Things on My Stream

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Things on My Stream

Postby Paul » 12 Jan 2015, 09:18

Paul rides solo as he hangs out with the chatroom, and shares games he loves. Action, strategy, point-and-click adventure titles: all these things are on Paul’s stream.

Now a regular part of the schedule!
Mr.Wizard
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet 1

Re: Things on My Stream

Postby Mr.Wizard » 12 Jan 2015, 18:22

Really glad that Things on My Stream now has a regular time slot. I like Paul's take on games and Things on My Stream tends to be really chilled out and relaxed.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Jan 2015, 18:56

Yeah, that was totes worth it; new and slightly improved overlay, dedicated slot for paul's awesomeness...great time!

I love that you outsourced the 'action movie witty tagline for boss fight win' to chat...and chat stepped up admirably. :D
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 20 Jan 2015, 09:19

Since the last stream kind of spun into a bit of a discussion about They Might Be Giants, and I am very much obsessed with all their music, I feel like making a rather lengthy post about them for those interested.

For starters, a chart I found on reddit (/r/tmbg) for those wondering where to start:

(My entry point, admittedly, was The Else, but that did jog my memory of hearing them a bunch on Tiny Toons when I was younger, as well as that Doctor Worm video.)
(Also, Here Comes Science is awesome, regardless of whether you have kids or not. But feel free to use it to introduce the band to your kids if you do have them. Not that I honestly know from experience.)

From there, some of my choice videos from their recent albums (I'm pulling from their YouTube page):

In addition to all that, their YouTube channel has a bunch of their albums available to listen to in full. And they relaunched their old Dial-A-Song hotline as well as made a companion website for it, dialasong.com.

...And now I just wrote the longest advertisement for TMBG ever. I shall leave gracefully.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 20 Jan 2015, 20:59

I don't know what my exact entry into TMBG's music was, as friends of mine were routinely singing songs from Flood and Lincoln well before I bought any of their albums, but the first actual album of theirs I got was Mink Car, strangely enough. Then I sort of worked backwards to Flood and Then: The Earlier Years (effectively the pink album, Lincoln, and Miscellaneous T all stuffed together), then eventually they started to dominate my music collection. More when I started grabbing their rarities and oddities from various places (and hoo boy, do they have a LOT of rarities, demos, and b-sides).

The great thing about them is that though they do have some themes they like to go back to regularly, they have an incredibly wide range of styles at their disposal. They just love to make music, and it shows.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 22 Jan 2015, 13:28

On Monday (Jan 26, 2015) I will be starting the stream a little early and doing some AskPaul Q&A before getting down to gameplay. This would be an excellent opportunity to ask any questions that may require a more detailed response then you can get in a tweet or during a group podcast/panel, especially if they are questions specifically for me or about the LRR website design or infrastructure.

Post your questions in this thread to make sure I read them, but I will also be taking questions from the chat during the stream.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jan 2015, 13:48

I was wondering if the forum could be changed from fixed-width to dynamic-width. And, if so, whether that would be what people want or not.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 25 Jan 2015, 19:09

Any plans for a "Thok Smash" or "Thok him up" shirt?
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 25 Jan 2015, 23:48

How did your character in Commodore Hustle end up being a super (dangerous) scientist?
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

jaxturtle
First Video: Commodor Hustle Season 1 - Laundry

Postby jaxturtle » 25 Jan 2015, 23:58

Who do I have to bribe to get you on Feed Dump more often?
vuc
First Video: Feed Dump Tigers and Sheep

Postby vuc » 26 Jan 2015, 01:26

Can you explain process of translating your sketch scripts to actual filming: when and how do you choose camera angles, locations, transitions between scenes etc.?
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 26 Jan 2015, 01:40

Have you ever thought about selling digital versions of your DVDs? If yes is it something you could do now you have more time?

Do you find new sea shanties to sing? If so what's your favourite of last year?
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jan 2015, 02:43

What's the difference between letting an actor's charisma carry a performance as a mark of respect and requiring an actor's charisma to carry a performance to cover for other problems, like a duff special effect or a dodgy script?

To what degree is the former a sign you're on a roll and the latter a sign things are going off the rails?

Were Joseph and Mary in A Little Drummer Boy meant to look that much like Graham and Kathleen?
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 26 Jan 2015, 08:26

Are you going to make efforts to pull ads and things like that from around the internet that still advertise the weekly sketches, or are all those beyond your control and done by The Escapist or other companies?
beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Postby beowuuf » 26 Jan 2015, 10:32

Have you ever thought about doing a duet with Tycho from PA, you guys both have surprising singing voices, like to burst in to song, and have similar song choices when you do.
emberBecky
First Video: Pocket Planes

Postby emberBecky » 26 Jan 2015, 12:59

How did you enjoy LRRcon? Being less crowded and more LRR focused, was it more comfortable for you than something like PAX?

I wasn't able to attend last May.. but if you guys did it again I would definitely want to go and it would be cool to get to meet you there. :D
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jan 2015, 13:48

Did you have a nice Burns supper last night?

Did you get any killer swag from the others at PAX South?

Can we get a rendition of Little Drummer Boy at a suitably inopportune moment in the stream?
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jan 2015, 14:52

Will you bring back the Music section of your online store?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 27 Jan 2015, 14:16

Paul, now that Grim Fandango has been re-released, will you be playing it on stream?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 07 Feb 2015, 23:32

Bad News: Graham and Kathleen are out of town on Monday, so no Checkpoint this week :(
Good News: ToMH starting an hour early at 2:00 PM PST for lots of Grim Fandango action! :)

(see the schedule for start time in your timezone)
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 16 Mar 2015, 07:41

I'm not revealing what I'm going to play today, but let's just say that Lord Hosk will probably want to tune in ;)
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Mar 2015, 17:51

I tuned in as much as I could. It was amazing!

Im going to highlight every line of dialog!

Your stream is on while I am in my monday night class so I was watching on my phone under the desk and for awhile in the computer lab next door.

a couple of general tips:

a trip to the surface does not cost 1 fuel unit it varies planet to planet based on the atmosphere, when you select "dispatch" to go down to the surface when landing site targeter appears a "fuel consumption" will appear just under your ships picture replacing the date. Most Vacuum worlds like the moon take .1 fuel units.

your lander has a capacity of 50 mineral units, a small mineral blob is 1-13 (average 10) medium is 14-20 (average 16) and large is 21-30 (average 25) Generally speaking 5 or more Grey or better mineral blobs are worth a trip to the surface, 1 or more if its Gold Orange or purple.

Most life forms will chase you, so a great method is the run and turn. drive strait away from them until they get JUST to the edge of the screen, then turn and start shooting until they get close then turn and run again, you can hit them 2-3 times with your stunner depending on their speed.

Planets that are "safe" are 3 or less weather, 4 or less tectonics and less than 100 degrees C. if you are careful you can avoid those earthquakes and lightning by just continually moving, never sit still on a planet, dont pivot in place make a driving turn around.

Now a couple of little spoilers

1 system good resource trip 1-2 cargo pods full super close ~3000 RU

Delta Centauri 131.2:126 a yellow star just inside Iwrath space most times they wont be present, if they are there it might not be worth it.

Planet VI treasure world some earthquakes
Planet IV Radioactives and red
Planet IIb Radiatives and life get the radioactives first then work on collecting life.
planet VIII just reds but VERY SAFE and you are already here.

Several system trip 4 cargo pods full ~10,000-12,000 RU requires about 100 fuel

If you sell off your pkunk Ships for RU and return to their homeworld on this mission they will give you a few more.

Epsilon Giclas 95.8: 46.8 ~900 RU
Planet I

Beta Giclas 84.3:43.1 ~600 RU
Planets II, III, IVa

Delta Giclas 87.7 34.0 ~ 2300 RU
Planets II, III, IV, V, VIII

Gamma Giclas 80.3 33.7 ~250RU
Planet II, III

Eta Giclas 70.8 04.1 ~4500 RU
Planets I, II, III, IIIa, IV

Alpha Krueger 30.4: 47.7 ~500 RU
Planets IIa, III

Beta Krueger 53.0 : 44.2 ~250 RU
Planet III

Zeta Krueger 13.4: 56.5 This one is a bit of a challenge ~1200 RU
Planets II, III

Rainbow worlds
039.5 : 745.8 Beta Pegasi I
283.6 : 785.7 Epsilon Draconis I Near Q-space 476:458
468.1 : 91.6 Zeta Sextanis I Near Q-Space 516 : 466
543.7 : 827 Epsilon Lipi I Near Q-Space 476 : 458
602 : 297.9 Gamma Keplet I Near Q-space 516 : 466
766.6 : 866.6 Beta Leporis I Near Q-space 530 : 528
853.4 : 879.7 Gamma Aqurii I Near Q-space 530 : 528
996 : 904.2 Groombridge Near Q-space 530 : 528
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Mar 2015, 13:23

I can do a key must do points off the top of my head, or a complete every significant event and location if I look at my notebook.

I wasn't planning on doing this because half the fun of this game is the exploration but I can if you would like hide each one in a collapse tag like above?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 20 Mar 2015, 07:58

So with Soulblazer done, have you considered playing any of the Ys games on stream Paul? Ys I & II (Chronicles), III (Oath in Felghana), and Origin are all on Steam. Ys V: Kefin, Lost City of Sand also has a fan translation if you can get an SNES rom of it.

Edit: Technically the original 2 Ys IV games are also available as roms (The Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun), but they were replaced by Memories of Celceta on the Vita anyways. Also the original Ys IVs weren't by Falcom anyways.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 20 Mar 2015, 13:18

The Ys games are quite fun, especially if you like Zelda-esque titles. Worth noting, though, is that there are essentially three styles of Ys games that I've come across:

Ys I and II: wherein there is no button to control the sword, instead, you auto-attack enemies by "bumping" into them, but they also auto-counter-attack, so combat consists of finding the right angle to hit them from so that you damage them but they don't damage you. Probably the most Zelda-esque games.

Ys Origin / Oath in Felghana: Much more action-oriented, with combos and magic. You now have control of your sword and have to do lots of dodging and attacking. Kinda God of War-meets-2D Zelda.

Ys Seven / Memories of Celceta: Like the Origin/Oath system, but now with a full party and a slower pace that focuses more on setting up proper sequences of moves. Plays a lot like the combat in a Tales game.

However, Ys VII and Celceta aren't available on PC, so unless the LRR crew possesses a method to stream PSP or PS Vita games they'll have to stick with the others.

Since the order of games is a bit confusing (most of the titles have been remade multiple times, and the remakes sometimes drop the sequence number) the release order (with remakes being placed where the original game would be) is as follows:
Ys I
Ys II
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys: Memories of Celceta*
Ys: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand**
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim**
Ys Origin
Ys Seven

*Apparently there are multiple games that were originally called Ys IV, but this is now the canonical one.

**Not released in English, so far as I'm aware.

The in-game chronological order is, I believe, identical to the above, so long as you move Ys Origin to the first slot, as it's a prequel. That said, it's full of references to Ys I and II, so it doesn't really make sense to play it first. Confused yet?

That said, the games are pretty plot-light, so the above list doesn't really matter.

TL;DR: Ys games are fun Zelda-like action-adventure RPGs that don't get anywhere near the attention they deserve, and four of them (I, II, Origin, and Oath in Felghana) are available on Steam for not very much.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”