What type of Christmas will you have?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

White (Snow, traditional)
26%
Green (No-Snow, otherwise traditional)
29%
Brown (Warm / Hot & Dry, UN-traditional)
5%
Mystery Box (AS IS TRADITION!)
39%

Total votes: 38
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 05 Dec 2014, 23:09

This is generally something I post around this time in previous communities, just for the fun of seeing what everybody else's Christmas is looking to be.

Just select why type of Christmas you believe you'll have. DON'T PANIC if things change... you can change your vote to suit the weather / climate. Additional apologizes for those living UNDER the equator as I know it's summer (instead of winter), but still participate here.

AS IS TRADITION for all polls, the mandatory "Mystery Box" option is there for the sake of completion.

Feel free to discuss what you typically do for Christmas as well, since it's interesting to see how others celebrate.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: What type of Christmas will you have?

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Dec 2014, 00:53

Yeah, ever since I've had my own house, I haven't really done Christmas decorations at all. I don't really see the point when no one but my parents come to my house any more, so it would just be me spending more time and effort than the appreciation would be worth. Also, I'm pretty done on Christmas presents these days, too, and most other presents (birthday, etc.) period. I have what I need, and I'm comfortable. The only thing someone could really get me is a game off my Steam WishList that I'll get around to playing some year or other. Other than that, just a couple of things missing in my Star Trek collection (Animated Series, Seasons 2 and 7 of DS9, Into Darkness). But I'm not too concerned about any of that, as I've got plenty to occupy my time already. I think I'm at the point where I'd rather just have cash or something to help me get by in everyday life, as 95% of my "wants" are already covered.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 06 Dec 2014, 00:57

Odds likely cold and either wet or colorful as leaves are still changing here in kyoto
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 06 Dec 2014, 07:53

Under the E-Q son, we don't do snow unless it's high up on a mountain.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 06 Dec 2014, 08:15

I can't remember ever not having a white Christmas.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Dec 2014, 09:20

Same here. A few time's the snow's melted by Christmas, but there's always being a last-minute snowfall to fix that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 06 Dec 2014, 10:41

It's usually green and rainy here, but this year we did already actually get some snowfall, so it's a much more realistic possibility. I would not be surprised either way. So Mystery Box, I suppose.

As for traditions, my immediate family started celebrating on the winter solstice last year, because it left us free on Christmas Eve/Day to do whatever comes up with the extended family. It seemed to work pretty well, and we're going to try that again this year. As long as we have our turkey, tree, and presents, nobody here really cares if it falls on the 25th or not.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 06 Dec 2014, 11:38

Christmas is one of two things. A religious holiday and celebration or a massive retail paradise. I take part in neither.

No Christmas dinners. No Christmas presents. I'm not religious. So I don't celebrate the religious holiday. If others are and want to, that's fine! Go ahead! Just please don't try to drag me into the whole "But it's Christmas! You HAVE to come out! You HAVE to eat with us!"

I am genuinely happy being alone, drinking alone and gaming alone. That is what I enjoy. You can do what you enjoy. Then we're both happy!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 06 Dec 2014, 17:05

I have no idea how to answer this question because I feel as though we have a very traditional Australian Christmas, but no doubt that is exactly what you were envisioning when you said hot & dry, UN-traditional.

Christmas for me involves incredibly hot weather, seeing family, having a cold lunch (the centrepiece of which is a Christmas ham) and pudding. Throughout the day there is an opening of gifts, playing of games (usually whatever you got for Christmas) and with any luck, a thunderstorm.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Dec 2014, 20:34

Given that I am 1 for 26 on white Christmases in this Victoria I think it is most likely that I will not be seeing snow on the ground this Christmas. We will be doing a traditional Christmas for our family: a large breakfast then opening presents followed by a full turkey dinner (salmon for me) in the evening.

The first Christmas I had in Australia was a traditional northern hemisphere dinner in that we sat down to a full turkey dinner and it rained all day. I was also spending it with a few Canadians and an Irishwomen. The second Australian Christmas I had I went to a picnic in a nearby park with friends before a thunderstorm forced us inside. My last Christmas in Australia was hot and sunny and I went to friends for salmon en croute for Christmas dinner.

This year I will be including a bit of Australia in our Christmas dinner this year as we will be having a pavolva for dessert.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 06 Dec 2014, 22:54

Myself, it's been on-off for "white" Christmas's... but most of major family traditions died. Father's side was most due to grandmother passing away (the only thing that kept the relatives visiting from away), which caused a rift on that side. Mother's side was mostly due to cousins drifting away & having their own traditions.

Now, it's a pretty quiet deal. Dinner at parents with my brother's & their immediate family, gifts (if we bother to get any) & a few board games.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 06 Dec 2014, 23:54

It could go either way here in the Netherlands. Could be full on snow, could just be a wet mess. Either way, I will put up my miniature christmas tree today.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Strazdas
First Video: Unskippable: Let's Play series

Postby Strazdas » 07 Dec 2014, 01:57

white most likely. I usually dont care about christmas, however this christmas it happens to be a long weekend that you dont need to go to work, so ill use those multiple days to travel to my parents house in another city for a visit.

Its going to be boring dinner stuff for most part probably but ill get to visit my family so thats the tradeoff.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Dec 2014, 04:16

Murder, fire, bags and putting people in holes. The traditional Mad King Ryan Christmas.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Fluffboll
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Fluffboll » 07 Dec 2014, 04:52

I like snow and want to have a lot of snow during the winter but this winter (much like the last one) here in the middle of Sweden has been disappointingly warm. So warm in fact that the grass is still green :(

As for Christmas itself it's not a holiday I enjoy so I rarely do anything special for it.
How was I supposed it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Dec 2014, 05:33

The poll questions seems strangely limited.

We will be setting up a tree putting presents under it with a 15 foot tall barbed wire fence and a moat to keep out the children, as is tradition. Then on Christmas eve I will build a huge roaring fire in the fireplace and keeping it burning brightly until sunrise while eating milk and cookies, No fat men are going to slip past me and steal our cookies. Then having pilsbury cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 07 Dec 2014, 06:30

I would kill for a cinnamon roll about now... 3 months in japan and i am beginning to miss the oddest things...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Dec 2014, 08:23

The weather around here in Missouri is kind of unpredictable. Earlier this week we had 70-degree sunshine followed by evening frost. So it wavers between white and green for me.

My family usually gathers on the Saturday before Christmas. We have a big meal, usually ham and whatnot. We don't exchange gifts, though. We play a game called Rob Your Neighbor, which involves a pile of gag gifts, an egg timer, and stealing anything that has cool wrapping paper.

On the day of, usually there's a small exchange of gifts with my parents. Otherwise, it's low-key. Our only weird tradition is that my dad always makes fried shrimp on Christmas Day.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 07 Dec 2014, 08:28

Probably cold, dark and wet. Sweden has had increasingly unpredictable weather the last decades, but it seems often the snow comes late and stays late.

I wish we'd have Christmas in February, when the light and the grass has been gone for months and you kind of need something to lift your spirits, instead of no holidays at all between New Year and Easter.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
elcalen
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby elcalen » 07 Dec 2014, 12:19

I always hope for a non-white Christmas. I HATE snow and cold with a burning passion. But the reality is, it's pretty much up in the air here on the south coast of Finland... I'm not sure what the statistics are (I've spent many of my Christmases up north where there almost certainly is snow in late December), but I think it could go either way. Last winter was uncommonly mild (yay!), so I'm kinda dreading this winter will be back with a vengeance...
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Dec 2014, 13:33

I suppose it's time to bring back the ol' Ptang-altered avatar. :mrgreen:
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Dec 2014, 17:39

Took a few hours, but I christmasified my avatar as well.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Dec 2014, 17:47

Me too.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Dec 2014, 20:36

Bam!
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Deedles

Postby Deedles » 07 Dec 2014, 22:46

It can either be really white or just kinda cloudy with rain, because sometimes the snow comes in time for Christmas, and sometimes it comes in January. Either way it tends to stay with us until February/March. :P
Hurp-De-Durp!

Return to “General Discussion”