Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby tamaness » 28 Nov 2014, 04:58

I misread your response, my reading of it implied timestamp orders were involved. I guess I missed half of your last paragraph. -.-;;
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Nov 2014, 14:27

Can I run Gem of Becoming in a deck that only has one or two legal targets?
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 28 Nov 2014, 14:36

As far as I'm aware (and gatherer backs me up, at least to my understanding), you can fail to find, either because there are none left in your deck or if there is some reason you don't want to. So if you want to, I don't see why you couldn't run it.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Nov 2014, 14:43

Right, thanks. I just want some ramp stuff for the Narset EDH deck I'm going to be building
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 28 Nov 2014, 15:11

Wouldn't it be easier to run burnished heart, or are you already?

Just to make sure, you can't swerve a counterspell onto itself, correct?
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Nov 2014, 15:43

My deck isn't going to run any creatures. It's just going to be Voltron with some token gen and anthem effects as well as whole field combat tricks
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 28 Nov 2014, 18:14

ElFuzzy wrote:Just to make sure, you can't swerve a counterspell onto itself, correct?

No, a spell is never a legal target for itself, there's a rule specifically preventing that. However, you can swerve the counterspell to target the Swerve, since Swerve is still on the stack while it's resolving and you're picking new targets. Then Swerve finishes resolving and goes to the graveyard, and when the counterspell goes to resolve it'll be countered for invalid target.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Dec 2014, 14:25

So if I storm grapeshot for 40 then cast brain freeze what is brain freeze's storm count?
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 21 Dec 2014, 14:27

You'll get to Brain Freeze for 41 (ie 123 cards). Storm only cares about spells that have been cast this turn... and the storm copies on your previous Grapeshot weren't cast, they were copied on the stack.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Dec 2014, 14:58

Alright thanks, then I will need to past in flames to deck the WHOLE table.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 21 Dec 2014, 16:53

So if I block a creature with flanking with Dream Fighter, what trigger goes on the stack first?
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 21 Dec 2014, 17:15

the flanking trigger goes under the dream fighter trigger. Triggers stack in AP-NAP order.
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 22 Dec 2014, 11:14

i will try to make this simple i have a creature with lifelink and i attack and my opponent blocks and regenerates. do i gain life from lifelink or does regenerate stop it.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 22 Dec 2014, 12:44

Aaron9797 wrote:i will try to make this simple i have a creature with lifelink and i attack and my opponent blocks and regenerates. do i gain life from lifelink or does regenerate stop it.

614.8. Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word “instead” doesn’t appear on the card but is implicit in the definition of regeneration. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.” Abilities that trigger from damage being dealt still trigger even if the permanent regenerates. See rule 701.12.

Yes you do.

eta: bolding
A quick explanation, now that I've read the rules a bit more, the regeneration shield does not replace the damage being dealt to the creature, but the destruction of the creature. In other words, the damage happens, and then, if there was enough damage for the creature in question to "die," the creature is "instead" affected as the rules say. But the damage still happened, one way or another.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Dec 2014, 12:57

Also, regarding that bold section, Lifelink isn't a triggered ability (though old pseudo-lifelink abilities like Armadillo Cloak are). Lifelink is a thing that happens as part of combat damage, not a trigger after it.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 22 Dec 2014, 18:10

Armadilo cloak is a triggered ability.... can you stifle it? Will I still die if a 20 power creature hits me wearing my armadillo cloak?
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 22 Dec 2014, 18:38

Yes to the first, and yes to the second (assuming that you're at less than twenty life and you aren't chump-blocking to where trample damage will be reduced to where your life total is greater than zero).
korvys

Postby korvys » 22 Dec 2014, 19:30

^ What they said.

The answer is no to both for Unflinching Courage though (for contrast).
Also, double courage doesn't stack (the lifelink part), while double armadillo does.

keybase.io
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 22 Dec 2014, 19:50

Let me see if I can get this right then:

Korvys's 20PowerDude is equipped with ElFuzzy's Armadillo Cloak. 20PowerDude attacks and is not blocked. The damage is dealt, the armadillo cloak triggers, but before the trigger is placed on the stack state based actions are checked. If ElFuzzy is at less than one life, the game is over. If ElFuzzy is on at least one life the armadillo cloak trigger goes on the stack, state based actions are checked again and then Korvys gains priority.

If Korvys and ElFuzzy were playing during invasion block, the damage would go on the stack, then the cloak would trigger and assuming no other actions or effects ElFuzzy's life gain would occur before the damage is dealt.
korvys

Postby korvys » 22 Dec 2014, 20:11

Cause I feel like typing, I'm going to get super technical about how lifelink works. Feel free to skip. Also, correct me when I inevitably screw something up.

Things do damage in two cases (that I can think of). When they say they do, like a Lightning Bolt or Prodigal Sorcerer, or when they are in combat in the combat damage step.

When a thing does damage, what happens depends on what it's doing damage to, and what abilities it has.

Generally speaking:
- Damage done to players is "dealt" by making them lose life (this is why damage is counted as life lose, because damage causes life lose, but not the other way around.)

- Damage to planeswalkers is "dealt" by reducing loyalty.

- Damage to creatures is "dealt" by marking damage on them (which might kill them next time state-based actions are checked).

But:
- If the source of the damage has infect, damage to players is "dealt" by adding poison counters, and to creatures by adding -1/-1 counters, instead of life lose or marking damage.

- If the source has lifelink, damage is "dealt" by life lose or marking damange AND gaining life for the controller.

- If the source has lifelink and infect, it would apply counters AND gain life.

By the way, this applies to all things. If you can give your lightning bolt lifelink (and don't think I haven't tried to think of a way), you'd have a functional copy of Lightning Helix.

Now, after you've "dealt" your damage, in whatever form that might be, you might have triggered an ability like that of Armadillo Cloak.

This has been "Things korvys thinks about too much". We return you now to your regular discussion.
Last edited by korvys on 22 Dec 2014, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

keybase.io
korvys

Postby korvys » 22 Dec 2014, 20:14

VectorZero wrote:If Korvys and ElFuzzy were playing during invasion block, the damage would go on the stack, then the cloak would trigger and assuming no other actions or effects ElFuzzy's life gain would occur before the damage is dealt.

You were right up till here. Damage Assignment goes on the stack. The damage hasn't been dealt, and the Cloak hasn't triggered. The result would have been the same pre-M10.

keybase.io
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 22 Dec 2014, 21:16

Ah :)

Going back to a previous post, I believe ElFuzzy will still die if your 20PowerDude is enchanted with ElFuzzy's Unflinching Courage, because UC grants lifelink to the enchanted creature and thus the controller of the creature would gain the life, not the controller of the enchantment as in the case of the cloak.
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 23 Dec 2014, 03:33

The moral to take away here is that the only way you're getting out of a swing for lethal without actually dying is to have a means of preventing that damage in the first place (all manner of fogs, blocking), an effect that replaces what would be a lethal attack with some other outcome instead (like having a Fortune Thief in play), or one of the various cards that change the rules about when you would lose the game or what happens if you would (Platinum Angel, Lich's Mirror, etc).

Also, you really shouldn't enchant your opponent's creatures with Unflinching Courage.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Dec 2014, 07:00

korvys wrote:
VectorZero wrote:If Korvys and ElFuzzy were playing during invasion block, the damage would go on the stack, then the cloak would trigger and assuming no other actions or effects ElFuzzy's life gain would occur before the damage is dealt.

You were right up till here. Damage Assignment goes on the stack. The damage hasn't been dealt, and the Cloak hasn't triggered. The result would have been the same pre-M10.

I got a little bit confused in this whole damage discussion. I don't understand the part when Korvys says that Damage Assignment goes on the stack. You are saying this assuming their playing during Invasion block, right?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Dec 2014, 14:28

Does Narset allow you to cast bestow creatures as auras?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”