The thread of Magical win

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

The thread of Magical win

Postby Kapol » 25 Feb 2014, 22:10

So we have a general thread of win, but I feel like we should have an MtG-specific thread for times you either have or remember where you just feel... good about something that happened. Basically a way to counteract the venting thread.

To start off, I was just remembering the time when I won Game Day (my first Game Day in fact). In the top 8, I faced a deck I don't remember too well. I ended up killing him with Sigarda, Angel of Jubilation, and other things. This made it hard for him to do anything. When the game was finished (it was game 2), he flipped down his hand. He had an answer for Sigarda... Phyrexian Metamorph. The issue? He didn't play blue...

For those who don't know, Angel of Jubilation makes it so players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities. Phyrexian Metamorph uses blue Phyrexian mana. Which means he could either pay blue (which he didn't have) or pay 2 life (which he couldn't due to Jubilation) for that one mana source to play the card. It basically meant he was screwed. His deck used a lot of 'make you sac a dude' which Sigarda prevents, hexproof prevented her from being targeted, and Jubilation prevented him from casting his answer.

I also enjoyed the fact that Angel of Jubilation won me the day. My opponent was playing a bunch of stuff like Wurmcoil Engine and Runechanter's Pike, to give you an idea of the deck. But I just kept putting out so many guys who kept getting bigger due to the multiple Angels of Jubilation meant he couldn't outrace me. At the end I flunged (before LRR made it cool) and he just didn't have any way to stop me from dealing 50 damage to him, despite being up to 40.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: The thread of Magical win

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Mar 2014, 07:13

I'm not very good at Magic, to be honest. I know all the theories, I listen to the podcasts, I watch the videos, but for some reason, when I actually sit down to play, all of that goes down the drain. Hell, I can't even shuffle properly. Something in the way I do it makes my lands clump up. Not even kidding.

So I have to set other win conditions for myself, before I start flipping tables. At FNM last night I moved in on a blue-white heroic deck...but missed out on all the heroes. But I did end up with four Hopeful Eidolons. In round three I was able to bestow two Hopeful Eidolons onto a third Hopeful Eidolon.

EIDOLONCEPTION!!!
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
castlewise
First Video: Story Guy?

Postby castlewise » 02 Mar 2014, 06:28

I played my first MTGO last night, a BTT draft. I watch LRR and LR on youtube, so I get the theory, but it turns out its harder when you only have 30 seconds and someone isn't immediately pointing out the good picks. So I ended up with some sort of Blue/Red thing and between playing for the first time in a decade and learning a new interface I made a bunch of funny mistakes which you all might enjoy:

- Casting Thassa's Rebuff with no blue devotion on the board making it the least effective counterspell ever. (I thought Thassa's Rebuff would count itself.)
- Casting Minotaur Skullcleaver in my second main phase against an opponent with no blockers, forgetting the whole point of Minotaur Skullcleaver
- Tapping all of my land on my first main phase, realizing I don't have enough to cast the creature I wanted, not knowing how to untap my land, and then spending a whole turn manaless, unable to cast combat tricks and counter spells.
- Casting Rage of the Gods not realizing that it hits my creatures too and leaving myself with nothing facing down a giant triple pants dryad.
- Saving up mana for a sneaky combat trick kill not realizing that Bolt of Keranos is a sorcery.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. The highlight is that I actually went 2-1. After I killed all my own creatures with Rage of the Gods my opponent attacked with his giant creature, but didn't leave up a blocker because I was topdecking at that point. I drew the Minotaur Skullcleaver, remembered that it has haste, and got my first MTGO win.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Mar 2014, 08:11

Prospero101 wrote:I'm not very good at Magic, to be honest. I know all the theories, I listen to the podcasts, I watch the videos, but for some reason, when I actually sit down to play, all of that goes down the drain. Hell, I can't even shuffle properly. Something in the way I do it makes my lands clump up. Not even kidding.

So I have to set other win conditions for myself, before I start flipping tables. At FNM last night I moved in on a blue-white heroic deck...but missed out on all the heroes. But I did end up with four Hopeful Eidolons. In round three I was able to bestow two Hopeful Eidolons onto a third Hopeful Eidolon.

EIDOLONCEPTION!!!

The shuffling thing is a noted side effect of over-shuffling; shuffling a little bit tends to produce a fairly even spread of cards through a deck, but too much and you get a more truly random arrangement of cards with a greater propensity for clumping.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 02 Mar 2014, 08:22

In a game of commander last night my friend had Hive Mind out and then cast warp world, which i then proceeded to reiterate and then my other friend also reiterated it, it took at least and hour and a half for that stack to resolve.

By the end I had no permanents left, one guy had almost none and there were two players left with decent boards, it was just stupid, lucky we set the timers to an hour and a half!

All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Mar 2014, 09:10

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:The shuffling thing is a noted side effect of over-shuffling; shuffling a little bit tends to produce a fairly even spread of cards through a deck, but too much and you get a more truly random arrangement of cards with a greater propensity for clumping.

So how much shuffling is over-shuffling? Usually I pile shuffle, followed by two or three riffles.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 02 Mar 2014, 11:03

That is not over-shuffling, in a tournament that could easily be described as under-shuffling, as in a tournament setting pile shuffle despite the name does not count as shuffling but a method to check that the number of cards in your deck is correct.

Edit: By tournament I mean Rules Enforcement Level Competitive or Higher
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 02 Mar 2014, 16:21

I pile shuffle (6 piles), riffle 3-4 times, then pile (8 piles), then riffle about 7-8 times before I present to my opponent.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 02 Mar 2014, 21:29

I'm trying to think what I do. I pile shuffle in between each game and riffle until I feel right about it, depending on time.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Jan 2015, 17:30

That feeling of completely shutting down a control deck in cube with a single Voice of Resurgence.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 01 Jan 2015, 18:08

The feeling of casting a Creeping Corrosion against an Affinity deck with all of its Cranial Platings in play. especially when it's a card you threw in as a one of for no reason but flavour because you're playing a bad Infect deck.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 03 Jan 2015, 04:44

Have enough QP's for 2015 MOCS Season 1 Prelims! Do-p-p-p-e.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 18 Mar 2015, 13:38

The feeling of playing a Siege Rhino with Courser of Kruphix and Ajani, Mentor of Heroes in play, searching with Ajani, finding another Rhino and then cracking the fetchland and revealing another Rhino on top of the deck after shuffling.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 28 Mar 2015, 05:52

Big Image - Click to Expand

Nothing more satisfying than hardcasting Emrakul in a draft. I don't care if I lost the other matches - I got there and that's that. Haha.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”