draw effect with a ping built in. Of these two, I'm kinda fonder of the Dracogenius, though I suspect that the Firemind is better. I believe there's also an equipment which gives a creature deathtouch, which would make Niv-Mizzet a killing machine ... this deck would be pretty standard counterspells-and-burn-spells.

Of the two (and a half), Vorel is closer to my ideal colours, but I suspect that the Niv-Mizzet deck would be a lot more fun.

Put a Curiosity on Firemind late enough in the game and win. Earlier in the game you can eliminate two opponents before you risk milling yourself. At that point you have to crack an elixir of immortality or similar so you can do it some more the next turn.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 27 Nov 2014, 19:47

Lurkon wrote:Put a Curiosity on Firemind late enough in the game and win. Earlier in the game you can eliminate two opponents before you risk milling yourself. At that point you have to crack an elixir of immortality or similar so you can do it some more the next turn.

Oh, that's nasty.
It's fish in a tin!
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 27 Nov 2014, 21:51

Tinfish wrote:
Lurkon wrote:Put a Curiosity on Firemind late enough in the game and win. Earlier in the game you can eliminate two opponents before you risk milling yourself. At that point you have to crack an elixir of immortality or similar so you can do it some more the next turn.

Oh, that's nasty.

You can also run Ophidian Eye, which does the same thing (but with flash). If you're a horrible monster.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”