The thread of hope.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: The thread of hope.

Postby empath » 03 Dec 2013, 14:05

So, our good friend Lord Hosk posted about something that was both win and awe-inspiring...and I think it also instills hope:

Lord Hosk wrote:30 years ago, my cousin was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, and given 5 years to live. 25 years ago she was given a prognosis of maybe reaching her teens, 5 years ago her doctor said "there is no reason you cant have a child as long as you get your weight up, we dont have record of a CF patient giving birth, but we also have less than 100 on the planet who have lived past the age of 23"

Two weeks ago today my cousin checked into the hospital, at 31 years of age she weighed 84 pounds had a blood oxygen level of 84% while hooked up to a O2 tank and a life expectancy of less than a month.

Today a week ahead of schedule, she walked up a entire flight of stairs to give her 4 year old daughter a hug and was cleared for discharge. She checked out of the hospital breathing on her own, with a Blood Oxygen level of 99% the highest it has been recorded on her in 14 years, weighing in at 109 pounds, and barring transplant complications has a life expectancy of 30+ more years. With advances in Cystic Fibrosis treatments at their current rate this transplant may allow her to live into her 80's.

Once again, 30 years ago they told her parents "get all the hugs you can in now, she will probably die by age 5" and she was just told Its possible for you to live to 80.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 03 Dec 2013, 14:24

That's the stuff. The kind of thing that reminds me that only nothing is impossible. Somebody stop me before I try to untangle my signature for you again.

No, I think we're good. Let me just extend my hearty gratulations to Hoskcousin, and good wishes.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
empath

Postby empath » 26 Dec 2013, 17:57

Okay, thread. We've had this talk about you not being on page 1 before...

Here; this should help. Image

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 Mar 2014, 05:13

I am very disappointed that this thread has fallen so far down the list.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/25/upsee-kids-walk_n_5027905.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 03 Jun 2014, 17:33

Let's get this thread back on track!

Talk to us we couldn't get him to laugh or smile it was his second birthday and his second birthday in children's with pneumonia but when he saw them it made his day!!! I guess seeing how excited he was made one of them come in and talk to him and when we told him it was his birthday he left about an hour later showed up with balloons a cake and a couple toys I was so grateful the man (Nathan) was able to get Sam to eat a huge piece of cake and two hot dogs....

It's not a personal story, but one I found on Facebook, and it warmed my heart to read.
Hurp-De-Durp!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 23 Jun 2014, 02:34

Fucking, YES. An awesome story on top of a terrible situation. Hope this trend continues
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Jun 2014, 00:01

I don't even watch, play, follow or have any interest in basketball yet this had me on the verge of tears.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 27 Aug 2014, 16:44

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 12 Sep 2014, 08:37

Hurp-De-Durp!
empath

Postby empath » 27 Sep 2014, 09:30

This thread has slipped off of Page#1; this will not do! :)

Note the letterhead - this is 'official' from the doctors that run the clinic themselves. Image
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Oct 2014, 09:49

Not sure... I'll put it here I guess.

Little Lady Hosk(5) is learning God Bless America in school, so she is singing it around the house.

Littler Lady Hosk (3) Just came up to me and said "I need to sing you my song"

"When the storm clouds gather,
Far across the sea
I live in a country so free
God Bless America,
Land that I love.
God please look after
the soldiers who died.
Stand beside them
at night if they get scared."
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Oct 2014, 16:25

I'm not a fan of national anthems or patriotic songs but...d'awwwwwwwww.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Oct 2014, 19:56

So, I've learned about something that I didn't even know was common or had a name, but I've felt for years. Knowing the name of the thing and that you aren't alone is usually the first step to overcoming it. I'm feeling better.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 06 Nov 2014, 21:40

Lost my phone outside the subway tonight. Thankfully someone wonderful and honest found it. We met up so she could return it. Had to ask a stranger for change to use pay phone (to find the lady with my phone), stranger told me to use her cell phone instead. Two strangers helping me at 11:30pm in a large city = Faith in humanity restored!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Amake

Postby Amake » 06 Nov 2014, 23:08

Anti-vaccination enthusiasts are getting psyched about ebola vaccinations, which gives me hope that they're either going to accept the (nonsensical) risk of their children having Autism is not worse than their children dying, or that their heads will explode.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 06 Nov 2014, 23:31

Amake wrote:Anti-vaccination enthusiasts are getting psyched about ebola vaccinations, which gives me hope that they're either going to accept the (nonsensical) risk of their children having Autism is not worse than their children dying, or that their heads will explode.

Well if they get ebola, they won't explode but will ooze a bit...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Amake

Postby Amake » 07 Nov 2014, 00:40

No no, they won't get ebola, because their complete non-understanding of how an ebola vaccine works is totally different from their complete non-understanding of how flu vaccines, polio vaccines, hepatitis vaccines and chickenpox vaccines work therefore they're not at all worried about it causing Autism. Which I'm hoping will extend to not worrying about anything causing Autism by the logic of connecting the dots. Which I realize is a long way from not thinking Autism is evil. But at least we won't get another polio epidemic.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Nov 2014, 13:29

I was having a really rough deployment and one of the pick me ups I had was called Vicks Vitamin C drops. Wasnt much like 50 cents a box but they pirked me up.

After we moved out of Alaska they stopped selling them in the US, so I couldnt get them anymore.

Meanwhile I had joined this really awesome community that did everything they could to help each other out. the founders of this community even raised over a million dollars to help children in need of a pick me up.

Now I get depressed from time to time and I am in need of a pick me up. Fortunately I live here on the LRR forums.

[–]Graham_LRR
empath

Postby empath » 20 Nov 2014, 15:22

okay...I rushed over here to post about something that made me so...well, 'feels', and then I see this again. :D

ANYWAYS, we just had the DBFH8 phone-in from Penn, and his surprise auction of a trip to Vegas (and multiple shows, a round of golf with his wife, etc. - a whole lot of awesome stuff)...

...and as we had three 'whales' in the big part of the bidding, topping out at around $7600, $7200 & $6500...

...and Penn has to meddle with things and make the whole auction system we've refined over years hiccup:

if the #3 bidder (or someone else) was willing to raise his bid over $7000, he'd give ALL THREE BIDDERS EACH A TRIP!! Image

After a lot of manual arithmetic and confirmations and whatnot, it went through, and that one auction ended up raising a little more than all of the first Desert Bus for Hope. :mrgreen:

DBFH, and the Crew, and the LRR community...and all the guests...

you all make a bitter, scarred and cynical old man cry tears of joy and happiness.

THANK YOU, thank you for keeping this little flickering flame of hope alive. :)
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 09 Dec 2014, 12:04

Hurp-De-Durp!
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 09 Dec 2014, 18:58

Some truly, truly, wonderful things here.
Kudos to everyone, what a great thread.

I cant add a heart-warming story as such, but I do think its cool exoskeletons are now being rented to hospitals to help people walk around.
(and lets ignore the company doing this is actually, for reals, called Cyberdyne...)

There's so many advances every day that is hard to appreciate just the shear number of people working for others. Be it engineers and scientists studying for answers, or nurses and doctors treating the sick, or just a kindly stranger doing what they can.
Often the mainstream media only reports the worst of humanity. We see the worst of the world, daily. Its nice to have an antidote.

And its not just the odd antidotal things either, at least in some measurable ways the world is getting better;
http://annualletter.gatesfoundation.org
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Dec 2014, 09:32

After being fired on Friday and finding out it was a mixed blessing on Monday, I already have an interview now on Wednesday. Here's hoping it goes well.

Edit: Interview went well. They think I'm right for the job, but they'll have to see if the job's right for me, in turn. I'm going back tomorrow for 4 hours of training where they'll evaluate me.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 11 Dec 2014, 06:30

Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Dec 2014, 08:18

He just wanted the thrill of getting it, not the actual ball. :D :)

empath

Postby empath » 11 Dec 2014, 08:50

Yeah, I've actually seen a few gifs like that - someone makes the catch, then gives it to a someone else who almost caught it or the like...

...and why not?

You will ALWAYS have that memory, always remember that moment of triumph. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”