The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Trevor » 16 Dec 2014, 19:47

Prospero101 wrote:Give me REAL characters with REAL problems. A civil war between two families that disagree over the line of succession! A republican rebellion against a monarchy! Space pirates skirting the borders of Citadel space! What's wrong with that? Why does it always have to be vast, unknowable evil?

The game I'm playing right now, Suikoden V, has something a little similar to that second one as it's main plot so far. It also has the first as a minor plot.

Edit: And now I've beaten it. Fantastic game, and the main villain continues to just be a politician right up until the end. Though he does get absorbed into a powerful magical rune and becomes a weird JRPG monster for your final boss fight.

I missed 12 stars of destiny in this one, and while that's a small number against 108 total, some of them I still feel like venting about. Like Oboro's detective agency, who I think makes up an important part of the game, and who I feel the game kind of lead me away from recruiting (and then afterwards I was apparently just thinking about it too hard and missed my second chance).
Last edited by Trevor on 29 Dec 2014, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 17 Dec 2014, 05:40

Prospero101 wrote:Give me REAL characters with REAL problems.

I'll do my best with Dragon Age Origins (as I'm currently playing it right now)

Prospero101 wrote:A civil war between two families that disagree over the line of succession!

Orzammar - Dwarf political feud between a prince and a lord over who should succeed the throne

Prospero101 wrote:A republican rebellion against a monarchy!

The entire human storyline is basically a group of nobles gathering forces to fight against a usurper who seized the throne after allowing the rightful king to die in battle.

Prospero101 wrote:Space pirates skirting the borders of Citadel space! What's wrong with that?

If the Darkspawn incursions into Ferelden aren't enough there's also the Dalish war against the werewolves.

Prospero101 wrote:Why does it always have to be vast, unknowable evil?

A lot of the problems are very personal - do you allow a dwarf girl to study with the mages even though a) it's impossible for her to perform magic and b) doing so will exile her from her family forever? Do you allow a boy to die because the demon possessing him is a huge threat to the nearby town or do you try to save him knowing it may cost the life of his mother?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Dec 2014, 08:08

I wanted to like Card City Nights. In the end, I only ended up being frustrated by the cheating AI. Though this AI literally cheats at one point, and it made me literally punch my table.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 17 Dec 2014, 08:47

Kapol wrote:I wanted to like Card City Nights. In the end, I only ended up being frustrated by the cheating AI. Though this AI literally cheats at one point, and it made me literally punch my table.

Yeah, I ran into that as well. Which is a shame, because pretty much everything else about that game is so darn likeable.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 17 Dec 2014, 08:54

Assassins' Creed: Unity patch size 6.5GB.

What the hell?

Well I'm glad the PS4 doesn't it need to be a continuous connection like the PS3 used to be. The update has been going for almost 5 hours and has downloaded 1.4GB...It says it has 28 more hours to go. At this point it feels like 28 days.

I really hope most of this patch goes to overwrite data, so I don't have a huge 6.5GB eating up my HD.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Dec 2014, 09:26

Be really glad you're not on XBone. The messed up the patch for it, and instead it will download the entire 60GB game.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 Dec 2014, 18:03

Mara Kalat wrote:Yeah, I ran into that as well. Which is a shame, because pretty much everything else about that game is so darn likeable.

Mara.

I just want to know who thought that last boss was a good idea. "Let's make the last boss have a copy of every legenday card in their deck, as well as multiple copies of rares." It's not fun when the opponent is literally cheating and you can't do anything about it. At least not in my opinion.

As for the normal AI cheating... it feels like cheating AI is the 'easy' way to program increased difficulty. And I feel that's what they went with. Though that's a problem with every electronic card game I've ever played to be fair.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Dec 2014, 03:55

Nintendo DS games. Why can't I just play you on the PC?
Why do I have to look at another screen to play you guys?
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 18 Dec 2014, 09:09

DS emulators are a thing and they work fine.
I might have used one to play Phoenix Wright... allegedly. :)
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Dec 2014, 17:59

Fuck Uplay. With something hard and sandpapery. I am boycotting Ubisoft. I will not buy, play, or consume any content related to anything produced by Ubisoft as long as that crock of shit still exists.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Dec 2014, 02:02

ch3m1kal wrote:DS emulators are a thing and they work fine.
I might have used one to play Phoenix Wright... allegedly. :)

Sadly this means you cannot trade/battle with any other human being. I'm sure maybe you can do this to other emulator users, but not to the whole world.

Also you cannot really import your old loveable Pokemon from years bygone.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Dec 2014, 07:17

Prospero101 wrote:Fuck Uplay. With something hard and sandpapery. I am boycotting Ubisoft. I will not buy, play, or consume any content related to anything produced by Ubisoft as long as that crock of shit still exists.

Sure, NOW I read this after buying AC4:Black Flag dirt cheap on a Steam sale, rationalizing 'well, I can put up with extra logins'. You just reminded me of my last interaction with UbiSoft's DRM...

Hawx 2 - long 'soft' flight-sim missions; about forty minutes into one involved air strike, my internet merely hiccuped, and 'UbiSentinel' suddenly decides I must have pirated the game, pauses me in mid-session to tell me it's going to shut down. (for me the real insult was not cancelling out the better part of an hour's blood, sweat and tears to get to that point in the mission, it was the three minutes I had to stare at a halted application with the frustrating 'is now shutting down' in-game dialog plastered up at me)

Oh well, it's a game about piracy; I'll enjoy the irony, and put up with the hurdles for what has near-unanimously been lauded as a fun, enjoyable romp. I just gotta hope that my ISP (and for that matter the Newfoundland power grid) remains stable... /kappa
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Dec 2014, 10:09

Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Maybe you have internet that won't take Way Too Many Fucking Hours to download a 22 GB file. Maybe Uplay will actually log in for you. Who knows.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Dec 2014, 12:59

I have never had any technical problem with Uplay. Moral problem? Outrage! But it's never prevented me from playing a game. It genuinely surprises me that so many DO have problems with it.

Is it their servers? Is it a location thing? Is it game specific? Because it's far from an isolated incident if there are so many outright saying "Fuck Uplay." Apart from it being useless, doing nothing to stop piracy and hurting legitimate users.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Dec 2014, 14:05

Probably a combination of things - location (distance to the Uplay servers), quality of the internet infrastructure, and too rigid controls on Uplay's side resulting in "false positives" for piracy.

Obviously I know nothing about Uplay's infrastructure or if there's anything game-specific about it, but empath's definitely getting hit on the location - all of Newfoundland's internet traffic has to go through one of two undersea cables, one to North America's mainland, and the other to Europe (via Greenland and Iceland). Much of the communication infrastructure in North America isn't up to the same quality as Europe (I'm sure you've seen people complaining about Comcast plenty), and if the quality of Newfoundland's power grid is any indication, empath's probably hit there as well.

So I guess it does largely come down to location - some areas are regularly at greater risk of dropped packets and collisions, which exceed Uplay's tolerances. So while 90% of people may never encounter technical issues with Uplay, the 10% that are affected experience the problems regularly enough that they complain about it and make themselves known.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Dec 2014, 14:21

Well, more specifically, my problem with Uplay happened thusly: I spend the laborious amount of time it takes my crappy internet to download 22 gigs. That in itself is frustrating enough, but there's hundreds of hours of content in AC4, so I'm okay at this point.

Then it takes twice as long to set up as any other game, because it has to download Uplay. Getting a little testy now.

Then I have to log in. Fortunately, I actually remembered my password this time.

Then it said Uplay needed to update, and did so. For two hours. Then it froze, crashed, and made me start again.

I started again, it finally finishes updating and I get stuck with a permanent "logging in..." loop. Then it freezes and crashes again. IT. DOESN'T. FUCKING. WORK.

empath

Postby empath » 21 Dec 2014, 21:18

oh wait. :shock:

I already HAVE a Uplay account...

...from several years ago...

...that I spurned due to bad experiences...

...I wonder if I can remember which email account it's linked to? :roll:
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Dec 2014, 13:06

I'm going to be venting about Wolfenstein: The New Order. Overall, I really like the game so far. The characters besides generic protagonist are fairly interesting. And even Generic Hero manages to get some traces of humanity. The gameplay is largely fun with a good stealth system thrown in. I liked this game a lot.

And then the end came.

Now, I'll get to spoiler vents in a moment. But the big annoyance is the sudden jump in difficulty at the end. I'm playing on Uber, which I haven't found all that hard. Yes, I've died quite a bit. But it's felt largely fair. And a good number of said deaths were me trying to do goofy stuff like getting the bonuses. But I've had little trouble overall. But then the end came. And the game just suddenly starts sticking the player in areas filled with BS enemies, starting them with low health, and to top it off, gives very little recovery options. So once you get below 20 health, you're basically dead. It's just been such a massive jump in difficulty that I'm getting pretty frustrated. To make matters worse/harder, the stealth system I've liked has become virtually worthless now.

Now for spoilers:

So, you steal a U-boat mid-game. It's basically a combination submarine and helicarrier-type water vessel. It's pretty neat. And it's also very large, with enough room to house the three helicopter things the party stole. Hell, it has the capability to launch nuclear missles. And yet... everyone stays at the old base. In the middle of Berlin. In the sewers, where there's no escape. ...why? Why not move to the location that's both mobile and more secure?

Well, plot's why of course. The group gets invaded. Bunch of people get killed, your girlfriend and some other people are captured, and you have to escape. Where do you go right away? Back to the ship. :/

I hate when they have to contrive the plot in order to make things like this work.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 24 Dec 2014, 13:18

Now I remember why I tend to play games on my lonesome, and keep all my excitement to myself; Ain't got anyone to enthuse about them to.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 24 Dec 2014, 15:24

Deedles wrote:Now I remember why I tend to play games on my lonesome, and keep all my excitement to myself; Ain't got anyone to enthuse about them to.

Hey, you can always enthuse about them to us! : )
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 24 Dec 2014, 15:59

Hmm, that's true, there is a game general chat for a reason(if I can't find a thread for the game in question).
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Dec 2014, 07:16

It's difficult when you watch/play something that you personally adored but have no one really to talk to it about.

I want to talk about the Imagnitirum Film by Nightwish and the game Transistor, but I have no one to speak to about these things.
empath

Postby empath » 26 Dec 2014, 14:54

Paradox: I know your company name is probably a double(or more) entendre, but WHY do you have to make games where the tutorials are IRREVOCABLY BROKEN?!? If you don't want people to be instructed or 'led by the hand' in how to play your games, just DON'T HAVE THEM; don't put a half-assed concession in that LOCKS UP THE APPLICATION!

...and you wonder why Firaxis trounces you in the 4x market, even with buggy and unfulfilling games that need DLC to complete them...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Dec 2014, 10:41

Having secured finance about a PC I will have soon makes me even more frustrated at my laptop's limited ability to run things.
Especially since I can see things that really need to be addressed.

My laptop overheated the other day from playing WoW whilst running music player in the background.

Game vent cos I play games.

Having it so close makes me want it even more. I know I won't have to put up with this shit for much longer, and that makes me much LESS tolerant.

I'm amazed at how I've evaded Dragonage Inq spoilers so far. That's one game I'll be buying solely because of my new rig.

My time limit for the new PC is before the new Rollercoaster Tycoon game comes out. I want to be in a position to produce video content to exploit the launch. Hopefully in the process I can encourage more people to play.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Dec 2014, 16:35

It's really annoying how Nintendo is handling the entire Amiibo situation. They didn't release a lot of supply of certain characters. Which I understand honestly. But they started to sell out pretty quickly. If that's because Amiibos as a whole were much more popular than the expected, if people were speculating on the low-stock figures, or if those figures were just more popular than they thought would be the case, I don't know. But it's lead to certain characters being nigh-impossible to find without a major price increase (some are going for up to $50).

The worst part is that this has also lead to new ones selling out super quick due to collectors needing to snap them up, and price-gougers grabbing them to sell them when the price goes up from low supply. The one figure I want, Lucario, is sold out at the place it's exclusively available. It isn't coming out for over two months. Little Mac just came out a couple weeks ago. I checked 8 stores in town to find one for my friend, who REALLY wants one. There wasn't a single one left.

Low supply wouldn't honestly bother me that much if Nintendo just came out and said they were reprinting them. But they've been super unclear about what they're doing. They said they're already discontinuing some. But they don't say which. They don't make it clear if and when any other figures than the super popular ones they've overstocked are going to come out. This is what lead to speculators buying up the smaller print ones, and making it nigh-impossible to find them. This seems to only apply to the US though from what I've read.

Return to “Video Games”